What Are Some Of Your Most Favorite Athiest Quotes? (Must Read Book)

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
What Are Some Of Your Most Favorite Athiest Quotes? (Must Read Book)

I recently bought this book called "The Quotable Atheist" that came out this year and inside there's thousands of quotes from every Atheist past or present that you can think of. I always wished there was a book that would make theist's really think, and this book does just that. You can just open up to any page and the the truth is staring right back at you. There's so many famous people, and even religious people quoted saying stuff that make them look crazy... 

Here's some of mine, post some of your favorites in you have any...

Jomo Kenyatta - "When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible."

Mark Twain - "A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned away for what he knows."

"More than two hundred death penalties are gone from the law books, but the text that authorized them remains."

"Most people can't bear to sit in church for an hour on Sundays. How are they suppose to live somewhere very similar to it for eternity."

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the sightest inconvenience from it."

"The bible commanded that [witches] should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church . . . gathered up its halters, thumbscrews, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest. She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches. . . . Then it was discoved that there was no such thing as witches, and NEVER had been. One does not know whether to laugh or to cry."

Mark Twain is off the chain!!!

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's my favorite

Here's my favorite quote:

"No myths need be embraced for us to commune with the profundity of our circumstance. No personal god need be worshiped for us to live in awe at the beauty an immensity of creation. No tribal fictions need be rehearsed for us to realize, one fine day, that we do, in fact, love our neighbors, that our happiness is inextricable from their own, and that out interdependence demands that people everywhere be given the opportunity to flourish.

The days of our religious identities are clearly numbered. Whether the days of civilization itself are numbered would seem to depend, rather too much, on how soon we realize this."

- Sam Harris 2006 The End of Faith

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been wanting to get

I've been wanting to get this book for a while now.  I want to order it, because I don't want a thumbed-through copy from the book store.  But I never seem to have enough money to spare.  I also want to get ATHEIST UNIVERSE.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Another Mark Twain: "Faith

Another Mark Twain:

"Faith is believing in that which I know ain't so."

"Fear paints pictures of ghosts and hangs them in the gallery of ignorance" - Robert G Ingersoll

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
VV Right there in the sig

VV Right there in the sig is my favorite

others include:

"I think religion is to be admired for asking the right questions. I just think it's got the wrong answers" --Richard Dawkins

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand" - Mark Twain

"There are none more ignorant and useless, than they that seek answers on their kneew, with their eyes closed" - Anon

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.  Teach a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish" - Anon

"The invisible and the non-existant look very much alike" - Delos McKown 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
“In science it often

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.”
- Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP Keynote Address

And the quote in my signature.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
"It is rather arrogant to

"It is rather arrogant to assume a book written by primitive men living in caves, scared by the power of nature and the unpredictability of it all, could somehow explain the origins of the universe." - BGH

LOL.... I am not really all that boastful, but I thought this was a good one.

Anything from Sagan, Ingersoll or Twain is pretty much guaranteed to be a gem.

Check my signature ......

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
this is a poem by Eugène

this is a poem by Eugène Chatelain from the late 1800s, its called Non ! Dieu n’est pas !

"Non, le soleil illuminant le monde.
Les astres d’or planant dans le ciel bleu,
Les océans où la tempête gronde
N’affirme point l’existence de Dieu !"

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: "It is rather

BGH wrote:

"It is rather arrogant to assume a book written by primitive men living in caves, scared by the power of nature and the unpredictability of it all, could somehow explain the origins of the universe." - BGH

LOL.... I am not really all that boastful, but I thought this was a good one.

Oh no!  Not boastful at all!  Dork - just for the record I noticed this in one of his posts and asked him if I could use it in MY sig line. 

This has always been one of my favorites:

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."  Susan Brownell Anthony

And then there is my original sig line:

"I believe in the power of cake.  In times of trouble as well as joy and happiness, I turn to cake and I feel better.  When my friends are experiencing problems I bring them cake and they feel better.  Cake works."  jce

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: this is a

Gauche wrote:

this is a poem by Eugène Chatelain from the late 1800s, its called Non ! Dieu n’est pas !

"Non, le soleil illuminant le monde.
Les astres d’or planant dans le ciel bleu,
Les océans où la tempête gronde
N’affirme point l’existence de Dieu !"

Translation please - very few people here speak French.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, I only put it in

Sorry, I only put it in french because it doesn’t rhyme in english but its called “No! There’s no god!”  and it wants to say:

the sun brightening the world,

the golden stars gliding in the bleu sky,

the oceans where the tempests rumble,

in no way suggest the existence of a god.

it’s kind of addressing the argument from wonder I guess.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Sounds good to me!

Sounds good to me!

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know if God exists,

I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't.  ~Jules Renard

You found God?  If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours!  ~Author Unknown

God: a disease we imagine we are cured of because no one dies of it nowadays.  ~E.M. Cioran

Those who believe that they believe in God, but without passion in their hearts, without anguish in mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, without an element of despair even in their consolation, believe in the God idea, not God himself.  To believe in God is to believe none of these feelings exist.  ~Miguel de Unamuno (As quoted by his student, Xavier Manestario)

To put one's trust in God is only a longer way of saying that one will chance it.  ~Samuel Butler

There is a God-shaped vacuum in every heart.  ~Blaise Pascal

We climb mountains because they are there, and worship God because He is not.  ~Mignon McLaughlin

The young do not need God, and the old cannot find Him.  ~Mignon McLaughlin

Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire cat.  ~Julian Huxley

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, and Stephen Crane: A

Oh, and Stephen Crane:

A man said to the universe: "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the universe, That fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

I'm going to post some of his poems here in a moment.  He is so wonderfully bitter and died at 29.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stephen Crane

Stephen Crane continued:

A Man Saw a Ball of Gold 
 A man saw a ball of gold in the sky;
He climbed for it,
And eventually he achieved it --
It was clay.
Now this is the strange part:
When the man went to the earth
And looked again,
Lo, there was the ball of gold.
Now this is the strange part:
It was a ball of gold.
Aye, by the heavens, it was a ball of gold.

A God in Wrath 
 A god in wrath
Was beating a man;
He cuffed him loudly
With thunderous blows
That rang and rolled over the earth.
All people came running.
The man screamed and struggled,
And bit madly at the feet of the god.
The people cried,
"Ah, what a wicked man!"
And --
"Ah, what a redoubtable god!"

A Spirit Sped 
 A spirit sped
Through spaces of night;
And as he sped, he called,
"God! God!"
He went through valleys
Of black death-slime,
Ever calling,
"God! God!"
Their echoes
From crevice and cavern
Mocked him:
"God! God! God!"
Fleetly into the plains of space
He went, ever calling,
"God! God!"
Eventually, then, he screamed,
Mad in denial,
"Ah, there is no God!"
A swift hand,
A sword from the sky,
Smote him,
And he was dead.

Think As I Think 
 "Think as I think," said a man,
"Or you are abominably wicked;
You are a toad."
And after I had thought of it,
I said, "I will, then, be a toad."

You Say You Are Holy 
 You say you are holy,
And that
Because I have not seen you sin.
Aye, but there are those
Who see you sin, my friend.

Two or Three Angels 
 Two or three angels
Came near to the earth.
They saw a fat church.
Little black streams of people
Came and went in continually.
And the angels were puzzled
To know why the people went thus,
And why they stayed so long within.

If There Is a Witness 
 If there is a witness to my little life,
To my tiny throes and struggles,
He sees a fool;
And it is not fine for gods to menace fools.

rolat3
User is offlineOffline
these are some of my

these are some of my favorites

1.The theory that there exists a super-human, supernatural intelligence who deliberately designed and created the universe and everything in it, including us is a scientific hypothesis like any other, one that should be treated with as much scepticism as any other hypothesis.-dawkins

2.The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization.-Freud

3.Never trust the word of god when it comes from the mouth of men.

4.I don’t think any of us have much respect for someone who only behaves morally because of the great surveilance camera in the sky.-Dawkins

5.Go read your holy book, your brain needs a good washing.

6.I can say that with all do respect because no respect is actualy due. Anyone who has to demand respect, automaticly deserves riticule.  If you deserved respect, you would already have it. In fact youd be rolling around in it like a televangalist in other peoples money.-Pat Condell

8."The laws of physics do not make way for convinience." - Taylor H.

9. Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?" - Annie Dillard
10.”I like your Jesus. I do not like your Christians, they are nothing like your Jesus.” – Gandhi11.scientist - If Jesus was born from Mary, a "pregnant virgin"
what did Jesus’ DNA system look like? Humans HAVE to have two parts to make another human: a male and a female. Jesus only had a female's!
W!
Creationist – but, but, hes the son of god…Scientist – oh, that explains it… (snicker)

12.”a religious war is when two groups of people kill each other over who has the best imaginary friend.”

13."I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

14”The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Poor Richard's Almanac

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those are some great

Those are some great quotes. Smiling  Here's a few of mine:

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." - Ann Lamont

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin

"All that is good in religion can be had elsewhere." - The End of Faith by Sam Harris, page 149

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens, The End of Faith by Sam Harris, page 176

"The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence." - Thomas Henry Huxley

"The legitimate powers of government extend to only such acts
as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor
to say that there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my
pocket, nor breaks my leg." - Thomas Jefferson

"The last thing a person of faith wants to hear is the truth." - Friedrich Neitszche

Atheism is justified.
    1. If God exists, everything that exists is part of God's plan.
    2. Atheists exist.
    3. Atheists are part of God's plan.
    4. Therefore, God wants atheists to exist. - Unknown

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some great quotes posted in

Some great quotes posted in this thread, here a few of my favourite. 

"Reason is nothing less than the guardian of love." - Mr. Harris

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. " - Nietzsche

"Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions." - Nietzsche

I know it's not from an Atheist but I love Robert Kennedy's speech on the Mindless Menance of Violence. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, rolat3! When you

Welcome, rolat3!

When you get a moment, we'd love it if you'd hop over to the General Conversation, Introductions and Humor forum and introduce yourself. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Great response to theists

Great response to theists who say we don't have anything to replace religion with:

"A destroyer of weeds, thistles and thorns is a benefactor, whether he soweth grain or not." - Robert Green Ingersoll.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
"It's fair to say that the

"It's fair to say that the Bible contains equal parts of fact, history and pizza." --Penn Jillette

"A Jerry Falwell clone named Baily Smith observed that 'God Almighty does not hear the prayers of a Jew.' This is the only instance known to me of an anti-Semitic remark having basis in fact." --Christopher Hitchens

"If a triangle could speak, it would say, that God is eminently triangular, while a circle would say that the divine nature is eminently circular." --Spinoza

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." --James Madison

"Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen." -- Michel de Montaigne

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe. It is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." --Carl Sagan

"Nothing exists except atoms and open space; everything else is opinion." --Democritus

________

And one of my own:

"Usually, it isn’t for the misinterpretation of Holy Scripture that people do evil things, but rather, that they do good things."

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
Either man is a mistake of

Either man is a mistake of God's, or God is a mistake of man's.                          --Nietzsche

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Religion is bollocks Why do

Religion is bollocks

Why do atheist women look like angels and atheist men look like bald fat people?

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that god doesnt exist as the bible one is a cunt

Quotes by me

MyDogCole
MyDogCole's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Atheism is more than just

"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature." ~ Carl Sagan

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

"Arguments that explain everything, explain nothing." ~ Christopher Hitchens

"One does not become an atheist to gain emotional comfort or popularity. One becomes an atheist because honesty compels." ~ John B. Hodges

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." ~ George Bernard Shaw

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." ~ Abraham Lincoln

iranu
User is offlineOffline
 Gonna mix a few up

Gonna mix a few up here.  There are so many that I like I used keep a list!  Now with the use of the interweb there are huge lists.  Some of my favs.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful - Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d.

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. - Emo Philips

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself. - Richard Francis Burton (1821-1890)

I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.- Douglas Adams

Christians worship a dead Jew on a stick. - George Carlin

Why do you write to me "God should punish the English"? I have no close connection to either one or the other. I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held. - Albert Einstein

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those are some really good

Those are some really good quotes everyone, The rational of the atheist is so right that it seems like it can't get any righter...

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

TakeCashToChurch
TakeCashToChurch's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Jesus didn't die for MY

"Jesus didn't die for MY sins!  He came back three days later.  He merely had a bad weekend." - me, a favorite to say to those who are persistent about Jesus to me.

"You call me crazy for not believing in your god, yet you talk to your mattress every night"  - me!

I love provoking statements that make people think.  And I'm never afraid to use them.   

Every step I took in faith betrayed me

-Sarah McLachlan

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion is an insult to

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.

~ Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate in physics

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
TakeCashToChurch

TakeCashToChurch wrote:

"You call me crazy for not believing in your god, yet you talk to your mattress every night"  - me!  

LOL, I've got to use this one!!!

Slimm,

Quote:

rational_terp
User is offlineOffline
Dear Mensch schuf Gott nach

Der Mensch schuf Gott nach seinem Bilde.

(Man created God in his image.)

- Ludwig Feuerbach, 1841