7 Horrible Things before dying of old age

xkcd
User is offlineOffline
7 Horrible Things before dying of old age

There are 7 horrible things a person has to look forward to before they die of old age; one or more of the 7 HT can happen to anybody, really.

1.) Premature death

2.) Handicapping

3.) Disfigurement

4.) Disease

5.) Prison

6.) Poverty

7.) Losing your mind

Gee, I wonder which one(s) I'll get before I die? Yay!

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Instead of buying into your

Instead of buying into your pessimistic worldview, I'll put up 7 good things that happened to me today. Little things that help remind me how good I've got it.

1) I woke up, well rested and healthy.

2) A really good song came on on the radio, and I didn't get caught in traffic.

3) I got my paycheck a day early, a pleasant suprise.

4) I gave someone a couple bucks, he didn't say "god bless you"

5) I was able to apologize to my sister for an argument we got into, and we ended up having a good conversation filled with joking and laughing.

6) I called my girlfriend and  suprised her, which made her day, which made mine.

7) the sunset reflecting off the river was very nice today.

See? That was just one day. I could probably just as well come up with 7 reasons why today could have sucked, and at points today it sure seemed like it, but I'm not.

It's all about perspective, I suggest you try changing yours.  

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
How do you get premature

How do you get premature death before you die?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can one truly enjoy life if

Can one truly enjoy life if they are preoccupied with death?

FACT: You will die someday.

FACT: You are living NOW.

FACT: Barring any of the aforementioned unexpected complications, you will be alive tomorrow.

FACT: Lesser people than us have great lives. Regardless of ideology, race, gender, or mental stability and barring any of the 'unforeseens' they will be alive tomorrow as well.

Conclusion: If I don't die or face an unexpected complication then I should plan on living tomorrow with the other people living. This isn't a replacement to the original question. It is a conditional.

By removing the negative language from the above conditional to arrive at a positive statement then I get:

If I live tomorrow then I must plan on living with other living people.

I can enjoy that. What prevents you from doing the same besides the things mentioned in the other thread concerning your emotional state?

I have not seen a rational argument for these nihilistic tendencies. Ever.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
1.) Premature death - Came

1.) Premature death - Came close enough times...

2.) Handicapping - I broke my arm once and have thrown out my back a few times. Hurts now a matter of fact, I picked up my elderly neighbor in haste , who fell down in his driveway and couldn't get back in his walker.

3.) Disfigurement - Chicks dig scars

4.) Disease - I was an Alcoholic.. Hard to get control of it, but was a lot of fun getting there.

5.) Prison - Been in some fights with guys from jail, does that count?

6.) Poverty - Been there done that. Try eating butter soup for awhile, it sucks, It gives new meaning to being a starving artist but I can afford lobster now.

7.) Losing your mind - Does LSD count?

But it's my life, I wouldn't trade it with anyone. I ended up with the best kids in the world.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

Voided
User is offlineOffline
1.) Premature death If you

1.) Premature death

If you die you die. The idea that you're going to die "early" is kinda like worrying your were born too early or too late.

2.) Handicapping

Good chance to improve medicine by being the test subject of things like bionic limbs.

3.) Disfigurement

Its character damn it, grow some balls. (not the nicest or most rational response, but you are worrying about how pretty you're going to be...)

4.) Disease

Again a chance to improve medicine.

5.) Prison

Ok, don't fuck up then.

6.) Poverty

Well you could not fuck up here too, but no cash isn't the end of the world...

7.) Losing your mind

Actually you could look forward to something like that, depending anyway. If you lose your mind there is that whole problem with not having a firm grasp on reality, but you would be able to pretty much get away with anything. Also its not like you are going to realize you're losing your mind and that padded room could be anything your mind "wants" it to be.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now that I think of it, I

Now that I think of it, I do want to add a bit about one of your points.

3) Disfigurement.

When I was four, I was in a car accident and went through a car windshield. I had severe disfigurement of my forehead and needed a lot of plastic surgery, today I still have faint scars and deep wrinkle like ridges on my forehead. Personally I think it gives me a sort of distinguished appearance. And I can make some pretty cool expressions just by shifting my eyebrows because of it. 

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
1.) Premature death - This

1.) Premature death - This won't happen before you die of oldage, it happens instead of dying of old age.

2.) Handicapping - Hey dude, fuck you. I am a wheelchair user and If I had the chance to throw away that aspect of myself I would say NO WAY. Handicapping is not horrible, it's just another way of being. I am just as fucking valuable with a wheelchair as when walking. Not to mention "Handicapping" is an old and outdated way of saying things. It's PERSON WITH A DISABILITY to you.

3.) Disfigurement - Attitude is everything, bro. I know a guy who was burned in a fire when he was five. Kids look at him and scream that he is a monster because of the way he looks. He loves his life. He gets to teach kids that people are different.

4.) Disease - everyone gets diseases.

5.) Prison - Not really planning on going to prison. I am also not taking part in acts which might lead me there. So this isn't really likely.

6.) Poverty - Can suck, but your attitude can make it suck a hell of a lot less.

7.) Losing your mind - Now that can be horrible. But I am not going to go kill myself now just because I might lose my mind one day.

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

ABx
User is offlineOffline
Hopefully it doesn't take

Hopefully it doesn't take one of those things for you to appreciate life. If you're lucky enough to not have experienced any of those things yet, then you should realize the luck you've had thus far and the opportunity it affords. There's plenty of people that haven't been so lucky, that would trade you places any day of the week, but wouldn't take it for granted.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
xkcd wrote: There are 7

xkcd wrote:

There are 7 horrible things a person has to look forward to before they die of old age; one or more of the 7 HT can happen to anybody, really.

1.) Premature death

2.) Handicapping

3.) Disfigurement

4.) Disease

5.) Prison

6.) Poverty

7.) Losing your mind

Im willing to bet #7 happens to you/ or already did happen. 

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote:

AbandonMyPeace wrote:
Im willing to bet #7 happens to you/ or already did happen.

I think you're onto something and the more I think about it, the more I realize that #7 is simply a sub-catagory of #4..

See I have already made your day better by eliminating one of the horrible things.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
1.) Premature death   2.)

1.) Premature death

2.) Personal Disability

Severed tendon (repaired)

3.) Disfigurement

Skin graph on left pinky finger.

4.) Disease

Experienced bronchitis numerous times.

5.) Prison

Not too hard to stay out of if you use your head.

6.) Poverty

Money management, education -> good job

7.) Losing your mind

Hopefully, it must be blissful!

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
This thread belongs in

This thread belongs in Trollville.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am 29 and use a cane as a

I am 29 and use a cane as a result of a stroke.  So, I am handicapped.  If I took anything you said seriously, I would be insulted that you would consider my situation a horrible one.  The cane is a distinguishing figure, women come to me at clubs because they can see that I cannot dance, and I am always remembered. 

I am willing to wager that the helmet you are forced to wear distinguishes you.  I know it is for different reasons, but you must make chicken salad out of chicken shit sometimes.  Now, quit whining and go live. 

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
xkcd wrote:

xkcd wrote:

1.) Premature death

2.) Handicapping

3.) Disfigurement

4.) Disease

5.) Prison

6.) Poverty

7.) Losing your mind

You forgot one:

8.) Reading another whiny thread started by xkcd

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
.... and there are exactly

.... and there are exactly 2,412,854,956 mediocre, good, cool, enlightening, educating, fun, funny, enjoyable, amusing, sexual, arousing, awesome, great... etc, things that can happen to you throughout this life where we should cherish each moment.

I know nothing about you but I can tell you there are already a few good things in your life. You can read and write, you have a computer and can operate it, you can see (I think), you are breathing, your heart is still pumping, you still have tomorrow and you have consciousness and can think about anything you want.

Why focus on the negative and bad things? 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
xkcd, I'm going to be

xkcd, I'm going to be polite about this one more time, then I'm just going to start modding without comment.

We are familiar with your philosophy. You have started a thread in which you defended it, and others debated it. This thread is not a different topic. We have rules against spamming here. Spamming includes multiple posts on the same topic, and I'm counting this as your third post on the same topic.

Consider this a warning. Spamming is not tolerated, and may result in a temporary suspension of your account or a permanent ban, depending on the consensus of the mod team.

If you post another topic about how much life sucks, I will immediately move it to trollville and lock it, and will temporarily suspend your account until the mods discuss whether or not to ban you. Capiche?

You are welcome, and in fact, encouraged to post new topics about anything you like except for your philosophy of nihilism and angst. This is the last thread that will be allowed on the subject.

{edit: Grr.... I meant to say multiple threads on the same topic, not multiple posts.  I'm not going to stop this thread, or any of the previous ones, so post all you like in these threads.  These are your "whine" threads, and as long as people continue to cater to you, I'm not going to stop them.  Just don't post any new threads about it, ok?}

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

dragomike
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I am 29 and

Nero wrote:

I am 29 and use a cane as a result of a stroke.  So, I am handicapped.  If I took anything you said seriously, I would be insulted that you would consider my situation a horrible one.  The cane is a distinguishing figure, women come to me at clubs because they can see that I cannot dance, and I am always remembered. 

I am willing to wager that the helmet you are forced to wear distinguishes you.  I know it is for different reasons, but you must make chicken salad out of chicken shit sometimes.  Now, quit whining and go live. 

Is there any chance you look like Gregory House M.D.?  Because if I was a chick I'd do you.  But I'm not, so I just to have my picture taken with "House" and then be told to GTFO my fat ass out.  Laughing out loud

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am hijacking this

I am hijacking this thread.

House is the sexiest atheist EVER. OMFSM. The eyes, the eyes!