something i found funny

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
something i found funny

i was talking with my christian friend online about norse mythology. and somehow we got into this.

themarsvolta01: may thor strike you down

THEDukeNukem: i hope it happens soon

THEDukeNukem: and i don't so much worship my god, my god requires no worship

themarsvolta01: neither does mine

THEDukeNukem: who is your god?

themarsvolta01: i have none. thats why i dont need to worship w00tz0rs

THEDukeNukem: eh, everyone needs something to believe in

themarsvolta01: not rly

THEDukeNukem: even if they know there's no chance of it being real

THEDukeNukem: maybe it's a luxury then

themarsvolta01: i would like to believe in it. but i refuse to if i don't think its real

THEDukeNukem: those that don't think believe, you know Eye-wink

THEDukeNukem: you don't have to believe in what they tell you to believe

THEDukeNukem: believe in your imagination and what it creates, then you'll be happy

THEDukeNukem: like me Laughing out loud

themarsvolta01: no, then i would be a schiozophrenic

THEDukeNukem: perhaps

Ni9htmar3r
User is offlineOffline
He sounds real deluded and

He sounds real deluded and happy to live in his dreamworld even though he knows it ain't real

THEDukeNukem: believe in your imagination and what it creates, then you'll be happy

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
THEDukeNukem: believe in

I dated a chick who went by that philosophy, but she took it literally. It was almost exactly like solipsism. Drove me crazy, and of course, it was completely unfalsifiable, since to her, "belief was everything" and if you believed in something, it would become so. 

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dante626 wrote: I dated a

Dante626 wrote:

I dated a chick who went by that philosophy, but she took it literally. It was almost exactly like solipsism. Drove me crazy, and of course, it was completely unfalsifiable, since to her, "belief was everything" and if you believed in something, it would become so.

I used to believe that too, especially in my Theistic times. I used to think that God exists if I believe in him. Everything can happen and everything is possible, because my experience is the only experience that matters. No matter how delusional I may be.

I still sorta believe in this. I do think that my experience is the only experience that matters, and that reality exists in my mind. Not vise-versa. Although I don't believe it as seriously as I used to.

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's the difference?

What's the difference?

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like someone could

Sounds like someone could use a visit from the Brick of Faith. Here's how it works:

I throw the brick at someone's head and, as long as they truely believe the brick is made of foam, it shouldn't affect their intelligence.

243 satisfied doubters and counting.

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ha Ha! I always wanted to

Ha Ha! I always wanted to say that to her, but there's nothing more dangerous than a pissed off girlfriend...

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard

inspectormustard wrote:

Sounds like someone could use a visit from the Brick of Faith. Here's how it works:

I throw the brick at someone's head and, as long as they truely believe the brick is made of foam, it shouldn't affect their intelligence.

243 satisfied doubters and counting.

The pain from the brick is not on your skin. It's all in your head, because the pain receptors send the message of pain to the brain. You can't really avoid from the pain by getting thrown with a brick, because our bodies are "built" to respond to pain in such a way.

To avoid getting hurt from the brick is to either get braindamaged somehow. So your mind creates the illusion that the brick doesn't hurt so bad, and it's made of foam. 

The best alternative is to become a masochist. You could begin to learn to enjoy the pain, then it wouldn't be so bad to get thrown by a brick.

The conclusion: Getting thrown by a brick is not really "bad". It's your own perception of reality that creates such an impression.

Besides, me and that girl are propably the only two solipsists in the world. Smiling 

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pain is your body telling

Pain is your body telling you there is something happening to it, and you should f-ing pay attention. The pain of being hit by a brick isn't "all in your head." It is a direct response to stimulus, and in this case, to damage being done to your body. If pain were to become pleasure, people would not respond to it the same way they do now, which is to recoil away from whatever is causing the pain.

The conclusion: Despite the fact that the "sensation" of pain is developed in your brain, it is still a response to a negative stimulus occuring somewhere on your body that needs to be dealt with. (Of course, this is only for normal circumstances. This would be different for such things as phantom limb pain.)