"Coming Out" stories

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Coming Out" stories

I've been visiting this website far too much.. haha

Anyway, I have a Childs curiosity deep within me. I keep putting off asking this question (because I feel stupid) but I'm also really curious. It seems like everyone has a story, and I'd love to hear all of yours regarding this issue.

The more time I spend on here, the more I realize that there seems to be a 'coming out' process for many atheists. (that term really bugs me for some reason..) So I'm wondering what your "coming out" story is.

I guess I'll start and share mine:

My mother found "the satanic bible" in my nightstand and started hauling me off to the bishop to have missionary discussions every Sunday after sacrament meeting. We'd debate for about two hours. I was about 15, and the only thing I knew at the time was I was sick of no one being able to answer my questions and God and the Prophet were really starting to piss me off. I would stump him every time. Which really started me thinking: this man was a spiritual leader to at least 300 who were in my ward alone and he was getting stumped by some 15 year old girl who had an anger problem and never cracked a religious book besides the book of mormon in her life. He’d always end the discussions like this:

“Wow, I wish I could have met you on the mission field. Your one tough nut to crack. It would have been really fun to encounter you. Remember, Sarah, even Einstein believed in God.” I swear I will never forget that.

So after a few months of this, I went home and told my mom I wasn't going to do it anymore. I was an atheist and I didn’t care who had a problem with that but if this is the best God has to offer me in the way of ... well everything, I don't want any of it.

My mother, I think, had a heart attack on the spot. She called a 'family night' to discuss this. My dad asked me to pray and I refused, at which point a huge fight broke out, complete with flying books and everything else. My mom sat on the floor screaming "how can you not believe in God? What, you think this is all CHAOS?!" My brothers and sisters were all informed in the "spiritual death" of their little sister (me...) which was beautiful since half of them refused to talk to me for years.

We didn't talk about it for a few years, then a few months ago my mother asked me again if I believe in God and I said "not a chance" and she asked why and I started ticking off the reasons... she said "it's just a phase in your life" or some such nonsense along those lines..

Amazing what pull religion has over people. I love it when they proclaim tolerance out of one side of their mouth, yet feel completely backed by God for ignoring everyone as though they are dead who they disagree with.

Anyway, enough of that.. anyone else have any stories?

--Sarah--

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
first, i'd like to ask did

first, i'd like to ask did you tell your pastor that when einstien said god he meant the universe? and/or it doesn't matter if a smart person believes or not theres this process called "compartmentalization".

now my "coming out", I didn't really have any problems. I told my mother and father. My mother just told me "I'm disappointed but still accept and love you". My father i think has been an atheist for a long time (althought he won't admit it).

I haven't talked to my born again sister since she found out i was an atheist. She found out when my mother got me "The god delusion" for christmas. I heard she said something to my mother along the lines of "Why would you give him that book on the day we are celebrating the birth of our lord and savior".

Other then that my coming out wasn't that big of deal. Oh that christmas i had a discussion about evolution with my other creationist brother in law. I still feel stupid about that day. He asked me a question to which i had no answer. "Why , according to evolution, is there more sexual animals then asexual? After all asexual animals don't need a mate to procreate".

With my girlfriend , she's was atheist already, i don't ever think she was a theist. She basically told me "Damn it took you this long?" She was instrumental in my deconversion from theism.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I haven't "come out" yet,

I haven't "come out" yet, as I am unsure as to what  I really am at this point... though, I must ask: Delphic, why DID you have the satanic bible at your house?  I mean, in my opinion, Satanism is more stupid than Christianity - and you must have realized that, living in a Christian household, having that found would get your ass kicked.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

qbg
User is offlineOffline
I sadly have not come out

I sadly have not come out yet. Sad I haven't come out yet because with the situation that my family is currently is in, I just know so many people will have a false notion of why I am an atheist. In addition, one time I tested the waters a bit by asking my pastor some questions (and not being happy with the answers) and my mom became very angry quickly so I started with my ruse that I am a theist. On the other hand, I have made some progress with avoiding church.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Not much happened when I

Not much happened when I told my friends/family I was an Atheist.  I've only been an Atheist for about 4 months now.  I wasn't really religious to begin with though.  My mother is a gnostic Christian (I think that is what she said), I have no idea what my older brother is, my younger brother doesn't deal with the issue, and my sister is spiritual.

When I talked with my younger brother is seems like he was more of a deist than anything, but when I asked him why he kept putting god( something he doesn't know exists) to answer the question why does anything exist another something he doesn't know, he said I have no idea, so maybe I can get through to him.   He really doesn't take issue with most things.  He thinks Christianity is messed up and most religions, but still believe in a deity, at least I think he does.  Getting him to talk about it is the hard part, I don't think he likes the discussions.

My Mother and I talk every once and a while she is into the Psychic's like Sylvia Brown.  I try to show her youtube videos of Sylvia's mistakes, but I don't know if that is the correct path to get her away from theism. I figured since she took me to church every Sunday for so many years, at least I should be able to try to convince her otherwise (payback).  According to her she used to by psychic and predicted a plane crash one time, which caused her pastor at the time to quit his position, so at least he helped in that bit.  I don't know if the story is true as I only have her and my grandmother to back it up.  She didn't seem disappointed or displeased, and for some reason she still thinks all good people go to heaven, or something Sylvia Brown told her. With that in mind I don't know why she still thinks of herself as a Christian.

My sister, I think had the hardest problem with it, not anger, but she has a lot of fear of death.   She has argument's like of all there is, is material, then love isn't real.  I am trying to remember the counter arguments.  She also says something about meaning, and I tried to tell her about local or personal meaning, but nothing beyond that and I think her fear is what is keeper her from searching for deeper answers.   Any suggestions on overcoming that fear that I might be able to help her with? She also thinks most Christianity is a bit crazy.

Have not told my Father, I have not talked to him since November of last year, for other reasons. Probably will never talk to him again.

I have not told my older brother.  I don't know what goes on in his head most of the time.  He isn't collected in thought.  He will answer questions you asked him days ago, in the middle of a conversation not related to the question.  Most of the time he doesn't even tell you what question he is answering until you pry.

My other extended family (cousins, aunts, uncles), area bit more on the crazy Christian side.  I have not told any of them outright yet.

My Aunt Rosie, is crazy she believe in being subservient to her husband. That Satan is responsible for bad things.  When her husband got run over by a semi (he lived), she said it was the work of Satan.  I told her it was an accident. When she gave me detail about it, I show her where she was wrong, and she told me to speak with her husband because she wasn't allowed to talk on the matter. I don't know what that means.

I have not talked to any of my cousins, yet. 

My other uncle Mike, is by far the craziest.  Over the past 7 years he has been creating a family tree that roots "our entire family" back to Adam/Eve.  He lives to far away to really talk to him about the subject.  My Mother and Grandmother both think he's a little too far off the deep end.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Max Wilder
atheist
Max Wilder's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: I mean,

xamination wrote:

I mean, in my opinion, Satanism is more stupid than Christianity...

Take a look at the Wikipedia entry on the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Bible

I haven't read it yet, but my understanding is that it is not about worshipping the Christian devil, but the true meaning of the word Satan as "he who opposes". Anyone who does not worship God is technically a Satanist by that definition. Even more so those of us who wish to actively destroy the mind disease of theism.

That being said, I haven't told my parents yet about my beliefs, or lack thereof. They're getting old, and I'm not sure if I want their waning years to be spent worrying about the eternal soul of their youngest child. Their church is their primary social group, and I doubt if they will give up their beliefs. I may be compelled to try at some point, but I haven't decided yet.

I have no problem telling my peers about their irrational beliefs, however.

-----
I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.
- Douglas Adams, Salmon of Doubt

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I was raised to

I was raised to always question everything by my father. For the longest time I held the posistion of a deist. Until christmas of 2005 when I became sick with a rare condition known as RHS, or Ramsey-Hunt Syndrom.

From there I hoped beyond hope there was a personal God to hear me pray for healing through all of 2006. I attended church with my grandmother and prayed everyday in the shower.

Well my condition worsened as I developed shingles and then PHN, or Post-herpectic Neuralgia. After far too long of feeling ignored by a God I hoped existed I turned to the other side and began investigating the arguments for and against Gods.

Now here I am. Still ill, but because of Atheism teaching to care for myself and not depend on an imaginary God crutch, I have found the strength to diet, excersice and slowly work my way back into the working world and off Social Security.

Then I went and broke my leg...Frown But all in all that's my story. Hope it didn't bore too much.

I suck at signatures.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Max Wilder wrote: That

Max Wilder wrote:

That being said, I haven't told my parents yet about my beliefs, or lack thereof. They're getting old, and I'm not sure if I want their waning years to be spent worrying about the eternal soul of their youngest child. Their church is their primary social group, and I doubt if they will give up their beliefs. I may be compelled to try at some point, but I haven't decided yet.

I have no problem telling my peers about their irrational beliefs, however.

My answer is nearly identical.  I fear that discussing this with my parents would lead to a major health malfunction on their part and it seems cruel.  It is unlikely, though, that I will ever ask them to give up their beliefs.  Like most religious moderates, they are fairly reasonable politically and they do not run around preaching to others so there is little reason for me to start a huge family rift over it.  My friends....well that is a different story - LOL.

Big Willem
User is offlineOffline
When I became an atheist at

When I became an atheist at 15, I didn't want to go to church anymore, for obvious reasons. When I told my parents they were not pleased. They thought I didn't want to go because I was being rebellious and I wanted to sleep on the Sunday morning. Both true but not the main reason. And I was not ready to tell I was an atheist yet. Every week this became an issue on Sunday. Until one day in a heated argument with my parents I said "I don't want to go to church, because I don't...... believe......in....." I stopped before I said God. My father whom I love and respect had raised his hand and was about to hit me. I was 100% sure if I would have said "God", I would have got a smack (he has never hit me!). I never talked with my father about my personal beliefs, or lack there off, again. Years later I talked about it with my mother and she is ok with it now. She thought I didn't believe because I was lazy or not interested in religion. She was shocked to find out that I studied the bible and Christianity to a far greater extend than my sisters, who are all still theists. She respects the fact I made a conscious choice.

My oldest sister and youngest sisters are Theist. They don't go to church and are not really Christians, but believe there is something. They don't mind I am an atheist and were not really surprised when I told them. They never married, but are in loving relationships and have children (not baptized) with their long-term boyfriends. I must also admit my parents have become really open minded about these things and my father had mellowed a lot. My middle sister is a different story. She has always been religious and so is here husband. I told here once I didn't believe in God and she looked at me as if I was insane.

All my friends were Christians and I lost them all. That was a surprise for me at the time. I told some of them and they didn't really react. The next time I saw them they took me apart for an intervention. They tried to convince me I was wrong and took turns to argue with me. When they saw it was useless, they said they would exclude me from the group if I persisted. I remember sagging against the wall and sitting on the floor in shock and then getting up and walking away, leaving all my childhood friends behind. I was dead to them from then on.

Now I am open about my atheism. Which is not very difficult here in Holland. I think you actually run more risk of ridicule when you are an active Christian/Theist than being an agnostic or atheist.

lier
User is offlineOffline
I have been an athiest for

I have been an athiest for probably 3 years, but didn't really consider myself as such until recently. I kept pretending for a long time to still be a believer because I live in a Christian bubble. My family is Christians, my friends are Christians, and my co-workers are Christians.

I have to continue pretending around friends and co-workers, due to the fact I would loose my job tomorrow if anyone had a clue that I was working for this company and wasn't a believer.

My parents, however, I have shared my non-belief with. They are Bible believers, but do not agree with organized religion. They have not attended church in years. My mom shrugs my non-belief off as I am just confused and will eventually come back to Jesus. My dad says he has raised me the best he could, and it is now up to myself to decide what I want to believe. He supports me in whatever I choose, however, I'm still wrong. But Jesus died for my sins, he says, so I'll still go to heaven.

I asked my mom about prayer. Why doesn't God answer prayer? She says the issue is that people ask with their minds and not their hearts. God only hears prayers of the heart.

My sister I've not discussed it with. She isn't a church-goer, but does believe. She is pretty fragile emotionally and if she knew I was an athiest I'm not sure how bad it would affect her. I'm not ready to talk to her about it just yet.  Someday.

I'll never say anything to my co-workers. I'm trying to find another job and won't have contact with them afterwards anyway. They are in it too deep and would never defect. My friends already shun me for not attending church with them weekly. I think I'll do more learning before I become open about my athiesm. I'd like to be prepared to answer questions and ask my own when cornered. Once I come out I'll loose all of them.

If you want to make a little money, write a book. If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion.

L. Ron Hubbard

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
i was born and raised in

i was born and raised in Kansas, and my parents were very casual christians. they didn't go to church, say grace, or even talk about religion at all, really. when my two older sisters and i were just starting school they took us to a lutheran church and said "give it a try. if you like it you can keep going". and so i went to sunday school, was baptized and confirmed.

i enjoyed the social aspect of church, but even after reading the bible cover to cover i had a hard time swallowing it. so when i was 12 i decided i couldn't fake it anymore just to hang out with my friends at youth group, so i told my parents i didn't believe in god and i was done with church. i don't remember their exact words, but the gist of it was "ok, whatever is right for you". 

i told a few close friends and they thought i'd lost my mind. but it blew over. by the time i graduated high school i wasn't the least bit concerned about announcing my atheism in public. maybe it's the town i grew up in, but it's just never been a big deal.

my parents are still believers, but they never question or criticize my atheism. everyone that's ever met my mom and dad swears their the coolest parents that ever walked the earth. i'm inclined to agree. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Li Yuki
Li Yuki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey

........I went to a catholic school for 9 years...

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Li Yuki wrote: ........I

Li Yuki wrote:
........I went to a catholic school for 9 years...

No wonder you're an atheist! 

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: I

xamination wrote:

I haven't "come out" yet, as I am unsure as to what I really am at this point... though, I must ask: Delphic, why DID you have the satanic bible at your house? I mean, in my opinion, Satanism is more stupid than Christianity - and you must have realized that, living in a Christian household, having that found would get your ass kicked.

Honestly? I had it in my house because I was 15 and rebelling and I knew if my mother saw it she would shit a different kind of animal than anythig previously known on earth...

I read it, I thought it was stupid, but it was really one of the "first" books other than the book of mormon I read along religious grounds and in some weird way it was instrumental in me realizing "hey, there's so much MORE than mormonism out there!"

--Sarah--

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia wrote: I

Cassiopeia wrote:

I was raised to always question everything by my father. For the longest time I held the posistion of a deist. Until christmas of 2005 when I became sick with a rare condition known as RHS, or Ramsey-Hunt Syndrom.

From there I hoped beyond hope there was a personal God to hear me pray for healing through all of 2006. I attended church with my grandmother and prayed everyday in the shower.

Well my condition worsened as I developed shingles and then PHN, or Post-herpectic Neuralgia. After far too long of feeling ignored by a God I hoped existed I turned to the other side and began investigating the arguments for and against Gods.

Now here I am. Still ill, but because of Atheism teaching to care for myself and not depend on an imaginary God crutch, I have found the strength to diet, excersice and slowly work my way back into the working world and off Social Security.

Then I went and broke my leg...Frown But all in all that's my story. Hope it didn't bore too much.

Not boring at all! I love to hear other people's stories. I'm sorry your leg is broken. I hope it heals well.

--Sarah-- 

Li Yuki
Li Yuki's picture
User is offlineOffline
olah is halo spelled backwards

zntneo wrote:
No wonder you're an atheist!

lol, yeah i think you have to be pretty blind to still beleive in god after studying him/her/an unrealisitic surpreme being that gets its kicks from watching us suffer/it for 9 years, and taking test on the bible every week(of course excluding summers).

Warning the following post may be offensive to certain people. Theist are not advised to read unless they are prepared to debate!
Side effects include possible deconversion, rational thought, and the lack of fear in the easter bunny.

violator
violator's picture
User is offlineOffline
My mom is a very

My mom is a very fundamentalist christian and raised my sister and I to be the same. I might still be a Christian if I hadn't been raised to see Christianity in such a fundamentalist, bible-literalist, young-earth type of way. After I moved out of my parents' house at 18 and quit going to church every week, doubts slowly but surely started creeping into my mind. There were so many things that didn't make any sense to me about it, and I simply didn't believe in anything else like that (ghosts, psychics, astrology, etc.) But I was afraid of going to hell, so I'd just push those things out of my mind.

My faith ran into trouble that it would never recover from in 2006. One of my best friends told me that she was an atheist that year. I came to learn that she had been molested by her own dad when she was younger, and could see that this was a large part of the reason for her atheism. My mind was completely incapable of reconciling this with a loving god. How could god send her to hell for that? This caused me to start identifying myself as an agnostic.

Back in January 2007, I saw a book in Borders called "The Varieties of Scientific Experiences" from Carl Sagan. Over the past few months, I'd found myself wanting to believe in god but not being able to find any reason to. So I picked up the book, and that was the first time I encountered the Problem of Evil. Having majored in computer engineering in college, the logic behind the Problem of Evil just spoke to me. There it was, looking right at me: proof that an all-powerful compassionate being does not exist. I tried to dismiss it or find an argument for god that was as good, but there was nothing to be found. (Brings to mind a line in a Bad Religion song that goes: "What good is searching, if nothing's there to find?" )

Eventually I picked up "The God Delusion", which confronted and dealt with the few remaining issues I had with atheism. I still wasn't comfortable calling myself an atheist until I watched the RRS debate Way of the Master. The look on Ray and Kirk's faces when Brian asked them "If god can be infinite, why can't the universe be infinite?" was priceless! After watching that debate, I actually felt proud to be an atheist and started being outspoken about it around my friends.

A few of my theist friends still try to debate me, but I'm good enough with logic that I can easily dismiss their arguments. They don't really judge me, but I think I may have sparked some doubt in them since they keep trying to show me evidence that god exists. My family is a different story though, I'm being more careful about how I come out to them. I told my sister over the phone a few weeks ago. She was suprised, and I told her that I'd talk to her about it if she wanted to. She told me "No, I'm sure you have good reasons for it." I'll tell my dad soon, I don't really think he'll care much, he never really went to church with us growing up. He may even be an atheist himself, but never told anyone. My mom is going to be another story altogether. I know that once I tell her, she's going to lose it and start giving me all kinds of jesusbooks and stuff to show me that god is real. I've been writing a lot during my deconversion and plan on putting it into book form and giving it to her once I tell her so that I don't have to explain everything to her. I've thought about trying to publish it, but I dunno, we'll see how good it is once I re-read it.

'The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference.'
- Richard Dawkins