No love, no point

Koibito San Jie
Koibito San Jie's picture
User is offlineOffline
No love, no point

Throughout my life, I was told God was with me, and that God loves me.  I think it's a bunch of bullshit.  Everyday, I walk this nasty, stinky rotten world unloved and unwanted.  Now, if there was really a God who loved me, I don't think I'd feel this way. 

There is so much hate, loneliness, isolation, and other nonsense that is totally opposite of God.  If there was a God who loved us, or who was supposed to love us, wouldn't there be more love in the world?  And also, if he is supposed to be so good, why does so many terrible things happen to innocent people, especially children?

If there is a God, He hates us all and wants to destroy us.  Terrorism and murder are not limited to human beings.

Your thoughs?

Love,
Koibito San Jie 

I need real friends. Imaginary friends are for kids-- Ely Toka, Goddess of Butterflies

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, there are many

I agree, there are many horrible things in this world that rule out the idea of a loving god. But there are also a lot of good things. I guess the silver lining on pain is at least you feel. You're alive and aware of youself, something that is amazing considering the things that could of happend to keep you from being in the first place 

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I would agree with

I would agree with you that the world is pretty damn cold at times, but I guess it really is what we make it out to be, some people come from loving homes and end up cold hearted, others from being abandoned and left on their own have shown great love towards others. I must say it really does come down to how you view the world and what you make of it, what you do with what you have and what is presented to you. Either way there are going to be people who are cold hearted bastards and people with lots of love for everyone around them.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Throughout my life,

Quote:

Throughout my life, I was told God was with me, and that God loves me.  I think it's a bunch of bullshit.  Everyday, I walk this nasty, stinky rotten world unloved and unwanted.  Now, if there was really a God who loved me, I don't think I'd feel this way.

The greatest thing I get from not believing in gods is a sense of self-determination. If there's something I don't like about my life I can do something about it. If god was in charge all I could do would be accept it as his will.

Yes reality is cold and harsh, it was clearly not designed for our comfort, and a lot of the time the people around us make it worse but we don't need to accept it.

I don't know if your statement comes from a specific incident, or from long term problems with people or just an objective observation. If it is a refelction of something you are going through then stop and think about how you can change the situation for the better. It's not easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is. The feeling of control over your own life you gain is usually a much larger positive than the change itself.

If you are feeling lonely then you need to make an effort to find genuine people to spend time with or maybe be more open with the firends you already have. Wonderful people are out there, even though they often seem very rare. I know a few Smiling

Bottom line, If life sucks then do something about it. God wont help you.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Koibito San Jie

Koibito San Jie wrote:
Throughout my life, I was told God was with me, and that God loves me. I think it's a bunch of bullshit. Everyday, I walk this nasty, stinky rotten world unloved and unwanted. Now, if there was really a God who loved me, I don't think I'd feel this way.
There is so much hate, loneliness, isolation, and other nonsense that is totally opposite of God. If there was a God who loved us, or who was supposed to love us, wouldn't there be more love in the world? And also, if he is supposed to be so good, why does so many terrible things happen to innocent people, especially children?
If there is a God, He hates us all and wants to destroy us. Terrorism and murder are not limited to human beings.
Your thoughs?
Love,
Koibito San Jie

This certainly brings up the moral issue of an "all loving" god as a claim. But dont let bitterness and anger at what humans are doing to each other allow you to wallow in hate.

This is a lagitimat objection to the claim of "all loving" as a concept or atribute of a claimed god. But, the only reason to accept or reject a claim is evidence.

I reject the concept of any deity on issues of "Hocus Pocus" or absurd claims that go against reality.

I would asses the issue of "all loving" only as a speculative statement without real anger at fictional beings.

I'd say, "The only conclusion I can come to, if one were to pretend for argument's sake, that if such a being were to exist, that such a being is a prick."

Maybe I am wrong, but your hostility shows strong in this post. I just warn you to understand that your anger can consume you if you let it. You cant be angry at fictional beings. If it makes no sense to be angry at Thor or Apollo then it should make no sense to be angry at Allah or Yahwey or Jesus.

What you are really angry at are people who have better ways of looking at life other than superstition.

The issues of crime, desease, genocide and war certainly to me would be contrary to someone who says, "I love you always" and then provides us with such a lousy home and then blames us for what it started. Remember though, this is nothing to get angry at because it is just a claim.

It is more important to focus on positives in showing people that they dont need these ancient myths to find solutions to problems that affect all of humanity. 

There are 6 billion people on the face of the planet and it should be painfully obvious to all that seeking to "squash" others in the intrest of a single club(label) becoming the alpha male of the planet is absurd. If we as a species can minimize the harm that "Capture the flag" mentality has, that is a worthy and obtainable goal.

But dont let your anger consume you. The best thing to  do is to take that anger and use it to promote thinking and individuality and education.

It is ok to be angry. But it is how you use that energy that makes the difference. Dont push a boulder up a cliff, you will burn out trying to change things you cant. It is better for you to focus on what you can do yourself, rather than expect others to change. Change must be voluntary and cannot be forced.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The doctrine of hell removes

The doctrine of hell removes any doubt that the god of the bible isn't a god of love. Regardless of all the mental gymnastics Christians use to try to explain it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Koibito San Jie
Koibito San Jie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cursed with loneliness

I've found lots of people to spend time with and I really enjoyed myself at my meet-up groups, but then when I get close to the people, something always screws it up. It isn't my fault. It isn't their fault. I try my best to find love, to find peace, I try to change my life to make it better. It does no good in the end. The universe. I think it is broken. It needs to be fixed. There is no hope, only despair. There is no comfort, only uncertainty. Life is no more with livinig than shit is worth eating.

Love,

Koibito San Jie 

I need real friends. Imaginary friends are for kids-- Ely Toka, Goddess of Butterflies

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Koibito San Jie

Koibito San Jie wrote:

I've found lots of people to spend time with and I really enjoyed myself at my meet-up groups, but then when I get close to the people, something always screws it up. It isn't my fault. It isn't their fault. I try my best to find love, to find peace, I try to change my life to make it better. It does no good in the end. The universe. I think it is broken. It needs to be fixed. There is no hope, only despair. There is no comfort, only uncertainty. Life is no more with livinig than shit is worth eating.

Love,

Koibito San Jie 

Dude, you just need to get laid.

Don't take everything so seriously, this is just life.  We're not really going anywhere with the point of this existence.

Try not to go emo on it.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, you need to relax. I

Dude, you need to relax.

I agree that the world is a harsh and cruel place at times, trust me, I`m as cynical as they come. But even I have found hope and love in this world. There is no reason why you can`t either. If you need help, just send me a pm. 

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
  My thoughts: Mankind in

My thoughts: Mankind in his insatiable search for divine
Knowledge has discarded all biblical teachings

Realizing that the strength of religion is the repression of
knowledge
All structures of religion have collapsed

Life prays for death
in the wake of the horror of these revelations

It was never imagined how graphic the reality that would
be known as the end
of creation
Would manifest itself

We believe all this chaos and atrocity can be traced
Back to one single event

We hold these truths to be painfully self-evident
All men are not created equal
Only the strong will prosper
Only the strong will conquer
Only in the darkness of Christ have I realized
God Hates Us All

Slayer - Darkness of Christ

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  "Life is my prison,

"Life is my prison, death is my parole." 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    "Dang me. dang

"Dang me. dang me they oughta take a rope and hang me" .... my Prozac ain't working

(( Slayer rocks, slaying the dragon of religion .....

Glad to hear you're pissed Koibito San Jie

I hope you will consider your anger as healthy indignation. No sane caring alert person can be happy with the reality of this world, with so much wasted potential and needless suffering. Love is truely all the answer to all our problems.

LOVE HATES EVIL IN UNMATCHED FURY !

I've spent a few productive days in google reading on Anger and Indignation.

Indignation; anger aroused by something unjust, unworthy, or mean

"Anger -- is it always wrong? No. Some anger is good. Good anger is motivated by unselfishness and is directed against the abuse of what is right -- justice, compassion, love. Anger which motivates a person to strive toward good, like getting laws changed to stop child abuse, is good anger. A wise person will be able to discern the difference."

"Having that sense of anger leads people to actually feel some power in what otherwise is a maddening situation"

"Focused anger finds ways to correct wrong for the good of ourselves and others. The organization MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) is an example of what can be done with good anger that is focused. When you find yourself becoming angry, try to think of ways your anger can be channeled for good."

I can't remember my favs but here's some I saved,

Anger Can Make You More Rational, Not Less, According To Recent Studies http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070531162359.htm

A Guide to Psychology and its Practice http://www.guidetopsychology.com/anger.htm

Thinking Straight While Seeing Red? http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=72784&nfid=crss

Do You Make Better Decisions When You're Angry? http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013896

Google, "Rodney Dangerfield Quotes" , a funny angry dude.

Isaiah 5:20, "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil...."

Jesus says , "Blessed are the poor in spirit" , ( because they care ....

Many former christians etc become atheists, then become progressive Buddha fans. Check it all out. There is alot there to comfort and inspire. Alan Watts in Youtube etc is also cool.

Here's a Favorite Video, This gal always cheers me up, "Wisdom of the Buddha" , 8 min, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

Read RRS author Hambydammit essays

Here's a good angry dude that'll make you smile, pat condell Videos http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=patcondell&p=r

Hey Koibito San Jie cheer up, you are almost dead ! On the other hand maybe you should be more pissed. Atheist Buddha said something about the "Middle" and the extremes, ying / yang ?

Treat youself to an ice cream cone .... 

Better yet, raise a cool puppy, and you'll never run out of true love !

suttsteve
User is offlineOffline
If you want a god to love

If you want a god to love you, think of your parents as your gods, as they are the ones who created you.

Like any emotion, though, love doesn't come from an outside source. It's entirely generated within the body and can be initiated either by external stimuli, such as a look or physical contact from another person, or a person can generate and feel love on their own. All they have to do is imagine what it feels like to be loved and they'll feel it. It's so simple, theists do it without even realizing it and trick themselves into believing the feeling is coming from a god, when it's only coming from themselves.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   I like

I like that  suttsteve ....

"No love, no point"

This is really an important subject, basically "How to be Happy?"

I can't stress enough the effect of sending good "Karma" to ALL you meet.

It has made a huge difference for angry me. Simply putting on an honest smile, treating everyone as really special, giving compliments, and expressing a universal interest.

Since I started kindly embracing the unattractive, the stupid, the old, the walking dead, the egotistical, the depressed, etc I've been able to see the apathetic public in a much more favorable, positive, optimistic way. Sending positive vibes is so self healing. "To be happy, make people happy." Then our perception of the world is changed from basically negative to basically positive.

"Love Love Love" , sang the Beatles. "What the world needs now is ..... "

Be the God you want God to be ... "atheistic" Jesus is a pretty good story charactor, who attended lovingly to everyone, especially the "low lifes" .... Don't confuse his indignation as punishing. Sometimes calling people hypocrites and fools etc is to love them.

Here's some cool videos, Dan Gilbert: Why are we happy? Why aren't we happy? 21 min , Harvard psychologist Dan Gilbert says our beliefs about what will make us happy are often wrong http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/97

It's terrible that the west doesn't know jack about the atheist buddha wisdom .... which embraces all science and knowledge.

Buddha Rising 3 min National Geographic http://www.dharmaflix.com/wiki/Buddha_Rising"In major cities all over the United States, Americans are setting aside type A lifestyles and embracing the calming compassionate practices of Buddhism. Photographer Steve McCurry discusses his journey into a spiritual marriage of East and West." ~~~

Bob Thurman: Becoming Buddha -- on the Web from Ted.com A Cool Western Guy Video 14 min http://www.dharmaflix.com/wiki/Bob_Thurman:_Becoming_Buddha

Inspired talks by the world's greatest thinkers and doers, many videos http://www.ted.com/index.php

Happiness ? After training in biochemistry at the Institute Pasteur, Matthieu Ricard left science behind to move to the Himalayas and become a Buddhist monk -- and to pursue happiness, both at a basic human level and as a subject of inquiry. 21 min http://www.ted.com/index.php/speakers/view/id/171