Crazy christians

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crazy christians

So i was hanging out in a christian chat the other day,most of them there seem ok,just a few total nutters.We talked about christianity,atheism,the inerrent bible(btw i pointed out several contradictions in it after being  told how perfect it is,and if part were proven to be wrong the entire book must be wrong,and basically got the usual nuh-uh you mis interpreted it bs).Anyway after this one guy started in on me,how he "fears me".Im like ok why? He goes on and on about how formidable a warrior i am going to be,how after tribulation Iwill be a man to fear,mercilessly killing the believers.No matter how many times I told him i dont kill,nor wish to he kept it up,until a mod basically told him stfu.I thought he was amusing at first,but after a few minutes just plain annoying.
Anyone else come across these people,and what do you think of my experience?

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would say your experience

I would say your experience is probably pretty typical.  I visited a xian chat room a few months ago and brought up evolution. The first question I got was "If humans came from monkeys why are there still monkeys?"

I also pointed out in the bible where it says that bats are birds and they didn't see where the problem was. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
You really think so? ive

You really think so? ive seen plenty of bullshit,but the deal with me going crazy and becoming a killing machine seemed a bit off.I know us atheists are immoral bastards,but that seemed over the top.BTW incase anyones sarcasm meter is broken,the immoral bastard part was indeed sarcasm,probably dont really need to point that out,but some people cant see sarcasm for shit.

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bigg wrote: You really

Bigg wrote:
You really think so? ive seen plenty of bullshit,but the deal with me going crazy and becoming a killing machine seemed a bit off.I know us atheists are immoral bastards,but that seemed over the top.BTW incase anyones sarcasm meter is broken,the immoral bastard part was indeed sarcasm,probably dont really need to point that out,but some people cant see sarcasm for shit.
  I would say it is pretty typical.  Usually goes that they think you can't have morals without god, and therefore you would kill/mame/whatever to get what you want.  I guess they don't understand human condition.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was hoping otherwise.I was

I was hoping otherwise.I was supposedly brought up christian,catholic even,and even the preist in the local church didnt spot such bullshit,just left it baically at "if you dont believe,you might go to hell,i hope you have a change of heart,and see they way of god".No talk about me turning into a killing machine,nor claiming im immoral by default.

Fossa_girl04
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Dude, that reeks. I hate

[MOD EDIT - theist post removed according to Freethinking Anonymous forum rules]

Fossa_girl04
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Dude, that reeks. I hate

[MOD EDIT - theist post removed according to Freethinking Anonymous forum rules]

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have met many a crazy

I have met many a crazy theists....going on about hell, heaven and the wicked and you just know the type...just not all there, way to into demons and god(s) and various religous topics. However i have only met so far....1 crazy ass atheist....far way into conspiracies theorys, large ass scale conspiracies that completely forgo any thought in the end. Aww well, christians i have found far exceed in the area of mentally disturbed people, at least in my experience.

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I've talked with

Well, I've talked with plenty of nutjobs, but I must say, I've never been told I would go on a murderous rampage after 'tribulation' by anyone, although I've been told plenty of times that I can't have morals and that I might as well pull a Stalin and have twenty million people tortured and killed. I guess that's similar?

GodsLimits
User is offlineOffline
Videos of crazy christians

I haven't really had the opportunity to introduce myself yet, but I'll get around to it soon.  I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and have found it profoundly interesting.

I wanted to show you a few videos I found of some crazy christians recently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2swEcsZTxPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5WkIwo-DRU&mode=related&search=

If you look at the "related" videos, you'll see this seems to be quite common.

Have any of you who are still in school come across this on campus?  For those of you who haven't, how would you react?  I respect their right to free speech and yet find it terribly disturbing.  I do find comfort in the fact that it probably does more to turn people away from christianity than it does towards it.

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thats not really too bad,i

Thats not really too bad,i think most of them believe them to be the same entity or cant tell the difference between them.The ones who claim both are god,and jesus is gods son at the same time always made me laugh.Id always respond to them "Yes,and i am my own father." Then id get a weird look and id be called stupid for saying its possible to be my own father,but saying such a thing made ME the one not making sense,go figure.

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
A crazy christian actually

A crazy christian actually said this to me:

Remember, Jesus gave his only begotten son for you.

mag
User is offlineOffline
Bigg wrote: So i was

Bigg wrote:
So i was hanging out in a christian chat the other day,most of them there seem ok,just a few total nutters.We talked about christianity,atheism,the inerrent bible(btw i pointed out several contradictions in it after being  told how perfect it is,and if part were proven to be wrong the entire book must be wrong,and basically got the usual nuh-uh you mis interpreted it bs).Anyway after this one guy started in on me,how he "fears me".Im like ok why? He goes on and on about how formidable a warrior i am going to be,how after tribulation Iwill be a man to fear,mercilessly killing the believers.No matter how many times I told him i dont kill,nor wish to he kept it up,until a mod basically told him stfu.I thought he was amusing at first,but after a few minutes just plain annoying.
Anyone else come across these people,and what do you think of my experience?
I go on the "geek for christ"forum and have a blast with them ,they are so clueless

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:

latincanuck wrote:
I have met many a crazy theists....going on about hell, heaven and the wicked and you just know the type...just not all there, way to into demons and god(s) and various religous topics. However i have only met so far....1 crazy ass atheist....far way into conspiracies theorys, large ass scale conspiracies that completely forgo any thought in the end. Aww well, christians i have found far exceed in the area of mentally disturbed people, at least in my experience.

I think I heard of studies that showed religious obsessions were more than common in mental hospital patients. Specifically I think one looked at the art produced by patients and found it contained an abundance of reigious symbols,especially crosses.

I haven't been able to find the actual study and I would guess that if it does exist it would not have got much publicity due to the implication that there is a link between religion and mental illness.

Does anyone know of a study like this? It may be the case that It doesn't exist and I just believed the person who told me about it because it seems so likely.

Another thing though, if you look at the symptoms of schizophenia (http://mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=582) they are eerily similar to the symptoms shown by many christians

-Delusions (God made the world in 6 days, 6000 years ago)

-Halucinations (God speaks to me)

-Disorganised thinking (Everything needs a cause, therefore the universe needs a cause, therefore god exists)

-Agitation [see any christian who started typing in ALL CAPS and threatening hellfire when backed into a logical corner]

-Lack of drive or initiative/Apathy (Whatever happens is god's will)

-Social withdrawal [See the bible-belt fear of non-believers and the christains who homeschool their kids to shelter them from any possibility of thinking for themselves

-Emotional Unresponsiveness {oops they've got us there, they are some of the most over emotional people. I guess you can't win them all. Fortunately the diagnosis only requires that they display two of the symptoms (check) for over a month (check)}

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!