Reason to religion?

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reason to religion?

I heard someone the other night say "Religion has done a lot of good things, I mean look at the art work." My mother says "religion is good because it gives people reason. It dispels chaos." I was reading another thread that said that his mother stated that religion gives people hope. Someone on campus said that religion is like free therapy. 

Now I see all of these as psychological disorders, but is there any truth to these claims in anyone's view? I know that this has all been discussed before; I guess I view religion as one of the main things that keeps psychologists so busy. Pure psychological drivel which attracts feeble minds.... maybe I am too harsh.

Thoughts?

--Sarah--

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
A lot of wonderful art work

A lot of wonderful art work was created because of religions, or mainly the fact that the churches had the money to pay the artists.  Of course one could argue that perhaps more great art could have been made if all the best artists didn't find themselves painting religious only themes. 

I suppose religion could also offer people hope, but its ultimately a false hope.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: A lot of

pariahjane wrote:

A lot of wonderful art work was created because of religions, or mainly the fact that the churches had the money to pay the artists. Of course one could argue that perhaps more great art could have been made if all the best artists didn't find themselves painting religious only themes.

I suppose religion could also offer people hope, but its ultimately a false hope.

False hope is all that some people have. Sad, but true

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's not forget that all

Let's not forget that all that wonderful art done in the name of the church was also done under the threat of excommunication. Artists throughout most of the middle ages were not free to portray any subject they fancied. If they were found guilty of heresy, by making graven images not glorifying god, they were often treated poorly.

Reason? I hope to have a nice walk this evening. If I were dead, I wouldn't get to walk. Therefore, I have reason to live. Simple.

Hope? I also have hope. I hope one day religion will lose its grasp on humanity. I hope that we end our dependence on fossil fuels and stop global warming. I hope we'll reduce our population to a point where we can live in balance with the environment for centuries or millenia. I hope we evolve. I hope I get laid tonight. I hope there's not another Republican president after this one...

Seriously, what kind of drivel is all that?! It's pure arrogance to say that people who don't believe in sky-daddy are less human than other people.

PFFFT, I say.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think some people do need

I think some people do need religion to get by. But I also think that had they not been indoctrinated in the first place, they wouldn't be dependent on it. And such a dependency that has been forced on them almost guarantees that they will indoctrinate their children, who may or may not break away later on, and may turn out the same way.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: A lot of

pariahjane wrote:

A lot of wonderful art work was created because of religions, or mainly the fact that the churches had the money to pay the artists. Of course one could argue that perhaps more great art could have been made if all the best artists didn't find themselves painting religious only themes.

Well, couldn't it also be argued that without religion there still would have been beautiful art work? Is false hope a good thing?

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Calling religion a mental

Calling religion a mental disorder is an insult to people with real mental disorders that they don't choose to have and can't get rid of. Anway...

My favorite artists are the ones with honesty and subtlety. Midieval religious paintings convery a very embellished, grandiose setting. Not my cup of tea.  

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zymotic wrote: Calling

Zymotic wrote:

Calling religion a mental disorder is an insult to people with real mental disorders that they don't choose to have and can't get rid of.

I have to agree. There are aspects of religious belief that resemble particular mental disorders, but there are aspects of most things we do that resemble particular mental disorders. Cheering for sports teams, for one.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:  Well, couldn't it

Quote:
 Well, couldn't it also be argued that without religion there still would have been beautiful art work? Is false hope a good thing?
Yeah.  That's what I was talking about.  The art was squelched by the church.  Yes, some of it is beautiful, but it's all the result of an essentially fascist squelching of creativity.  It's likely that there would have been more beautiful, more creative art if there had been freedom of expression.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is false hope a good thing?I

Is false hope a good thing?I dunno.  That's a very general question.  For me, no, generally.  I get what you're asking but I think maybe a better question is, "Is it generally better to look at things realistically, rather than create a false hope for oneself?"  Even with that question, it's not that clear cut.  I suppose P.O.W.s who very likely will die can gain some advantage from believing they might make it out.  It might improve their odds if they live longer, even if the probability is that they will die in any case.The real issue is that this question is relatively inconsequential with regard to religion.  Religion is dangerous, divisive, stifling to science and creativity, aggressive, and intolerant... by nature.  It doesn't matter if a few people feel better because they have it.  It's still objectively bad for the world.

Books about atheism

Koibito San Jie
Koibito San Jie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oppression

Religion was invented to oppress entire civilizations with propaganda and threats.  It prevents free-thinking and free-living.  As long as you belong to a religion, your mind and soul  are bound to a set of beliefs and ideals that prevent you from enjoying life.  Religion is the original dictatorship.
Before figures like Hitler and Saddam walked the Earth, there was organized religion.
Love,
Koibito San Jie

I need real friends. Imaginary friends are for kids-- Ely Toka, Goddess of Butterflies

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although religion may give

Although religion may give us nice artwork, look around you. We are in a world of shit because of religion.  Fanatical Muslims and Christians are waging a war that has been going on for well over a thousand years. People are dying everyday over who has the best invisible friend. Religion is actively working to stop scientific progress which would help improve the lives of billions. Although religion gives some hope and a sense of purpose in their lives, it is not worth the immense pain and suffering inflicted upon the rest of the human race.

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Krehlic wrote: I think

Krehlic wrote:

I think some people do need religion to get by. But I also think that had they not been indoctrinated in the first place, they wouldn't be dependent on it. And such a dependency that has been forced on them almost guarantees that they will indoctrinate their children, who may or may not break away later on, and may turn out the same way.

I don't believe that religion is absolutely necessary for anyone, but I do think it is often the first thing people grab onto when faced with difficulties, because they've been told their entire life that "God is always there when you need him" or any number of other invisible friend-type ideas.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
ispeakmetal wrote: Krehlic

ispeakmetal wrote:
Krehlic wrote:

I don't believe that religion is absolutely necessary for anyone, but I do think it is often the first thing people grab onto when faced with difficulties, because they've been told their entire life that "God is always there when you need him" or any number of other invisible friend-type ideas.

That's about what I meant. 

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?