Yay Europe! Human Embryonic Stem Cells!

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yay Europe! Human Embryonic Stem Cells!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070605/ts_nm/stemcells_blindness_dc

Scientists plan stem cell cure for blindness

By Ben Hirschler 1 hour, 58 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - British scientists plan to use stem cells to cure a common form of blindness, with the first patients receiving test treatment in five years.

The pioneering project, launched on Tuesday, aims to repair damaged retinas with cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Its backers say it involves simple surgery that could one day become as routine as cataract operations.

They believe the technique is capable of restoring vision in the vast majority of patients with age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a leading cause of blindness among the elderly that afflicts around 14 million people in Europe.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you think a person who

Do you think a person who opposes stem cell research will recuse him or herself from treatment?  I don't.  Bunch of hypocrites.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: Do

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Do you think a person who opposes stem cell research will recuse him or herself from treatment? I don't. Bunch of hypocrites.

Oh...  I didn't think of it in that way yet...  I can picture it now:

Mr. Evangelical: They are going to cure my blindness!

Me: But aren't you putting body parts of dead babies in your eyes?

Mr. Evangelical:  What?  hahah...  I'll SEE you later!  Yay!  I'm going to be cured!  PRAISE JESUS! 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Andyy wrote: Iruka

Andyy wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Do you think a person who opposes stem cell research will recuse him or herself from treatment? I don't. Bunch of hypocrites.

Oh... I didn't think of it in that way yet... I can picture it now:

Mr. Evangelical: They are going to cure my blindness!

Me: But aren't you putting body parts of dead babies in your eyes?

Mr. Evangelical: What? hahah... I'll SEE you later! Yay! I'm going to be cured! PRAISE JESUS!

LOL 

hutch
User is offlineOffline
I read this article on the

I read this article on the BBC News website, and I was overjoyed that this research is at least continuing somewhere. I just hope that congress is able to overturn Bush's certain veto on the new legislation. There is so much potential for stem cell treatments that banning federal funding for research is completely immoral, but I guess I should expect immorality from christians. Cry

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always said that

I've always said that anyone who is against stem cell research should ethically refuse any type of treatment that is derived from that research.

For instance, I believe in the humane treatment of animals.  Hence, if a doctor ever prescribed Premarin or any of the other hormone treatments derived from pregnant mares*, I would refuse it. 

But I have no doubt that if stem cell research comes up with a treatment or cure for MS or Alzheimer's or anything else, the anti-stem-cell-research-people would be first in line. 

*The pregnant mares are treated very inhumanely and most of the unwanted foals are sent to slaughter as they are simply a "by-product" of the pregnancy.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.