Dr Kevorkian

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dr Kevorkian

Anyone else watching the Larry Kind interview with Dr Kevorkian on CNN?

An email question came in (paraphrased) "What is your religous belief?"  Dr Kevorkian responded (paraphrased) "My faith is in reason, just like Franklin and Jefferson, who were not Christians." 

Larry King asked again to verify that Dr Kevorkian didn't believe in a god, to which Dr Kevorkian confirmed.

I feel like I'm learning about him for the first time.  When I first learned about him, I was an evangelical, and in turm, thought he was a horrible man doing horrible things.

Despite his reputation, I'm finding him to be well spoken and a very rational thinker.  I was never aware that he turned down more people who wanted his assistance.  I also had never actally listened to him long enough to hear about all of the precautions he took, and about his procedures he used to ensure the assisted suicide was what the patient really wanted.

Is all the 'anti-Kevorkian' sentiment irrational in nature?

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The CNN text vote during

The CNN text vote during the show "Do you think doctor assisted suicide should be legalized?"  The results were 92% Yes, 8% No.

While this poll is not scientific, and perhaps Kevorkian supporters were watching in great nubers, I still found the results a bit surprising.  I wonder how much longer the religous lobby will be able to subvert this issue on their "life is sacred" feeling... 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
He was interviewed on 60

He was interviewed on 60 Minutes yesterday.

I've always been impressed with him because I was aware of the screening process he made people go through and gave them every chance to back out if they had any doubts at all.

More than anything, I was impressed when Mike Wallace asked if he would assist anyone else and Kevorkian said no.  When pressed as to why not, he said simply "I gave my word."

Stories and video here.  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Assisted suicide should be

Assisted suicide should be legal when it warrants.  If you're having a bad day and want to off yourself, then no.  If you have a terminal disease and are in immense pain, then yes.  I've watched 2 going on 3 family members suffer from various wasting diseases that will ended in very painful deaths.  2 weeks ago I had my ferret euthanized; she was suffering and in so much pain she couldn't walk, much less eat.  It was a fair, though utterly devastating decision. 

The same day she collasped, I went to the home to visit my grandfather, a strong man once, who could only moan in pain and lay curled in the fetal position.  Even my grandmother hopes his end is near.

If I ever become that ill, I hope that I will have the right to be euthanized.  

And now that I've gone on that emotional rant which has nothing to do with the original post, I'm going to bed.  Sorry. Kevorkian should never have gone to jail in the first place. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

HellyK
User is offlineOffline
I think Dr.Kevorkian is

I think Dr.Kevorkian is cool, but I'm just starting to learn more about him, I'll make sure to watch the tv interviews that you guys have mentioned.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think the people who are

I think the people who are against this are another example of the harm done by religion.

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree that assisted

I agree that assisted suicides are fortunate for some people with terminal illness. I would probably be on of those 92% of people who agreed that it should be legalized. I also agree with Pariahjane's post.  I guess what to sum it all up I agree.

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous
"If God doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." -Anonymous

hutch
User is offlineOffline
I’ve never understood why

I’ve never understood why it’s considered humane to euthanize a sick animal, and yet we let our human friends and loved ones suffer to the end. If it’s humane to euthanize a dieing loved pet then it’s also humane to euthanize a dieing loved human. I actually did a history fair project on this subject when I was in grade school. It must have been in 1994, shortly after my grandmother had died of cancer and Kevorkian was still in the news. I still remember the looks on the faces of the judges as I stood there and advocated for physician-assisted suicide in the middle of rural Missouri.