Why Do Christians Give The Places They Congregate Such Names As "Freedom Hall, Centre",etc

crowhawk
crowhawk's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Do Christians Give The Places They Congregate Such Names As "Freedom Hall, Centre",etc

Why do Christians (In particular) call the places they congregate to vent their sanctimonious spite, such names as "Freedom Hall"," Society of Freedom",etc. They tell us "God is love" as they bomb some unbelievers back into the Stone-Age! One other thing that's allways intrigued me is the claim that their god Gave his only begotten son to die for our sins" That was big of him. Send someone else to do the dying, nothings changed there! & What good did it accomplish have people stopped "Sinning"? So what exactlly are they claiming he died for? Just a couple of thoughts that occured to me!!.................Kev 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, crowhawk!

When you get a minute, we'd love for you to hop over to General Conversations, Introductions and Humor and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
crowhawk wrote: One other

crowhawk wrote:
One other thing that's allways intrigued me is the claim that their god Gave his only begotten son to die for our sins" That was big of him. Send someone else to do the dying, nothings changed there! & What good did it accomplish have people stopped "Sinning"? So what exactlly are they claiming he died for? Just a couple of thoughts that occured to me!!.................Kev

Here's a link to the standard protestant version of "God's simple plan of salvation."  In short, it says that

(1) everybody sins, so everybody deserves to die/go to hell

(2) the death of Jesus atones for the sins of humanity and makes it possible for some to be saved

(3) in order to take advantage of this special, one-time offer, you have to say the magic words "I accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior."  And, depending on the type of protestant you are, it is also desirable/necessary that you be baptised and continue going to church after that.

You'll notice that, although the plan is nearly always described as "simple," it's constructed from ambiguous quotes drawn from all over the New Testament.  One question Christians never seem to ask: if this is the most important information in the whole universe, why is it so hard to find and assemble from vague hints in the Bible?

The simple plan is so hard to find, in fact, that Protestants didn't "discover" the simple plan until the reformation 1500 years after the fact.  Before that, the only version of salvation available was the Catholic one with the confessions and masses and purgatory. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
crowhawk wrote:

crowhawk wrote:
Why do Christians (In particular) call the places they congregate to vent their sanctimonious spite, such names as "Freedom Hall"," Society of Freedom",etc.

Maybe they have an innate sense of irony built into their 'god box'. LOL

PonkeyDon
User is offlineOffline
I think the answer is

I think the answer is reasonably obvious once you look at the in group mentality of religions.

They mean freedom for their in group.

Question the religious on their articles of faith long enough and they will want to burn your house down. Faith teaches poor debating skills.

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
crowhawk wrote: Why do

crowhawk wrote:
Why do Christians (In particular) call the places they congregate to vent their sanctimonious spite, such names as "Freedom Hall"," Society of Freedom",etc.  
Oh, I wouldn't classify this as a solely christian tactic, I see this all the time.  It's like some deflection from the reality of what they are promoting, usually implying the exact opposite of what they stand for.  The Marriage Defence Act for example implies it's defending marriage, when actually it is restricting it.  Or the Patriot Act, while sounding as though it's patriotic, it is infact the opposite, stripping America of what patriotic means.  Hands Off the Internet makes this groups name sound like they're trying to keep the internet as it is and should stay, but really they're the phone/internet companies who want to be able to censor what you can see on the internet if you're their customer. Or Scientology.  I first thought it was a science and fact base belief system, and well, we all know that's not even close!

This is normal operation procedure when the people involved are trying to do something that just isn't right, like torment little children with tales of invisable men who are always spying on them and looking for some reason to tortue you in some future life.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's basically the classic

It's basically the classic 'PR' job.
"Freedom is a great sounding word that everyone seems to love. Let's associate with it!"

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
PonkeyDon wrote: I think

PonkeyDon wrote:

I think the answer is reasonably obvious once you look at the in group mentality of religions.

They mean freedom for their in group.

Welcome PonkeyDon!

We'd love it if you'd hop over to General Conversations, Introductions and Humor and introduce yourself!

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arletta hit the nail on the

Arletta hit the nail on the head. Many groups do this. Take Liberty University for example. "Liberty" is in the name, but the school is infact the exact opposite. The students who go there have an 11 o'clock curfew. (The state curfew for people under the age of 18 is midnight) You would think that an adult attending college would not have a curfew like that. Secondly, they are forbidden to see R rated movies, listen to non-christian rap (or any other music that might seem "offensive&quotEye-wink, told what to wear, and are prohibited from visiting the dorms of the opposite sex. And thats "liberty"? hahahahaha  (This is why a lot of them come on my campus to party....)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Almost sounds like the

Almost sounds like the "newspeak" from 1984.

Biodroid
Biodroid's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Almost

MattShizzle wrote:
Almost sounds like the "newspeak" from 1984.

In a way it is. They it's such a multi-layed scheme there. Basically it implies Christian = Freedom = Patriot thereby Athiest = Immoral = Treason.

By labeling themselves as Freedom This and Liberty That they put themselves on the frontlines heroicly defending the faith against the enemy.

And ofcourse the enemy being anyone with an alternative belief system or lifestyle: Athiests, Muslims, Catholics, homosexuals...

It gives them a a patriotic duty to wage a hate campaign against those who "threaten" them by not being one of them. Its like they're taking pages out of the Scientology handbook.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's called "spin" in most

It's called "spin" in most circles.

I'd call it "marketing".

Everyone here has a good handle on what is going on. 

By using words with positive connotations, the user is attempting to have that same positive connotation for their product.

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trouble is, people with

Trouble is, people with brains to see through the spin aren't very good at it.

Like, I can't call myself a "Bright" - I'd feel dirty!

So, they get to use all the tricks we would rather not, get to do all the advertising and marketing that we would not, and because of that, we suck, recruitmentwise.

There's another thread around here that complains that neither scientists nor teachers are doing enough to educate people about this stuff. But... who, nowadays, actually educates themselves about issues? Nobody! It's who has the best soundbyte, the most expensive advertising!

That's why the blasphemy challenge is a good thing. Sure, it seems like a cheap trick, but the advertising value... damn, it's awesome!

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }