(video) 20/20 Special "Seeing and Believing"

meshblorg
meshblorg's picture
User is offlineOffline
(video) 20/20 Special "Seeing and Believing"

The Price of Atheism

20/20 special "Seeing and Believing" the clip is the segment on atheism with a brief appearance by Richard Dawkins. These Christians are intolerant of atheists unless the atheist is willing to go along.

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2007/05/the_price_of_at.html

I really feel bad for that atheist girl and I'm so fortunate to live in Los Angeles where diversity creates relative tolerance.

Also,

This is an article written by Richard Dawkins:

"How dare you call me a fundamentalist
The right to criticise ‘faith-heads’"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article1779771.ece

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
That's screwed up. I get

That's screwed up. I get treated like that sometimes, I'm only 16 and I'm in a school of "christians". I voice my opinions when I'm asked, I don't care if they like me or not! I'll voice my faithless with my head held high. :] Hopefully, that girl will learn to be same, without caring so much. Obviously she is already if she's gonna voice her atheism in a christian school.

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
wow, that town is

wow, that town is horrible. i applaud that girl for standing up for her beliefs. i think its funny that one of the christian women interviewed was like "i don't know what atheists believe, i know they dont worship my god by i dont know" as if atheism is a religion.

i also found it funny how the man doing the interview's argument for religion was "well you cant prove god doesn't exist!"

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Tyl3r04 wrote: That's

Tyl3r04 wrote:
That's screwed up. I get treated like that sometimes, I'm only 16 and I'm in a school of "christians". I voice my opinions when I'm asked, I don't care if they like me or not! I'll voice my faithless with my head held high. :] Hopefully, that girl will learn to be same, without caring so much. Obviously she is already if she's gonna voice her atheism in a christian school.

"Christian school"???????

Is it a private school or public school? If it is a public school it is not a Christian school. It may be full of a majority Christian, but the school itself if it is a public school does not hold a official religion being that it would be state run.

A private Christian school, on the other hand, would have the right to suspend her. Being a private institution they would or should not recieve public funding, so they would be free to practice their relgion. If it is a private religious school it would be reasonable for the people running it to expect those admited to adhear to the rules they set.

But, public schools cannot kick people out merely based upon religious differances because they are bound to neutrality because they are state run. That is not to say that many public schools in America blatantly ignore the first Amendment and think "Freedom of religion" is license for Jesus fans to use public schools to promote him. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
My apologies, I could have

My apologies, I could have worded that better. I meant, my school is a majority of the christian faith. I live in the south and they can be rather zealotous at times.

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
im in a public school in the

im in a public school in the north and its not much different either. for example, my US teacher always finds a way to tie in god to something. whether it be how america is founded on christianity or about prayers in the civil war.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
that's really sad. i became

that's really sad. i became an atheist (in concept, i was too young to know it had a name) when i was 12 years old. that was in 1982 (yikes i'm dating myself) and at that time, living in a medium sized Kansas town, i didn't know a single other person that felt like i did. i thought i was the only kid in the world that didn't believe in god. without access to atheist literature and with internet interaction being years away, i had no way of knowing that i wasn't alone, and it was scary. when i did confide in others, i was immediately criticized and shunned. i grew a pretty thick skin from those years.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wasn't this girl and her

Wasn't this girl and her father on an RRS show a while back?

DeeLock
DeeLock's picture
User is offlineOffline
The dad was awesome! "I can

The dad was awesome!

"I can believe Santa Clause is coming to town."

I completely feel for this girl though...

Dawkins is a god. (metaphorically)   

Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.

-Woody Allen

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well it's about time. 

Well it's about time.  Atheists need to stand up whenever their rights are being infringed. We are being disenfranchised in this country.  We need to stop that.  I applaud the Smalkowki family. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

nds1987
Theist
nds1987's picture
User is offlineOffline
confused....

How come you can not use the arguement "that you can't prove God doesn't exist"? That seems pretty sound to me, especially since that arguement is used against God. That seems wrong to use it but not let it be used. That is, we are told to prove there is a god, but we can't retaleate by stating that there is not proof against there being a god. Anybody who sees this, please send me a message explaining that to me.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Becuase the laws of logic

Becuase the laws of logic require that always, always, always the burden of proof is on the one who claims something exists. If I said that I invented a machine that could turn water into gasoline, and you asked for evidence and I said "prove that I didn't" that would be pretty silly, wouldn't it? Same thing.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
nds1987 wrote:How come

nds1987 wrote:

How come you can not use the arguement "that you can't prove God doesn't exist"? That seems pretty sound to me, especially since that arguement is used against God. That seems wrong to use it but not let it be used. That is, we are told to prove there is a god, but we can't retaleate by stating that there is not proof against there being a god. Anybody who sees this, please send me a message explaining that to me.

You also can't disprove that I am not god and only living in human form.  Does that mean you should believe me?  And there are an infinite amount of things you "can't" disprove. The celestial teapot, Flying Spaghetti Monster(s), the evil god, and ect... Once you throw out logic and falsifiability anything and everything has equal grounds for possibility.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.