Natural Religion.

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
Natural Religion.

Well. Some of you may or may not know about "Natural Religion". It is a rather interesting concept, and I think it is a very interesting possibility. A possibility that, if correct makes all religion that we know today obsolete. Now, I say "Natural Religion" but in a sense, it is not the typical religion that you would think. Traditionally, Deists.. not so much follow Natural religion, because you can't typically follow Natural religion, it is as it imply's... it is Natural.

Now, what exactly is Natural religion? It is virtually the basis that religion is instilled in humans. That, to know God, to be attracted to the idea of God, to simply be religious is to be human. That to be attracted to the ultimate reality, to be attracted to the ultimate truth, that to know God, is instilled as a virtue in humans. It also claims that... with reason and logic, we can come to an understanding of the universe, of the ultimate truth, of reality on our own. Deists believed reason and logic to be god-given abilities. Natural religion also claims that we do not need divine assistance, divine intervention, or anything of the divine to so much as to know God, or to attain salvation. That through reason and logic, we are capable of both on our own.

Now the other form of religion, "Revealed religion" Or more commonly "Revelation" religion is the most common religion we see in the world today and is quite different from Natural religion. Revelation religion is what we know today as, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism, so on and so forth. Now, what exactly is "Revelation" Religion? It is religion where things are revealed to you. The followers of Revelation religion believe that humans are incapable of attaining salvation on their own. That to know god, to come to an understanding of the ultimate truth we are in need of divine intervention, divine assistence. I.e The Bible, Koran, Torah, ect.

Most argue that Revealed religion is superior to Natural religion because they think that Natural religion gets you going in the right direction, however Revealed religion gets you salvation. However, they are wrong. Natural religion is by far the most superior concept opposed to any revealed religion. In the simple fact that if it were true, then to revealed religion, you must first have natural religion. That without that natural, born, instilled virtue to be attracted to God, they would never even think of comming up with revealed religions. It is also superior in the fact that, Natural religion is the beginning, Revealed religion comes from Natural religion and in that aspect, Natural religion has the essence of Revealed religion. It has all of the good and none of the bad of revealed religion. It is in a sense, the pure form of revealed religion. Simply because Revealed religion can be tainted, fabricated, distorted, corrupted and misperceived. Natural religion can not.

I'm just telling all of you this because it is a very interesting possibility and I found my self instantly intriqued with it because of that fact that it makes all religions today obsolete! It completely removes the need for religion today. It also makes it possible for religion and science to go hand in hand in the aspect that.. It supports reason and logic, as well as the basic belief in God. Which, Natural religion was supposedly first thought up as a way to end conflict between all the different religions. It was supposedly suppose to be a common ground for them. I like it in the simple fact that it makes religion obsolete and promotes reason and logic.

Many of the great intellectual thinkers in the past 500 years were Deists surprisingly. Benjimen Franklin, Albert Einstien, Sir Isaac Newton, Bacon, Muler, Paine and so many more. Obviously some were more Deist than others, but in one way or another, many of the intellectuals were all Deists.

I found Natural religion to be truly interesting and I would appreciate it if you guys shared your thoughts on it as well. However, rest assured I am an atheist. I merely enjoy looking at all possibilities.:]

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I disagree that humans were

I disagree that humans were "made" to have a belief in a god. My personal take on it is that humans created gods when things weren't easily explainable by science. How that we have advanced science, why do we need religion anymore? Humans don't need religion to feel happy, or moral (I'm living proof).  

Though it is an interesting conept (and one I used to follow somewhat when I was into Paganism and new age stuff), I know that humans can live perfectly fine without gods. 

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
I'm not saying specifically

I'm not saying specifically that they were "made" to believe in God. I think that the concept of natural religion is that humans naturally have religion instilled into being a human. Because, think about it... how do we have religion today? Because it's innate. We are naturally drawn to it. I wasn't necessarily saying that God instilled it into us. But.. it would make sense if religion was somewhat innate in... maybe not so much being human but in humans.

And of course humans don't need religion. That's the entire basis of natural religion. Is that humans are more than capable through reason and logic of doing anything on their own without God.

Quote:
Humans don't need religion to feel happy, or moral (I'm living proof).

As are we all. I have astounding morals myself and live a very happy life... What little life I've lived so far heh.

Now I'm not saying that Natural religion is true! Don't get me wrong, I'm really just trying to understand it better myself because I like the idea of it. Even though I am an atheist, I am open to all possibilities. :]

Although, I could be misunderstanding it. It is a rather complex subject and It took me a while to even understand. But, it is interesting for sure. Laughing out loud

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.