Why I don't believe in God.

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
Why I don't believe in God.

Well, I am new to this site. I only just now found it and I find it rather intriquing. Because, I am 16 and I have been an atheist for a while now, and I quite personally don't care if my beliefs are controversial or not. So, I publicly voice my beliefs. Those beliefs obviously being that I don't believe in God. Now... considering that I am in a society where... there are virtually no atheists, you can imagine how secluded I feel and how un-secluded I feel now that I have found this site. I feel the need to post this paper that I wrote not too long ago and see if I can get some opinions on it other than religious opinions. :] Now don't get me wrong. I am not the typical teenage atheist does not believe in God because I hate him and blah blah blah. I support reason, logic, free-will, and the using of ones mind just as much as anyone else here does I imagine. :] Enjoy reading my beliefs..... or lackthereof.

There is a question I ask myself often; a problem that I have spent much time contemplating and thinking about. A query, that, many ask themselves; a question that many ask frequently. A query, that, I finally have an answer to. Well, an answer for myself anyway. It may not apply to others or satisfy them. However it works quite well for me. Now, what is this inquisition that I am talking about? Why don’t I believe God exists: of course.

Ah yes… I have spent much time contemplating this question. And I believe I finally have the answer to it. I have often wondered exactly why it is that I am faithless. Why I do not believe in God, and exactly what are the reasons and purpose for that lack of faith. I believe that I have come to the conclusion that my faithlessness is for a variety of reasons. I do not believe in God because there is nothing to truly suggest that God exists nor is there any proof. I do not believe in God because I do not look at something, say I cannot explain this, and say it was an act of God. I do not believe in God because for me, a reality with a God is not a reality at all. I do not believe in God because I simply do not need to.

Permit me to elaborate on my thoughts and reasons now. Lets start off with my first reason shall we? “I do not believe in God because there is nothing to truly suggest that God exists nor is there any proof.” There is nothing that really suggests that God exists. There is nothing that just jumps out and shouts “Hey! You! Yeah you! God exists!” Nor is there anything that implies that. Ah yes, I know what you’re thinking, and what you’re going to ask; “Well, then how do you think that we were created?” I don’t know, I wasn’t there when we came into existence; were you? We as in: life and the solar system, planets, etcetera. When I voice my opinion I am often asked that question. Let me address that now. I don’t know! I wasn’t there when it happened. I have my ideas, theories, and opinions about it, as does everyone else. But no one can truly know, not even you; that is unless of course… you have a time machine? No? Ok then.

There are an untold amount of possibilities as to how we came about. Some possibilities more logical than others, but possibilities nonetheless and we must consider them all. But we must decide from those possibilities which ones are the most logical. I don’t know about you, but to me evolution makes more sense than “Let there be light.” Evolution is obviously not the only possibility, but it is the one that to me makes sense, is logical and has facts and evidence to support it. I’m sure you are capable of deciding which possibility is most logical to you.

Now, however I say there is no proof that God exists. I must also admit that there is no proof disproving God’s existence either. But that does not mean that God exists. Evidence for God’s existence sadly does not include: “Miracles”, “Unexplainable occurrences”, “So-called patterns in everyday life”, “How do you think we came about”, “God talks to me”, “The bible” and anything else that you claim is ‘evidence’. All of your ‘evidence’ will always leave room for doubt, unanswered questions, and can never be considered ground-shaking truth. And in facts and truth, there is no room for doubt. True fact and true evidence removes that doubt. Yes I know that is where “faith” comes into play. However, to have faith is not the same as to know the truth.

“Faith: belief that is not based on proof. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence”

“Just because I cannot explain something, does not mean that it does not have an explanation.” On to the next reason! Everything in the world has an explanation: “supernatural” and natural. But, people seem to have gotten it in their minds that since explanations are not easily acquired then by default the events must be acts of God. Back to the earlier question: just because I cannot tell you legitimately how we came into existence or perhaps something even as simple as some professional not being able to explain to you why some phenomenon is, does not make them by default acts of God. The point is: in life just because we cannot explain some phenomenon or a “supernatural occurrence” does not make it an act of God. Much like the basis of Creationism. “Well umm… uh. Well boys, we can’t seem to figure this out. I cannot find an explanation for this. So… It must be God! Agreed? Ok… Lunch anyone?”

In reality, we are limited to certain aspects. We genuinely know that some things are just not possible. And, if a God existed… then technically nothing would be impossible. We would not be limited to the terms of reality. We would be in a ‘fantasy’ world so-to-speak. Which brings me to my next reason. We live in a reality, not a fantasy. If there was a God then all that God would have to do is but will what it wants done and it would be done. Anything accomplished with nothing more than a whim. I know that in the world today, in reality certain aspects and characteristics limit us and that is what makes our reality a reality. If a God were to exist, then those limitations are no more and our reality becomes a fantasy. I don’t know about you, but to me fantasy is not reality.

My last reason for my lack of faith is the most personal and not so logic-based reason. But like all my other reasons, it supports and is built upon the others. Thusly bringing me to my final reason. My lack of faith… is probably largely because I simply do not need faith. Others need guidance in their life, strength to go on, retribution and something to believe in. Others need their faith to calm their fears of death. Unlike the majority of the people of this earth that need their faith, I do not. Most likely because, in the end I do not believe that God will be able to give me what I need. Only I will be able to give me what I need. Only I can give myself guidance, strength, and retribution among other things. In the end, I am the one who will judge myself… not “God”

As well as not needing all of that, I as well do not need faith to deal with death. I do not need the veil of religion and of faith to cover any fears that I have of death. I have come to accept the grim reality of death, however I must admit that it does not dissuade my fear of it any less. I have merely decided to accept the truth, rather than a lie. I have… come to accept reality.

Well there you have it, the basis of my incoherent lack of faith. I imagine that I will always think this way. I will always think I am right on this, well at least until I am proven wrong. And I imagine that nothing short of talking to God ‘himself’ will convince me that I am wrong. That right there is about the only thing that can be credible proof in this world to me.

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard!

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. Your story is

Welcome. Your story is similar to many others here.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Tyl3r04. 

Welcome Tyl3r04.  Excellent post and introduction!

We're really glad you found us and hope you'll be a frequent poster. 

I especially liked your observation:

I will always think I am right on this, well at least until I am proven wrong. 

Yup, you fit right in! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, I plan to. :]

Thanks, I plan to. :]