An Atheists view on Christmas holidays

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

By "Christmas" holidays i mean Hannukah, New Years, Kwanzaa, etc. I don't necessarily mean "Christmas"

Anyway, what do you guys do for the holiday season? Since my immediate family is consisted of Atheists, we still present gifts and keep a tree up, but don't have any of the jesus stuff. Nor do we pray, midnight mass, etc.

What do you guys do?

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

Personally, I still celebrate it with my mom and brother and sisters, but it isn't a religious thing. It's just a family thing, where we do the presents thing and really just enjoy the time together. Some of my mother's family who are catholic live with her now so they will probably go to church, and my mom may go to humor them, so we'll see how much jesus comes back with them. But yea, we still like the holiday just for family time. And we still call it christmas.

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

I still celebrate it, in a purely secular way. No Jesus bullshit. Hey, giving and getting gifts is great.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline

I celebrate it and I even go to mass with the family, because it makes them happy. I actually enjoy it, quite honestly. Midnigt Mass in a Catholic Church on Xmas Eve with tons of candles and traditions is a sight to behold.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

floatingegg
User is offlineOffline

I don't celebrate Christmas holidays. I remind my family members not to give me any gifts prior to Christmas, but some of them choose to give me gifts anyway, probably out of spite. Last year, I politely accepted the gifts, but told them I wasn't opening them until April. This year, I plan to tell them I will be donating their gifts to charity.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
I celebrate it and I even go to mass with the family, because it makes them happy. I actually enjoy it, quite honestly. Midnigt Mass in a Catholic Church on Xmas Eve with tons of candles and traditions is a sight to behold.

ah yes, midnight mass....every year without fail is THE only time you'll see me in a church..

My mother and I had a HUGE fallout one christmas. I refused to go to church and it made for a very bad christmas. I promised myself, I would swallow my pride adn go. And I've been every year with her and only for her.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Equilibrium
Equilibrium's picture
User is offlineOffline

I'll celebrate any holiday provided it promotes love and kindness.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline

Equilibrium wrote:
I'll celebrate any holiday provided it promotes love and kindness.

Or gets me stuff.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

The_Fragile
The_Fragile's picture
User is offlineOffline

Like most of you, I celebrate the corporate holiday not the religious one. I celebrate pretty much all holidays, mostly because it gives me a reason to dote upon people and vise versa. Smiling

I hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
living inside of me
to murder everything.
I hope they cannot see
I am the great destroyer.

jester700
User is offlineOffline

I do the family thing - tree, gifts, too much food, etc. But I wish we could skip the gifts; it's SUCH a pain in the ass. My thing is, when I want something, I buy it if I can afford it. If I can't, nobody else who's gonna get me an xmas gift can either. So I generally end up saying "very nice. thanks" and wishing they hadn't bothered.

Also, I try to give whatever I can whenever I can. If I see something my mom, dad, wife would like, I BUY it and give it to them. (I've actually seen people hoard this kind of stuff and wait for xmas. What for? Time is precious.) And it's so stressful - not only do I have to come up with gifts, I have to do it at a time when everyone else is packing the stores (and I hate crowds) and yakking up "the reason for the season".

I'd as soon we skip the gifts and just eat too much, watch "a christmas story", and build a snowman. THAT would be a holiday.

floatingegg
User is offlineOffline

What's stopping you from doing that jester700? When I have the money I purchase gifts for people when I feel like it, not because of a holiday. The same thing goes for getting together with family. If I don't see them during the year, chances are I won't care about seeing them at christmas.

qwak
User is offlineOffline

i try to avoid at all costs, yet even my atheist friends have dragged me into some sort of 'christmas' year after year.

though I'm all about new years.

music

http//www.myspace.com/antiqwak

jester700
User is offlineOffline

floatingegg wrote:
What's stopping you from doing that jester700? When I have the money I purchase gifts for people when I feel like it, not because of a holiday. The same thing goes for getting together with family. If I don't see them during the year, chances are I won't care about seeing them at christmas.

Actually, I just can't convince my agnostic/atheist parents to stop with the presents. Mom likes to see wrapped boxes under the tree. I think it reminds her of when my brothers & I were kids - you know, idyllic memories, rose-colored glasses, etc. I said to just stick empty boxes there and she gave me "a look". It's just so ingrained. When my parents are gone, wife and I will stop. We actually don't do a tree or decorate at our house - it's all at mom's.

But it's ok - it's worth the hassle for the dinner & family (though we actually do dinner there every sunday anyway).

random_antitheist
User is offlineOffline
yep

an excuse for free gifts.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

And a good dinner! Smiling

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

I did the Santa thing with my daughter because I think it's fun for kids. But now that she's a bit older (nearly Cool and no longer a believer, we don't play into it. Last x-mas was the first time ever that I did not put a tree up. I still give gifts and she opens them on Solstice. I'm still trying to convince my family to not give ME gifts. None of us are church-goers... and my brother and father are the only Christians.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Hey, believing in God IS pretty much the adult version of believing in Santa Claus!

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

Yeah, my daughter doesn't believe in either. Eye-wink

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

I love that flyer from the war on Easter that encourages kids to ask their parents:

1. Is the easter Bunny real?
2. Is Santa Claus real?
3. Is God real?

And then it says "remember, the answer will be the same for all 3 questions for the rest of your life." :twisted:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline

Stuff is good, Jesus is bourn, I get presents, jesus dies, I get chocolate.
But yeah, and it's always nice to have some time off.

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

jester700
User is offlineOffline

MattShizzle wrote:
Hey, believing in God IS pretty much the adult version of believing in Santa Claus!

That's one of my favorite parallels. Is it any wonder that our modern visions of those characters are so similar?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Kind of. You don't believe in Santa you don't get any presents, you don't believe in God you go to hell.

floatingegg
User is offlineOffline

I think St. Nicholas is more impressive than Jesus, at least according to the stories that were written about him. I don't have any plans to reproduce, but if I do, I don't think I'll encourage my children to believe in Santa Clause. It's really quite insidious when you think about it.

jester700
User is offlineOffline

MattShizzle wrote:
Kind of. You don't believe in Santa you don't get any presents, you don't believe in God you go to hell.

Yeah, I just meant a (supposedly) kindly old bearded grampa figure who has majik and rewards good behavior.

Of course, santa is fat & fornicates w/elves, and god is just BIG and fornicates w/ angels, so they ARE different... Eye-wink

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

I wasn't thinking that. Also, he knows everything you do. Of course, being hideously tortured forever is just a **little** worse than not getting any toys. Of course not getting any toys is something that could realistically happen.

JB_Montag
JB_Montag's picture
User is offlineOffline

I make it a point not to participate. I ask anyone that wants to give me a present to give it to a charitable organization.

Just like presents, secular or not, it's the thought that counts. I undestand though when someone has children still holding the tradition. They're children after all, not getting a gift when the other kids do is just mean.

I have to admit one friend did give me a present that I kept this year. It was " Buddy Christ " and that's just way too cool Laughing out loud

The paper read yesterday, the earth exploded, nobody noticed the passing of this hapless planet.

Crazybassist03
Crazybassist03's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the songs. Could care

I like the songs. Could care less about gifts.

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I celebrate easter by uh

I celebrate easter by uh having a bigger than usual dinner, eating candy and coloring eggs and stuff and on christmas singing songs albeit religious or night lol I love silent night......and um we eat a bigger than usual dinner and give and take gifts and stuff...im my family's only non-christian.

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---

Joshua
Joshua's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christmus,... Bu hum bug.

Christmus,... Bu hum bug. Chrismus is just another day to me. I actualy atempted to go to work last christmas but the house I was working on was all locked up. lol Dame seventh day adventests contracters. Now,... don't get me rong, giving is a grate thing, but why can't I give all the time and/or even when I can't aford it if I want. Why whate for one day out of the year. What if I get you somthing for December in October and you die in a car crash in November. You'll die and will never have known that I cared enuff to give to you. Although, it is weard to see somones reaction when you give them somthing just for the sake of it, and it's not a holady. They thank you have some alteryor motive. I gues you realy can't be nice to some people. Well,... to dame bad I'm going to do it enyway.

"Keep Fighting The Good Fight"
Joshua D. Jones

berlandk
berlandk's picture
User is offlineOffline
My family has a tree, and we

My family has a tree, and we light a Menorah (my husband's a recovering Jew), and we do all the Santa/Reindeer stuff, because it's fun. But we make sure to give the kids accurate information about what Christmas is all about and why we don't believe in God. Most of the celebratory stuff (like the tree) has its roots in pagan traditions anyway, so we talk about that too. It's like Halloween, in a way. What used to be a pagan celebration has turned into an excuse for food and getting dressed up. Good times.

"People said I was dumb, but I proved them!"~Fry

Christen
Christen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Joe_The_Atheist wrote:By

Joe_The_Atheist wrote:
By "Christmas" holidays i mean Hannukah, New Years, Kwanzaa, etc. I don't necessarily mean "Christmas"

Anyway, what do you guys do for the holiday season? Since my immediate family is consisted of Atheists, we still present gifts and keep a tree up, but don't have any of the jesus stuff. Nor do we pray, midnight mass, etc.

What do you guys do?

My birthday is on 12/25, so Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. Smiling Double prizes!

I still decorate a tree, wrap gifts and help my mom, aunts and grandmother cook, because I enjoy doing it. I love the nostalgia of it all. What sucks is having to split the day between my family and my husband's family.

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
my family isnt rational, all

my family isnt rational, all but my brother and i,but we conform, my friends compare me to jesus, same birthday, similar philosophy, but i exist, yeah i guess celebrating is ok, as long as i keep my secular beleifs to myself my mom dosent explode.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.-Karl Marx

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd consider being compared

I'd consider being compared to Jesus an insult.

Christen
Christen's picture
User is offlineOffline
adaypastdead wrote:my family

adaypastdead wrote:
my family isnt rational, all but my brother and i,but we conform, my friends compare me to jesus, same birthday, similar philosophy, but i exist, yeah i guess celebrating is ok, as long as i keep my secular beleifs to myself my mom dosent explode.

Hey, at least you weren't named after him! Were you also born on 12/25? If Jesus did exist (which I doubt) he wasn't born on that date.

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
eh I like making colored

eh I like making colored eggs on easter and eating candy lol and on christmas I still love all the songs and decorating a tree, eating a big dinner and exchanging gifts.

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---