When you want to take a break from theistic nonsense, what do you do?

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
When you want to take a break from theistic nonsense, what do you do?

I've noticed that I get to a point where I can't read even one more post.  Unfortunately, my community is pretty religious, too, so it's hard to get away from religion entirely.  What do you do to get away?  How long is a long enough vacation?  I think it would be good to share "coping strategies." Smiling

Noor
User is offlineOffline
I usually go and post on a

I usually go and post on a secular forum or two or visit other sites. I sometimes go out for a while even though there are about two or three churches nearby.

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: I've

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I've noticed that I get to a point where I can't read even one more post. Unfortunately, my community is pretty religious, too, so it's hard to get away from religion entirely. What do you do to get away? How long is a long enough vacation? I think it would be good to share "coping strategies." Smiling

I read a book, leave my damned apartment and have a beer, or play a video game, Smiling

ALthough, I just got banned on CARM, so I have a week off, Smiling 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
noor wrote: I usually go

noor wrote:
I usually go and post on a secular forum or two or visit other sites. I sometimes go out for a while even though there are about two or three churches nearby.

Getting out sounds like a good strategy.  The weather in the foothills of California is...manic depressive this time of the year.  There was snow on Duckwall Mountain less than a week ago and now it's sofa king HOT!  It's done this for the past month.  It even snowed way low about a month ago and then got hot.  Weirdosity. 

Woah, I went off on a tangent.

What I meant to say is that I'll be able to get out more now.  The wildflowers are waiting for my camera. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote:   I read a

Maragon wrote:

I read a book, leave my damned apartment and have a beer, or play a video game, Smiling

I do all of the above except the beer thing, which I wish I could do.  (I shouldn't have beer for health reasons.)

I finally got around to trying Counter-Strike: Source.  I always sucked at CS and it didn't help that a large percentage of online players were cheating.  I sometimes played with bots. 

CS: Source has built-in bots.  I didn't know that, so when I finally took a look at the game, I was distracted by the much better graphics and bot feature.  Oooh...aaaah.  Call of Duty 2 has been neglected.  Oh well. 

I have to make myself get out more now that the weather is good. 

so I've been playing too much CS: Source.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Im a massive multi player

Im a massive multi player person. Not world of warcraft though. Cuz that game sucks. Right now Im on Lineage 2. But Im bored out of my mind with it. Waiting for a new one to come out. I play on x box live sometimes. But thats normally what I do. Gaming is my temporary escape from real life in general. A beer and a massive multi player and Im a happy person.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I enjoy reading as a way to

I enjoy reading as a way to "escape."  I love the HP series and cannot wait for the 7th book!  I also enjoy watching TV series.  I love Friends and think its the greatest sitcom show ever! Right now I'm getting into ER and just finished the 3rd Season.  Oh and the Office is so funny!

p.s. Iruka Counter-Strike owns!! 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow!  I really am a crack

Wow!  I really am a crack pot!  Um, to get away from it I plug in my ipod and start frantically cleaning.  Just so you don't think I am totally off my rocker, I don't enjoy cleaning or anything, but it is a good mindless activity for me.  Other than that, my kids are always up to going out for a walk or to the mall.   

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote: Iruka

Maragon wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I've noticed that I get to a point where I can't read even one more post. Unfortunately, my community is pretty religious, too, so it's hard to get away from religion entirely. What do you do to get away? How long is a long enough vacation? I think it would be good to share "coping strategies." Smiling

That would about sum up my response perfectly.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Maragon

Vastet wrote:
Maragon wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:

That would about sum up my response perfectly.

Yes, but what KIND of beer and video games? :P 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There aren't many games I

There aren't many games I don't like, so nothing really gets cut out from that department. As for what exactly to drink, it rather depends on what part of the country I'm in. Eye-wink

Kemono
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: What

Iruka Naminori wrote:
What do you do to get away?

I simply close my Epiphany web browser window. In good old secular Europe the real word is just a single click away. Wink

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: noor

Iruka Naminori wrote:

noor wrote:

Getting out sounds like a good strategy. The weather in the foothills of California is...manic depressive this time of the year. There was snow on Duckwall Mountain less than a week ago and now it's sofa king HOT! It's done this for the past month. It even snowed way low about a month ago and then got hot. Weirdosity.

Woah, I went off on a tangent.

What I meant to say is that I'll be able to get out more now. The wildflowers are waiting for my camera.

Getting out usually works for me especially since there's this nearby church with pretty funny signs. Which reminds me, I saw they changed the sign the other day. I need to go and get a picture of that. Sticking out tongue (A while back it said "Get Bored With Yourself And Interested In Jesus&quotEye-wink

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: Im a

AbandonMyPeace wrote:
Im a massive multi player person. Not world of warcraft though. Cuz that game sucks. Right now Im on Lineage 2. But Im bored out of my mind with it. Waiting for a new one to come out. I play on x box live sometimes. But thats normally what I do. Gaming is my temporary escape from real life in general. A beer and a massive multi player and Im a happy person.

Rawr! Blasphemer! May a murloc tear you asunder!

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd have to agree that WOW

I'd have to agree that WOW is overrated. Though I wouldn't say it sucks.

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was a WoW fanatic up

I was a WoW fanatic up until a few months ago when I forced myself to quit.

It requires way too much of a time investment to get anywhere. And I was the GM of a guild that was to be 2nd on the server through Karazhan....so I played ALOT. :P 

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote:   It

Maragon wrote:

It requires way too much of a time investment to get anywhere. 

Unfortunately this is the case with most massive multi players. Lineage 2 is by far the hardest game out right now. Wow is actually considered to be an easy game compared. The problem is I enjoy those type of games. But I also have a short attention span. So getting anywhere has always been a problem for me. Lineage 2 is so hard that its ridiculous though. Amazing graphics and no content.  I have been considering new hobbies but nothing really interest me right now.