Kid tells parents he's atheist, Christian mom goes nuts

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kid tells parents he's atheist, Christian mom goes nuts

This video serves a wonderful point to people who claim that such things never occur to atheists. Paula Zahn, eat you're heart out. This was too good not to share.

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

McLeod
User is offlineOffline
I tried putting in the ID,

I tried putting in the ID, but I kept getting random vidoes of teenage skanks stripping.  Fortunately it was the second on the list of top 100 videos.

Man, that scared me.  I literally have adrenolene flowing through my whole body after watching that.  The woman's rage seemed so genuine, I don't think it could be fake 

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
Fixed the link.   And yeah

Fixed the link.

And yeah I had absolutely the same feeling. I mean if this is real it's quite on par with child abuse, imho. 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Disturbing.  But.. just to

Disturbing.

But.. just to be a bit balanced.. it is a mother and a son-- and if a mother truly believed her son to be on his path towards hellfire (catholic theology I believe).. I'd imagine she'd be sort of freaked out and willing to do anything to stop it.

Fear is a powerful motivator.  

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Disgusting. I really don't

Disgusting. I really don't know what else to say, I cannot picture treating my son like that because he decides TO believe in a magic friend in the sky.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I told my parents that I

I told my parents that I became an atheist when they found a Bible I ripped to pieces.

They didn't say anything. 

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now she's probably going to

Now she's probably going to lie to herself about what an atheist is, so she doesn't feel bad for anything that happens to her kid.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit... (Gizmo, we know

Shit...

(Gizmo, we know this. It is all the more reason to hate certain Christian doctrines for fucking the morals up of otherwise good people.)

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow. i think my parents may

wow. i think my parents may have acted like that if i had just dropped it on them. i take a much more subtle approach with my folks. i ease them into learning things about myself that they don't like. it took them a long time to learn i was gay, because i gave them a bunch of subtle hints until finally they couldn't deny it, but i didn't drop any bomb shell on them, so they accepted it with little fuss (no screaming or yelling). it's the same with my lack of religious belief. for years we've argued over certain aspects of their faith, and it's become more and more obvious that i don't subscribe to it. but i think that they'd still get pissed if i came out to them as an atheist at this point. my mom just think i'm mad at god. ah, moms. 

and it's ridiculous that people would believe that this doesn't happen to atheists who come out to their families. 

Rill

Vanguard
Vanguard's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a rather common

This is a rather common occurance too. If only more of them could be caught on tape like this.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
"You're an Aatheist? give

"You're an Aatheist? give me a break!..."

That was funny and disturbing at the same time.

Just for my own curiosity, how old is the poor guy?

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's about what happened

That's about what happened to me and I was in my fucking thirties.  My mother went apeshit on me.  She's done it a few times since.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ABx
User is offlineOffline
I was just about to post a

I was just about to post a link to this myself. It quite literally makes me sick.

MisterDax
User is offlineOffline
Revolting...stomach

Revolting...stomach turning...When that bitch of a mother walked to her son, I thought she was going to slap him or something.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
MisterDax

MisterDax wrote:
Revolting...stomach turning...When that bitch of a mother walked to her son, I thought she was going to slap him or something.

Me too.

I'm still in the closet. I think the best way is to give subtle hints, over time, if you think your family will react like that. They'll get used to it gradually. Remember to be very, very careful, though. At this point, I think that they suspect I'm an atheist anyway, but I'm not sure. Sudden revelations (like this kid presumably did) NEVER go over well. My sister, my mom, and one of my brothers yelled at me a whole bunch, IN A PUBLIC PLACE (Pizza Hut) when I told them I believed in the Theory of Evolution. The best responses from each were:

Mother: But...but...you believe in god!

Brother: ARE YOU AN IDIOT!!!?

Sister: Shut up, shut up, you don't! Not one more word! I hate you right now! 

I had to say "you can believe in god and evolution" several times, and call them up and explain how it was possible, in detail, the next day. I don't like lying, but it was necessary.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
MisterDax

MisterDax wrote:

As someone who grew up in an environment similar to this by the way she grabbed him and screamed in his face I got the impression that she probably has slapped him a time or two. I'd like to find out who the kid is.  

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do we know for sure this

Do we know for sure this was real?

I know stuff like this happens every day to the poor kids who make it out of religion, but was this instance real? 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977

Lynette1977 wrote:

MisterDax wrote:

As someone who grew up in an environment similar to this by the way she grabbed him and screamed in his face I got the impression that she probably has slapped him a time or two. I'd like to find out who the kid is.

Ask the person who uploaded it?

I almost posted this on GodTube, but they'd ban me for that "christian" language, and that wouldn't be good. 

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would also like to know if

I would also like to know if this is real.  I can't believe stuff like this takes place.  Why do people become parents if they can't handle their children being different?  To tell you the truth I thought the video was quite funny.  I especially liked how she threatened the child with presents at Christmas time - lol.

Sleestak
User is offlineOffline
Although the situation is

Although the situation is probably not too far from reality, the video reads as bogus as anything I've seen. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love it!  "You're not

I love it!  "You're not going to get any presents for Christmas because Jesus is what it's all about."

Huh? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm lucky to have very

I'm lucky to have very calm, laid back parents.

In fact, most of my 'rational thinking' comes from my father, and I can clearly remember him telling me in my teens, "Jesus was just a guy, don't get all bent out of shape over religion."

He's not an atheist per se, just not that into religion.

I love how christians spout off shit about being repressed and claim that we atheists suffer no 'societal' consequences, I mean hell, after that kid got beat up at Ryerson for putting up posters, I've been kind of afraid to read anything 'controversal' in public.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleestak wrote: Although

Sleestak wrote:
Although the situation is probably not too far from reality, the video reads as bogus as anything I've seen.

What about it is bogus? 

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heartbreaking. Like the kid

Heartbreaking. Like the kid can just, *poof*, believe in gawd?

Especially awesome is the mom's brilliant "present tactic."

She was all, "Muahahah, this is his undoing! I'll get this wayward child under control with some bribery!" 

Kid: "FINE!!!"

Mom: "Shit, uh, that was my plan. That's all I've got. Oh crap, what do I say now."

Edger
User is offlineOffline
...consummate Christian

...consummate Christian hypcrisy. Of course it's not surprising.

Mommy Dearest, in all her divine confusion, doesn't understand that hellfire tantrums are part of the reason Michael embraces reason (just a guess).

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat

GlamourKat wrote:

Heartbreaking. Like the kid can just, *poof*, believe in gawd?

In her eyes, he *poof* didn't believe in gawd. Not exactly a very intelligent view, but it's common. 

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would guess 15 or so.  I

I would guess 15 or so.  I know if I was that young and my Mom yelled at me, I would be freaked out too.  Luckily my Mom never grabbed me like that so I feel real sorry for that kid.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:

Sleestak wrote:

What about it is bogus?

It's in my nature to question everything, probably because I got taken on quite a ride when it came to that whole Jesus-is-God's-Son-and-he-died-for-your-sins-and-was-raised- from-the-grave thing.  I only question the authenticity because I'd like to know the story.

I've had very similar experiences with my own family, so I know things like this happen.  It's just odd for it to be caught on film.  I would have liked to have caught some of my mother's tirades on film.  It would have been interesting.  Maybe a good B-grade horror movie. Smiling

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: It's

Iruka Naminori wrote:

It's in my nature to question everything, probably because I got taken on quite a ride when it came to that whole Jesus-is-God's-Son-and-he-died-for-your-sins-and-was-raised- from-the-grave thing. I only question the authenticity because I'd like to know the story.

I've had very similar experiences with my own family, so I know things like this happen. It's just odd for it to be caught on film. I would have liked to have caught some of my mother's tirades on film. It would have been interesting. Maybe a good B-grade horror movie. Smiling

My theory about it being caught is that the person had a brother or sister who heard this, and snuck in with the camera to document it, possibly show the mom she was being ridiculous. I know that there have been many times I've had a sibling getting yelled at by/yelling at one of my parents, or another sibling, and I would go to wherever it was happening to see what was up.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
When I read the title I

When I read the title I thought of this:

(found using the term "crazy christian lady&quotEye-wink

I found it funny that the mom's reaction was to take away christmas toys. Now it is an odd thing to do, but I think it has more to do with the mom realizing she doesn't have control over her son then him telling her he is atheist. I mean come on, "NO MORE TOYS"?

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: I found

Voiderest wrote:

I found it funny that the mom's reaction was to take away christmas toys. Now it is an odd thing to do, but I think it has more to do with the mom realizing she doesn't have control over her son then him telling her he is atheist. I mean come on, "NO MORE TOYS"?

I'd bet my left nad that, come Christmas, she'll cave in and give him gifts. Assuming she's a halfway decent human being. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
But.. just to be a bit

But.. just to be a bit balanced.. it is a mother and a son-- and if a mother truly believed her son to be on his path towards hellfire (catholic theology I believe).. I'd imagine she'd be sort of freaked out and willing to do anything to stop it.

An unjustified decision based on faulty intel. See Muslim suicide bombers, L. Ron Hubbard baby formula, and Christian Science for more like it.

Sleestak
User is offlineOffline
Am I the only one who

Am I the only one who thinks this is nothing more than bad actors bad-acting? Its like they're rehearsing a scene and no one quite knows their lines. It reminds me of those bad public service commercials. "Where did you learn to do drugs Michael?" "I learned it from watching you!!!" ...aaand SCENE!

I've watched this over and over - I just don't buy it.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's already got close to

It's already got close to 80,000 views. Must have been featured somewhere. Anyway, someone should replicate this to their YT channel so if it gets taken down we can still use it. It's good anti-propaganda. Very good.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

Juvenile Narcissist wrote:
and it's ridiculous that people would believe that this doesn't happen to atheists who come out to their families.

Maybe we should start asking Christians, "If you had a child which you raised as a Christian, and that child one day told you he/she was an atheist, what would you do?" When they deny that they would do anything (except maybe pray), we can say, "Really? You wouldn't freak out like this mom?" and point them to the video.

Raise some awareness of what's going on! 

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:

MisterDax wrote:

Me too.

Me three. 

Quote:
Sudden revelations (like this kid presumably did) NEVER go over well. My sister, my mom, and one of my brothers yelled at me a whole bunch, IN A PUBLIC PLACE (Pizza Hut) when I told them I believed in the Theory of Evolution.

Well, this kid has exposed his situation to almost 80,000 people so far. Mom freaking out seen by a stadium full of people. Surprised I wonder how long that vid will be up before mom finds out and demands it is taken down. Someone replicate it! This is a good meme to support.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What a psycho.

What a psycho.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
She needs an exorcism.

She needs an exorcism.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote: Maybe we

natural wrote:

Maybe we should start asking Christians, "If you had a child which you raised as a Christian, and that child one day told you he/she was an atheist, what would you do?"

Actually, that sounds like a good topic for the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.  I'm not sure this video would be a good refutation for anything they might reply as we're unsure of its authenticity, but I'd be curious to hear some of the answersl

Hence, I'm going to pop over there right now and do that.

Thanks! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Unlucky13
Unlucky13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hahahahahahaha What did she

Hahahahahahaha

What did she expect him to say? "NOTHING FOR CHRISTMAS?! WHAT?! OK, FINE I BELIEVE IN GOD, WHAT EVER! JUST DONT TAKE AWAY CHRISTMAS!!"

That kid is definately brave. I haven't been able to come out and tell my parents. I'm sure they've figured it out by now but I haven't admitted anything. I would have liked to have seen the rest of the conversation play out though. 

ASK A PRIEST!!!!

I am collecting questions for the next couple of weeks. Do you have a question you'd like to ask a priest? Post it here:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/5959

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
rab wrote: She needs an

rab wrote:
She needs an exorcism.
How about a Lobotomy?

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
"How about a

"How about a Lobotomy?"

Isn't that what Christianity is? 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote: "How about

Maragon wrote:

"How about a Lobotomy?"

Isn't that what Christianity is?

So, the Ramones song "Teenage Lobotomy" is actually about teen christians?

LOL! 

Edger
User is offlineOffline
Lots of folks (not just here

Lots of folks (not just here but on other sites the clip is posted) are claiming this 1 is staged. That doesn't add up. If it was a skit they would've finished the monologue. Don't you think? Seems like a huge set up for a few seconds of nothing. Yeah, nothing. This crap happens everyday all over the world.

mouse
User is offlineOffline
it looks a bit forced and

it looks a bit forced and over-the-top to me. the circumstances of recording seem  a bit suspect too.

Ethics and aesthetics are one
-Wittgenstein

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
mouse wrote: it looks a bit

mouse wrote:
it looks a bit forced and over-the-top to me. the circumstances of recording seem a bit suspect too.

Not me. I commented to the guy...maybe I'll get a reply? 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
mouse wrote: it looks a bit

mouse wrote:
it looks a bit forced and over-the-top to me. the circumstances of recording seem a bit suspect too.

In the interest of truth, I sent it to Snopes.com for review. The mother's reaction is actually one I've seen before so I doubt it wasn't staged much more than the kid saying "hey, I'm going to go tell my mom I'm atheist...get the camera" but I could also be wrong. Either way, it does happen whether this video is truthful or not. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote:

Lynette1977 wrote:

mouse wrote:

In the interest of truth, I sent it to Snopes.com for review. The mother's reaction is actually one I've seen before so I doubt it wasn't staged much more than the kid saying "hey, I'm going to go tell my mom I'm atheist...get the camera" but I could also be wrong. Either way, it does happen whether this video is truthful or not.

Great idea, sending it to Snopes! I don't have a vested interest in its authenticity because those of us who have gone through the experience of telling family members we're atheists can attest to the...interesting responses. Smiling Still, it would be nice to have some concrete evidence. Even so, I've found some people that actually stick up for the mother! I guess it was mean of her son to spring it on her like that. Whatever. She's supposed to be the adult.

I kept my atheism a secret for a very long time, but when I did come out, there was hell to pay. When I was functionally blind from eye surgery complications and afraid of losing my sight, my mother and I had a major confrontation. All I could do was listen to music. During that time I found Dan Barker's music very comforting. My mother doesn't respect boundaries. To this day--even now that I have my own place--she just walks right in. (I had to make her give up her key to my apartment so I can lock the door for privacy.) The short of the story is this: It wasn't MY fault she barged right in and heard Dan Barker's lyrics.

She yelled and screamed. She berated and hollered. She accused me of shoving atheism down her throat. Yes. How dare I listen to my own music on my own stereo system in my own room? I mean I should have respected her delusions a bit more and made sure she didn't just barge right in (even though I'd asked her not to a Brazilian™ times) and hear something that might challenge her to actually think.

Christians.

Can't live with 'em; can't rebuild the Colosseum and toss 'em to the lions.

DeeLock
DeeLock's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love how that's the first

I love how that's the first thing that she thinks of to tempt him back to Christianity.

"THAT'S WHAT'S CHRISTMAS IS ABOUT, JESUS CHRIST!"

Huh? 

Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.

-Woody Allen

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nickasummers from

Nickasummers from atheistforums.com had this to say about the video, and it was funny.

Quote:
i loved the awkward silence after the son said "ok" to not getting gifts.

mom: bla bla not getting anything for christmas (ha! that will teach him)
son: ok!
Mom: (what.... why didnt that work? hmm) No its not ok

LMAO!

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
No toys for Christmas....shudder.

As usual I apologize if this has already been posted (is there a search function I don't know of?).

I found the following video quite shocking, and sadly it was quite quickly removed from youtube by the user who posted it. But luckily we have undeletetube.

So go to the following link:

http://www.tubemall.net/undeletube.php?v=1twuoAZ3CFY

I wonder if this is real.Embarassed

edit: quicklink added