-82% Christian

- 5% Non-Christian

- 4% Non-Religious but still believe

- 3% Atheist

- 6% Agnostic/No Religion

48% of Americans reject evolution

49% report knowing an atheist

62% of registered voters would not vote for an atheist candidate

26% Think it's not possible to be a moral atheist.

There are some good and bad numbers in here. From the polls that I've seen in the past the evolution number is an improvement, but the atheist candidate number got much worse.

On another note. Why is it that people say "believe in God" instead of "believe in a god"?

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Sucks how they wouldn't vote

Sucks how they wouldn't vote on someone because of that. Imagine if the majority of Americans wouldn't vote for someone who believes Elvis is realy dead, or that doesn't believe in psychics?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
It indicates one thing. That

It indicates one thing. That few atheists took the poll. Perhaps it is because few atheists read Newsweek.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't Newsweek have a

Doesn't Newsweek have a somewhat conservative slant?

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Possibly, but nothing here says to me that they ran the poll poorly. I've seen very similar numbers over the last year from a whole series of studies/polls.

The one number that I was most surprised about was the atheist candidate.  All the polls I've seen recently had the number close to 50%.  A month ago Gallup put the number at 55%

Apparently America would rather vote for a Black Jewish Woman who's been married 3 times. Than one of us. Frown

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
Didn't newsweek just do an

Didn't newsweek just do an article on 'Is God Real' and brought in Harris and Pastor Warren (I believe it was) to have a debate?  I just read it last night, and I'm pretty sure it was in Newsweek.  Well what ever it was in, it was a good read.  Typical responses from both sides though.

I wonder what those poll results would like if they were takin by Canadians, which I am. 

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Doesn't

MattShizzle wrote:

Here's the actual poll. It looks like a standard poll to me. The sample size was 1004, which is normal for a national poll. The margin of error is 4%, which isn't bad. So the number of people who wouldn't vote for an atheist is really anywhere between 58% and 66%. If the figures V1per41 gave were good, then it looks like this has gone up.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
If they broke the 91%

It would a little more accurate (and a lot less impressive) if they broke the 91% christians down by denomination.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I know a theist probably

I know a theist probably wouldn't vote for me, but I think that is more me then being atheist. I mean come on when it comes out (it would since google exists) I'd probably say something like, "Sure I don't believe in your god, but on the plus side I don't believe in the other guys god either." With that others would realize atheist doesn't mean anti-christian....

Yes there are people who think that.... :: points to fan-mail :: 

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looking at the results a

Looking at the results a little closer (question 12) it appears that only 13% of the people in this country actually agree with the theory of evolution. And what is even more surprising is that only 45% of atheists/agnostics agree with the theory. Those numbers totally floor me.

I'm also confused as to how 48% of the people think that it is a well supported by evidence and accepted in the scientific community, yet only 13% actually agree with it.

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote: On another

V1per41 wrote:

On another note. Why is it that people say "believe in God" instead of "believe in a god"?

Because, no matter how much they deny it, they expect you to believe in their god. Furthermore, they believe "all gods are one god," which actually goes against The Ten Commandments. How can you worship a "false god" or "have no other gods" if all are the same?

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, Sam Harris did do an

Yeah, Sam Harris did do an article for Newsweek, here it is:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15566391/site/newsweek/ 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote: I wonder

22jesus22 wrote:

I wonder what those poll results would like if they were takin by Canadians, which I am.

Last I heard, non-religious folks made up roundabouts 20% of Canada, with about 70% being christian and the rest being made up of various other faiths (hinduism, buddhism and islam being the biggest ones, in that order).
I don't have a source, though. Sorry.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wiki's not the greatest

Wiki's not the greatest source for controvercial subjects, but simple numbers are less likely to be fictionalized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Canada

16% - no religion. 77% roman catholic or protestant. Though various areas fluctuate. Alberta tends to be more religious, while B.C. tends to be less religious. We do have some work to do.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.