Would you like fries with that?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Would you like fries with that?

On Georgia Public Radio, not 15 minutes ago, I heard a local interest story about how religion is taking over the fast food industry in a nearby county.

It seems that Hardees (It's called something else outside of the south, it's the one with the happy star logo) has started having Christian music Karaoke on Monday and Tuesday, and the Burger King down the street picks it up on Thursday and Friday.  (Wednesday is choir practice at the church, so of course they don't have it then.)

They sell xtian records, T-shirts, caps, and bumper stickers, and have "musicians" come in from as far away as the next county over, to sing with canned music and spread the word of Jesus while people chow down on the extra thick and juicy half pound of meat-product on a bun.

The manager of one of the Hardees said she loves it, because it brings in a lot of customers.

Is it me, or is it a sign of the apocolypse that the two worst things ever invented are now together?  Religion and Fast Food?

I nearly had to pull my car over to throw up.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hardees is disgusting

Hardees is disgusting anyway, even worse than most fast food. At least Chic-Fil-A has decent food, even though their owned by fundees too (stopped eating there once I found that out.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Natural selection at work,

Natural selection at work, I'd say.  Let history show that the christians died out from heart disease.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: It

Hambydammit wrote:

It seems that Hardees (It's called something else outside of the south, it's the one with the happy star logo)

*Insert phalus joke here* 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Hardees

MattShizzle wrote:
Hardees is disgusting anyway, even worse than most fast food. At least Chic-Fil-A has decent food, even though their owned by fundees too (stopped eating there once I found that out.)

Im sorry, I have had Chic-fil-a or however the hell its spelled, and their stuff is crap compared to other places.  Not a big fan of them.

Nevermind In & Out....

qbg
User is offlineOffline
Hardees is called Hardees in

Hardees is called Hardees in Minnesota...

Andrew Carmichael
Andrew Carmichael's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow.  I knew that fast food

Wow.  I knew that fast food organizations tend to support some religious organizations... but what you listed is just insane...

JB_Montag
JB_Montag's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hardees is owned by CKE

Hardees is owned by CKE enterprises. Carl's Jr is the original brand for the company and is primarily found on the west coast.

The paper read yesterday, the earth exploded, nobody noticed the passing of this hapless planet.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with zarathustra, we

I agree with zarathustra, we can only hope that evolution takes its natural course and that all xtians die of poor health due to too much fast food. I also refuse to eat at chic-fil-a knowing that its a very christian run company.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Im not sure how widespread

Im not sure how widespread In & out is outside of California, but theres something very wrong about putting Bible verses on the drink cups (tho on the bottom but still).

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
And McDonalds suddenly looks

And McDonalds suddenly looks a bit better. Only a bit, but still.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's pretty disgusting when

It's pretty disgusting when fast food restaurants sell xian products.

How about this one?

It's my understanding that Domino's Pizza helps fund the pro-lifers.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I remember correctly, the

If I remember correctly, the founder of Domino's is the idiot behind that 'Ave Maria' city down in Florida.  An entire planned community based on christian values and philosophy.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't have noticed the

I wouldn't have noticed the religious references on In-N-Out packaging if I hadn't been specifically tipped off about it. I have trouble getting upset about it when commerce is so questionable without a supernatural ideology.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, so... the fast food

OK, so... the fast food industry will soon start selling products like:

- HymnBurger

- JeezBurger

- BigMa...sterInTheSky

- CocaCross-a

- Kentucky Fried Nonbeliever

- BurgerGod

- Magdalene Shake (with topping)

- SinFingers

etc.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of my biggest goals in

One of my biggest goals in life is to win the Superbowl Halftime thing, where Chick-Filet (who cares how it's spelled.  Fuck them.) gives you money if you can throw a ball into a bucket.

The thing is, after someone wins, they always ask, "What are you going to do with the money?" and they always seem to have someone who says, "Well, I'm going to donate 10% of it to my church, and give a bunch to help support the Salvation Army, blah, blah, blah."

I want to win it and say, "The most important thing in America right now is the fight to end the power of religion over weak minds, so I'm going to donate all of it to the Freedom From Religion Foundation."

You think they cut to commercial fast when they saw a naked boob?  Just wait til somebody says something like that!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: One of

Hambydammit wrote:

One of my biggest goals in life is to win the Superbowl Halftime thing, where Chick-Filet (who cares how it's spelled. Fuck them.) gives you money if you can throw a ball into a bucket.

The thing is, after someone wins, they always ask, "What are you going to do with the money?" and they always seem to have someone who says, "Well, I'm going to donate 10% of it to my church, and give a bunch to help support the Salvation Army, blah, blah, blah."

I want to win it and say, "The most important thing in America right now is the fight to end the power of religion over weak minds, so I'm going to donate all of it to the Freedom From Religion Foundation."

You think they cut to commercial fast when they saw a naked boob? Just wait til somebody says something like that!

I will pray to the FSM that this happens. I really need to hear something like that said on national television.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They'll shit their pants!

They'll shit their pants!

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, the former owner of

Yeah, the former owner of Domino's has or had a dispute with the town he lives in, because he wanted to erect a huge cross on his lawn or somewhere that violated city ordinances.

It's not a fast-food place, but Curves is also owned by people who use the money from members to support pro-life causes.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
After reading this, I'm

After reading this, I'm really really grateful I live in Jersey!

This doesn't have to do with a food chain, but a clohting chain.  A couple of weeks ago I was in an H&M in the city and they were definitely playing christian rock music.  The Forever 21 yellow shopping bag has a bible verse on it (I think it's John 3:16).  I keep forgetting to look it up.

I had no idea Chic-fil-a was owned by Fundies.  I'll have to cross that one off my list.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
SassyDevil wrote: Yeah, the

SassyDevil wrote:
Yeah, the former owner of Domino's has or had a dispute with the town he lives in, because he wanted to erect a huge cross on his lawn or somewhere that violated city ordinances.

Maybe they should let him erect his cross so someone else could counter it with something like this:

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's H&M? I'm in Jersey,

What's H&M?

I'm in Jersey, too, Jane!

Yeah, Chik-fil-A is even closed on Sunday because of the founder's beliefs. See the Chick-fil-A website, especially some of the information under the "Frequently Asked" section, and that includes a link to the founder, Truett Cathy, and his beliefs.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
SassyDevil wrote: What's

SassyDevil wrote:
What's H&M? I'm in Jersey, too, Jane! Yeah, Chik-fil-A is even closed on Sunday because of the founder's beliefs. See the Chick-fil-A website, especially some of the information under the "Frequently Asked" section, and that includes a link to the founder, Truett Cathy, and his beliefs.

H&M is a clothing store that has decent clothes for pretty cheap.  They're not everywhere.  I think they started in Europe somewhere.  Madonna's doing a line for them. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_OMortis wrote: OK,

Rigor_OMortis wrote:

OK, so... the fast food industry will soon start selling products like:

- HymnBurger

- JeezBurger

- BigMa...sterInTheSky

- CocaCross-a

- Kentucky Fried Nonbeliever

- BurgerGod

- Magdalene Shake (with topping)

- SinFingers

etc.

Cheesus Crust!

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn. That would be the day.

Quote:

Damn. That would be the day. I love it!

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Hardees

MattShizzle wrote:
Hardees is disgusting anyway, even worse than most fast food. At least Chic-Fil-A has decent food, even though their owned by fundees too (stopped eating there once I found that out.)

Dude, why avoid a place that you would otherwise enjoy specifically for the owners' beliefs? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Because they use some of

Because they use some of their profits to support conservative Christian causes (ie pro-life.) Do NOT want my money supporting that!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Because

MattShizzle wrote:
Because they use some of their profits to support conservative Christian causes (ie pro-life.) Do NOT want my money supporting that!
Well that's different, assuming they do donate money to those causes.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep.  I'm afraid they

Yep.  I'm afraid they do.

There's big money to be made in Christianity, and some businesses know it.   Worse yet, some people believe it's a good thing to do.  That's why Chik filet is especially bad.  He really believes it, and supports lots of Christian organizations.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to admit I'm

I have to admit I'm surprised noones written a book on how to become rich by forwarding religion(to my knowledge anyway). There's enough books out there covering the subject that you'd think at least one person would cover the top way.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:

SassyDevil wrote:
What's H&M? I'm in Jersey, too, Jane! Yeah, Chik-fil-A is even closed on Sunday because of the founder's beliefs. See the Chick-fil-A website, especially some of the information under the "Frequently Asked" section, and that includes a link to the founder, Truett Cathy, and his beliefs.

H&M is a clothing store that has decent clothes for pretty cheap. They're not everywhere. I think they started in Europe somewhere. Madonna's doing a line for them.

H&M is a Swedish company. It's the biggest clothes store over there, a billion dollar company. Apparently, the Church of Sweden is a major shareholder in the company: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4259624.stm#10things

I do not know how to actually verify this, but it would not surprise me that they invest church money in H&M (it's a very succesful company). Church of Sweden is also a significant land owner, due to their former position as state church.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Yep.

Hambydammit wrote:

Yep. I'm afraid they do.

There's big money to be made in Christianity, and some businesses know it. Worse yet, some people believe it's a good thing to do. That's why Chik filet is especially bad. He really believes it, and supports lots of Christian organizations.

A lot of musicians that would have otherwise failed have discovered this too. Ever heard of Slick Shoes? Worst blink-182- ripoff ever, but they got rich due to being christian. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah... one word for

Yeah... one word for you...

Stryper.

On the other hand, there have been some very talented musicians who probably could have done great things had they not um... sold their soul.  There was a band about twenty years ago that sounded just like Ratt, but their guitarist was crazy good.  I can't remember the name of the band, but if they'd been a "secular" hair band, they'd probably have gotten rich.  Phil Keaggy is also extremely talented.

Dino... not so much.

Books about atheism

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe that Blockbuster

I believe that Blockbuster has ties to Christian evangelicism as well, unless I'm mistaken. 

I use Netflix, but they are clean as far as I know.

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Yeah... one word for you...

Stryper.

On the other hand, there have been some very talented musicians who probably could have done great things had they not um... sold their soul. There was a band about twenty years ago that sounded just like Ratt, but their guitarist was crazy good. I can't remember the name of the band, but if they'd been a "secular" hair band, they'd probably have gotten rich. Phil Keaggy is also extremely talented.

Dino... not so much.

Wouldn't they do better if they DID sell their soul?

If you like the metal, and want some good christian stuff, click here. Not hair metal, but good shit.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
ShaunPhilly wrote: I

ShaunPhilly wrote:

I believe that Blockbuster has ties to Christian evangelicism as well, unless I'm mistaken.

I use Netflix, but they are clean as far as I know.

Shaun

I don't like blockbuster anyway, due to its censorship policies.

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are a number of video

There are a number of video businesses that provide "clean" videos--that is, they censor Hollywood blockbusters (and maybe not-so-successful movies) to make them family-friendly. I think there have been copyright lawsuits over it.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
SassyDevil wrote: There are

SassyDevil wrote:
There are a number of video businesses that provide "clean" videos--that is, they censor Hollywood blockbusters (and maybe not-so-successful movies) to make them family-friendly. I think there have been copyright lawsuits over it.

That's not it. If it's not friendly enough, they won't have it. Period.  Wal Mart is similar