Buddhism

Vanguard
Vanguard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buddhism

Considering it is a non-theistic religion, does it really qualify as a religion at all? (keepin in mind, I'm really not very familiar with this belief system at all)

Kind of interested to see the general sentiment regarding it around here.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
- Gene Roddenberry

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
As long as there exists no

As long as there exists no proof for a soul or reincarnation, it's religion to me.

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's really no one

There's really no one answer on this one, as there are many different sects of Buddhism, some containing drastically different beliefs.

Some sects are quite dogmatic and can clearly be defined as "religion".  On the other hand, some fall more accurately into the field of philosophy.

I have always liked Buddhism in general.  The emphasis is usually placed on understanding yourself, understanding the world, and striving to find the balance to make both better.  Many of the observations made by Buddhist philosophers really hold true in a practical and scientific manner. 

That's probably the strength of Eastern religions like Taoism and Buddhism... they're not over-engineered like many Western religions.  That simplicity helps them adapt and stand the test of time.