Homosexuality in today's society

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Homosexuality in today's society

I am a strong gay rights activist. I wanted to share some videos with all of you. Videos that make me ponder if I really can't kill a person. These aren't people, these are monsters...

Video 1

and

Video 2

[Mod edit]

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes... Fred Phelps is about

Yes... Fred Phelps is about as vile of an excuse for a human being as you can find.

It was actually asses like him that got me involved in secular activism.  I cannot fathom why anyone would be filled with so much hatred based upon what consenting adults choose to do with their genitals.

I try to be as vocal as possible on the subject.  I find that many other straight people are afraid to stand up for gay rights for fear of being "accused" of being gay.  It reminds me of the good old days of the witch trials... nobody would stand up for those being tried for fear of being branded witches themselves.

I think it is the obligation of every decent person to take a stand for the dignity of all people.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I mentioned this before, but

I mentioned this before, but Fred Phelps is such a whack job that Pat FUCKING Robertson said of him "I think this guy is nuts!" By the way, his entire church is his extended family.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll have to check out the

I'll have to check out the videos later but the whole gay marriage issues is really what got me interested in activism.  I find it insulting and unconstitutional that a group of people can push their religious values on another group of people.  They don't even see their own prejudices.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's so annoying. I got

It's so annoying. I got into the whole activism thing when I realized I was bi. It makes me so mad.

The three thing I stand up for strongly:

Gay rights.

Animal rights.

And freedom FROM religion.

Honestly, I think atheists are way better people than Christians.  

myspace.com/miyao

FundamentallyFlawed
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I'll have

pariahjane wrote:
I'll have to check out the videos later but the whole gay marriage issues is really what got me interested in activism. I find it insulting and unconstitutional that a group of people can push their religious values on another group of people. They don't even see their own prejudices.

Very true.  As far as the government is concerned, marriage is a civil contract between two people.  There is no reason two adults should not be allowed to enter into such a contract.

Any of the moral or ethical issues raised by same sex marriage should be a matter of concern ONLY to the church.  If churches choose not to perform or recognize gay marriages, so be it.  They should not, however, be allowed to dictate civil law.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If there's a line between

If there's a line between religion and cultism, Phelps crosses is so far as to not see the line anymore. Though I don't believe there is a line, that's a different topic.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FundamentallyFlawed
User is offlineOffline
Last year I went to a party

Last year I went to a party to help raise funds to campaign against Rick Santorum. There were several gay activists there, and they actually liked what Phelps does.

It actually makes a lot of sense... a lot of moderate christians who are unsure about their views on homosexuality see what Phelps is doing and ask themselves if that's who they want to be. The answer is almost always "NO!!!!!!!"

Phelps has elevated himself to a cartoonish level. The only people who take him seriously anymore are his own family.

The people you should be worried about are groups like the American Family Association. They hide their bigotry behind the cloak of "family values". Far more people take them seriously.

http://www.afa.net/

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate the world sometimes.

I hate the world sometimes. I mean, this is OUR country, we should be free.

You're right, FundamentallyFlawed, there is no reason other than religion as to why gay people cannot marry/do what they want in their bedrooms.

Ugh. As for Fred Phelps, I wish he'll hurry up and die. I know that won't stop any of it, but still. 

myspace.com/miyao

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe we'll all get lucky

Maybe we'll all get lucky and they'll kill themselves in religious fervour.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
FundamentallyFlawed

FundamentallyFlawed wrote:

Very true. As far as the government is concerned, marriage is a civil contract between two people. There is no reason two adults should not be allowed to enter into such a contract.

Any of the moral or ethical issues raised by same sex marriage should be a matter of concern ONLY to the church. If churches choose not to perform or recognize gay marriages, so be it. They should not, however, be allowed to dictate civil law. 

Exactly.  As far as I'm concerned, denying homosexuals the right to marry is akin to denying a couple the right to marry based on their religious faith.  Who cares if a couple is gay or straight.  If they love each other and want to commit to each other, then let them.  

FundamentallyFlawed
User is offlineOffline
Philadelphians Against

Philadelphians Against Santurom had a Santorum impersonator contest shortly before he got his ass handed to him in the election last year.  I loved the line one of the guys came up with...

"If we allow one man to marry another man, then we must also allow a dog to marry a rock!"

It was a parody of Santorum's comments SUPPORTING anti-sodomy laws.  He claimed that if sodomy is legal, then we must also legalize incest and bestiality... as if there is no distinction between the former and the latter.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
FundamentallyFlawed

Philadelphians Against Santurom had a Santorum impersonator contest shortly before he got his ass handed to him in the election last year. I loved the line one of the guys came up with...

"If we allow one man to marry another man, then we must also allow a dog to marry a rock!"

It was a parody of Santorum's comments SUPPORTING anti-sodomy laws. He claimed that if sodomy is legal, then we must also legalize incest and bestiality... as if there is no distinction between the former and the latter.

Are you familiar with Dan Savage? He writes for The Onion, amongst others? He gave 'Santorum' a whole new meaning. A more appropriate one, IMHO.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

FundamentallyFlawed
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: Are you

Roisin Dubh wrote:
Are you familiar with Dan Savage? He writes for The Onion, amongst others? He gave 'Santorum' a whole new meaning. A more appropriate one, IMHO.

Hehe... yes. He actually did a lot of fundraising for the group.

For the benefit of those who don't know what he's talking about, Dan Savage held a contest to create the most vile definition for "Santorum".  The winner was...

... the frothy mixture of anal lube and fecal matter that is often the result of anal sex.

Classic!

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
FundamentallyFlawed

Very true. As far as the government is concerned, marriage is a civil contract between two people. There is no reason two adults should not be allowed to enter into such a contract.

Not in Australia, or at least not according to our prime minister.  He has gone on record many a time as saying that he forced through the laws against gay marraige to keep the true meaning behind the word which is the "union of a man and a woman".  

WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT!!! It has never been defined like that before, only after non-hetrosexuals started appearing openly in society.  He's just twisting words and often hiding, using his religion as a shield or a mask to protect him from what would otherwise be seen as the most blatant acts of homophobia and descrimination.  It makes my blood boil the way fundies do this and get away with it in an improved position from where they started.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate people. -_-

I hate people. -_-

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
In the Sudan, a man can

In the Sudan, a man can marry his goat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4748292.stm

(Shades of Edward Albee!) 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please, someone help me

Please, someone help me understand this. In the United States, we have this thing in the Bill of Rights that is supposed to not allow Congress to make any law that supports or establishes any religion. This is supposed to be interpreted as a "wall of separation," according to Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Church in 1802, whence the phrase comes from. In addition, we have laws against discrimination.

So, if any church, anywhere in the United States of America, wanted to marry two men, two women (or two men and a woman, two woman and a man, two men and two women, etc), then any action by Congress against this would be an establishment of one group of religious people over another--which is essentially an establishment of religion, right?

So, all it would take is for a Unitarian Church (for example; it could be any religious group) to announce that they would start marrying any couple who wanted to marry, and if the government tried to say that they could not, then the church could sue for discrimmination of their religious beliefs.

If marriage is a religious rite (as many people claim), then a church which will allow gays to marry should be able to do so, because government cannot support one religious view over another without acting as an establishment of said religious belief (and thus the religion said belief is based upon). If marriage is civil, then the beliefs of some religious people should not even be legitimately considered as relevant in terms of what rights couples have. Thus, New jersey recently made civil unions legal, which is good. Thus, in New Jersey if a church, syagogue, temple, etc wanted to marry two men, then how can the state prevent this?

What I don't understand is how, legally, the state (especially New Jersey, at the moment) or the Federal government can disallow gay marriage at all.

Shaun

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
ShaunPhilly wrote: Please,

ShaunPhilly wrote:

Please, someone help me understand this. In the United States, we have this thing in the Bill of Rights that is supposed to not allow Congress to make any law that supports or establishes any religion. This is supposed to be interpreted as a "wall of separation," according to Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Church in 1802, whence the phrase comes from. In addition, we have laws against discrimination.

So, if any church, anywhere in the United States of America, wanted to marry two men, two women (or two men and a woman, two woman and a man, two men and two women, etc), then any action by Congress against this would be an establishment of one group of religious people over another--which is essentially an establishment of religion, right?

My understanding of it is that the issue is with the legality of civil marriage vs. civil union.  Every religious institution will have the right to refuse to marry someone, but at this point, homosexual couples can only get civil unions but not civil marriages.

ShaunPhilly wrote:
So, all it would take is for a Unitarian Church (for example; it could be any religious group) to announce that they would start marrying any couple who wanted to marry, and if the government tried to say that they could not, then the church could sue for discrimmination of their religious beliefs.

If marriage is a religious rite (as many people claim), then a church which will allow gays to marry should be able to do so, because government cannot support one religious view over another without acting as an establishment of said religious belief (and thus the religion said belief is based upon). If marriage is civil, then the beliefs of some religious people should not even be legitimately considered as relevant in terms of what rights couples have. Thus, New jersey recently made civil unions legal, which is good. Thus, in New Jersey if a church, syagogue, temple, etc wanted to marry two men, then how can the state prevent this?

What I don't understand is how, legally, the state (especially New Jersey, at the moment) or the Federal government can disallow gay marriage at all.

Shaun

There are certain benefits that go along with being married and it's considered to be a pretty solid contract, if you will.  With civil unions, those couples are afforded state rights but not federal.  Also, civil unions aren't recognized by every single state, so if a couple were to move to a state that doesn't allow or recognize civil unions, their contract hold no weight.  If I'm wrong about any of this information, please correct me, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

In my opinion, civil unions is a half step above 'living together'.  I mean, I live with my boyfriend and my company would allow him to go on my health insurance and everything, but we're not married.  If he were to even become seriously ill and could not speak, I would not be allowed to see him in the hospital unless I received permission from him or his family members.  Likewise, if a couple has a civil union but moves to a different state, their status would essentially be unmarried.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
By the way, i've said this

By the way, i've said this before just not here. One thing I like about people like Fred Phelps is they make Atheism look so good!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's all just take over the

Let's all just take over the US and then the world. Come on, someone run for president, get most of the military on our side, and just erase religion completely. What say you?

myspace.com/miyao

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy

thingy wrote:

Not in Australia, or at least not according to our prime minister. He has gone on record many a time as saying that he forced through the laws against gay marraige to keep the true meaning behind the word which is the "union of a man and a woman".

WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT!!! It has never been defined like that before, only after non-hetrosexuals started appearing openly in society. He's just twisting words and often hiding, using his religion as a shield or a mask to protect him from what would otherwise be seen as the most blatant acts of homophobia and descrimination. It makes my blood boil the way fundies do this and get away with it in an improved position from where they started.

I did law for two years at school , the law actaul does state a condtion of marrige is the unioun between a man and a woman.

Dabura13

i did a persasive oral on same sex marrgie, since your an activist i would really like to hear your opinion on it http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=73591395

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Which country are you

Which country are you talking about as far as the definition?  I know in America and Canada marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman.  What I can't find is if it always was that definition or if the definition was narrowed due to the gay marriage debate.  I'm assuming that marriage has always been defined that way, since homosexuality has always been frowned upon.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Which

pariahjane wrote:

Which country are you talking about as far as the definition? I know in America and Canada marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman. What I can't find is if it always was that definition or if the definition was narrowed due to the gay marriage debate. I'm assuming that marriage has always been defined that way, since homosexuality has always been frowned upon.

sorry i should of been more clear , i was talking about Australias laws.

It hasnt been narrowed down , it always been stated that the condtions of marrige inclued that it is a unioun between a man and a woman.

ther problem with Australias laws are that same sex marrige isnt really illegal by defination, thier is no law that forbids it, thier are just no laws that validate it, so even if a couple were to find someone to marry them , thier marrige is non existant and is not recognised.

If it were to be illegal , activists would be able to claim the whole were being discriminated against. 

sinistersteveo666666
sinistersteveo666666's picture
User is offlineOffline
theres kinda nothing wrong

theres kinda nothing wrong with religion its just the people who will kill themselves over their beliefs their called extremeist

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
sinistersteveo666666

sinistersteveo666666 wrote:
theres kinda nothing wrong with religion its just the people who will kill themselves over their beliefs their called extremeist

I take it you can't turn the other cheek 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
sinistersteveo666666

And the point of this statement in regards to this thread is........

also um whats wrong with religion possibly

prohibits same sex marrige, stem cell research, in the USA in some palces people cant hold political position if they are atheist, Disremination due to text written in religous scripture

i co uld go on for awhile but i dont think i will.

P.s i know i have speltwords wrong , and probly hvent used grammer but well  i am hopless when it comes to that stuff so eh

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a little hazy on

I'm a little hazy on exactly what the american laws are for gay marriage, but I know you can't get 'married' in a traditional sense.  There are certain protections and rights that a civil union would provide a couple, but civil unions aren't recognized in every state.  Again, I could be wrong and freely admit so, I haven't really looked into it in some time.  From a legal standpoint, homosexual couples can't receive certain things if their partner passes away like a federal pension, for example.  I know companies are now offering benefits to both unmarried hetero and homosexual couples, but I don't believe many are doing that. 

In my opinion, I believe that there is absolutely no reason why a gay couple should not be afforded the same status or rights as a heterosexual couple.  The only reason it is an issue is because of religious stigmas and I find that a violation of the separation of church and state as well as a violation of human rights.  I know we're not supposed to post from the heart on these forums but I just did, so there!  I suck at debating anyway.  I am trying to get better. 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I'm a

pariahjane wrote:

I'm a little hazy on exactly what the american laws are for gay marriage, but I know you can't get 'married' in a traditional sense. There are certain protections and rights that a civil union would provide a couple, but civil unions aren't recognized in every state. Again, I could be wrong and freely admit so, I haven't really looked into it in some time. From a legal standpoint, homosexual couples can't receive certain things if their partner passes away like a federal pension, for example. I know companies are now offering benefits to both unmarried hetero and homosexual couples, but I don't believe many are doing that.

In my opinion, I believe that there is absolutely no reason why a gay couple should not be afforded the same status or rights as a heterosexual couple. The only reason it is an issue is because of religious stigmas and I find that a violation of the separation of church and state as well as a violation of human rights. I know we're not supposed to post from the heart on these forums but I just did, so there! I suck at debating anyway. I am trying to get better.

on your first paragrapgh that sounds about right i ahvent studied american law beingin aussie and stuff but our laws are pretty much based on everyone elses lol *were cool like that* witht eh comapny thing giving benfits some are doing that over here aswell but thier are next to none that do.

and your second paragraph your absloutly right  , thier is no real reason why same sex marrige couples cant minus that of a religious view point. also why cant people put their heart into a debate when i did debates at school i fouind if it was subject i had a strong feeling about i would put my heart into it and speak really firmly adn strong whihc got our team extra points yay Sticking out tongue

sinistersteveo666666
User is offlineOffline
no i kinda cant religion

no i kinda cant religion uses fear 2 force me 2 belive

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sinistersteveo666666

Um, ok.  Not sure that belongs in this thread.  

sinistersteveo666666
User is offlineOffline
i aplogize for saying that

i aplogize for saying that

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
sinistersteveo666666

I thought they banned you! Ugh. 

myspace.com/miyao

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dabura13 wrote: It's so

Dabura13 wrote:

It's so annoying. I got into the whole activism thing when I realized I was bi. It makes me so mad.

The three thing I stand up for strongly:

Gay rights.

Animal rights.

And freedom FROM religion.

Honestly, I think atheists are way better people than Christians.

As a bird of a feather I have to tell you I find that in the GLBT community the entire problem is that they are always REACTING instead of being PROACTIVE. What the hell are we going to accomplish doing nothing but defending ourselves all the damned time? I keep saying that we just need to address the issue of religion being a safety nest for protecting hate speech. If you don't have a religion and say it you're evil but if you do you're a beloved follower. Until that issue is addressed, we're going to see it occurring for the rest of our natural lives!

I think one of the biggest things that people fail to realize is where "marriage licenses" in America came from. They don't exist b/c of Christians, they exist because the government wanted to keep blacks and whites from marrying and Christians had a royal fit about it. They didn't want marriage to become a state institution. Now I find it is ironic that they think they OWN it when it's something they didn't and shouldn't want to have anything to DO with. (After all, they're marrying both the STATE and their PARTNER so essentially, it's *gasp* adultery!) The fact of the matter is that marriage licenses don't belong to Christians. Period.

Here in Indiana they have been trying some outlandish laws. Procreation laws (only straight, married and religious people can use sperm donors and doctors and patients who use it illegally could have their child taken and both the dr. and patient imprissoned), adoption laws (gays are equated to murderers), employment laws...you name it. But you've got the same people saying "the government should just stay out of people's lives!" actually voting for the very people who create these laws...and it's because it DOES NOT AFFECT THEM! People could really care less if it doesn't affect them.

And you're right, I've never found a more open minded and completely comfortable and honest group of people than I have in other  atheists. I'm more comfortable around these people than other gay people!!! (Of course, many gay people are not very apt to leaving behind their religion, either)

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
FundamentallyFlawed

Last year I went to a party to help raise funds to campaign against Rick Santorum. There were several gay activists there, and they actually liked what Phelps does.

It actually makes a lot of sense... a lot of moderate christians who are unsure about their views on homosexuality see what Phelps is doing and ask themselves if that's who they want to be. The answer is almost always "NO!!!!!!!"

Phelps has elevated himself to a cartoonish level. The only people who take him seriously anymore are his own family.

The people you should be worried about are groups like the American Family Association. They hide their bigotry behind the cloak of "family values". Far more people take them seriously.

http://www.afa.net/

I like to tell my liberal Xtian friends that Phelps is more of an Xtian than they are. Sort of puts things into perspective. After all, Jesus did tell everyone follow the OT, too. Sticking out tongue He does more for helping people see what we deal with than being against it. It does irritate me, however, that we barely heard a peep from the media when they were picketing gay funerals.  

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote:  

Lynette1977 wrote:

I'm more comfortable around these people than other gay people!!! (Of course, many gay people are not very apt to leaving behind their religion, either)

i am the same aswell, the only other few gay friends *theirs not many of us gays where i am*  are very firm in their belief in christantiy but this always baffels/angers me , i cant understand how tehy can be pro a relgion that clearly states gay people shuold be killed , and also be pro a religion that is stopping us being allowed to marry

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:

Um, ok. Not sure that belongs in this thread.

Yeah, I've banned him earlier for trolling and he made another account. He can't come back until he writes to us and convinces us that he will behave. 

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, it clearly states over

Yeah, it clearly states over and over throughout the bible that being gay is an abomination. Why would there be gay Christians then? I think they just deny those verses and instead say "God didn't mean that, as long as we believe..." It gets on my nerves. -_-; I'm bi and an atheist, hallelujah.

myspace.com/miyao

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: Lynette1977

Malice wrote:
Lynette1977 wrote:

I'm more comfortable around these people than other gay people!!! (Of course, many gay people are not very apt to leaving behind their religion, either)

i am the same aswell, the only other few gay friends *theirs not many of us gays where i am* are very firm in their belief in christantiy but this always baffels/angers me , i cant understand how tehy can be pro a relgion that clearly states gay people shuold be killed , and also be pro a religion that is stopping us being allowed to marry

I think Greydon Square pointed that out once. Why would black people want to support a religion that was used to supress them. Same for gays...why support a religion that is used to supress them? Self-hatred, I think.  

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
i have asked them why  and

i have asked them why  and their answers are along the lines of

if we pray for forgiveness it dosnt matter if were gay.

The first time i heard thems ay that i thought i was going to strangle them. pray for forgiveness???? for waht being the way your born yeah hmm thats the fucking ticket isnt it guys,

i dont talk to them much bewcuase of those beliefs which suck cause theirs not many gays in the area , i ahve a feeling thier only really doing the whole religion thing so that they can sligthly fit more in to society

i would rather be hung then follow a religion that claims i need to pray for forgivness for being born gay .  

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Same here. Pray for

Same here. Pray for forgiveness? Wtf is this shit? Some people... 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: i have asked

Malice wrote:

i have asked them why and their answers are along the lines of

The first time i heard thems ay that i thought i was going to strangle them. pray for forgiveness???? for waht being the way your born yeah hmm thats the fucking ticket isnt it guys,

i dont talk to them much bewcuase of those beliefs which suck cause theirs not many gays in the area , i ahve a feeling thier only really doing the whole religion thing so that they can sligthly fit more in to society

i would rather be hung then follow a religion that claims i need to pray for forgivness for being born gay .

The next time you hear someone say that...ask them about intersexed people. (Not transgender) They're neither straight nor gay, male nor female by they're standards...so what are they and where to do they fit in? Most get completely stumped. They can't answer it.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote:  It

Lynette1977 wrote:

It does irritate me, however, that we barely heard a peep from the media when they were picketing gay funerals.

Media attention is the only reason Phelps and his brood do so many of those idiotic things.  Phelps makes his living by suing people (he's a disbarred lawyer, by the way) for anything he can think of. 

The people of Topeka, KS avoid him as much as they can.  When he's in town, he still pickets downtown every day and, get this!, he has to be provided police protection due to death threats.  Needless to say, the officers are not amused because Phelps does everything he can to get them to do something the tinest bit out of line so he can sue.

For awhile, Phelps was all over the news when he and his clan picketed the funerals of individuals that had passed away from AIDS. 

He started picketing the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq when the media got bored with his antics at the funerals of gays.  He had become a laughingstock so he had to come up with something to get people riled up and gain the media's attention again.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: Malice

Lynette1977 wrote:
Malice wrote:

i have asked them why and their answers are along the lines of

The next time you hear someone say that...ask them about intersexed people. (Not transgender) They're neither straight nor gay, male nor female by they're standards...so what are they and where to do they fit in? Most get completely stumped. They can't answer it.

good idea, hopefully that wil finally get a message through to them but i have a feeling it will go something like this

Malice: what about intersexed people who doesthat all fit in
friends:...........
*5 mins later*
friends: Satan
Malice:*smacks head on wall*

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: As a

Lynette1977 wrote:

As a bird of a feather I have to tell you I find that in the GLBT community the entire problem is that they are always REACTING instead of being PROACTIVE. What the hell are we going to accomplish doing nothing but defending ourselves all the damned time? I keep saying that we just need to address the issue of religion being a safety nest for protecting hate speech. If you don't have a religion and say it you're evil but if you do you're a beloved follower. Until that issue is addressed, we're going to see it occurring for the rest of our natural lives!

I think one of the biggest things that people fail to realize is where "marriage licenses" in America came from. They don't exist b/c of Christians, they exist because the government wanted to keep blacks and whites from marrying and Christians had a royal fit about it. They didn't want marriage to become a state institution. Now I find it is ironic that they think they OWN it when it's something they didn't and shouldn't want to have anything to DO with. (After all, they're marrying both the STATE and their PARTNER so essentially, it's *gasp* adultery!) The fact of the matter is that marriage licenses don't belong to Christians. Period.

Here in Indiana they have been trying some outlandish laws. Procreation laws (only straight, married and religious people can use sperm donors and doctors and patients who use it illegally could have their child taken and both the dr. and patient imprissoned), adoption laws (gays are equated to murderers), employment laws...you name it. But you've got the same people saying "the government should just stay out of people's lives!" actually voting for the very people who create these laws...and it's because it DOES NOT AFFECT THEM! People could really care less if it doesn't affect them.

And you're right, I've never found a more open minded and completely comfortable and honest group of people than I have in other  atheists. I'm more comfortable around these people than other gay people!!! (Of course, many gay people are not very apt to leaving behind their religion, either)

I had no idea that the marriage licenses were started because of inter-racial marriages!  That's very interesting.  I'm also not familiar with the laws regarding procreation.  New Jersey is somewhat 'liberal' when it comes to homosexual rights.  I'll have to see what their laws are. 

It's my understanding that the issue of homosexual marriage is really an issue of legality in the eyes of the state and country but not necessarily religion (even though it is the religious people who have been so vocal).  Am I wrong in that assumption? 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice: what about

Malice: what about intersexed people who doesthat all fit in
friends:...........
*5 mins later*
friends: Satan
Malice:*smacks head on wall*

You have to explain to them what being intersexed means...otherwise they have no idea. Satan? Who CREATED Satan? If nothing exists without God, who created Satan? Hmf. Eye-wink 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had no idea that the

I had no idea that the marriage licenses were started because of inter-racial marriages! That's very interesting. I'm also not familiar with the laws regarding procreation. New Jersey is somewhat 'liberal' when it comes to homosexual rights. I'll have to see what their laws are.

It's my understanding that the issue of homosexual marriage is really an issue of legality in the eyes of the state and country but not necessarily religion (even though it is the religious people who have been so vocal). Am I wrong in that assumption?

It is a pure and simple legality issue just the same as interacial marriage for which they were initially created for. Look up Uniform Marriage and Marriage License Act. It's not at all a religious institution. Hell, the Catholic Church from the 8th to the 18th century used to perform gay marriages all of the time without question. Again, to say that marriages belong to straight Christians and always has is an outright light in the stricted sense of the word. But...people don't read so most wouldn't even know this.  

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redefinitions are fine, to

Redefinitions are fine, to an extent ... but I don't think redefining marraige is necessary.  I think we need to interrogate the notion that States (or the federal gov't) should be allowed to permit, perform and codify marraiges ... Marraige as an historically and explicitly religious institution (indeed, a sacrament in the Catholic Church) seems out of the scope of the law ... I personally feel if people belong to religious traditions that celebrate marraige, they should feel free to get married in their church ... the States should be limited to performing unions for various groups, whether they be loving pair-bonds, domestic partnerships or polyamorous groups, and if people who remain religious and belong to churchs, synagogue or mosques want to get married, they can do it in their churchs, synogogues and mosques.  We don't codify First Communions and Bar Mitzvah's don't mean Jewish kids can get into rated R movies ... its only within their religious community do these rites matter ...

I think the only intellectually honest position for atheists, agnostics, non religious, etc. is to resist marraige, and support universal civil unions instead.  Marraige shouldn't be outlawed - just relagated to the couples church, etc ...

(This hits the issue of religious homosexuals too ... it was asked, above, why would anyone want to be a part of a religion that oppresses and explicitly descriminates against their involuntary association ... why would anyone want to a part of an institution, namely marraige, that is defined so narrowly and is historically descriminating? ...)

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: I think

Lynette1977 wrote:
I think one of the biggest things that people fail to realize is where "marriage licenses" in America came from. They don't exist b/c of Christians, they exist because the government wanted to keep blacks and whites from marrying and Christians had a royal fit about it. They didn't want marriage to become a state institution... The fact of the matter is that marriage licenses don't belong to Christians. Period.

pariahjane wrote:
It's my understanding that the issue of homosexual marriage is really an issue of legality in the eyes of the state and country but not necessarily religion (even though it is the religious people who have been so vocal). Am I wrong in that assumption?

No, this is true.  But, imo, government-owned marriage (or union... no matter what you call it) is no better than religion-owned marriage. 

Lynette1977 wrote:
It is a pure and simple legality issue just the same as interacial marriage for which they were initially created for. Look up Uniform Marriage and Marriage License Act. It's not at all a religious institution. Hell, the Catholic Church from the 8th to the 18th century used to perform gay marriages all of the time without question. Again, to say that marriages belong to straight Christians and always has is an outright light in the stricted sense of the word. But...people don't read so most wouldn't even know this.

My solution:  Repeal UMMLA and any other related definitions of "marriage."  Abolish marriage licenses, thereby removing the requirement of government permission to draw a private contract.  Allow for non-religious, non-government marriage institutions.   Result:  gay marriage conflict disappears.

It's the government involvement in this that is exactly the problem.  Get the government the hell out of our personal affairs... no more problem.  The churches are free to refuse who they want, but other avenues are available that are not discriminatory.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't marriage pre-date

Doesn't marriage pre-date Christianity?  I was under the impression that marriage was more about ownership and property than anything else, at least in the beginning.  You owned your wife and you owned your children and it was your children who would then inherit your property and belongings.  That's why illegitimate children could not inherit any property.  It's really a dated concept.  However, besides the legality of marriage, it also represents a bond.  It is a proclamation of love.  While I agree that there should not be state control over marriage, I'm hesitant to kibosh the whole concept. 

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Doesn't

pariahjane wrote:
Doesn't marriage pre-date Christianity? I was under the impression that marriage was more about ownership and property than anything else, at least in the beginning. You owned your wife and you owned your children and it was your children who would then inherit your property and belongings. That's why illegitimate children could not inherit any property. It's really a dated concept.

Yes, that's right. Marriage pre-dates Christianity, but marriage licenses do not. A marriage and the license required by government (or other institution) are two different things. The former is the contract (or bond, or what have you); the latter is government permission to make the contract. Two consenting adults should not need permission from a third party to make a mutual personal agreement or expression.

The marriage license didn't exist until the middle-ages. Prior to the invention of marriage licenses, marriage was a contract between two men, trading daughter for goods and/or future services, yes. We have different ideas of what a marriage is now, and no longer regard females as property, thankfully... but it is still a personal contract, regardless of its contents or purpose between the individuals making it. No matter the feelings or intentions of those involved... legally, it is a statement of co-ownership of possessions. (We can see this in divorce cases. As long as abuse or mistreatment is not involved, it is not a dispute over love and loss of it, but a dispute over possessions and future finances.)

We can define a "marriage" however we like, but the only reason there is an issue regarding marriage at all is because when the government holds permission-granting powers over it, it effectively owns the institution, and being the owners they can define it however they like.

I'm all for marriage, it's just that as it stands the government owns it; that's my concern.