The Sabbath

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
The Sabbath

As part of the ten commandments, keeping the sabbath holy is on the same level as not committing murder or coveting.  The sabbath represents God's day of rest, and thus everyone should rest, lie down, be completely inert, never walk, but lie down and chill.  Of course, Jesus said it was okay to walk and people have listened ever since.  But if God never made the Earth, and the word "sabbath" and "holy" never had any real meaning, then why is Sunday still the holiday of rest, where businesses close down, schools have no weekend classes, and the only thing available is the heathen land of Denny's.  If religion is optional, why is this day of the week still revered with the same notions of nonworking not only to individuals but entire organizations and cities.  Things can get done on Saturday, people can have classes or weekend jobs, but the following day is mostly unproductive for the country, shortening the useable amount of time by 1/7.

ATOMIC SKUNK
ATOMIC SKUNK's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yahweh/Jesus

Yahweh/Jesus says....

"Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community."

Exodus 31:12  

But back then it was SaturdayEmbarassed

"Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children." (Jesus triad)

"So the donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your donkey" (The Donkey) Numbers Chapter 22:30

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I used to like watching the

I used to like watching the Orthodox Jews on L.A.'s west side run home Friday evening to turn on their lights.

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
the funny thing is sunday is

the funny thing is sunday is the day of church, where all the priests and pastors work all morning.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
ATOMIC SKUNK wrote:

ATOMIC SKUNK wrote:

Yahweh/Jesus says....

"Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community."

Then Jesus goes out and picks corn on the Sabbath! The nerve of the guy! Stealing and violating the Sabbath all in one shot.

-Triften

ATOMIC SKUNK
ATOMIC SKUNK's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote: ATOMIC

triften wrote:
ATOMIC SKUNK wrote:

Yahweh/Jesus says....

Then Jesus goes out and picks corn on the Sabbath! The nerve of the guy! Stealing and violating the Sabbath all in one shot.

-Triften

If you get a chance, could you post the verses. Cultivated corn story from Israel, around 2000 years ago eh?

"Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children." (Jesus triad)

"So the donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your donkey" (The Donkey) Numbers Chapter 22:30

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in a town that has a

I live in a town that has a very large percentage of orthodox jews, whose sabbath is actually Saturday instead of Sunday (for those who didn't know).  It actually works out kind of nicely because, while all the  business owned by jewish folk are closed on Saturday, all the non-orthodox owned busiensses are open and pretty much everything is open on Sunday, since that's when the orthodox do their shopping, I guess.  Works for me. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
ATOMIC SKUNK

ATOMIC SKUNK wrote:
triften wrote:
ATOMIC SKUNK wrote:

Yahweh/Jesus says....

-Triften

If you get a chance, could you post the verses. Cultivated corn story from Israel, around 2000 years ago eh?

Hmmm, good point.

Matthew 12:1-2 of the Skeptics Annotated Bible. Looks like the online KJVs have corn too.

-Triften

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Corn is an old English word

Corn is an old English word that means a little, hard thing.

I think you guys are thinking of maize.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: 12:1  At that time

Quote:
12:1  At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.

I suppose they could be referring to something else, but it even says "ears".

-Triften 

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
now that I don't know. I've

now that I don't know. I've never heard of "ear" used with any grain other than maize.

--EDIT--
Definition of Ear:

An ear is the top part of a grain plant, such as wheat. The ear contains the seeds.

I guess it could mean just about any kind of grain...

learn something new everyday...

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
ATOMIC SKUNK wrote:

ATOMIC SKUNK wrote:

Yahweh/Jesus says....

The great thing is it still is Saturday. Sunday isn't the sabbath, it's the lord's day; Saturday is still the sabbath in christianity, but almost no christians remember that.

Almost no christians remember that. 

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yiab wrote: ATOMIC SKUNK

Yiab wrote:
ATOMIC SKUNK wrote:

Yahweh/Jesus says....

The great thing is it still is Saturday. Sunday isn't the sabbath, it's the lord's day; Saturday is still the sabbath in christianity, but almost no christians remember that.

Almost no christians remember that.

Last summer I worked with this guy who was absent for some work function we had to attend on a Sunday.  On Monday people were asking where he was, and he said he couldn't come in because he's a "Sabbatarian."  I looked at him and responded taht the sabbath was Saturday, and he looked at me very confused.

The kicker was tah the function was originally set for Saturday but was rained out.  He was planning on attending when it was Saturday.

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.