Importance of finding an atheist signifigant other?

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Importance of finding an atheist signifigant other?

Well... being an atheist, I would like to have a girlfriend that is atheist as well.  I think we would be able to see more eye to eye that way, instead of argueing.  My beliefs (or lack of) are very important to me, and I would want to find someone that will accept that.  Has anyone here had a signifigant other who was a theist?  How did that turn out?

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I personally have a SO who

I personally have a SO who is also an atheist, and i don't quite know how i'd live with a theist. I mean the absolute dislisonal things that they believe I would probably push all the time with things like " are you surious?" "You think a man rose from the dead?" "Turned water into wine?" "really". Just over and over until she saw how ludicrious it is, because it is ludicrious. I'd probably get kicked out for laughing at her beliefs because they are funny. Just my take i know i seem like i'd be an ass to a theistic girlfriend but i don't know how else i'd act.

ShadowOfMan
atheist
ShadowOfMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I don't really know

Yeah, I don't really know how I'd be in a relationship with a theist.  Every girlfriend I've ever had was either atheist or didn't care about that kind of thing at all. 

A daughter of hope and fear, religion explains to Ignorance the nature of the unknowable. -Ambrose Bierce

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've had four major

I've had four major significant relationships in my 25 years (including the one I'm currently in).  Let's give you the breakdown and maybe you can see what dating theists/agnostics/atheists and everything in between nets.

The first real 'adult' (sex and everything!  oh boy!) relationship I had was with a girl named Allison, who I met at a fraternity party and assumed from her ability to chug beer, get naked in front of tons of strangers and make out with other girls would be an atheist, or at least an agnostic.

Man, how wrong can a person be when he doesn't expect them to be a hypocrite.  She was a Catholic, who attended church on campus at the Newman Center and everything.  I'm fairly sure that Catholicism isn't happy with premarital sex with multiple partners of both genders, but that's neither here nor there.  I stuck around because a) I was getting some and B) I thought that she might change her beliefs, considering how she was only paying lip service to Catholicism in the first place.

I can state unequivocally - a lip service Christian will NEVER change their beliefs when called on it; they will either disregard your statements or hightail it to church.

That relationship crashed and burned - and I ended up dating another girl named Patricia, who was a Baptist.  Not only did she not put out, but her parents thought that it was only proper to try to convert me to their faith.  A few months of the insanity later, I left the relationship.

Enter Amanda.  I met her online - and she proudly stated her atheism.  Excellent!  We dated for almost 2 1/2 years, but there were problems.  Her parents, for example, were lapsed Jehovah's Witnesses.  I celebrated my 21st birthday in their home, and was castigated for having a beer on my birthday.  The relationship failed because of distance, and lying on both of our ends.  While I wouldn't call it a 'healthy' relationship, we stuck together because we shared a lack of belief.

Now I'm with Kristen, and it's been about 2 1/2 years.  She's an agnostic who doesn't think about matters of faith, but states that people who worry about Gods don't seem completely healthy to her.  When I'm ranting about Christies, she calms me down.  When I make jokes about Islamic suicide bombers, she's there to tell me that I'm really not funny.

What's the lesson in all of this?  Your beliefs (or lack of beliefs) are very important to keeping a relationship going.  It also helps to have tons of patience.  So, armchair Christians or agnostics, depending on their level of faith, can be a decent match - as well as atheists.

Part of me wants to find a little Christian sheep, deflower her, and then tell her she's Hellbound and kick her out of my car - but I think that's because I'm an asshole.

.....from the mind of Family Guy....

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I'm with you lucid although

I'm with you lucid although I know that there are a few here which have theists significant others. I'd think it might be more trouble for the theist in the relationship for most. Of the ones I know of they are pretty active so it would either have to be a secret or something no one talks about.

The problem I see with trying to have an atheist girlfriend is finding one...

I think there might be three or so atheist women in my state, but you'll probably have better luck else where Sticking out tongue

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's difficult. I make it

It's difficult. I make it work. I will never do it again though if this doesn't work out.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
My fiancee called herself a

My fiancee called herself a Catholic before she dated me, but only because she was raised in such a manner. She admits that she questioned the basic tenents of the Christian faith, and since we've been dating, she now refers to herself as an Atheist. I have never dated a theist, the closest I have come is dating someone who "doesn't give a damn." Don't really recommend that, however.

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
The problems I've had with

The problems I've had with girls that were atheists (or whom I guessed were atheists by their speech and manner), have very radical appearances.  Those include unnatural hair color (usually blood red) and many piercings.  That's kind of weird to me.  But thanks for the imput, and I'll keep looking!

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm dating someone who was

I'm dating someone who was raised Catholic and it's not really an issue.  His family is pretty into their catholicism, especially some aunts and uncles and I have to kind of keep quiet around them, for the sake of not creating major issues.  He pretty much thinks the whole Jesus thing is ridiculous (he is a scientist, after all) but he doesn't worry too much about it.  It concerns him that I'm a bit active in my atheism because he's afraid I'll get hurt by some crazy christian, but that's really the only issue.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's the kind of girls I

lucidfox13 wrote:
The problems I've had with girls that were atheists (or whom I guessed were atheists by their speech and manner), have very radical appearances. Those include unnatural hair color (usually blood red) and many piercings. That's kind of weird to me. But thanks for the imput, and I'll keep looking!

That's the kind of girls I like, so I've never had any problems. The biggest problem I have with dating today, is that I'm married. Smiling

My wife reads these boards, so if I stop posting for a while, you'll know why Smiling

Have you tried looking for love on-line:

http://www.secularity.com/

http://www.atheistpassions.com/

http://www.freethinkermatch.com/

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately it sounds a

Unfortunately it sounds a bit arrogant, but if I'm honest I'd have to say that I wouldn't truly respect an SO if she weren't an atheist.  Or at least an agnostic. 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
My fiance is what we both

My fiance is what we both call a "functional atheist".  She doesn't really care that much about the subject, but lives her day to day life as if she were an atheist.

Her extended family is very religious so to keep the peace with them she doesn't really say anything to them and has pleaded with me to not come out of the closet with them.

She is a very smart person and if she ever had the time (two jobs and school) to do the research I'm 99% sure she would share just about every stance that I have on the subject.

The only disagreements we have on the subject of religion is things like attending christenings of family members, or getting our own kids baptised in the future.  She wants to do these things just to make everyone else happy where I don't want to look like I'm in any way promoting such actions.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
On paper, I just want

On paper, I just want someone who will respect my atheism, and if she holds any theist beliefs, I just don't want to have to deal with them.

In reality, that's never worked, and I don't think it will, but in the same way that there's a small chance someone will actually prove the existence of a deity one day, there may be a theist woman who I could be in a relationship with.

I could never date any kind of Christian.  I dated a buddhist briefly, and that was actually ok.  We broke up for completely non-religious issues. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Have you tried

atheistpassions.com: search for female 24-36

Your search produced no results, please try to broaden your search.

secularity.com  search for female 24-36

1 result, Asheville NC (250 miles away from me.) Last login: 11 months ago.

Freethinkermatch.com: search for female 24-36

3 results between 65-150 miles away

This is what it's like trying to find a date in the deep south.

I really need to move.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
This subject has weighed

This subject has weighed heavily on my mind as of late.  I'm about to be single for the first time in six years.  I'm wondering how much of an impact my atheism is going to have when I meet someone.

"Hi! I'm Brian... I don't believe in god.  Care to go out sometime?"

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
With me it's more like,

With me it's more like, chat-chat-chat-chat-smile-number-everything's going well...

Her: Oh, and the minister at my church blah blah blah blah...

Me: "sigh.  Ok.  I'll call you sometime.  See you."

Toss number in trash as I leave.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are things I hold dear

There are things I hold dear that would make me incompatible with certain females. Atheism is the top of the list. I wouldn't even bother trying to date a theist, let alone marry one.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah. You guys go ahead and

Yeah. You guys go ahead and work on it. Try being my age, female, single and an Atheist.

They all want you to go to church with them, help raise their grandchildren (I guess because they raised such crummy kids that they can't do it themselves) and either watch the "big game" or sit in a bass boat for hours on end.

Where the hell are the Atheist men my age, sans kids/grandkids that want to go to the theater and stretch their minds?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote: Well...

lucidfox13 wrote:
Well... being an atheist, I would like to have a girlfriend that is atheist as well. I think we would be able to see more eye to eye that way, instead of argueing. My beliefs (or lack of) are very important to me, and I would want to find someone that will accept that. Has anyone here had a signifigant other who was a theist? How did that turn out?

I'll go one better; I married a theist... a liberal Catholic.  Been there, done that, not doin' it again.

Non-religious is high priority at this point.  Futile arguments about incoherent topics are not within my scope of interests regarding people I'd consider cohabiting with in the future.

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm

I haven't thought about it much. Last relationship involved a fellow who borrowed $30,000 and couldn't afford to pay it back. After that, I wasn't too much in the mood to date, ya know? But know that it's a few years later, I do find myself thinking about it. That same guy who still owes me tons of money (he is finally paying me something monthly) was Catholic. He didn't really go to church, so I tended to forget. Then something would come up and I'd be shocked each time to hear what he was hung up on.

Susan, I empathize with you. Add to your list the fact that I'm living fulltime in my RV (for the last two and a half years), don't want to settle down in one place, and have five dogs. And you see why the odds are pretty low for me to find my perfect mate. LOL

It would be very difficult for me to date a theist again. I've had two major relationships. Marriage that lasted 11 years. He was on his way to becoming a non-believer, but had weird hang ups still. Like he'd go through the motions despite his unbelief, which I thought was a strange and insidious form of lying. He's now buddist and was fortunate to find a buddhist woman who he married and they're living happily ever after.

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Yeah. You

Susan wrote:
Yeah. You guys go ahead and work on it. Try being my age, female, single and an Atheist.

I predict trying, for myself, all of those but one in the future.

Susan wrote:
They all want you to go to church with them...

I'd have to surmise that the women would as well...

Susan wrote:
...help raise their grandchildren (I guess because they raised such crummy kids that they can't do it themselves) ...

I hear ya. I ain't raisin' no babies.

Susan wrote:
...and either watch the "big game"...

Ugh... sports... *rolls eyes*

Susan wrote:
...or sit in a bass boat for hours on end.

Deal-breaker! No bass boat?!*

Susan wrote:
Where the hell are the Atheist men my age, sans kids/grandkids that want to go to the theater and stretch their minds?

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

The theater part and the mind-stretching part is all well and good... but... no bass boat?!**

* Fisherman's bias

** Argumentum ad ibid

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love bass boats! Bass

I love bass boats! Bass boats are cool! But while the bass boat owner is fishing, I wanna be scuba diving off it!!!!!!!

Karen and her hounds

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
I couldn't imagine being in

I couldn't imagine being in a relationship with someone of faith.  It wouldn't work out, simply because in that person's mind I'm going to hell because I don't believe.  That can never be a healthy relationship, and it's a waste to try and make one from it.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
not all theists believe in

not all theists believe in Hell.  I don't really like this topic...it reminds me of Christians, or Muslims, or Jews saying I can only marry people of my own faith.  I would like to see Atheists more open to relationships of all kinds, even if it involves a believer in God.  I however wouldn't expect to see an Atheist marrying a born-again Christian nut..but I don't like the idea of just rejecting the idea of being involved with a believer..its not as if they all are "evil."

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
it's possible

22jesus22, I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it to a point. I don't think there's any way that I could be compatable with a conservative, patriarchal, old-fashioned Christian. There just would be too many things in the way. I'm a strong, intelligent, independent woman, and I'd need a partner who respected that. But someone who believed that personal beliefs are just that: personal, and who respected my beliefs, that would be fine. In fact my latest ex (the Catholic who owes me money) was mostly compatable. Our breakup had nothing to do with religion, and of the things I needed to get out of my life, his religious beliefs were not the deal breakers. Think of religion as a cultural difference, and then it becomes clearer. The bigger the cultural differences, the more work the relationship might need. But a successful relationship needs to be nurtured and worked at anyway, so the religious differences need to be weighed with everything else.

I'll tell you, though, my extended family has religious views that I could never in a million years live comfortably with in my home. So diametrically opposed to my most basic beliefs that I'd be angry with them all the time. I'm not talking about dishonoring their beliefs. I'm talking about their actions being, in my opinion, just flat-out wrong and dangerous. Think Wichita abortion clinic protests and you'll have an inkling what I'm talking about.

Karen and her hounds

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote: not all

22jesus22 wrote:
not all theists believe in Hell.  I don't really like this topic...it reminds me of Christians, or Muslims, or Jews saying I can only marry people of my own faith.  I would like to see Atheists more open to relationships of all kinds, even if it involves a believer in God.  I however wouldn't expect to see an Atheist marrying a born-again Christian nut..but I don't like the idea of just rejecting the idea of being involved with a believer..its not as if they all are "evil."

You miss the point. I have no problem having relationships with theists. Most of the people I've known in life were theists. But I'm pragmatic. I can see how things would end up, and that it's not worth hurting myself or another in a bid that will fail. For example, a theist will want children to be raised theists. Whereas I will not stand for that. There's too many inconsistancies between a theist and myself for any relationship of that level to go anywhere but south.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FundamentallyFlawed
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Where the hell

Susan wrote:

Europe

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well! I must be one of the

Well!

I must be one of the very very few people here currently married to a Catholic.

How does it work? She never talks to me about religion, though she does mention going to church and liking the singing.  I try not to point out ludicrous things about the faith.

I did tend to get in a more 'militant atheist' mindset for a while there when I was drunk, but have kept this in check much more lately.

I do hope to one day come up with a watertight arguement for atheism that she could accept... but if I could do that then I'd probably be the first person in the world, eh?

It's a fantastic relationship though, somehow we really go well together despite this and I hope our beliefs won't ever drive any kind of wedge between us.

Before we married she agreed to not push religion on our kids (when we have them) i.e no requirement to go to church, she doesn't say grace anyway etc until they are old enough to have a chance of making up their own minds about it, based on whatever evidence they can gather (tee hee!).  I agreed to allow them to be baptised, as I don't really see that much harm in it, I don't think the experience will influence them one way or the other in religion.

If anybody has any questions... feel free!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Phooney - that's odd. 

Phooney - that's odd.  Every catholic I've ever know that married a non-catholic had to insist, as a rule of the church, that any children would be raised catholic.

I seem to remember, too, (and I could be wrong here)  that when a non-catholic marries a catholic, he/she must meet with the priest and make several concessions, children being one of them. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
FundamentallyFlawed

FundamentallyFlawed wrote:

Susan wrote:

Europe

I'll bet they still have that kids/grandkids thing going on, though.  *sigh* 

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Phooney -

Susan wrote:

Phooney - that's odd.  Every catholic I've ever know that married a non-catholic had to insist, as a rule of the church, that any children would be raised catholic.

I seem to remember, too, (and I could be wrong here)  that when a non-catholic marries a catholic, he/she must meet with the priest and make several concessions, children being one of them. 

I know a lot of people who marry, say things at the ceremony, and don't mean a word of it. I'm not saying Phooney and his wife were like this, but it's a weird phenomenon to me. Things like the wife "obeying" the husband, or the promise to have many children, seem to get said, but the bride and groom admit that they don't mean it. I dont understand the phenomenon.

Karen and her hounds

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
GreyhoundMama wrote: Susan

GreyhoundMama wrote:
Susan wrote:

I know a lot of people who marry, say things at the ceremony, and don't mean a word of it. I'm not saying Phooney and his wife were like this, but it's a weird phenomenon to me. Things like the wife "obeying" the husband, or the promise to have many children, seem to get said, but the bride and groom admit that they don't mean it. I dont understand the phenomenon.

Good point.  I suspect that intentionally lying in church - at the alter, no less - is some kind of sin.
Speaking of which, marriage vows usually include "till death do us part."  How is it, then, that so many xians divorce?

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Yeah. You guys

Susan wrote:
Yeah. You guys go ahead and work on it. Try being my age, female, single and an Atheist. They all want you to go to church with them, help raise their grandchildren (I guess because they raised such crummy kids that they can't do it themselves) and either watch the "big game" or sit in a bass boat for hours on end. Where the hell are the Atheist men my age, sans kids/grandkids that want to go to the theater and stretch their minds?

Wha? I have always been under the impression that atheist women were in extremely high demand. Have you tried the "atheist meetup" thing? And what's this business about "my age" and "grandchildren"? How old are you?

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I forget that people are

I forget that people are scattered all over the place on this site and that many of you come from areas where religion really is very 'in your face'.  Come to New Jersey, there are lots of atheists here!

What about dating/marrying someone who isn't religious, but who's family is very religious?  How would you deal with that?  My boyfriend is non-practicing/agnostic but his family is crazy catholic (not all of them, but a lot). 

And Daveyboy - It's very rude to as a lady her age. Tongue out

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Yeah. You guys

Susan wrote:
Yeah. You guys go ahead and work on it. Try being my age, female, single and an Atheist. They all want you to go to church with them, help raise their grandchildren (I guess because they raised such crummy kids that they can't do it themselves) and either watch the "big game" or sit in a bass boat for hours on end. Where the hell are the Atheist men my age, sans kids/grandkids that want to go to the theater and stretch their minds?

Oh Susan!  I feel your pain!  I had a funny experience with this (inappropriate for this thread) but the bottom line is that unless I move from the bible belt my choices are limited.  I'll stay single...not sure I am meant for captivity anyway.  I tried it and it didn't work out so well.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I forget

pariahjane wrote:

I forget that people are scattered all over the place on this site and that many of you come from areas where religion really is very 'in your face'. Come to New Jersey, there are lots of atheists here!

What about dating/marrying someone who isn't religious, but who's family is very religious? How would you deal with that? My boyfriend is non-practicing/agnostic but his family is crazy catholic (not all of them, but a lot).

Most of my family are strong catholics also, and I've dated women who had christian families as well.  It's not tough for me, because if any of my family want to disown me for being an atheist, i've decided that i just dont care.  Same thing for anyone i date.  If they want me to do things to appease their family, then i wont be the guy for her. I'm not a nazi about it, i'll go to baptism parties, or christmas celebrations, or weddings in churches(for other people's weddings that is).  However, i would not get married in a church to make my so's parents happy, or have our child baptized, or attend easter services.  If anyone doesnt like it, they go to hell as far as i'm concerned.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote:  Most

Roisin Dubh wrote:

Most of my family are strong catholics also, and I've dated women who had christian families as well.  It's not tough for me, because if any of my family want to disown me for being an atheist, i've decided that i just dont care.  Same thing for anyone i date.  If they want me to do things to appease their family, then i wont be the guy for her. I'm not a nazi about it, i'll go to baptism parties, or christmas celebrations, or weddings in churches(for other people's weddings that is).  However, i would not get married in a church to make my so's parents happy, or have our child baptized, or attend easter services.  If anyone doesnt like it, they go to hell as far as i'm concerned.

I definitely agree.  I don't have issues with going to Easter dinner or anything like that, but I certainly will not recite any prayers or anything.  We've already discussed the fact that I will not be married in a religious ceremony and he's fine with that.  He's also fine with the fact that some family members might not like that, but he doesn't think they would be dickish enough to make a major issue out of it.

It would be a deal breaker to me to have someone try to force me to be married in a religious ceremony, I have to be honest.

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:    And

pariahjane wrote:

Bah! I'm a blunt kind of guy, and that will never change. It's just that the talk about "at my age" and  dating guys with grandchildren seems to imply that she's kinda old. Sorry, I mean....mature. Looking at her avatar, I would guess that she's in her mid thirties.

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
daveyboy wrote: pariahjane

daveyboy wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Bah! I'm a blunt kind of guy, and that will never change. It's just that the talk about "at my age" and dating guys with grandchildren seems to imply that she's kinda old. Sorry, I mean....mature. Looking at her avatar, I would guess that she's in her mid thirties.

Nah.  No problem.  I'm an Old Broad and proud of it.  Details here.  Age is just a number and it doesn't bother me one bit.  I will, however, accept the compliment of "mid thirties"!

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan, yes I did have to

Susan, yes I did have to meet with a priest a couple of times and agree to a few things.

For the most part the things I had to agree to weren't all that hard on me.  I had to agree to only having 1 wife for example, which was all I intended anyway.  As mentioned, I had to agree to having any children baptised which I didn't see any problem with as I view it as a pretty much harmless ceremony that will make some people happy.  One or two other things, but nothing I wasn't willing to either concede because of it being harmless (as far as I can tell) or change my mind about at a later date if I didn't like it.

One of the hardest things was trying to keep a straight face and not come off as condescending to a person I view as a career-idiot.

My wife wanted to get married in a Church, so we did, it was actually really nice as some other couple had gotten married there just previous and all their unbelievably large amount of flowers was still there and nicely arranged for us lol

One funny thing was trying to find a reading for my sister-in-law-to-be to read, apparently it's quite difficult to find something in the bible suitable in today's society.  All the suggestions seemed to be along the lines of "the greatest gift god can give a man is a silent wife" which is pretty demeaning these days!

FundamentallyFlawed
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I forget

pariahjane wrote:

I forget that people are scattered all over the place on this site and that many of you come from areas where religion really is very 'in your face'. Come to New Jersey, there are lots of atheists here!

Really?  Please send a few across the river for me! Wink

NarcolepticSun
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote: Well...

lucidfox13 wrote:
Well... being an atheist, I would like to have a girlfriend that is atheist as well. I think we would be able to see more eye to eye that way, instead of argueing. My beliefs (or lack of) are very important to me, and I would want to find someone that will accept that. Has anyone here had a signifigant other who was a theist? How did that turn out?

The two that stand out the most... I have dated one Muslim in my life... i'll never do that again. She dumped me within the first week - never went anywhere too deep - but the religion requires them to be psychotic lunatics.

I've also dated a mormon who was a total cockwhore. What can I say? religious chicks have been a bad experience to me. 

NarcolepticSun
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: There are

Vastet wrote:
There are things I hold dear that would make me incompatible with certain females. Atheism is the top of the list. I wouldn't even bother trying to date a theist, let alone marry one.

Hmm... I truely do not have an issue with dating a theist... fundamentalists get on my nerves... however... i'll date one.

I am considerably domineering and theistic chicks do quite well at taking on the role. I find that I am charasmatic in reality - and when it comes down to religious argument - I'm must more difficult to deal with than i am on here...

Bod would have not been able to stand arguing 10 minutes with me in person... I would have shattered his belief in that little of time.

I am known as a Universal Humanist (and Atheist) to most people I know... I've learned to simply ignore chicks who are obviously intent on bringing me to their god.

That... and I'm not marriage minded anyway. Short and meaningless relationships involving sex is mostly what I am into curently... 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I don't know if this

Well, I don't know if this is exactly on topic, but this seems like the closest thread to post it in.

A couple of months ago, I decided that maybe Match.com would be a good way for me to seek out non-theist women.  There just aren't many in this little po-dunk college town, after all.

So, two months, and not much luck at all.  I was reading over my profile, wondering if I'd put something really awful in it.  I read it, re-read it, and couldn't find anything that wasn't accurate.  Then, an idea hit me.  They have a function where you can find "similar portraits."  I thought, "Hey, I'll check out the competition.  If they're all successful, handsome, and look like they have reasons to be picky, I'll know I'm on the right track.  If they're all losers, I'll know my expectations are just too high."

Well, I learned something about myself, alright.  Here's what Match.com has to say about me:

Sorry, no other Portraits like [notmyrealprofilename] can be found;
[notmyrealprofilename] is one in a million! 

<<< Back to [notmyrealprofilename]'s profile

At the very least, I've learned why I always feel as if I'm not like everyone around me.  It's true, apparently.

Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh Hamby! Wouldn't you

Oh Hamby! Wouldn't you rather be one in a million instead of one of the herd?

Besides, maybe it doesn't count for much, but we all love you!

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Oh Hamby!

Susan wrote:
Oh Hamby! Wouldn't you rather be one in a million instead of one of the herd? Besides, maybe it doesn't count for much, but we all love you!

But we're not in love with you. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
FundamentallyFlawed

FundamentallyFlawed wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Really? Please send a few across the river for me! Wink

Ok, granted, I do know more atheist men than women.  Huh?  I never actually thought about that before.  I wonder why.   It's too late to even being to ponder this, but I imagine there are more men on this site than women.  Just a guess, of course.  

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Oh Hamby! Wouldn't

Quote:

Oh Hamby! Wouldn't you rather be one in a million instead of one of the herd?

Besides, maybe it doesn't count for much, but we all love you!

Aww... thank you.

I'm beginning to think I'm just going to have to go somewhere far, far away from here.  I kind of wish I'd been in this situation a few years ago when I wasn't quite so tied to this part of the country.  We'll see.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Ok, granted, I do

Quote:
Ok, granted, I do know more atheist men than women.  Huh?  I never actually thought about that before.  I wonder why.   It's too late to even being to ponder this, but I imagine there are more men on this site than women.  Just a guess, of course. 

Statistically, there have always been more theist women than men, and I don't know about NJ, but around here, a woman would rather have raging herpes than be called an atheist, even if she is one.   Since I've lived in Georgia, I've had exactly ONE woman volunteer the information that she was an atheist.  I've met more atheists, of course, but the fact that only one brought it up, even though I'm an outspoken atheist, says a lot.

Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, and to think I've never

Wow, and to think I've never felt as part of a minority in my Atheism, both while growing up and now, really makes me thankful!

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
You too? According to

You too? According to myspace census, there are 8 female atheists within 100 miles of me. I already know one of them, she was dating my roommate. There are 25 male atheists here. We outnumber only the Scientologists, of which there are only 5 who may or may not be joking.