Hits you like a punch in the face

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
Hits you like a punch in the face

Ever found something like that when reading about religion?  I mean, most of the stuff I read, I say "Yeah, this sounds reasonable, I can see how someone would be taken in by this a thousand years ago."  In-fact, some stuff sounds so reasonable that it's quite surprising.  I'm reading on google about the age of the universe according to Hindu cosmology(it's surprisingly close to the accepted actual age of the universe, only off by a few billion years, instead of off by essentially the full 13.7), and then I read this:

"Another story in connection with Brahma's four heads is that when Brahmā was creating the universe, he made a female deity known as Shatarupā (one with a hundred beautiful forms). Brahmā became immediately infatuated. Shatarupā moved in various directions to avoid the gaze of Brahmā. But wherever she went, Brahmā developed a head. Thus, Brahmā developed five heads, one on each side and one above the others. In order to control Brahmā, Shiva cut off the top head."

I was reasonably intrigued until I read that.  Seriously, wtf? 

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
This seems to me to be an

This seems to me to be an explanation--although a mythical one--of chaos and disorder in the universe. 

Shiva is the god of chaos, creativity, and the sustainer of the universe.  In many ways, there is a complex play between Brahma and Shiva taht is much like order/disorder, from what I remember about Hindu mythology.

The imagery of Shiva cutting off Brahma's head invokes images of chaos cutting off the head of order, dispite orders pervasiveness.  In other words, order is everywhere, popping up in every direction.  At the same time, this order has no "head"--no intention, intellect, etc.  rather, it is blind as it is cut off by chaos.

Just my interpretation.

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

sumra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hindus worship Shiv's penis

Hindus worship Shiv's penis known as Shivling(ling=penis), it is shaped like that and below it is the vagina of parvati(shiva's wife).

According to Veda(rig, i m not sure out of 4 which one), Shiva was roaming naked in a forest, and there were wives of some sages taking bath nearby. They saw naked shiva and could not control themselves and started having sex. In the mean time their husbands came and they chopped off shiva's penis.

As it was God's penis so earth could not control its weight and started trembling, so they rushed to another god vishnu, who told them to go to his wife parvati.

Parvati then came and took that penis in her and earth was saved from destruction.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to try that line

I'm going to try that line sometime.... "Hey, baby, take my penis so the earth will be saved from destruction."

How'd you like to be the guy who cut the thing off?  "You know, I was just feeling jealous... I didn't think it would literally end the world as we know it... sorry."

Personally, I like this kind of mythology a lot better than Christian mythology.  I could totally get into a religion that was all about orgies and dancing naked.  I could do without the penis being cut off, though.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eastern religions tend to

Eastern religions tend to embrace deep symbolism and be more philosophical in nature than western religions.

Although what you read may sound quite absurd taken at face value, I believe most hindus recognize it as alegorical.

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
FundamentallyFlawed

FundamentallyFlawed wrote:

Eastern religions tend to embrace deep symbolism and be more philosophical in nature than western religions.

Although what you read may sound quite absurd taken at face value, I believe most hindus recognize it as alegorical.

This was the only way I could rationalize the story alongside the rest of their teachings.  Still, it seemed strange.  Like reading a scientific journal, flipping the page and seeing that the next page has been done in a "graphic novel" style.  Surprising, no matter what the intent.

sumra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
99% themselves dont know

99% themselves dont know the story

there is another god called Ganesha(body of man,head of elephant), he is son of shiva and parvati.

One day shiv went out for some work, Parvati wanted to take bath but she was alone and there was no door in the house. So she rubbed her body and took all the sweat and dirt that came off and made it a baby boy and asked him to stand guard while she takes bath.

In the mean time Shiv came back home but was stopped by this boy by saying my mom is taking bath you cant go inside.

Shiv got angry as he had no son and cut his head off.

When Parvati came out and saw, she started crying for her son.

Shiv then told his followers to cut the head of any baby whose mother is sleeping with her back towards his baby and bring that head.

They found an elephant sleeping like that, so they brough its baby's head and shiv then fixed it on the body and Ganesh was born.

Every Hindu God has his own special ride which they use, Ganesh has rat as his ride.

A famous cartoonist in India was once asked the question "who is your favourite cartoonist?", he replied I dont know his name, they asked him then whats your favourite cartoon, He said Ganesh what can be better then Ganesh an elephants head,body of a man and rides a rat, but i dont know who made this cartoon.

A lot of hue and cry was raised on that.