I feel like I'm back in Junior High.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel like I'm back in Junior High.

Hardly a music theory class passes without that obnoxious lady saying something rude to me.  It wasn't much today...just enough to piss me off a little.  Last week we had this discussion

It's getting to where I don't even like being in that classroom.  She was later than usual today and I was feeling a bit giddy at the prospect of her not showing up at all.  A classmate had started a game of catch (which I joined despite my bad back and a pulled muscle in my hip). He showed off a bit because he's a juggler.  It was fun to watch. I got more exercise than I have in quite awhile.  Finally we sat down for class and Ms. Obnoxious barged in and asked the kid next to me how he conducted in 12/8 time signature.  I was still feeling silly from the game of catch and said, "I use my hands." I meant it as a joke, but she got all out of sorts and said, "I wasn't asking YOU." (I wouldn't expect her to ask me anything.) Later she muttered, "I don't like her" (don't know to whom she was referring; probably wasn't me) and I replied sotto voce, "Yeah, well what the hell do you like?"

All the good feeling went out of me.  I still have another year of putting up with her. Thank goodness it's just one class.  I can remember feeling this way every day at school or work.  I never really learned how to deal with assholes without coming away angry or with my feelings hurt.  I guess I'm used to voice class and the feeling of camaraderie there. I wish there were a real life /ignore feature that would just blot her out of my consciousness. Smiling

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Take some boxing lessons.

Take some boxing lessons. You get to beat people up!

It's fun!Laughing

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:

Take some boxing lessons. You get to beat people up!

It's fun!Laughing

Sounds wonderful, but my poor body can't handle that. Laughing Instead I cyber-killed a bunch of Nazis.  Very therapeutic.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Instead I cyber-killed a bunch of Nazis.

Where?

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why do you allow for this

Why do you allow for this person to get you so upset?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: .

Iruka Naminori wrote:

. Laughing Instead I cyber-killed a bunch of Nazis. Very therapeutic.

Between video games, and WWII movies, Nazi Military losses now number in the 10s of billions.... haven't they paid enough for their crimes? 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:

todangst wrote:

Between video games, and WWII movies, Nazi Military losses now number in the 10s of billions.... haven't they paid enough for their crimes?

No actual Nazis were harmed in the making of this video game. Smiling  Pixels feel no pain.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
ewps...never mind

ewps...never mind

MythSlayer
MythSlayer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dealing with people like her

Dealing with people like her is why I visit this site.  To seek others who aren't like her.  Reading what people have to say in these forums has given me comfort that I'm not the only one who questions everything.  The more I sharpen my logic, the less pissed I get with people like her.  A rational life is much more gratifying than one based on fear.  The most obnoxious theists I know are obnoxious because that's the only way they can convince themselves that their irrational views are correct.  Why do theist hate atheists?  Could it be that they scared that their preconceived notions may be challenged?   I think people like that are really just unhappy and want to create company for their misery (regardless of their religion).  Don't bring yourself to share in that company. 

We see the world as abstractions our minds create based on the tiny sliver of reality our bodies can detect.  You create your own reality.  The question is, how real is it? 

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think German lawmakers

I think German lawmakers think differently, I'm not sure of what the status was, but I can recall them seriously considering banning any simulated acts of violence against human like characters. Videogames rot the brain yahknow, they make you do the violence.

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote: Why do you

22jesus22 wrote:
Why do you allow for this person to get you so upset?

^^^about as helpful as a snake harness. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Instead I cyber-killed a bunch of Nazis.

Where?

I should say I "virtually killed" a bunch of Nazis since I wasn't online.  The virtual Nazis were in virutal France.  Now they're in virtual hell. 

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Try some yoga classes.

Try some yoga classes.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
HealingBlight

HealingBlight wrote:
Videogames rot the brain yahknow, they make you do the violence.

Yeah, I'm a horribly violent person due to the hours and hours of violent video games I've played. I've committed murder and suicide so many times, I've totally lost track.  Why, a few days ago after playing some Half-Life 2, I whacked someone in the nads with a crowbar.  I'm up for assault with a deadly weapon. 

Everyone knows that people who play video games go out and imitate them.  A few days before the assault arrest, I was arrested because I got high on mushrooms after playing Super Mario Brothers.  I also felt this strange desire to crawl through the plumbing and jump on turtles with wings. After playing Pac-Man so much, I had to go to overeaters anonymous.

It's true.  Stay away from video games or the next time you play Doom, you might feel an overwhelming urge to blow up demons.  Video games are bad...mmkay?  They make you do bad things...mmkay? 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
MythSlayer wrote: Dealing

MythSlayer wrote:
Dealing with people like her is why I visit this site. To seek others who aren't like her. Reading what people have to say in these forums has given me comfort that I'm not the only one who questions everything. The more I sharpen my logic, the less pissed I get with people like her. A rational life is much more gratifying than one based on fear. The most obnoxious theists I know are obnoxious because that's the only way they can convince themselves that their irrational views are correct. Why do theist hate atheists? Could it be that they scared that their preconceived notions may be challenged? I think people like that are really just unhappy and want to create company for their misery (regardless of their religion). Don't bring yourself to share in that company.

Yeah, I've done some heavy thinking about this lady and theists in general.  When I was a theist and felt my faith was threatened, I felt pretty pissy, too.  It's hard to take a step back and be objective when emotions are raw and frayed, no matter which "side" you're on.

I was thinking about ways I could try to defuse some of her hatred toward me.  I have tried a few times just by being cordial, but no joy. There is a possibility that she is simply obnoxious, is always obnoxious and it has very little to do with me as a person.  Then I have to remember that she doesn't treat others in the class the way she treats me.  I pissed her off because I opened my mouth and said some unkind things about religion and certain theists.  I absolutely should have kept my mouth shut in that situation.  I managed to piss off a bunch of people in the class and alienate myself.  That's about all I gained. Sometimes I suffer from foot-in-mouth disease.

Yes, there are some decent people here...and of course some very smart people, too.  But even in this thread I've been reminded why it's not always safe to share feelings on an online forum.  You'd think I'd have learned by now.

Ewps.  Stupido!!!!! Smiling Smiling Smiling Smiling 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist wrote: Try

American Atheist wrote:
Try some yoga classes.

If my body would allow, I'd seriously consider this option.  My body is falling apart, unfortunately. 

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Really? I heard Yoga helps.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:

Yeah, I've heard it helps with a lot of things, but that it's physically intense.   I have degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia.  If I move wrong, I could end up bed-ridden for a few days.

It happened a couple of weeks ago.  I hurt so bad it took me forever to get out of bed.  Yesterday, I was sitting with my legs crossed, moved one leg to uncross them and I pulled a muscle.  I couldn't get up for a long time.  Luckily it wasn't that bad and I was able to move around normally within a short time.

The bed-ridden thing?  That happened after I accidentally used 10 lbs. more on the back machine at the gym. 

About four to five months ago I got really sick and I haven't been right since...can't get the exercise regimen up and running because I keep hurting myself.

I have a number of chronic conditions that make life difficult.   *shrug* 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's attitudes like this

It's attitudes like this that forced me to leave school before getting angry enough to consider taking someone out.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Fiend
Fiend's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:  I

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I wish there were a real life /ignore feature that would just blot her out of my consciousness. Smiling

There is one, sort of. One just has to learn to be an asshole and get away with it. It's easy. It's super fun, too. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fiend wrote: Iruka

Fiend wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

I wish there were a real life /ignore feature that would just blot her out of my consciousness. Smiling

There is one, sort of. One just has to learn to be an asshole and get away with it. It's easy. It's super fun, too. 

You have a point. It still can only take you so far though.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Fiend
Fiend's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Fiend

Vastet wrote:
Fiend wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

You have a point. It still can only take you so far though.

That's true. Well what was on my mind that moment was that most people that are in some sort of higher positions (paradoxically and ridiculously) are like that, while more intelligent\talented individuals are usually too shy or conflicted to do\say something to get that 'promotion'. I notice that all the time and I'm sure other people do.

So being an asshole is beneficial. Being an intelligent asshole is a  bliss.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
May you take a shot at my

May you take a shot at my question Iruka, just so I could get some background.