Angry God, Angry People (study)

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angry God, Angry People (study)

Here's a brief report on a recent study done about aggressiveness and divine-sanctioned violence.

Angry God, Angry People

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
We've got an enormous

We've got an enormous case-study going on right now;  Japan.  Packed tighter than rats on Manhattan island, yet the lowest violent crime rate of the first world.  To my knowledge, the fewest percentage of theists in the first world, as well.

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spewn wrote: We've got an

Spewn wrote:
We've got an enormous case-study going on right now; Japan. Packed tighter than rats on Manhattan island, yet the lowest violent crime rate of the first world. To my knowledge, the fewest percentage of theists in the first world, as well.

I don't know...

Japanese culture looks pretty aggressive and violent to me!

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oops... made a wise-ass

Oops... made a wise-ass comment and forget to make my actual point!

This seems rather self-evident to me.  Religion and culture are reflections of one another.   A culture with angry or violent beliefs would naturally tend to be more aggressive and violent.

I think this may also be a function of another factor; environment.  Societies that developed in harsh environments tend to be more warlike (the Mongols, for example).

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're right...Japanese

You're right...Japanese culture is VERY passive

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/81/300px-Dream_of_the_fishermans_wife_hokusai.jpg

They are a very repressed culture, and to me that explains enough about the widespread sociopath-subculture where it's common for respectable businessmen to read rape comics on the subway.

Paint a little...chop off a head...go back to your painting...true, this is dealing with an older Japan and every culture has its violent/sociopathic aspects, but the Japanese "hentai" is enough to make me raise an eyebrow.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote: but the

peppermint wrote:

but the Japanese "hentai" is enough to make me raise an eyebrow.

The Japanese government has a lot more to do with hentai's "disgusting" attributes than the artists.  The government has been repressing them; making it illegal to produce a picture of a woman's pubic area, for example.

Regardless, while Hentai(and other sub-cultures within Japan) may have disgusting attributes, the society does not commit these acts of violence or perversion in general.

As you mentioned as well, you're talking about an older Japan.  The Japan of warlords.  The Japan that produced Sun Tzu.

I'm talking about Hello Kitty Japan.  Dance Dance Revolution Japan.  Microchip fab Japan.  Their history of violence can still be seen, but it is no longer in the form of widespread violence.