Atheist quotes

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist quotes

Hi, some people asked me to post a bunch of athiest quotes I found online, so here they are.

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma." - Abraham Lincoln

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." -Thomas Jefferson

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." - Mark Twain

"So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake... Religion is all bunk." - Thomas Edison

"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people." - James Madison

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." - John Adams

"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them." - Abraham Lincoln

"Man is a marvelous curiosity ... he thinks he is the Creator's pet ... he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea." - Mark Twain

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business." - Jessie Ventura

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites." - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not believe that any type of religion should ever be introduced into the public schools of the United States." - Thomas Edison

"All thinking men are atheists." - Ernest Hemingway

"Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together" - James Madison

"I never told my religion, nor scrutinized that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change another's creed. I have judged others' religions by their lives, for it is from our lives and not our words that our religions must be read." - Thomas Jefferson

"But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed." - John Adams

"The authors of the gospels were unlettered and ignorant men and the teachings of Jesus have come to us mutilated, misstated and unintelligible." - Thomas Jefferson

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles." - John Adams

inkwellmusingsdotcom
inkwellmusingsdotcom's picture
User is offlineOffline
"g0d iz a n00b"

"g0d iz a n00b"

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I think it is great every

I think it is great every time people post the founder's views on religion. I think for far too long mass media and civics classes have swept the truth under the rug. It is way past time these quotes got back into the spotlight where revisionists like Falwell cant hide them.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/v

http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php

A good source of Atheist quotes.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
See my signature. Also,

See my signature

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is time for rational men

It is time for rational men everywhere to stand up and say enough is enough! faith is divisive, it discourages indepedent thinking and it's dangerous

-Richard Dawkins

-How is it that no major religion ever looked at science and concluded this is better than we thought! The universe is grander than our prophets told us, much more subtle, more elegant. No, no, no they say, my God is a little God, and I want him to stay that way.

-Carl Sagan

And yeah, see my signature quote 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

Thats a great site dude. Smiling