Balance

Liam_M
Liam_M's picture
User is offlineOffline
Balance

Hey people,

I'm an atheist, but I still believe in an overall balance in the universe, which is a conclusion I drew partly from reading some Taoistic beliefs, and partly from observations in my high school physics class. To me, everything seems to balance out in the end... except perhaps for anti-matter and regular matter... but I guess that's the only thing I can think of that doesn't fit the mould. What are your views on balance in the (known/perceivable/testable) universe? And if I am mistaken, or you have examples, please let me know.

Cheers,

Liam. 

Fiend
Fiend's picture
User is offlineOffline
Liam_M wrote: I'm an

Liam_M wrote:

I'm an atheist, but I still believe in an overall balance in the universe

The sentence implies that atheism denies balance in the universe. And it doesn't. Atheism is a lack of belief in an imaginary superrior entity of any sort. Balance isn't an entity. It's a percievable concept.

And I also suspect there is a balance of some sort. Because if there was no balance, how could universe exist? Arguable.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see a freethinker. 

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
and actually i would

and actually i would probably agree with you. I am a Taoist and see things balencing things out quite a bit. However, it seems more like a natural pheomema instead of somethign thats guided. Just my take. I'm kinda glad to see someone else who at least believes in some of the tennets of taoism. You should read my taoist thread in philosphy section Smiling

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I too see a balance of

I too see a balance of forces. But I also know that my perceptions are incomplete. So while I can't help but believe a little, I also know that even if there is a balance, it's complexity is far beyond my comprehension.

I haven't done much if any reading on taoism though. Probably absorbed some precepts from my childhood fascination with the teenage mutant ninja turtles, but no more than that.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
zntneo wrote: I ... see

zntneo wrote:
I ... see things balencing things out quite a bit. However, it seems more like a natural pheomema instead of somethign thats guided.

I think this is quite accurate. Things naturally find points of equilibrium.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
I believe that our minds

I believe that our minds have evolved to think about those things which fluctuate around certain values and to ignore those things which tend to stay relatively fixed in a single value.

For those things which fluctuate we tend to create the ideas of extremes, but since we have evolved in an environment where these things fluctuate with a particular average (that average being the "balance" point), these things tend to average out to that balance point.

On the other hand, for those things which tend to sit still, we do not create concepts of extremes or of balance since our evolution has occured while they were fixed, so they are neither extreme nor balanced (really, not even on a scale).

In other words, we tend to only define "balance" concerning things which will tend towards that balance.

That's what I believe, anyway.