12 Step Program For OVercoming Theism -- Contest

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
12 Step Program For OVercoming Theism -- Contest

I am offended by the theistic nature of the AA “12 step program”.  I think it would be both fun and diaboloical to overturn the theistic 12 step program to a “12 Step Program For Overcoming Theism.”  Oh, the irony…

FIRST, look at the AA 12 step program:

1.  We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2.  Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3.  Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4.  Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5.  Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6.  Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7.Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8.  Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9.  Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10.  Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11.  Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12.  Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

----

12 STEPS FOR OVERCOMING THEISM

1.  We admit that theism is a powerful form of mental illness that is very difficult to overcome.  We admit that the world has become unmanageable due to the mind virus of theism.

2.  We come to believe that the human race has the power within ourselves to solve all problems.  We determine all actions we may take to improve our situations.  Any anxiety over that which is not alterable by our actions is not rational.  We realize that we must face hard truths about the world and ACCEPT them.

“We ought to stand up and look the world frankly in the face. We ought to make the best we can of the world, and if it is not so good as we wish, after all it will still be better than what these others have made of it in all these ages.” --Bertrand Russell

3.  We make a decision to turn our will and our lives to reason.

4.  We make an inventory of all of life’s questions that theism conveniently solves.  We make an inventory of all aspects of life that theism supposedly provides a comforting view on.

5.  We admit the wrongs of theism and decide to systematically answer all of life’s questions with reason without the theistic worldview.  We take NO easy outs to any of life’s questions.  Our desire for certainty must be overcome.  Embrace uncertainty and rational discussion.

6.  We are entirely ready to remove ourselves of all irrational beliefs that we have REGARDLESS of the consequences.  If our family members or society upholds irrational beliefs, we place ourselves outside of these environments, if only in our own minds.  Your mind and all rational thoughts contained therein have NO connection to the pragmatism of your comfortable life.  Although it may be useful for you to hold irrational beliefs to “fit in,” you accept that you will change your beliefs if faced with strong evidence that overturns your previous positions.

7.  Look inside ourselves for the strength to confront all of these supposedly terrifying questions.

8.  Make a list of all people in your current life who will react negatively if you change your beliefs.  Determine if you will pretend to hold your prior beliefs for their sake or treat their disapproval with indifference.  Overcome the anxiety of confronting social harm should you transform your belief system.

9.  Make amends with our prior selves.  Although we may have held irrational beliefs in the past, we must look forward to the wonder and awe of attaining rational beliefs that are actually true, rather than comforting beliefs that are false.

10.  Engage in a life long journey of thought and study.  Read.  Discuss.  Never give up the search for truth and better understanding.

11.  Seek through the practice of rational thought the power and strength to overcome our previously held opinions that were false.

12.  Having had a rational awakening as the result of these steps, we seek to spread our awareness to others and practice the principles of reason in all our affairs.  We open ourselves to any evidence that will overturn our new opinions and beliefs.  We embrace both proof and disproof of our beliefs.

Full Bertrand Russell Quote (extended from up above)

“We want to stand upon our own feet and look fair and square at the world — its good facts, its bad facts, its beauties, and its ugliness; see the world as it is and be not afraid of it. Conquer the world by intelligence and not merely by being slavishly subdued by the terror that comes from it. ... It is a conception quite unworthy of free men. When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings. We ought to stand up and look the world frankly in the face. We ought to make the best we can of the world, and if it is not so good as we wish, after all it will still be better than what these others have made of it in all these ages. A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men. It needs a fearless outlook and a free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back all the time toward a past that is dead, which we trust will be far surpassed by the future that our intelligence can create.”  --From “Why I Am Not A Christian”

(Any contributions or alternative 12 step programs for overcoming theism are welcome!) 

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's very good. Very close

It's very good. Very close to how I see things. Cool

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like it very much. I

I like it very much.

I wonder if there's a "condensed version" that could fit, say, on the back of a T-Shirt.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had no idea AA was like

I had no idea AA was like that. Note to self: Never recommend AA to anyone. Disagree with any recommendation to AA posited in my presence.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't understand why some

I don't understand why some many people associate AA with a religion. Would a religion get a bunch of people to congregate in a church to discuss their sins, pray for healing, and discuss their shared belief in a higher power? See, they're nothing alike.

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, and I forgot about

Oh, and I forgot about admitting that your free will is a disease.

inkwellmusingsdotcom
inkwellmusingsdotcom's picture
User is offlineOffline
AModestProposal wrote: I

AModestProposal wrote:
I don't understand why some many people associate AA with a religion. Would a religion get a bunch of people to congregate in a church to discuss their sins, pray for healing, and discuss their shared belief in a higher power? See, they're nothing alike.

Perhaps because AA was started by a man who had been a patient of Jung's and converted to Christianity after.

Lee Vegas
Lee Vegas's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, I've been meaning to

Hey, I've been meaning to do this for a while. I just skimmed yours, but mine is probably similar. i tried to stay as close to the AA language as possible. Here 'tis:

The Twelve Steps of Theists Anonymous

1. We admitted belief without evidence was powerless – that our faith had become untenable.

1. Came to realize that rational inquiry could restore us to sanity.

1. Made a decision to return our will and our lives to ourselves instead of an imagined higher power.

1. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of the ancient texts with which we were indoctrinated.

1. Admitted to others and ourselves the exact nature of wrongs we had committed in the name of theism.

1. Were entirely ready to remove the mythical defects from our character.

1. Boldly strive to become aware and repair your own shortcomings.

1. Made a list of all persons to which we had fed misinformation, and become willing to apologize and admit we were wrong.

1. Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, even if it may hurt their feelings.

1. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

1. Sought through research and discussion to improve our intellect and understanding of the real world, working to improve the society we all share.

1. Having had a rational awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to theists, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

"The time appears to me to have come when it is the duty of all to make their dissent from religion known."
- John Stuart Mill

http://theistsanonymous.blogspot.com/

Lee Vegas
Lee Vegas's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yours truly now owns

Yours truly now owns 'theistsanonymous.com.' Perhaps i'll throw these up there with a few links and maybe a 'success stories' section.

LV

"The time appears to me to have come when it is the duty of all to make their dissent from religion known."
- John Stuart Mill

http://theistsanonymous.blogspot.com/

wisebob134
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Overcoming theism

Theism isn't a disease. Chirstans want to promote peace and love. No one is condemned to hell you'll have a chance to give your life to god. The whole bases of this website is a twisted qoute from the bible, taken out of context. For rational thinkers you didn't even bother reading the whole section of the bible

Mark 3 28 “I tell you the truth, all sin and blasphemy can be forgiven, 29 but anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven. This is a sin with eternal consequences.” 30 He told them this because they were saying, “He’s possessed by an evil spirit.”

The only blaspheme against the holy spirit you can do it deny god your whole until your dead then you will goto hell but you can be saved from Hell by accepting jesus it's your choice

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like both versions.  Lee

I like both versions.  Lee Vegas' is shorter, so it would fit on a T-shirt better.  Anyone who starts printing T-Shirts with those on it will get some of my money. 

The question is what to put on the front of the shirt.  Theism Anonymous?  How about Godaholics Anonymous?  Anyway, I want one.

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
wisebob134 wrote:Theism

wisebob134 wrote:
Theism isn't a disease.

I agree. The imagination is a wonderful thing. Religion however can be compared accurately to disease, though a virus would be a better metaphor.

wisebob134 wrote:
Chirstans want to promote peace and love.

Some do. But those are few and far between, in my experience.

wisebob134 wrote:
No one is condemned to hell you'll have a chance to give your life to god.

28 years running and he still hasn't shown up.

wisebob134 wrote:
The whole bases of this website is a twisted qoute from the bible, taken out of context.

No, that's the blasphemy challenge itself. And your criticism, while not alone in such, is not really relevant. The challenge being perfectly accurate is not the point, advertisement is the point.

wisebob134 wrote:
For rational thinkers you didn't even bother reading the whole section of the bible Mark 3 28 “I tell you the truth, all sin and blasphemy can be forgiven, 29 but anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven. This is a sin with eternal consequences.” 30 He told them this because they were saying, “He’s possessed by an evil spirit.” The only blaspheme against the holy spirit you can do it deny god your whole until your dead then you will goto hell but you can be saved from Hell by accepting jesus it's your choice

If a jesus exists, is a god, and wants to be accepted; then he'd better show himself and his intentions. I don't blindly follow insubstantial ideas with no inherent merit to them written in ancient texts that are self contradictory. I would also suggest you look at Rooks topics for discussion on the challenge's accuracy.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
wisebob134 wrote: Theism

wisebob134 wrote:

Theism isn't a disease. Chirstans want to promote peace and love. No one is condemned to hell you'll have a chance to give your life to god. The whole bases of this website is a twisted qoute from the bible, taken out of context. For rational thinkers you didn't even bother reading the whole section of the bible

Mark 3 28 “I tell you the truth, all sin and blasphemy can be forgiven, 29 but anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven. This is a sin with eternal consequences.” 30 He told them this because they were saying, “He’s possessed by an evil spirit.”

The only blaspheme against the holy spirit you can do it deny god your whole until your dead then you will goto hell but you can be saved from Hell by accepting jesus it's your choice

This is what I like to call "post hijacking."  This has nothing to do with the original thread.  There are NUMEROUS threads discussing the blasphemy challenge, criticism of it, and subsequent defense.  I'm not going to trouble myself finding the link.  Do some digging, you'll find them.

If you'd like to discuss a 12 step program for theism, let's do it.

Let's challenge your assertion that "theism is not a disease."

I claim it to be a mental disorder composed of delusions.

Delusions are beliefs that are held despite strong evidence to the contrary.  Christianity can be proven false to near certainty.  Thus, Christianity is a delusion.  Diseases are harmful to the health of humans.  Since delusions are harmful to the health of the mind, delusions are a symptom of disease.  Hence, Christianity is a disease.

Moreover, it is likened to a mind virus by using the Richard Dawkins and Susan Blackmore concept of the "meme" which is a mental packet of information that spreads from mind to mind.  There are few memes as successful as the meme of Christianity.

The success of an idea never necessitates its truth.

I found nothing in your post to contend with my point about theism being a mind disorder or disease.  You create an unsupported claim with references to the blasphemy challenge and the supposed good qualities of christianity.  Once again, the good effects of an idea also do not necessitate truth.  I can believe I have a diamond in my backyard, but that don't make it true...  ya folla?