In God We Trust

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
In God We Trust

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, since the main

Well, since the main arguments against removing "In God We Trust" from the money is: it doesn't hurt anyone, it doesn't mean anything, and they're just words, I suggest we make a substitution to one of the following equally inoffensive mottos: "In Men We Trust", "In White Men We Trust," or "In Heterosexual Men We Trust."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good thinking, modest. I

Good thinking, modest.

I suggest, "In Condoms We Trust."

After all, it's just words, and nobody will take it seriously.  Nobody will become aware of safe sex practice... that's for sure.  And since it's just words, we shouldn't worry about the fact that a few Christians might be upset at the idea of people not spreading herpes.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about really getting

How about really getting some panties in a twist?

"In Pro-Choice We Trust"

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
My take on "in god we

My take on "in god we trust" is as follows:

Should it be on the money? Of course not.  No rational person could possibly think that it should stay there.

Am I going to fight it?  Nope.  There are far far far more important things that need to be addressed first like stem cell research or gay marriage or abstinece only programs.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41, I can't decide if

V1per41,

I can't decide if I agree with you or not, for this reason.  Sometimes the "slippery slope" works in your favor.  If you can get one thing passed for the good guys, then you have precedent, which is a HUGE legal thing.

Maybe it's a good thing to get the monuments out of court rooms and god off the money.  If America looks more like a secular country, maybe it is one step closer to being more secular.

I dunno.  I totally see your side of it, too.  There's only so much money to be spent fighting the xtians.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't really have a

I don't really have a problem with others fighting for it, but I would much rather spend my time on the more important issues that have a larger effect on people's lives.

Besides, I always black out "in god we trust" on the back of all my bills anyway Smiling 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
"In god we trust" and

"In god we trust" and "under god" were put in as Cold War measures.  So since the cold war is over...

As I recall, it did not take much for Michael Newdow to have "under god" removed from the pledge -- the judge agreed and out it went.  The turmoil occurred during the backlash, with believers up in arms, and members of Congress rushing to work to be caught on camera saying the morning pledge with the hallowed words included.

The truth is, President Ike had more important issues to spend his time on than this religious lip service. 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was always curious, "What

I was always curious, "What if money said something alse besides "God" (Another three letter word for example). I wonder how long it would take for people to notice. And when you replace it, I don't mean with a marker, I mean like it's been photoshoped.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Police, security, and

Police, security, banks, PR reps, and religions would notice instantly. Everyone else would take a couple of weeks.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Topic for election

Is this going to resurface now that we have an all new presidency coming soon?

Knight
User is offlineOffline
I actually wrote an essay on

I actually wrote an essay on why "In God We Trust" should be removed from the currency. I can post it after it has been graded (it was part of my homework to write an argumentation essay).

Let us hope that Obama wins and not McCain...we just cannot have a completely conservative Supreme Court. It would spell disaster for all of the progress that has been made. Hopefully Obama will be able to replace the liberals that are retiring...and maybe the Supreme Court will eventually end up with a liberal majority. Only then do we stand a chance.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
What we need is an all out

What we need is an all out assault in the courts on everything religious that is intruding on the public sphere in violation of church/state.  The jeebus phreeks started out slowly insinuating their agenda into government but I don't believe we have that luxury.  Once they've  taken control the only way to get back to a secular society will be through violent overthrow because they will resist violently.  I've heard several leaders advocate biblical law and punishment which involves death by stoning, hanging, burning, etc.  Listen to current rhetoric, daddy Bush doesn't believe that atheists have rights and baby Bush thinks we're not patriotic, some think we should be imprisoned and others believe we shouldn't be allowed to live.  We are talking about a death cult of intolerance and hatred.  We really don't have the luxury of attacking issues one or two at a time starting with minor things like "In god We Trust".  Our military is being taken over by fundies and that is extremely scary to me and should be to anyone.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Agree

I think all Atheist groups/organizations around the world should join together.  Pool our resources and take this issue to the courts.  We could gain enough ground to take back our country.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I was kind of pissed

Well, I was kind of pissed off when they added "under God" to the Texas pledge, "because it highlights our Christian heritage" in 2007.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suggest a compromise. Just

I suggest a compromise. Just rearrange the existing letters, which shouldn't cause a lot of work for the Treasury...

"In Dog We Strut".

I mean, everyone can agree with that statement, right?

Everyone except people who don't like dogs, I guess.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually kind of dig that

I actually kind of dig that it's on there because there's also tons of Masonic symbols on the $1 bill and the really extreme Christians, be they Catholics or Protestants, are scared to death of the possibility that the "God" in "In God We Trust" is in reference to a half-pagan/half-Islamic deity that the Masons supposedly worship.  Everytime they do business, they actually have the thought running through the back of their mind "Am I buying and selling with the Mark of the Beast?"

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alternatives to "In God We

Alternatives to "In God We Trust."

-"Steal This Bill."

-"In Good We Trust."

-"In Ourselves We Trust."

-"In Dissent We Trust."

-"In freedom we trust."

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote:What we need

Bulldog wrote:

What we need is an all out assault in the courts on everything religious that is intruding on the public sphere in violation of church/state.  The jeebus phreeks started out slowly insinuating their agenda into government but I don't believe we have that luxury.  Once they've  taken control the only way to get back to a secular society will be through violent overthrow because they will resist violently.  I've heard several leaders advocate biblical law and punishment which involves death by stoning, hanging, burning, etc.  Listen to current rhetoric, daddy Bush doesn't believe that atheists have rights and baby Bush thinks we're not patriotic, some think we should be imprisoned and others believe we shouldn't be allowed to live.  We are talking about a death cult of intolerance and hatred.  We really don't have the luxury of attacking issues one or two at a time starting with minor things like "In god We Trust".  Our military is being taken over by fundies and that is extremely scary to me and should be to anyone.

Thank you for saying what I've been saying for months and allow me to add my piece: if every atheist had blue skin we'd be in the camps by now. And the threat you're talking about, which is officially called CHristian Reconstructionism or Dominionism, will not end just because George Bush isn't in office anymore. Even if Obama gets elected, they'll just wait and resurface. All they need is another natural disaster or a terrorist attack to use their fearmongering tactics to enslave a chunk of the faithful who'll conform to their apocalyptic vision of exclusionary salvation. That's why I'm writing my novel.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Here's  a good one: instead

Here's  a good one: instead of "In God We Trust" we start putting lottery numbers on our money? No one will complain.

Knight
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Here's  a good one: instead of "In God We Trust" we start putting lottery numbers on our money? No one will complain.

Except then you would have to buy money with money? And then, the one who wins the lottery will have so many numbers (from so many bills) that they may very well win again, and again, and so on.

Neat idea, though. I like it better than our current motto.

Maybe, "In Reason We Trust." Smiling I'm sure that's too atheistic.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Knight

Knight wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Except then you would have to buy money with money? And then, the one who wins the lottery will have so many numbers (from so many bills) that they may very well win again, and again, and so on.

We should have Atlas holding up the world on our money, and maybe the motto: "Don't make me shrug."

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Knight

Knight wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

The lottery would just have to be that much more difficult to win. Or it could just be a sham lottery.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:I

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

I actually kind of dig that it's on there because there's also tons of Masonic symbols on the $1 bill and the really extreme Christians, be they Catholics or Protestants, are scared to death of the possibility that the "God" in "In God We Trust" is in reference to a half-pagan/half-Islamic deity that the Masons supposedly worship.  Everytime they do business, they actually have the thought running through the back of their mind "Am I buying and selling with the Mark of the Beast?"

The average American has no clue what a "Mason" is.  They think Free Masonry is a discount at Home Depot.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Three words: Fortune Cookie

Three words: Fortune Cookie Dollars.

*Edit: Sorry, I'm in a kind of satirical social engineering project mood tonight.