Growing up atheist vs. becoming atheist

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline

If someone has already posted something similar to this, I aplogize.  I looked but didn't see anything. 

I'm just curious to see how many of you grew up in an atheistic household versus a religious household.  If you grew up in a religious household, what religion was it?

I grew up atheist.  I was never baptized and my parents never took me to church.  Religion was a non-issue.  The first time some little kid called me bad and told me I was going to hell (I think I was 6), my mother explained that some people believe in god and that that's their perogative and that everyone is entitled to their beliefs.  When I got older, I was encouraged to read about religion and was told that my parents would support me if I decided to adopt a belief. 

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't say I grew up

I wouldn't say I grew up Atheist, but religion wasn't a big part of my childhood.  I can count on 2 hands the number of times I'd been in a church between the ages of 1 and 18, and most of those were for marriages or funerals.  I was read bible stories as a child, and was told there was a god. I was told good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell, but that was about it. I lived with my grandparents until I was about 8, and once I moved in with my father, who at the time, I have a suspicion was at least an Agnostic, if not an Atheist, that was pretty much it for me and religion.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grew up a pretty secular

I grew up a pretty secular household, with the firm belief of "You can believe in what you want, but when you shove it down others throats, don't be suprised when they question/not agree with you."

Personaly. At first I played around with the concept of god, I first rejected the known and named gods, Then for a while I was a deist, but then that seemed silly to me.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grew up in a religious

I grew up in a religious home, but not fundies. We we Lutherans, which in my hometown means that we mostly believe in coffee, doughnuts, and pot-luck. I was baptized and confirmed a Lutheran. When I was 16, I went looking for a more inspiring church on my own, and found Baptists, which was fun for a while, but it later inspired me to realize that the whole concept was wrong. If I had stayed a Lutheran, I probably wouldn't have decided to take a firm stand on theism one way or the other.

In the end, I don't hold anything against the theists who were involved in my upbringing. They were all acting out of genuine beliefs and feelings, and they ultimately did me no harm. In fact, they presented important questions that I would never have asked without them. That's not to say I couldn't have been exposed to those questions otherwise, but it is still valuable to me.

So, in summary, I was raised religious, but no one stopped me from becoming an atheist.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: Personaly.

Ophios wrote:

Personaly. At first I played around with the concept of god, I first rejected the known and named gods, Then for a while I was a deist, but then that seemed silly to me.

I played around a bit too, but I just couldn't make sense of any type of religion.  None of them seemed logically reasonable.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I think this has been

Yeah, I think this has been posted elsewhere, but no matter.

I was raised in a nominally Christian home.  Irish-Catholic, somewhat conservative, lower middle class, etc.

I only saw the inside of a church a few times (Easter, mostly) until the age of nine or so.  Then my mom and step-dad started going to a Lutheran church, which I was quite bored by.  I found Sunday School uninteresting and played by myself with whatever I had around.  

But 13 years at a Quaker school was very enlightening.  When we had classes called "Religious Thought," we learned about many kinds of religions.  It was this taht ignited an interest in religion, and I was a skeptic immediately.  then i discovered philosophy and my movement from agnsoticism/pantheism to atheism was inevitable.  

I've never believed in a personal god.  I believed in some impersonal force--somehwat like the Tao--that I sometimes referred to as God, but I was never a Christian, Jew, or Moslem.  As soon as I understood what atheism was--when i started reading some of the older forums back in the day as well as yahoo chat--I started calling myself an atheist.

This is why I still participate online; because I understand the power of discussion to educate curious minds.

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was raised in your basic

I was raised in your basic christmas-easter catholic home.  Neither of my parents were very religious, but my grandparents are very devout, and I did attend catholic schools all the way through college.  Became an atheist in high school after a priest?! told our class that the story of Moses and the parting of the Red Sea was not to be taken literally.  He claimed that the Red Sea was most likely a marsh known as the reed sea, and that the soldiers didnt drown, but were most likely bogged down in the marsh by their armor and heavy boots.  Now, even that story is most likely not true, but it made me look at the bible in a different light, and I never turned back.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

qbg
User is offlineOffline
I was raised in a religious

I was raised in a religious household. (Christian, more specifically Christian Reformed) I wasn't much of a christian though (hardly ever prayed, wasn't crazy for jesus like some people are, etc.). Later, the internet planted some small seeds of atheism, and I began to wonder in church "how do we know that the bible is true?" and the only answer I could think of is "the bible" and I knew that was not a valid answer. Then I got into some debates online by accident, and I found myself up ending up on the atheist side. This gave me enough confidence to look at atheist web sites (later finding this one), all of which strengthen my views.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grew up in a secular

I grew up in a secular household where no one believed in God. We never cared much for religion and never discussed it. I personally did not care about religion at all...until 9/11

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
i am sort of a mix of both

i am sort of a mix of both actually. my parents i think are more agnostic than atheist, but had me babtized episcipallian when i was a baby for my grandparents. for all i know, they could be buddhists, we never talked about religion in my house. they said that i can believe anything i want to as long as it doesnt require human sacrifice or something.

around 2 years ago, my friend took me into his youth group, as i did not know either side of the argument for or against a god. i stayed with it for a couple years until i saw a special on the history channel that made me question my beliefs. i did some research, and last summer i finally came to the undeniable conclusion that my friends here were full of shit. funny thing was, i was at a church camp at the time, so i was forced to spend a whole week pretending to be worshipping god. im still active in the youth group, playing for the band there and helping set up/tear down every night, i just dont believe with them.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to admit that I'm

I have to admit that I'm rather surprised that so many people lived in households where religion was a non-issue.  I only know one or two people who had no religion in their lives out of all my friends, and there is a pretty wide expanse of cultures and situations between us.  So, for those whose childhoods were not readily effected by religion, why so interested now?  I know I ask a lot of questions but the idea of culture and society in general fascinate me and I'm always trying to figure out what makes everyone tick.  I really appreciate everyone's responses.

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I have to

pariahjane wrote:
I have to admit that I'm rather surprised that so many people lived in households where religion was a non-issue.  I only know one or two people who had no religion in their lives out of all my friends, and there is a pretty wide expanse of cultures and situations between us.  So, for those whose childhoods were not readily effected by religion, why so interested now?  I know I ask a lot of questions but the idea of culture and society in general fascinate me and I'm always trying to figure out what makes everyone tick.  I really appreciate everyone's responses.

Mostly because of all the religous extremism going on around now, and the fact christianity is becoming part of our government system. also the personal experiences of my christian friends trying to convert people. i really dont think its right. let people believe what they want.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: So, for those whose

Quote:
So, for those whose childhoods were not readily effected by religion, why so interested now?

Because I have kids.

I have a four year old who's starting to ask questions.

And does she have questions. I imagine they're only going to get more complicated as time goes on, so I've taken a renewed interest in the subject.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fair enough. I think I

Fair enough. I think I stepped up my interest because of what was happening in the government and what not. I didn't agree with the influences the religious right had on abortion and sex education. The whole gay marriage issue really stirred me up. I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. I have a feeling this religious zealousness is going to continue and get worse and I hope that future generations won't be affected by it. Not to sound completely alarmist, mind you. I certainly don't think they'll be dragging us off by our feet and burning us at the stake or anything like that.

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grew up in a secular

I grew up in a secular home. There were religious outside influences, but their efforts bounced off of me quite nicely, I'm happy to report.

My parents split when I was very young, maybe two years old, and I lived with mom. So, her side of the family was who I was raised among, and my grandma on this side was an atheist. The rest were then uninterested in religion. (A few, by now, have jumped into going through the motions of "moderate" Christianity, but I don't have much of a gague on their actual beliefs; I have no interest in finding out either, since we're not very close anyway. Nowadays I have the most contact with one of my brothers, who has a degree in history, another in philosophy, and is generally cynical about religion; and mom, who has always been apathetic about religion.)

Dad's side is a different story. While dad and his siblings are pretty much dedicated moderates, their mother was an all-out fundy, of the "Jesus is coming back any day now" variety. She was a dear, sweet, well-meaning woman... but completely overtaken by that book. I tried... I really tried to believe the things she was saying. On visits, I read the Bible with her, with relative incomprehension. I prayed, to no avail. When I was around 6 or so I started asking her the important questions like: "With so many religions out there in the world, how do you know that Christianity is the one true religion?" Moments like these could have been seminal in bringing me to Christianity if she could just have given me a good reason. Instead, such questions were met with incredulity and "You shouldn't ask such questions!" Soon to be followed, if I pursued the topic, by "Oh, my! You are ornery today."

Mom would occasionally drop me off for sunday school at the local Lutheran church, I assume at the request of either dad or grandma, but more often than not I would walk into the main foyer, turn around when the door closed and watch through the window until she was gone, re-emerge onto the streets of Baltimore to hunt down some candy or ice cream to spend my offering money on, loiter for a bit, then walk home. The times that I did go, I was bored out of my skull and/or they were trying to dress me in angel outfits or some shit for the nativity play. I would have none of that. After a while, mom realized that dropping me off at sunday school was a futile practice and stopped.

I was never baptized. Mostly due to the flavor of Christianity that my dad ascribes to. They generally baptize at 12 or 14-ish instead of soon after birth, so with dad's daily influence being a non-issue, mom's take prevailed. She was of the opinion that if I wanted to, I would, and if I didn't, why should anyone make me? It's not really that I care at this point whether I was baptized or not, but I thank mom for the implicit trust in, and granted freedom to make, my own decisions.

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: So, for

pariahjane wrote:
So, for those whose childhoods were not readily effected by religion, why so interested now?

Mainly my motivation is interest in socio-political issues where religious/other unsupported or ridiculous beliefs have gained a foothold they don't deserve. Also interest in philosophy and the sciences play a role.

Secular/humanist/freethought/etc., communities tend to provide a less frustrating outlet for expression, more informative, so that's where I hang.  We live in a strange world, with some prevalently accepted oddities.  It's good to know that I'm not the only one that realizes that.

slowhand
slowhand's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grew up going to a

I grew up going to a Lutheran church about 1-2 times a month, and I always got the impression that my parents went for the benefit of the kids.  I'm sure of this now as we stopped going altogether once I was confirmed.  As a kid, I was bored to death by church, and just zoned out the entire time.  I finally started paying attention when i started confirmation classes in 5th grade.  by 6th grade I was pretty sure it was all bullshit, and I'm sure the pastor knew how I felt as I had several conversations with him where I questioned things that can't be logically answered.   I learned about what an atheist was and started considering myself one around the age of 14-15.

I will say, that where I grew up is largely a christian area, but in my experience the entire state has kind of a libertarian bent for politics and religion in that people don't like talking about it and generally think it's a personal issue for people to believe how they wish.  that's really odd since it's basically the reddest of red states. 

“The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.”

“It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him.”

<

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grew up in a Methodist

I grew up in a Methodist household - went to Sunday School and church every Sunday.  My mother was involved in a couple of the ladies' church groups and my father held several postions (such as treasurer).

I was a member of MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship) and the choir.

However, I was never a fan of any of it. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

buster
buster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grew up in a Roman

I grew up in a Roman Catholic home.  I went to a private catholic elementary school, from kindergarten through 8th grade.  We went to church every sunday, and all of the holy days of obligation.  I had all my required sacriments, and continued to go to sunday school until I was confirmed in 10th grade.  No one in my family seemed very "fundie" to me.  We really didn't talk that much about the bible or jesus at home, my parents were very very tolerant of others beliefs and taught me and my sisters to be the same.  All the same though, they're very hurt to know I'm atheist now, and I threw all that education (~indoctrination) away.

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
Thomas Jefferson

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was raised by fundies,

I was raised by fundies, which isn't much better than being raised by wolves. Smiling I also went to a fundamentalist Christian school, fundy churches, Vacation Bible School, etc. I was never allowed contact with anyone who didn't believe as my parents did.

I got the full brainwash with a creme rinse. I honestly don't know why I ended up here while others who were raised similarly still believe the load of crap we were forced to swallow.

It would make a great psycho-sociological research topic, don't you think?

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes.

Yes.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I was raised to believe in

I was raised to believe in the Christian God, but not to go to church or be particularly religious - I did go to Vacation Bible School a few times as a kid - I wanted to though. By Junior High I knew it wasn't for me and by the time I was 16 I considered myself agnostic. Only considered myself atheist about 2 years now.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
buster wrote: All the

buster wrote:

All the same though, they're very hurt to know I'm atheist now, and I threw all that education (~indoctrination) away.

Was anyone else's folks/family hurt when they found out you were atheist/agnostic?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
My mom gives me shit all the

My mom gives me shit all the time - especially since I belong to the FFRF and the RRS site - she uses that tired old "you're as bad as the fundamentalists" argument.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

paradox
paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline

I was raised in a Catholic home and threatened to be sent to military school if I didn't obey my step dad. There came a point in my life where I wanted to commit suicide because I was sick of the selfishness of the world in general. It was then that I actually prayed to God for him to help me, because I was taught that if I commited suicide, I would end up in hell. The funny thing was, that God actually answered my prayer in ways that defy rationality. Based on my personal experience, I believe that God exists. But who or what God is, I'm still trying to understand.

"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are."

Fiend
Fiend's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was born in a household

I was born in a household religious in a way that was more superstitious than religious. My parents are Russian Orthodox and the RO church was pretty lenient on things like drinking, swearing, etc.

I was never forced to read the bible, fortunately. I was taught some prayers, however, but like I said, that was more of a superstitious thing for my parents.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fiend wrote: My parents

Fiend wrote:

My parents are Russian Orthodox and the RO church was pretty lenient on things like drinking, swearing, etc.

I've heard that Russian Orthodox is very different from other catholic sects. I'm afraid I don't know much about it, I've always focused more on Roman Catholic instead.

Thanks everyone!

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: buster

pariahjane wrote:
buster wrote:

All the same though, they're very hurt to know I'm atheist now, and I threw all that education (~indoctrination) away.

Was anyone else's folks/family hurt when they found out you were atheist/agnostic?

My parents couldn't care less what religion(or non-religion) I am.  I have grandparents and some aunts/uncles that do not handle it well, but we rarely talk about religion when we alll get together.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Fiend
Fiend's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Fiend

pariahjane wrote:
Fiend wrote:

My parents are Russian Orthodox and the RO church was pretty lenient on things like drinking, swearing, etc.

I've heard that Russian Orthodox is very different from other catholic sects. I'm afraid I don't know much about it, I've always focused more on Roman Catholic instead.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure if this is completely true for all regions for I'm sure there are Russian Orthodoxals who are fanatical about it, but the best description of RO Church in Ukraine\Russia I can come up with is it is embedded in the culture. The language, the RO philosophy, they're all linked subliminally.

I just happen to live in Idaho in a town that isn't very far from Utah, and all my friends marvel at the stories I tell them about the people around here. (Mormons, that is.) Not that I have anything against mormons in particular; I'm just pointing out that for most people in Russia the Russian Orthodox belief is more of a philosophy. The Kniaz Vladimir decided that RO was the best choice back in ~10th century if I remember correctly. I suppose he wasnt an exception to what is now a stereotype that russians like to drink Eye-wink And RO is, like I said, very much lenient about things like that.

So anyway. I wouldn't call it a sect. For most russians its a way of thinking, in a sense.

rumpagump
User is offlineOffline
religion wasent a issue

religion wasent a issue per'se we went to church(a "non dinominational" dinomination called the first christian church, bold hypocritical fucking statment I know considering it was founded in 1908 or some shit) every sunday but rarely spoke about it out side of church. occasionaly it would be a hot topic if some one was sick then we would talk about praying for them, and for most of my childhood I prayed hard every night.  My grandpa would smile and nod about religion and explain evolution to me if I asked as well as big bang theory, always carefull to give me a spin that god made it happen that way to keep from ruffaling my mom and grandma's hair. I even claimed that god put all the evidnce for the big bang and evolution as "bouncers" for his "club" he called heavan. As I got older I stoped feeling as moved by the preacher on sundays, and early in my adult life(living on my own away from home) I started to study the bible who wrote it where it came from how it started. I ended up with alot of questions, and was tired of the compleate fluff that preachers would stuff down my throat as they danced around questions compleatly avoiding any real answers.  Eventually I became an athiest but it was a year later when I finially became a skeptic to other consepts such as ghosts and psycic powers and magic or magik or any other emo spellings. Even then it was a few months befor I would speak up around "believers" of any kind

--
Know god, No Peace
No god, Know Peace

NoGodJon (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I grew up in the beliefe

I grew up in the beliefe that god existed. It wasnt forced but it was just known that yea theres a god..didn;t read the bible or go to chuch, jsut had a general understanding. Thats what i have thought when i first understood religion/god. Then very very very shortly after i realized how crazy and unrealistic it was....

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never really talked about

I never really talked about it with my parents, but I've always had the impression that they believe or did believe to a certain extent. Less so now than previously perhaps. Either way, most of my religious experiences arise from christians and other religious faiths trying to force their religion on me. The only times I ever recall being in a church was to vote. I was baptized, but never went anywhere with it after that to my recollection(of course I don't recall the baptism, I was too young). I've always been an atheist, I just didn't always know what to call myself.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

NoGodJon (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I was also baptized as an

I was also baptized as an infant, obviously i had no say over that. Wish i had.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I never

Vastet wrote:
I never really talked about it with my parents, but I've always had the impression that they believe or did believe to a certain extent. Less so now than previously perhaps.

That's interesting to me, since my parents apparently are starting to have some sort of belief in religion.  I found out they were going to a Unitarian church with my Oma.  When I asked them, my mother said it was more about spirituality than god.  I'm not quite sure what to make of that. 

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grew up in a non-religion

I grew up in a non-religion/secular household. My parents were not explicit atheists in that they actively thought about it, but religion was a non-issue (probably through ignorance). But I did go to a CofE primary school which mean daily hymns (which to a 5-11 year old were quite fun). We studied the christianity/the bible (can remember anything though) and went to church at easter/xmas and so on... Never has a clue about what it was all about. In fact, I never really understood anything about religion, 'god', theology or philosophy until I was around 17/18 when I started to read more into it. Unless you study in quite some detail and give it a lot of though I don’t know how anyone can reach worthy conclusions. Most children are probably religious only in that have no understanding about what they ‘accept’.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I have to

pariahjane wrote:
I have to admit that I'm rather surprised that so many people lived in households where religion was a non-issue. I only know one or two people who had no religion in their lives out of all my friends, and there is a pretty wide expanse of cultures and situations between us. So, for those whose childhoods were not readily effected by religion, why so interested now? I know I ask a lot of questions but the idea of culture and society in general fascinate me and I'm always trying to figure out what makes everyone tick. I really appreciate everyone's responses.

Well I started training in some martial arts and through that started reading about some eastern philosophy (Buddhism/Zen etc) specifically that of Indian philosopher Krishnamurti. That in turn got me involved in various philosophical discussions and obviously theism (mainly Christianity) crept into these discussions. Evolution-Intelligent Design was one issue often discussed. I had never believed in god but was pretty ignorant of most things in this area (religion, atheism, science, philosophy, logic etc). I accepted science for example because, although I lacked understanding in science, I recognised the authority and common sense of scientists and experimentation over priests and holy books. And in order to argue for the side of science, I need to understand it, as well as understand what I was arguing against, creationism. Anyway, it was these types of discussions in which I learnt more and more, and the more I leant the more interested I became.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: When I

pariahjane wrote:

When I asked them, my mother said it was more about spirituality than god. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

I think when you press a lot of ‘religious people’ about what they really believe, you find they actually don't believe in a personal god, rather they just think "something 'higher' must be out there" and they go to church, to quote George Carlin, "to compare clothing." Essentially glorified atheism in my eyes.