What kind of Non-Theist are you?

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
What kind of Non-Theist are you?

I figured I should ask this. I'm interesed to see how many here Atheists,Agnostics,Deists{or one of it's offshoots}; the 3 non-theist positions.
Who is a Agnostic Atheist and whom is Agnostic Deist- and in both cases to what degree on a scale of 1-100{would you say you're closer to one than the other? how much so}- 1 beeing hardcore militant Atheist, 50 beeing "Pure" and Unadulteraed Agnostic, and 100 beeing Purely-perhaps even Militantly Deistic.
Are you militant in your position or more relaxed,etc?

As for yours truly, I am a Deist leaning PanenDeist/Pandeist{lean more towards the PANEN}; I also could be described to some degree as an Ago-Deist or Agnostic-Deist as I apply alot of Agnostic and skeptic methods to my thought processes. On the scale of 1-100, I am usually within the 90th percentile{I fluctuate a bit from the low 9's to the high, never reaching quite 100}- at times{once in awhile} I may dip into the 80s or high 70's{but not often}; generally I'd say I'm mid-90's.
Even though I lean towards Panendeism or Pandeism, and even though at times I can be fairly Agnostic, I generally just call myself a Deist for simplicities sake.

Don't be shy, share ~smile~

In Reason;
Iconoclastithon

"There is no greater weapon against errors of any kind than REASON, I have never used any other and I trust I never shall"-Thomas Paine

"God is the power of first cause, nature is the law, and matter is the subject acted upon"-Thomas Paine

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the Dawkins' Scale I'm a

On the Dawkins' Scale I'm a 6:

“I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.”

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iconoclastithon wrote: Who

Iconoclastithon wrote:
Who is a Agnostic Atheist and whom is Agnostic Deist- and in both cases to what degree on a scale of 1-100{would you say you're closer to one than the other? how much so}- 1 beeing hardcore militant Atheist, 50 beeing "Pure" and Unadulteraed Agnostic, and 100 beeing Purely-perhaps even Militantly Deistic.

Well if the scale is measuring theism/atheism, I'd simplify it to 1 - 50/51-100, then renumber the first slot "1" and the second "2." I'm a 2.

If the scale is just measuring non-theism (atheism), I'd simplify the scale to 1 - 100 = "1." I'm a 1.

If a 1 - 100 scale is measuring how plausible/implausible I think god-concepts are, or how near/distant I am to/from theism (or something like that), then I'm N/A. I've found no meaningful referent for the concept. I would be unable to place myself on this scale.

Iconoclastithon wrote:
Are you militant in your position or more relaxed,etc?

My position is a bit difficult to be militant about, heh.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd be about a 10 on that

I'd be about a 10 on that scale. By the way, a Deist technically is a theist.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
maybe you mean pantheist?

maybe you mean pantheist?

a deist still believes in a god; just not a specific religion.

on the Dawkins scale, I'd be about 6.99999999999999999

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Did the Dawkins scale

Did the Dawkins scale "Absolute theist" rate a "0" or a "1?" Depending which, I'd rate either about a 5.8 or 6.8 there.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Noor
User is offlineOffline
I've been trying to explain

I've been trying to explain to him that a deist is a theist here but he keeps making claims that atheism is a belief, agnosticism is a lack of belief, and theism strictly means belief in a personal god.

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
noor wrote: I've been

noor wrote:

I've been trying to explain to him that a deist is a theist here but he keeps making claims that atheism is a belief, agnosticism is a lack of belief, and theism strictly means belief in a personal god.

I surmised as much. I gather that Icon has issues with the "Am I Atheist or Agnostic?" essay, and the link bears that out.

Icon: I noticed that you lumped Deism in with non-theism earlier; I let it slide then, but it's worth pointing out, as the folks above have, that Deism is a subset of theism.

You contend otherwise on the grounds that Deism isn't suggesting a "personal" god, relegating theism to belief only in a "personal" god. I'm hearing some obvious special pleading in this, but perhaps you are simply misunderstanding what theism means. Could you explain what you are using the word "theism" to indicate, in contrast with non-theism?

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regarding the concept of a

Regarding the concept of a god of some sort, I'm a 5, more likely 6.

Regarding specific gods, like the Biblical God, I'm a 7 

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan