What is "occult"?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is "occult"?

Well, according to this website, it includes everything from demon possesion to Halloween to Dungeons and Dragons.  I thought the site was a joke at first, but...

http://www.espministries.com/

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Fucking A! Christianity is

Fucking A! Christianity is occult as far as my jiggy ass is concerned!

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the sake of everyone,

For the sake of everyone, please don't ever mention your "jiggly ass" again.*shudder*

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Occult = anything that the

Occult = anything that the Christian uttering the term deems "un-Christian."

Apparently, Harry Potter and "The Gay Agenda" are "occult," or in some way akin to "ESP," so I don't really know where any definite lines are drawn.  If fiction and real-time reaction to oppression are confused, who knows how far fuzzy-logic can be stretched?

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
Don't forget hypnosis and

Don't forget hypnosis and trances are occult, too. But not Christians speaking in tongues or "feeling the holy spirit", nope. It's only occult when it doesn't have to do with Jesus.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The use of the word "occult"

The use of the word "occult" can mean many things.

1. of or pertaining to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies.
2. beyond the range of ordinary knowledge or understanding; mysterious.
3. secret; disclosed or communicated only to the initiated.
4. hidden from view.
(in early science)
5a. not apparent on mere inspection but discoverable by experimentation.
5b. of a nature not understood, as physical qualities.
5c. dealing with such qualities; experimental: occult science.
6. Medicine/Medical. present in amounts too small to be visible: a chemical test to detect occult blood in the stool.
–noun
7. the supernatural or supernatural agencies and affairs considered as a whole (usually prec. by the).
8. occult studies or sciences (usually prec. by the).
–verb (used with object)
9. to block or shut off (an object) from view; hide.
10. Astronomy. to hide (a celestial body) by occultation.
–verb (used without object)
11. to become hidden or shut off from view.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: The use of the

Susan wrote:
The use of the word "occult" can mean many things. 1. of or pertaining to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies. 2. beyond the range of ordinary knowledge or understanding; mysterious. 3. secret; disclosed or communicated only to the initiated. 4. hidden from view. (in early science) 5a. not apparent on mere inspection but discoverable by experimentation. 5b. of a nature not understood, as physical qualities. 5c. dealing with such qualities; experimental: occult science. 6. Medicine/Medical. present in amounts too small to be visible: a chemical test to detect occult blood in the stool. –noun 7. the supernatural or supernatural agencies and affairs considered as a whole (usually prec. by the). 8. occult studies or sciences (usually prec. by the). –verb (used with object) 9. to block or shut off (an object) from view; hide. 10. Astronomy. to hide (a celestial body) by occultation. –verb (used without object) 11. to become hidden or shut off from view.

I second this motion, that just about covers it all. I am an avid reader on occultism, in just about any form. I don't know why I find it all so interesting. 

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
Some occult theories reasonable...

Mordagar wrote:

I second this motion, that just about covers it all. I am an avid reader on occultism, in just about any form. I don't know why I find it all so interesting. 

Me too.

Perhaps because there is something to be said for the probable validity of 'some" of the concepts, that sciene will probably understand and label someday. Others are unreasonable of course, but some are possible or even probable. Now, the hard scientifoc community needs only recognize that there needs be different methods for measuring these things than the ones they've set up for material science, just as the social sciences have theirs and are reasonable.

In Reason:

Iconoclastithon

"There is no greater weapon against errors of any kind than REASON, I have never used any other and I trust I never shall"-Thomas Paine

"God is the power of first cause, nature is the law, and matter is the subject acted upon"-Thomas Paine