The 300 movie

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The 300 movie

When viewing films that are based on history, I usually ignore minor details. Just from the trailer of this movie, I see that Spartans are battling with no armor (must have forgot it that day), people are using PAIRED stirrups (first documented use around 300 CE), and the Persians are using what appears to be African war elephants (first documentation of Greeks fighting Persians using elephants, who probably used Persian elephants, was around 331 BCE, the 300 spartan war occured around 480 BCE). Of course, the film also potrays the some Persians as goblin-like or they have a severe case of leprosy.  I can see past all that, but when King Leonidas uses the word "Hell" in the trailer, I find that nothing but irresponsible. What next? Why not just have the Spartans praying to Jesus and have Napolean swoop in to save the day. Just from viewing the trailers, it seems that its an attempt to demonize other cultures. The Persians weren't leper goblins and full of evil and the spartans weren't conservative democratic Christians. It's too bad because this film appears to have some really great special affects and probably a great storyline.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Debauchrist wrote: When

Debauchrist wrote:
When viewing films that are based on history, I usually ignore minor details. Just from the trailer of this movie, I see that Spartans are battling with no armor (must have forgot it that day), people are using PAIRED stirrups (first documented use around 300 CE), and the Persians are using what appears to be African war elephants (first documentation of Greeks fighting Persians using elephants, who probably used Persian elephants, was around 331 BCE, the 300 spartan war occured around 480 BCE). Of course, the film also potrays the some Persians as goblin-like or they have a severe case of leprosy. I can see past all that, but when King Leonidas uses the word "Hell" in the trailer, I find that nothing but irresponsible. What next? Why not just have the Spartans praying to Jesus and have Napolean swoop in to save the day. Just from viewing the trailers, it seems that its an attempt to demonize other cultures. The Persians weren't leper goblins and full of evil and the spartans weren't conservative democratic Christians. It's too bad because this film appears to have some really great special affects and probably a great storyline.

But dude, it's gonna be like "Gladiator" x 300! 

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I liked Gladiator even

I liked Gladiator even though the movie had aircraft contrails in the sky and a gasoline can in a chariot.

My problem is the use of the word "hell" in 300. "Hades" is clearly the better choice. The use of the word Hell will really detract from the context of the movie. This inaccuracy was intentional and that's why I have a problem with it.

We'll probably have Christians who will think that the every culture, past and present, believes in Hell because of this movie. They've already suspended rational thought when it comes to religion, why not go a step further and suspend rational thought on religious history.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
I understand your

I understand your objection, and I find it over-ruled by the carnage I plan to buy a ticket to see.

For most people ANY concept of an under or nether world immiediately equates to their own notions of such. Just like Chistians think Jews believe in the same hell they do - when such is clearly no the case. Frankly, I don't think it matters that they don't call it Hades, most people are too ignorant to notice such nuances. 

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really hope you're wrong

I really hope you're wrong when you say people are too ignorant to notice. Perhaps I'm hoping in vain and you're totally correct. Ah well, it's probably going to be a real cool movie, I just wish the producers paid as much attention to historical accuracy as they did to the special affects.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I think its based on a

I think its based on a comic that pulled from history, but in the hollywood kind of pulling of history. This time hollywood isn't to blame it would be the comic book guy.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
If they spoke ancient greek

If they spoke ancient greek then would you go? lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: I think

Voiderest wrote:

I think its based on a comic that pulled from history, but in the hollywood kind of pulling of history. This time hollywood isn't to blame it would be the comic book guy.

You're correct, the movie is based on a graphic novel. I've never read the graphic novel so I really can't say if the inaccuracies were contained in the novel as well. In any case, the producers have no excuse for not correcting any glaring mistakes contained within the novel. Movies based on novels are changed all the time, just compare the Queen of the Damned book to the movie.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: If they

darth_josh wrote:
If they spoke ancient greek then would you go? lol.

Probably not, it'd probably turn me off as much as "The Passion of the Christ" did. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about seeing 300. I'm just hoping that the movie doesn't contain some sort of hidden agenda.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Debauchrist wrote: Probably

Debauchrist wrote:
Probably not, it'd probably turn me off as much as "The Passion of the Christ" did. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about seeing 300. I'm just hoping that the movie doesn't contain some sort of hidden agenda.

...yes, I'm sure a movie about Greek warriors slaughtering thousands of Persians based on a comic book written by an atheist is going to be full of hidden Christian propaganda. You're trying a little too hard here.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Indeed, Jeremiah. It's sort

Indeed, Jeremiah.

It's sort of like saying I would have enjoyed the video game "God of War" (bestest game EVER) less, if Kratos went to hell rather than hades. Frankly, I wouldn't have even noticed.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Indeed, Jeremiah.

It's sort of like saying I would have enjoyed the video game "God of War" (bestest game EVER) less, if Kratos went to hell rather than hades. Frankly, I wouldn't have even noticed.

I would've. I was a bit confused about the power that posiden gives you, and the fact that the hydra was in water (And the fact that you kill it by whacking it). 

But I still like it.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure, the book probably

Sure, the book probably doesn't contain a hidden agenda and I'm not claiming that the film does either. In any case, if Frank Miller's graphic novel doesn't contain the word "Hell", then why should the movie contain this word? Obviously I'm assuming an atheist wouldn't be inaccurate when a comes to a culture's netherworld. Has anyone even read the novel? I'm just wondering if the book is accurate in the first place.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:   Sure, the book

Quote:

Sure, the book probably

Sure, the book probably doesn't contain a hidden agenda and I'm not claiming that the film does either. In any case, if Frank Miller's graphic novel doesn't contain the word "Hell", then why should the movie contain this word? Obviously I'm assuming an atheist wouldn't be inaccurate when a comes to a culture's netherworld. Has anyone even read the novel? I'm just wondering if the book is accurate in the first place.

Maybe it just sounds better? Besides, Hades and Hell are considered sinonyms to many Chrsitians.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
They'd be considered

They'd be considered synonyms only out of pure ignorance. Hades is referenced in the OT only as a waiting place for judgement and no mention of Hell exists in the OT that I'm aware of. According to the Bible, Hades is quite different from Hell.

Bjxrn
User is offlineOffline
isn't 300 the movie in which

isn't 300 the movie in which there will be dragons used in the fighting? I don't think the director intended the movie to be based on history at all. Its kind of like with hell boy when the Nazis are into occult religions trying to open up portals to hell and finding baby demons. Sure Nazis existed and Persians existed but there is where the similarities between history and these movies end.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
As far as I know, there's no

As far as I know, there's no dragons. The most outlandish thing I've seen so far are the twisted bodies of the Persians. It's like the Persians were hobgoblins. I don't think this films is supposed to be like Hell Boy, but I can't really say without watching more than the trailer.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
So now I've read the

So now I've read the graphic novel and seen the movie. The movie follows the novel to a "t". I see what Frank Miller was trying to do. He was trying to do a mythological interpretation of the 300 war; so I can discount the historical inaccuracies and depictions.

As a personal opinion, I thought the movie sucked as well as the graphic novel. From history class, I liked Athens more than Sparta and I just didn't like the plot or the sentiments given in the movie. I guess if you're into special effects (people jump really far and elephants fall from cliffs), then this movie is for you.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good points, although I

Good points, although I found the film extremely entertaining and it made other philosophical and political points.

Another historical blunder was the reference to the month of August, which we all know was put in the calender by the Romans as tribute to Augustus.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

Debauchrist wrote:
When viewing films that are based on history, I usually ignore minor details. Just from the trailer of this movie, I see that Spartans are battling with no armor (must have forgot it that day), people are using PAIRED stirrups (first documented use around 300 CE), and the Persians are using what appears to be African war elephants (first documentation of Greeks fighting Persians using elephants, who probably used Persian elephants, was around 331 BCE, the 300 spartan war occured around 480 BCE). Of course, the film also potrays the some Persians as goblin-like or they have a severe case of leprosy. I can see past all that, but when King Leonidas uses the word "Hell" in the trailer, I find that nothing but irresponsible. What next? Why not just have the Spartans praying to Jesus and have Napolean swoop in to save the day. Just from viewing the trailers, it seems that its an attempt to demonize other cultures. The Persians weren't leper goblins and full of evil and the spartans weren't conservative democratic Christians. It's too bad because this film appears to have some really great special affects and probably a great storyline.

I really did not go to see the movie to get a history lesson.  I mean, I really did not think that the persians rode rhinos and there were 15 feet tall jaugernauts and goats that play lutes or what not.  it's hollywood and it's a movie based on a comic book..that's as far as I take that. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
The only thing that irked me

The only thing that irked me was the Jesus pose at the end.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
guys, it's a movie.  It's

guys, it's a movie.  It's for entertainment.  You want a history lesson just look up the battle; Wikipedia does a pretty good job in writing out what happened according to history.

I laughed when I saw recently that Iran objected to the movie.  Sometimes I really wonder if people don't have anything better to do with their lives but be criticial about every stupid detail that makes no difference to ANYONE 15 minutes from now.

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: guys,

razorphreak wrote:

guys, it's a movie. It's for entertainment. You want a history lesson just look up the battle; Wikipedia does a pretty good job in writing out what happened according to history.

I laughed when I saw recently that Iran objected to the movie. Sometimes I really wonder if people don't have anything better to do with their lives but be criticial about every stupid detail that makes no difference to ANYONE 15 minutes from now.

I can understand why Iran objects, it painted the Persians as quiet evil. The Persian empire was actually magnificent and so was the Greek's. Though, what I found disturbing was that the film obviously pandered to a Christian American audience (as well as the graphic novel). Sparta was the worst thing to happen to the Greeks (Athens) from a historical standpoint. Frank Miller seems to be more concerned with making a few bucks rather than portraying a real message about any subject in this film. It's probably why the film doesn't go beyond "defend this rock" in terms of plot. It's horrible film that has no plot or special effects to speak of. Might as well had Andy Dick play Leonidas.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I saw this movie last

Ok, I saw this movie last night and I have nothing to add vis-a-vis historical accuracy, ethnic sterostyping/racialized archetypes ... I just want to say, this is the best movie ever made.  It made Gladiator look like My Little Pony - It made Blood Sport like Too Wong Fu - It made Lord of the Rings look like You've Got Mail - It made Braveheart look like Baby Geniuses 2

It's like the polled every guy in the world, asked them what would make the perfect movie, plugged the suggestions into the biggest, baddest, most ass-kicking computer on earth and it spit out this script ...

This is the first review I read this morning:

I just saw a movie that’ll give your eyes boners, make your balls scream and make you poop DVD copies of THE TRANSPORTER. It’s called 300. I don’t know what the title has to do with the movie, but they could’ve called it KITTENS MAKING CANDLES and it’d still rule.

It’s about these 300 Greek dudes who stomp the sugar-coated shit out of like a million other dudes. I have a feeling that a lot of high school sports coaches are going to show this film to their teams before they play. Also, gay dudes and divorced women are going to use screen captures for computer wallpaper.

The movie takes place about a million years ago, and it’s sort of like a prequel to SIN CITY. Except way less guns and cars but twice as much skull splitting. If you watch this movie and go into a Taco Bell, and say to the cashier, "I need some extra sauce packets" guess what? You’re getting twenty sauce packets because your face will punch him in the brain.

I can’t spoil the plot because THANK GOD THERE ISN’T ONE. Just ass kicking that kicks ass that, while said ass is getting kicked, is kicking yet more ass that’s hitting someone’s balls with a hammer made of ice but the ice is frozen whiskey.

TWO COOL THINGS ABOUT THE MOVIE AND ONE THING I DIDN’T LIKE:

COOL THING ONE:
HEAVY METAL DURING BATTLE SCENES

Who gives a shit if the music isn’t historically correct? LORD OF THE RINGS could’ve used some Journey. This movie has that chu-CHUNG kind of metal that you hear in your head when your shift supervisor at Wetzel’s Pretzel is telling you that you’ll have to stay for clean up and you wish you had a sock filled with quarters in your hand.

COOL THING TWO:
FOES, MINI-BOSSES AND A BIG BOSS

Basically, the Greek dudes are fighting these Persian dudes, but the director, who must have a dick made of three machine guns, does it all like a video game. The Greeks fight every death metal video from the last ten years. There’s wave after wave of giants, freaks, ninjas, mutants, wizards, and a hunchback who looks like he’s got Rosie O’Donnell on his back.

Would I have been happy if Dom DeLuise from HISTORY OF THE WORLD, PART I had shown up? Maybe, but this movie more than makes up for that glaring oversight.

NOT SO GOOD THING:
DUDE NUDITY ("DUDE-ITY&quotEye-wink

These are Greek times, when there were a lot of naked women around. And there are some naked women in this film, but almost every naked woman scene has a muscular dude giving the screen an ass picnic. Dude-ity is something directors put in their movies so people will think they’re serious, I guess, and not just throwing in naked hotties.

Any directors reading this – IT’S OKAY TO JUST THROW IN NAKED HOTTIES.

Can’t someone make a movie about naked Amazons and call it PAUSE BUTTON?

My final analysis is 300 the most ass-ruling movie I’ve seen this year, and will probably be the King of 2007 unless someone makes a movie where a pair of sentient boobs fights a werewolf.

I just saw a movie that’ll give your eyes boners, make your balls scream and make you poop DVD copies of THE TRANSPORTER. It’s called 300. I don’t know what the title has to do with the movie, but they could’ve called it KITTENS MAKING CANDLES and it’d still rule.

It’s about these 300 Greek dudes who stomp the sugar-coated shit out of like a million other dudes. I have a feeling that a lot of high school sports coaches are going to show this film to their teams before they play. Also, gay dudes and divorced women are going to use screen captures for computer wallpaper.

The movie takes place about a million years ago, and it’s sort of like a prequel to SIN CITY. Except way less guns and cars but twice as much skull splitting. If you watch this movie and go into a Taco Bell, and say to the cashier, "I need some extra sauce packets" guess what? You’re getting twenty sauce packets because your face will punch him in the brain.

I can’t spoil the plot because THANK GOD THERE ISN’T ONE. Just ass kicking that kicks ass that, while said ass is getting kicked, is kicking yet more ass that’s hitting someone’s balls with a hammer made of ice but the ice is frozen whiskey.

TWO COOL THINGS ABOUT THE MOVIE AND ONE THING I DIDN’T LIKE:

COOL THING ONE:
HEAVY METAL DURING BATTLE SCENES

Who gives a shit if the music isn’t historically correct? LORD OF THE RINGS could’ve used some Journey. This movie has that chu-CHUNG kind of metal that you hear in your head when your shift supervisor at Wetzel’s Pretzel is telling you that you’ll have to stay for clean up and you wish you had a sock filled with quarters in your hand.

COOL THING TWO:
FOES, MINI-BOSSES AND A BIG BOSS

Basically, the Greek dudes are fighting these Persian dudes, but the director, who must have a dick made of three machine guns, does it all like a video game. The Greeks fight every death metal video from the last ten years. There’s wave after wave of giants, freaks, ninjas, mutants, wizards, and a hunchback who looks like he’s got Rosie O’Donnell on his back.

Would I have been happy if Dom DeLuise from HISTORY OF THE WORLD, PART I had shown up? Maybe, but this movie more than makes up for that glaring oversight.

NOT SO GOOD THING:
DUDE NUDITY ("DUDE-ITY&quotEye-wink

These are Greek times, when there were a lot of naked women around. And there are some naked women in this film, but almost every naked woman scene has a muscular dude giving the screen an ass picnic. Dude-ity is something directors put in their movies so people will think they’re serious, I guess, and not just throwing in naked hotties.

Can’t someone make a movie about naked Amazons and call it PAUSE BUTTON?

My final analysis is 300 the most ass-ruling movie I’ve seen this year, and will probably be the King of 2007 unless someone makes a movie where a pair of sentient boobs fights a werewolf.

Any questions?!

Oh, and I was sitting next to Spike Lee who was fucking loving it too !!!

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched the movie

I watched the movie yesterday.

I liked it. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Debauchrist wrote: I can

Debauchrist wrote:
I can understand why Iran objects, it painted the Persians as quiet evil. The Persian empire was actually magnificent and so was the Greek's. Though, what I found disturbing was that the film obviously pandered to a Christian American audience (as well as the graphic novel). Sparta was the worst thing to happen to the Greeks (Athens) from a historical standpoint. Frank Miller seems to be more concerned with making a few bucks rather than portraying a real message about any subject in this film. It's probably why the film doesn't go beyond "defend this rock" in terms of plot. It's horrible film that has no plot or special effects to speak of. Might as well had Andy Dick play Leonidas.

But it's a movie.  It almost seems (like many Americans today) that they have so much time on their hands they can sit around and criticize a movie...

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Souf
Souf's picture
User is offlineOffline

Debauchrist wrote:

Why is it irresponsible ??

Did you know that the notions of "hell" and "paradise" existed in many other religions before monotheism?

The fact that greeks used to believe in hell or paradise means that the prophet Abraham did not bring  anything new. Just a bunch of "inspirations" from old existing religions... So it is an argumen for atheist to convince that "no religion" is the best. All of them were created and copied from others Eye-wink

Even if God existed, he should be destroyed.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just watched the movie

I just watched the movie yesterday, and I can say with all certainty that I did not notice the word hell being used at all. That by no means suggests it didn't occur, just that it didn't seem out of place. The music was more out of place. The elephants were a bit of a stretch, but less than 30 seconds of the movie. No big deal. Same with the rhino. And actually, the diseased bit was exaggerated in the previews. Perhaps 3 Persians were shown as diseased, while the Greeks had a whole bunch of them.

All in all, it was a good movie. But I'd never recommend a movie to be used as education, so I don't see a big issue with the discrepancies. It was more accurate than Titanic was.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
NOT SO GOOD THING: DUDE

NOT SO GOOD THING: DUDE NUDITY ("DUDE-ITY&quotEye-wink

Hey, come on folks!  We ladies like some "muscular dude ass picnic" sometimes, too.  Nothing wrong with a male hottie from time to time. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was only one scene

There was only one scene with a naked guy anyway, compared to three with naked chicks. Unless I passed out partway through or something.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was this cool sex

There was this cool sex scene.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Debauchrist wrote:

Debauchrist wrote:

Though, what I found disturbing was that the film obviously pandered to a Christian American audience (as well as the graphic novel).

I did not see this at all and thought the movie had a constant barrage of jabs at religion. The theme which was hinted at several times during the few non-combat scenes and was plainly laid out for you at the end was that Sparta/the Greeks represented reason and rationality versus the superstition/mysticism/religion of the Persians (Xerxes = god, the "immortals", etc.)

-Triften 

ollj
User is offlineOffline
300 (2007) is based on a

300 (2007) is based on a COMIC BOOK about the greico-persian war based on ancient writings!

That should explain 3 meter tall humanoid monsters, bronze swords that cut bones like butter, 300 people fighting mordors army and war elephants 400BCE.

Ive seen the whole movie and had my laughts, also because I didnt pay anything for it. 

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: NOT SO GOOD

Susan wrote:

NOT SO GOOD THING: DUDE NUDITY ("DUDE-ITY&quotEye-wink

Hey, come on folks!  We ladies like some "muscular dude ass picnic" sometimes, too.  Nothing wrong with a male hottie from time to time. 

Susan,

(sorry this took so long - I haven't been able to access the site since last week)

I think the author covered his butt (LOL) by stating

Quote:
Also, gay dudes and divorced women are going to use screen captures for computer wallpaper.

... and sometimes dude-ity is appropriate considering the trinity of awesome action movie stars (Jean-Claude Van Damm aka j-c.v.d., P-Swayze and Steven Seagal - who has no nickname - often show a little butt ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:

... and sometimes dude-ity is appropriate considering the trinity of awesome action movie stars (Jean-Claude Van Damm aka j-c.v.d., P-Swayze and Steven Seagal - who has no nickname - often show a little butt ...

BINGO!   

Patrick Swayze is a dancer and dancers usually have some pretty darned cute butts! 

Dancers and fighter pilots. Wink

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote: Debauchrist

triften wrote:
Debauchrist wrote:

Though, what I found disturbing was that the film obviously pandered to a Christian American audience (as well as the graphic novel).

I did not see this at all and thought the movie had a constant barrage of jabs at religion. The theme which was hinted at several times during the few non-combat scenes and was plainly laid out for you at the end was that Sparta/the Greeks represented reason and rationality versus the superstition/mysticism/religion of the Persians (Xerxes = god, the "immortals", etc.)

-Triften

I didn't see it as a jab at religion. Sure, the Greeks were considered rational, though they weren't painted as atheists in any respect. The Greeks believed in the supernatural, though they didn't believe in Xerxes being a god.

The parts I was talking about pandering was the obvious twisting of historical accuracy to pander to a certain group of people. Perhaps the movie and the novel were dumbed down to reach a broader audience.

Slightly off topic, but what's up with the oracle doing a "Dove" commercial at the beginning of the movie?

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
Susan

Susan wrote:
Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:

BINGO!   

Patrick Swayze is a dancer and dancers usually have some pretty darned cute butts! 

Dancers and fighter pilots. Wink

So did you see 300?

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess I didn't go into

I guess I didn't go into the movie expecting much historical accuracy so the lack of it didn't bug me much. Any particular twistings that bothered you, debauchrist?

-Triften 

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote: I guess I

triften wrote:

I guess I didn't go into the movie expecting much historical accuracy so the lack of it didn't bug me much. Any particular twistings that bothered you, debauchrist?

-Triften

I think it was the lack of twistings that bothered me. If a movie is trying to portray some ideological message to me, I demand that it's done in an intellectual fashion. Frank Miller would have done better if he just made 300 a comedy.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Souf wrote: Debauchrist

Souf wrote:

Debauchrist wrote:

Why is it irresponsible ??

Did you know that the notions of "hell" and "paradise" existed in many other religions before monotheism?

The fact that greeks used to believe in hell or paradise means that the prophet Abraham did not bring anything new. Just a bunch of "inspirations" from old existing religions... So it is an argumen for atheist to convince that "no religion" is the best. All of them were created and copied from others Eye-wink

They weren't present in the Greek afterlife:

The ancient Greek conception of the afterlife and the ceremonies associated with burial were already well established by the sixth century B.C. In the Odyssey, Homer describes the Underworld, deep beneath the earth, where Hades, the brother of Zeus and Poseidon, and his wife, Persephone, reigned over countless drifting crowds of shadowy figures—the "shades" of all those who had died. It was not a happy place. Indeed, the ghost of the great hero Achilles told Odysseus that he would rather be a poor serf on earth than lord of all the dead in the Underworld (Odyssey, 11.489–91).

And what "monotheistic" religions are you refering to? Hell isn't even in the vocabulary of the Torah. The word is Sheol, and it's not a paradise. Given the time period of the 300 Spartan war, you'd be hard-pressed to find a religion that believed paradise waited for the dead:

Sheol originated from the ancient Sumerian view that after one dies, no matter how benevolent or malevolent he or she was in life, in Sheol he or she is destined to eat dirt to survive. Sheol is sometimes compared to Hades, the gloomy, twilight afterlife of Greek mythology. In fact, Jews used the word "hades" for "sheol" when they translated their scriptures into Greek. The New Testament (written in Greek) also uses "hades" to mean the abode of the dead (sheol).

I agree that religions borrowed from each other, but the term "Hell" had no place in that movie because it's the incorrect time period and it's the incorrect religious reference.

As side note, I don't consider ancient Judaism a monotheistic religion, it was henotheistic. Meaning the ancient Jews were obligated to one God, but they believed that there were other gods out there. It wasn't until the Hellenistic era (after 323 BCE) that Judaism became a monotheistic. This was due to a mingling of Gentiles with Jews and Judaism with Greek philosophy. I think that would have been when the first stirrings of "paradise" and "hell" concepts may have formed. The 300 Spartan war occured long before in 480 BCE.