Will science ever stop?

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Will science ever stop?

Heh. It's just a question. I'm interested to see what some general opinions are as to the nature of science.

In other words:

Will Science (and by Science, I mean the scientific community) ever say: "We've figured it all out-- here it is."

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose it would be

I suppose it would be possible as there isn't an infinite amount of information to learn.

However, that being said, I don't think that mankind will survive even close to that long. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: Heh.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Heh. It's just a question. I'm interested to see what some general opinions are as to the nature of science.

In other words:

Will Science (and by Science, I mean the scientific community) ever say: "We've figured it all out-- here it is."

By it's very nature, science is testing and retesting previously believed hypotheses. I don't think there will ever be a time we "have it all figured out". Even if we did think we did, we'd probably have at least a few hundred scientists testing these "established facts" too.

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

In other words:

Naw. Thats soley a theist trait. I mean "God did it" is the best all encompassing explanation ever devised. "So how did these bones get here?", "God put them here","Case closed".

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that if science

I think that if science ever does hit a "stopping point", it won't be because we have it all figured out.  It is much more likely that we will hit a limit to what we are able to comprehend.  As amazing as the human mind is, it is bound by limitations.

I agree with the above scenario mentioned... I doubt our species will survive long enough to even get close to that point.  Our planet is long overdue for a devastating disaster... and our actions are helping much, either.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since science is more a way

Since science is more a way of discovery than anything, it can never run out of things to look at. The universe is constantly changing, therefore the science must too.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The answer, logically, HAS

The answer, logically, HAS to be No.  Science will never "stop."

The reason is clear by the existence of the question,

"Have we learned everything there is to learn?"

Since there can never be a time when we couldn't ask that question, there can clearly never be a time when we "know" that we know everything.

And for the record, I sincerely doubt we will have a place to live for as long as it would take to get even close to knowing everything about little old earth.  Either we're going to be castastrophically destroyed a la the dinosaurs, or we're going to kill ourselves, or destroy our own habitat.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote: I suppose

V1per41 wrote:

I suppose it would be possible as there isn't an infinite amount of information to learn.

I'm not so sure about this.  Is the universe infinite?

I do agree, however, that the human race won't survive long enough to find out.   

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: Will

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

No.

That utterly defeats the purpose of science. So long as there is something that is not known, science will be there - and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Roly1976
User is offlineOffline
Science has only just got

Science has only just got started.  As Dawkins suggests at the thrilling end of The God Delusion, the scope of things we don't know, or can't yet get our imagination around, and the scope of what we may yet become, is vast.  We can't even make decent amounts of energy today without burning something.  There's some famous quote from a Roman general about there being no further technology possible in warfare - we're only a hundred or so generations down the road from him...

Voided
User is offlineOffline
There will probably always

There will probably always be something we don't know. We will probably get a very good idea about lots of things, but we keep on finding out something new or things get revisited.

Also sociology and biology will always have something to study regardless of how many facts we learn. Another also, at one time we thought we figured out physics.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stop it science.     Hey,

Stop it science.

Hey, I tried. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I would say if fundies ever

I would say if fundies ever really get control of the world, science will stop - at least as long as they are in control. This isn't however the way you meant it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

TheSage
TheSage's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd say that your question

I'd say that your question assumes that we'll always search for answers in the same way we do now. I think it's fair to suggest that humanity will adapt and science will be completely unrecognisable from how we know it to be.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Stop it science.

Hey, I tried.

“Trying is the first step to failure”

-Homer Simpson.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:

-Homer Simpson.

"To not try is to fail"

-I made it, but I doubt it is original.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: American

Voiderest wrote:
American Atheist wrote:

-Homer Simpson.

"To not try is to fail"

-I made it, but I doubt it is original.

Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. -Yoda.

I like it. Smiling