Seperation of Church and State...

Ryau
Ryau's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seperation of Church and State...

First post, yay.

That aside, I had previously believed that church and state were mostly seperated, I mean, its not like God is found in any legal document or anything... right?

Well, I was astonished when I found this;

"We, the people of the state of Minnesota, grateful to God for our civil and religious liberty, and desiring to perpetuate its blessings and secure the same to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution"

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/cco/rules/mncon/mncon.htm

So, our Constitution is ordained by Theists, and we should be grateful to God for it?...

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, as I'm not sure what I'm really expecting as a response, but I was just amazed to see this in the FIRST SENTANCE of my states LEGAL CONSTITUTION.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That sucks and is a surprise

That sucks and is a surprise as Minnesota tends to be fairly liberal. At least, however it's there and not in a part that actually deals with any laws.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ryau wrote:"We, the

Ryau wrote:

"We, the people of the state of Minnesota, grateful to God for our civil and religious liberty, and desiring to perpetuate its blessings and secure the same to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution"

This is disgusting.

Minnesotians must rise and rip this illegal piece of paper off the wall

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Curious what you think of

Curious what you think of this:

Link

Our former attorney general (and my former governor) on faith-based counseling for soon-to-be released prisoners.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: That

MattShizzle wrote:
That sucks and is a surprise as Minnesota tends to be fairly liberal. At least, however it's there and not in a part that actually deals with any laws.

That may be Christian backlash for a Muslim being CONSTITUTIONALLY ELLECTED LEGALLY to OUR Congress.

Somehow Christians dispise "No Religious Test" and every time someone outside their label gains a seat of power this kneejerk reaction happens. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: That

MattShizzle wrote:

I think language like this is often preserved in such documents to create a sense of history.  The state may be very progressive today and pay little attention to an antiquated phrase like this.

It's probably better to remove such language, though.  It opens the door to fundamentalists who wish to merge church and state.