The Women of Atheism

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
The Women of Atheism

In my extensive experience with online communities, there's usually one thing you can count on: they are predominately male. And being that this community is atheist, that is probably even more the case. This brings along with it many characteristics of males. There's a lot of arrogance, beating of chests, lots of dorky talk, and a dislike of all things "emo." Not the ideal environment for a woman to participate in.

Sometimes women are afraid to speak up because they are wary of causing confrontation. This distaste for confrontation makes they valuable additions to communities. They keep the ego-thirsty men in check and often understand compassion while others can be blind to it.

Women are in the minority, and since males are usually the ones in leadership positions, they can feel largely unheard. We would greatly benefit, though, from having more women active within the community. Their addition would provide greater balance and input.

So, in consideration of all this, I invite the women of atheism to come out. Feel welcome here! We will benefit greatly from your participation!

Prominent women of atheism

Julia Sweeney
Amanda Bloom
Kellym78 (RRS)

Help me with this list Eye-wink

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Janine Garofolo (sp)

Janine Garofolo (sp)

Anne  Gaylor & Anne Laurie Gaylor

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I grew up mostly around guys

I grew up mostly around guys but still manage to retain my girliness so I don't have any problem being a minority in that sense.  Also, I was in the Navy for four years and usually the only girl in my shop (jet mech on tf-34/s3b aircraft). But  yeah, I kinda noticed the lack of females here (other than the 10 or so that commonly post).

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always been "hanging

I've always been "hanging around with the boys." I was an engineer with AT&T for a lot of years, the only female (other than administrative assistants) in a group of 60 men in my department.

Interestingly when I got into I.T., it was just changing from being predominantly male to predominantly female. I confess that I liked it better the old way. Believe it or not, there was less arrogance and virtual beating of chests back then.

There were also fewer birthday cakes and pot luck lunches.

How about Ellen Johnson, president of the American Atheists since 1995.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Captain_Entropy
Captain_Entropy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eugenie Scott and Barbara

Eugenie Scott and Barbara Forrest come to mind.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about Mythbuster Kari

How about Mythbuster Kari Byron. Who was also voted Sexiest geek by wired magazine

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Jodie Foster Kristen Lems

Jodie Foster

Kristen Lems

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote: How about

V1per41 wrote:
How about Mythbuster Kari Byron. Who was also voted Sexiest geek by wired magazine

Sorry to derail, but what is known about the religious/non-religious affiliations of the rest of the Mythbusters?

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
Despite this lack of women

Despite this lack of women within atheist groups and discussions, it seems that women find the roles of leader quite often.

Ellen Johnson was mentioned, but let's not forget Madeline O'Hair or Margaret Downey. All three were/are leaders of organizations (American Atheists and Atheist Alliance International).

I'm all about having more female atheists around, especially now that I'm single...Eye-wink

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tomcat wrote: In my

Tomcat wrote:
In my extensive experience with online communities, there's usually one thing you can count on: they are predominately male. And being that this community is atheist, that is probably even more the case. This brings along with it many characteristics of males. There's a lot of arrogance, beating of chests, lots of dorky talk, and a dislike of all things "emo." Not the ideal environment for a woman to participate in. Sometimes women are afraid to speak up because they are wary of causing confrontation. This distaste for confrontation makes they valuable additions to communities. They keep the ego-thirsty men in check and often understand compassion while others can be blind to it. Women are in the minority, and since males are usually the ones in leadership positions, they can feel largely unheard. We would greatly benefit, though, from having more women active within the community. Their addition would provide greater balance and input. So, in consideration of all this, I invite the women of atheism to come out. Feel welcome here! We will benefit greatly from your participation! Prominent women of atheism Julia Sweeney Amanda Bloom Kellym73 (RRS) Help me with this list Eye-wink

Celebrety Atheists, google that list. Pleanty of skeptic women.

KATHERN HEPBURN being on that list as well.  

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn!  This thread isn't

Damn!  This thread isn't what I thought it would be at all from the title!  Tongue out 

shayne26
shayne26's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: Damn!

Tilberian wrote:

Damn! This thread isn't what I thought it would be at all from the title! Tongue out

I was hoping it was going to be a calendar . . .  

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
shayne26 wrote: I was

shayne26 wrote:
I was hoping it was going to be a calendar...

Another reason why women are afraid to come out... avoidance of male sexual advancements.  I was afraid that title might cause some confusion... 

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
shayne26 wrote: I was

shayne26 wrote:

I seem to recall something about some english (elder) women doing a nude (hidden behind fruit) calendar to raise money for the medical treatment of one of the husbands???

Tomcat wrote:
Another reason why women are afraid to come out... avoidance of male sexual advancements. I was afraid that title might cause some confusion...

It does get annoying.... 

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I dunno if having an

Yeah, I dunno if having an atheist girl calendar would do much for us in the eyes of society. ROTF

Average theist: "Look at all those 'loose women'! They're atheists. Well it FIGURES. They have no morals."

Hahahah, all joking aside, I think a lot of girls get put off by GENERAL male behaviour online. There are certain forums that I go to, but I don't tell anyone I'm a girl. Mostly because noone believes me. I get, "Pics plz", or "prove it" or "plz cyber wit me". I enjoy flirtiness online, I mean I wouldn't have myself in a rubber nun costume as my avatar if I was a total prude! But it really depends on the forum. I like and trust most of the people on here, so I make no secret of my female status. If more video game and art forums were nicer to me I'd let them know I was a girl too.

DolceVita
DolceVita's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holy generalizations,

Holy generalizations, Batman!  J/K, props for starting this thread!  I'm a life-long Atheist who just logged on today.  Just wanted to speak up, say 'hello' and add my feminine presence to the ranks!  I'm sure you'll be hearing much more from me.

Yeah, the pic thing can often be a dilemma in forums like this.  I was going to use a different pic which i like much better, but went with the more vague/conservative one to play it safe.  Hehe and I agree with GlamourKat on the calendar issue.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Despite the demure attitude

Despite the demure attitude adopted by the female posters so far in this thread, the number of women who exploit their sexuality for profit doesn't dwindle. Two camgirls a day send me friend requests on Myspace. My yahoo inbox is stuffed to the virtual seams with sorority sex samples. Why? Obviously because I am an easy mark. lol.

THANK GOODNESS!

It is very reassuring to see that natural selection still holds some sway over our existences. Smart, strong, attractive, capable, and compatible are all qualities to look for even when they are irrelevant to the topic being discussed.

Proof that we're all animals pretending to be human. I don't have a problem with that. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
DolceVita wrote: Holy

DolceVita wrote:

Holy generalizations, Batman! J/K, props for starting this thread! I'm a life-long Atheist who just logged on today. Just wanted to speak up, say 'hello' and add my feminine presence to the ranks! I'm sure you'll be hearing much more from me.

Yeah, the pic thing can often be a dilemma in forums like this. I was going to use a different pic which i like much better, but went with the more vague/conservative one to play it safe. Hehe and I agree with GlamourKat on the calendar issue.

It's always nice to have more feminine presence, imo.  welcome Smile

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
But don't you want to cyber?

But don't you want to cyber? :D   :ROTF:

Rheingoldi
User is offlineOffline
Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Madalyn Murray O'Hair, founder of American Atheists, and responsible for the banning of prayer in public schools was the most important atheist of the 20th century in America. She was succeeded by Ellen Johnson as head of the organization because she and her family were abducted, held prisoner for a month and murdered. Nothing against Ellen Johnson, that's just the way it happened for her to become the head of American Atheists. I am a longtime admirer of Madalyn and her family for their courage and brilliance. I was also a member of American Atheists for a long time. I never met the Murray_O'Hairs but wish that I had. The family suffered a lot for their principles. The older son William Murray even reacted to the persecution ultimately by going into the rackets, the religious racket. I finally let my membership lapse, mainly for financial reasons I guess. In the early years membership included their magazine but later it was a separate cost. I still have the collection. Maybe I'll be able to donate it to the college I went to one day. I actually wanted to major in Atheist Studies but it didn't exist. I didn't even find that much about atheism on the net at first but you sure can now, I'm happy to say.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote:   If

GlamourKat wrote:

If more video game and art forums were nicer to me I'd let them know I was a girl too.

Haha, I suspect that a girl who is "openly female" on a video game forum is just asking for trouble. If you sent one of them a private message, they'd probably hyperventilate for a week.

I'm kind of sad that I'll probably never get to use the term "openly female" ever again.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gloria Steinem, Ayaan Hirsi

Gloria Steinem, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Angelina Jolie, Jessica (AngryLittleGirI on YouTube, 10,000+ subscribers, had one of I think 3 atheistic videos to be featured by YouTube) apparently youtube celebrities tokenblackchic and LisaNova are also atheists, Margaret Higgins Sanger, Taslima Nasrin, Nadine Gordimer, Ayn Rand (sad, but true) Kathy Griffin, Julianne Moore, Kathleen Hanna, and Christopher Hitchens.

Also, I don't watch lonelygirl15, but my youngest brother does. From what he tells me, it sounds a lot like an attack on organized religion. I mean, this cult homeschools a cute, charismatic and otherwise bright young lady, causes her to cut off her non-cult-member friends, teaches her a lot of anti-science crap, demands more and more allegiance from her, and eventually kills her. Does this or does this not sound like a particular brand of christianity?

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
MarthaSplatterhead wrote:

MarthaSplatterhead wrote:
I grew up mostly around guys but still manage to retain my girliness so I don't have any problem being a minority in that sense. Also, I was in the Navy for four years and usually the only girl in my shop (jet mech on tf-34/s3b aircraft). But yeah, I kinda noticed the lack of females here (other than the 10 or so that commonly post).
OMG ! AGURL!!!111!!!111!!!!!!!2 CYBUR WIFF ME PLZ?????? SNED N00D PIX0RZ?????

Susan wrote:

I've always been "hanging around with the boys." I was an engineer with AT&T for a lot of years, the only female (other than administrative assistants) in a group of 60 men in my department.

Interestingly when I got into I.T., it was just changing from being predominantly male to predominantly female. I confess that I liked it better the old way. Believe it or not, there was less arrogance and virtual beating of chests back then.

There were also fewer birthday cakes and pot luck lunches.

How about Ellen Johnson, president of the American Atheists since 1995.

Angelic_Atheist wrote:

shayne26 wrote:

I seem to recall something about some english (elder) women doing a nude (hidden behind fruit) calendar to raise money for the medical treatment of one of the husbands???

Tomcat wrote:
Another reason why women are afraid to come out... avoidance of male sexual advancements. I was afraid that title might cause some confusion...

It does get annoying....

GlamourKat wrote:

Yeah, I dunno if having an atheist girl calendar would do much for us in the eyes of society. ROTF

Average theist: "Look at all those 'loose women'! They're atheists. Well it FIGURES. They have no morals."

Hahahah, all joking aside, I think a lot of girls get put off by GENERAL male behaviour online. There are certain forums that I go to, but I don't tell anyone I'm a girl. Mostly because noone believes me. I get, "Pics plz", or "prove it" or "plz cyber wit me". I enjoy flirtiness online, I mean I wouldn't have myself in a rubber nun costume as my avatar if I was a total prude! But it really depends on the forum. I like and trust most of the people on here, so I make no secret of my female status. If more video game and art forums were nicer to me I'd let them know I was a girl too.

DolceVita wrote:

Holy generalizations, Batman! J/K, props for starting this thread! I'm a life-long Atheist who just logged on today. Just wanted to speak up, say 'hello' and add my feminine presence to the ranks! I'm sure you'll be hearing much more from me.

Yeah, the pic thing can often be a dilemma in forums like this. I was going to use a different pic which i like much better, but went with the more vague/conservative one to play it safe. Hehe and I agree with GlamourKat on the calendar issue.

All that said...I honestly find it much, much easier to talk to ladies online than gentlemen. In real life, it's generally the opposite. Why this is, only Rama and perhaps a few generals in his monkey army know.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, Rheingoldi!

We'd like to get to know you a little better. When you get a minute, we'd love it if you'd hop over to the General Conversation, Introductions and Humor forum and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've never had a problem

I've never had a problem stating I am a female in any of my forums - then again, I don't visit video game forums. I DO visit F-body forums though because I have a Trans Am (that's a Firebird with a Corvette engine in it for you non-car people.) and I don't just drive it around, it's a 6 speed. I drag and drift it. When it breaks I fix it MYSELF because I don't trust many other people to even take a screwdriver to it. This does tend to amaze men but they don't drool all over me in the forums. On the contrary, I think they feel threatened by me. Some of those guys don't do their own work. So they spend a good amount of time trying to hint that they think I don't know what I am doing. They are wrong Smiling

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theres also Lori Lipman

Theres also Lori Lipman Brown from Secular Coalition.