Foxhole Atheists

EMPIRE
User is offlineOffline
Foxhole Atheists

Hello

I felt like starting this thread, because I think I have come up with the one argument that shatters the idea of Foxhole atheists (I'm sure some of you already thought this one up, but I just wanted to see if someone agrees with me on this one).

Well, some religious people say that there is no such thing as a foxhole atheists.

There's only one thing you need to consider about that:
- EVEN if there were no foxhole atheists (which I sincerely doubt! I'm sure there are many brave soldiers all around the world who feel no need for a god to protect them), the fact that they stopped being atheists because of a war situation where their lives are in immediate danger, means that they only resorted to belief out of fear and confusion.

Fear and confusion is NOT a good thing to base your faith in (neither is ignorance, which accounts for most believers, but that's another story) and I don't see why any religious person would consider that a point in their favor. Idiots... as always.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
EMPIRE wrote: Hello I felt

EMPIRE wrote:
Hello I felt like starting this thread, because I think I have come up with the one argument that shatters the idea of Foxhole atheists (I'm sure some of you already thought this one up, but I just wanted to see if someone agrees with me on this one). Well, some religious people say that there is no such thing as a foxhole atheists. There's only one thing you need to consider about that: - EVEN if there were no foxhole atheists (which I sincerely doubt! I'm sure there are many brave soldiers all around the world who feel no need for a god to protect them), the fact that they stopped being atheists because of a war situation where their lives are in immediate danger, means that they only resorted to belief out of fear and confusion. Fear and confusion is NOT a good thing to base your faith in (neither is ignorance, which accounts for most believers, but that's another story) and I don't see why any religious person would consider that a point in their favor. Idiots... as always.

Lets also immagine "POOF" magically the world is rid of atheists. There still would be other religions and people who believe in different gods in different foxholes all round the globe.

This is nothing but an ad homin attack on the minority. There have always been atheists and there have always been non-Christians of just about every religious label fighting in every war this country has ever been involved in.

I had a friend from where I used to live who served in Europe in WW2 he saw alot of death and distruction and that didnt convert him. I saw him on his deathbed in his at a hospital when he knew he was going to die from multiple organ problems.

He was over 90 years old. He wasnt unhappy or frightened. Merely uncomfortable with the physical discomforts and pain like anyone would be. He went to war as an atheist, came back from the war and lived his life as an atheist and died as an atheist. He lived a happy and full productive life without god and faught for our freedoms but wont get that recognition because he didnt believe.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They exist and have their

They exist and have their own organization. http://www.atheistsinfoxholes.org

Crazybassist03
Crazybassist03's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure a lot of Soviets

I'm sure a lot of Soviets were atheists, since practicing religion was not legal. They were in fox holes.

MythSlayer
MythSlayer's picture
User is offlineOffline
My father served in Korea,

My father served in Korea, was an atheist then, is one now. 

I remember finding his dog tags when I was young and they had "protestant" stamped on them.  I found that odd seeing as that my father has never hid being an athiest.  I asked him if he use to be protestant and if I were one too. 

He answered, "No son, we're athiests. We think on our own and don't let others do our thinking for us." 

He went on to say that he was an atheist even then but had kept it secrete because he didn't want to be perceived as an outcast.  He just checked off protestant because there was a list of religions but no where to check off athiest.

I'm sure there are plenty of athiests in foxholes now and throughout history.  There are many out there fighting just as brave and moral as anyone else, but feel the need to bite their lips on what they really think. So if you go by millitary records it probably does look like there are no athiests.  Even if the option of athiest exists now for a soldier to put on his dog tags, I bet many don't.  Mainly for the reason my dad did.  The taboo nature and stigma that many theist put upon athiests who are vocal of their thought.  It's sad but I can see why my dad felt the need to "fit in" to be taken seriously by peers.   

My father had been in some combat where he was fired upon while in Korea, but it didn't scare him into belife of god. 

EMPIRE wrote,  

Fear and confusion is NOT a good thing to base your faith in (neither is ignorance, which accounts for most believers, but that's another story) and I don't see why any religious person would consider that a point in their favor. Idiots... as always.

I'm sure my father would agree.   

We see the world as abstractions our minds create based on the tiny sliver of reality our bodies can detect.  You create your own reality.  The question is, how real is it? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Crazybassist03 wrote: I'm

Crazybassist03 wrote:
I'm sure a lot of Soviets were atheists, since practicing religion was not legal. They were in fox holes.

Compitition to the state, any kind of compitition to the state, be it political or religious was illegal. Religion was merely one form of idea amongst many that the state did not want competing with them.. But the same went for people for a free press, or people who were outside the soviet one party system.

The problem was not lack of religion. The problem was a monocromatic goverment void of a free market of ideas. Theocracies during the Dark Ages were run by Christians and were just as monocromatic and opressive to any form of compitition.

People like Falwell seek a monocromatic goverment based on a narrow sectarian hardline view of Jesus. If this kind of state were created it would be just as dogmatic and opressive as Muslims are toward non-Muslims in Iran.

Theocracies are just the same as the former Soviet Union. They are both one party rule or one person rule and seek to opress any competition to that rule.

I am sick of that stereotype that without a deity belief that somehow all atheists seek to opress others or that all atheists agree on ecomic and goverment set ups. BULL CRAP!

The only thing atheists have in common is a lack of belief, beyond that we are just as diverse in politics and worldview as any other group.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MythSlayer
MythSlayer's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree 100% Brian.  I hate

I agree 100% Brian.  I hate it people assume all atheists are communists or that atheism leads to communism.  Most atheists I know are atheists because they are freethinkers who don't want their thoughts made for them.  Weather it be by a church or a government.   I could never be communist, as a naturalist I like competition.  It creates diversity and quality. 

We see the world as abstractions our minds create based on the tiny sliver of reality our bodies can detect.  You create your own reality.  The question is, how real is it? 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
MythSlayer wrote: He just

MythSlayer wrote:

He just checked off protestant because there was a list of religions but no where to check off athiest.

It's silly that one had to announce a religious affiliation to get dog tags. No doubt it's in case the person is wounded or killed, the "proper" clergy can be notified. (In which case, their god wasn't doing a very good job of protecting them, huh?)

Does anyone know if religious affiliation is still stamped on dog tags? If so, is there a choice of Atheist?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Maybe this is encouraging. 

Maybe this is encouraging.  I grew up in the age where we didn't have to worry about the USSR, and I largely don't have any stereotypical association between communists and atheists.  And I really don't see it in any of my peers.

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
MythSlayer wrote: I agree

MythSlayer wrote:
I agree 100% Brian. I hate it people assume all atheists are communists or that atheism leads to communism. Most atheists I know are atheists because they are freethinkers who don't want their thoughts made for them. Weather it be by a church or a government. I could never be communist, as a naturalist I like competition. It creates diversity and quality.

You like competition? Care to make a bet? 

I bet the Colts beat the Bears!

Competition is for sissies! I am a commie pinko book burning kitten barbaquer! HOW DARE YOU DEBUNK A NEEDLESS STEREOTYPE! WHAT KIND OF ATHEIST ARE YOU!

(Note to Brian37: Did I think that, or type it?)