The Atheist Jew's picture
User is offlineOffline
This guy sounds scared

Guest Commentary

Atheists: Perpetual High School Nerds
By Lee Duigon
MichNews.com
Jan 5, 2007

Every high school class includes at least one nerdy kid who thinks he ought to be recognized as the brightest bulb on the tree, and resents it when everybody else ignores him. To remind them all how smart he is, he insults and belittles them; and it really bugs him that he remains unpopular.

This obnoxious little nerd will serve as a symbol for America's atheists in the year of Our Lord 2007. They're in one of their "I demand you pay attention to me!" moods. Their latest caper is a little thing called the Blasphemy Challenge (see http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/).

The Blasphemy Challenge recruits idiots to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, mostly young men aged 20-25, going on six. In return for risking eternal damnation, they receive a free DVD in which older idiots like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris insist that God does not exist. The Challenge's sponsor, a posse of perpetual adolescents calling themselves "The Rational Response Squad," claims 21,000 "activist" members, all dedicated to disabusing their fellow citizens of belief in God.

What brought this on? Was it a poll that showed that most Americans think very little of atheists, if they ever think of them at all? Taking themselves as seriously as they do, this kind of benign neglect will set them off like Rumpelstiltskin. "Ignore us, eh? Well, let's see you ignore this tantrum!"

Well, let's throw down a challenge to the atheists. We declare that atheists believe in things that would embarrass the intellect of a flatworm.

The atheists' presuppositions may be summed up briefly:

1. Man is inherently good. You have five minutes to stop laughing.

2. Because we are good inside, any faults must be outside of us, in our environment. These can be remedied by spending money (other people's money is best), passing laws, expanding the size and power of government, psychiatry, psychology, education, and whatnot. When these methods fail to solve the problem, it can only be because more of the same is needed.

3. Perfection of the world, by human efforts, is possible. And don't ask how inherently good human beings ever came up with crime, war, poverty, oppression, or anything else that's bad.

4. Whatever we say we want, that we can achieve--if only we apply ourselves. Or, as Josef Stalin used to say, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs--in his case, tens of millions of them.

5. Nothing exists but the material. But if this is so, how can any action be good or evil? If we are nothing but collections of molecules--like a coffee table, or a clothesline--then our opinion of such matters can only be that: an opinion, nothing more.

We challenge atheists to produce evidence, any evidence, that any of these self-evidently preposterous beliefs is true. They're so busy bashing Christianity that they never take the time to examine their own presuppositions.

If we're so good, why is the world so full of evil? If throwing money at problems makes them go away, why haven't any of them gone away? If evolution is the law of nature, why are horseshoe crabs still horseshoe crabs, cockroaches still cockroaches, and bacteria still bacteria? If atheists are anything other than overaged high-school humbugs, why do they behave like overaged high-school humbugs?

Meanwhile, you can't prove you're smart by putting your baseball cap on backwards and blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.

I doubt that impresses even an atheist.

Copyright by Lee Duigon

---------------------------------------------

Lee Duigon is a Christian free-lance writer whose work can be seen regularly at www.chalcedon.edu.

Copyright© MichNews.com. All Rights Reserved.

noncohort (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
This person doesn't

This person doesn't understand what an atheist is.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a hypocrite.

What a hypocrite.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
The theists'

The theists' presuppositions may be summed up briefly:

1. Man is inherently bad. He's bad, because he ate an apple. Ate an apple God knew he would eat. You have five seconds to stop laughing.

2. Because we are evil inside, and have been created this way, any faults must be outside of us, in our God. These can be remedied by spending money or saying you're sorry, passing laws, expanding the size and power of government, while ignoring psychiatry, psychology, education, and whatnot.

3. Perfection of the world, by human efforts, is impossible. And don't ask how inherently good human beings ever came up with crime, war, poverty, oppression, or anything else that's bad - for it was thrust upon us when a dude ate a piece of fruit he shouldn't have. Because of this, your baby has cancer, and it's YOUR fault.  

4. Whatever we say we want, that we can achieve--if only we don't go against a 2000 year old book. Or, as God used to say, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them."

5. Nothing exists but the material and what we make up in addition to that to justify our beliefs. But if this is so, how can any action be good or evil? If we are nothing but creations of an omnipotent, omnicient God--then our opinion of such matters can only be that: an opinion He KNEW we would have, nothing more.

Does any of this bullshit ring a bell? Praise God.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Atheist Jew wrote:

The Atheist Jew wrote:
Guest Commentary Atheists: Perpetual High School Nerds By Lee Duigon MichNews.com Jan 5, 2007 Every high school class includes at least one nerdy kid who thinks he ought to be recognized as the brightest bulb on the tree, and resents it when everybody else ignores him. To remind them all how smart he is, he insults and belittles them; and it really bugs him that he remains unpopular. This obnoxious little nerd will serve as a symbol for America's atheists in the year of Our Lord 2007. They're in one of their "I demand you pay attention to me!" moods. Their latest caper is a little thing called the Blasphemy Challenge (see http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/). The Blasphemy Challenge recruits idiots to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, mostly young men aged 20-25, going on six. In return for risking eternal damnation, they receive a free DVD in which older idiots like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris insist that God does not exist. The Challenge's sponsor, a posse of perpetual adolescents calling themselves "The Rational Response Squad," claims 21,000 "activist" members, all dedicated to disabusing their fellow citizens of belief in God. What brought this on? Was it a poll that showed that most Americans think very little of atheists, if they ever think of them at all? Taking themselves as seriously as they do, this kind of benign neglect will set them off like Rumpelstiltskin. "Ignore us, eh? Well, let's see you ignore this tantrum!" Well, let's throw down a challenge to the atheists. We declare that atheists believe in things that would embarrass the intellect of a flatworm. The atheists' presuppositions may be summed up briefly: 1. Man is inherently good. You have five minutes to stop laughing. 2. Because we are good inside, any faults must be outside of us, in our environment. These can be remedied by spending money (other people's money is best), passing laws, expanding the size and power of government, psychiatry, psychology, education, and whatnot. When these methods fail to solve the problem, it can only be because more of the same is needed. 3. Perfection of the world, by human efforts, is possible. And don't ask how inherently good human beings ever came up with crime, war, poverty, oppression, or anything else that's bad. 4. Whatever we say we want, that we can achieve--if only we apply ourselves. Or, as Josef Stalin used to say, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs--in his case, tens of millions of them. 5. Nothing exists but the material. But if this is so, how can any action be good or evil? If we are nothing but collections of molecules--like a coffee table, or a clothesline--then our opinion of such matters can only be that: an opinion, nothing more. We challenge atheists to produce evidence, any evidence, that any of these self-evidently preposterous beliefs is true. They're so busy bashing Christianity that they never take the time to examine their own presuppositions. If we're so good, why is the world so full of evil? If throwing money at problems makes them go away, why haven't any of them gone away? If evolution is the law of nature, why are horseshoe crabs still horseshoe crabs, cockroaches still cockroaches, and bacteria still bacteria? If atheists are anything other than overaged high-school humbugs, why do they behave like overaged high-school humbugs? Meanwhile, you can't prove you're smart by putting your baseball cap on backwards and blaspheming against the Holy Spirit. I doubt that impresses even an atheist. Copyright by Lee Duigon --------------------------------------------- Lee Duigon is a Christian free-lance writer whose work can be seen regularly at www.chalcedon.edu. Copyright© MichNews.com. All Rights Reserved.

Nice try bub. This isn't "Please like me"

It's nice if people do, but this isnt for the people who we do get along with, they are welcome to join too. This is here for atheists and just like thiests we complain and bitch too.

Secondly, it is here for us to show other atheists it is ok not to believe.

We think it is great when people inguage us. But this isnt for thin skined people. And sugar coating reality doesnt help eather.

"Please make them like me" is what pollitically correct people on the left and right, both atheist and theist do.

Some people you can be nice to, others you cannot. Now mind you do not make sweeping statements about every single atheist on this board. We all aproach things differently just like theists. We are all individuals. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Atheist Jew

The Atheist Jew wrote:
They're so busy bashing Christianity that they never take the time to examine their own presuppositions.

The irony is so painful. How is it that Christians get everything exactly backwards? Too bad more people aren't highschool nerds.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

olivergringold
olivergringold's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's not the irony which

It's not the irony which pains me so much as the revelation of how long the road ahead of us truly is.  This mindset is rampant, especially in the United States.  It's going to take a long, long time to undo faith.  The two words side by side seem preposterous by their own merits but, at the end of the day, that is what's required.
*wipes sweat from forehead*
It's gonna' be a long haul, folks. 

"No end justifies the means of lying."
-Penn Jillette

Symok
Symok's picture
User is offlineOffline
I stopped reading just

I stopped reading just before the list of the athiest's "view point". I really hope this was published in the oppinion section, because it is riddled with ad hominem attacks. How sad and pathetic.

EMPIRE
User is offlineOffline
Quote: If we're so good,

Quote:
If we're so good, why is the world so full of evil?

Geeee.... why doesn't this moron go ask his god??

What a pathetic text. Really. That person knows nothing of atheism.

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: This obnoxious

Quote:
This obnoxious little nerd will serve as a symbol for America's atheists in the year of Our Lord 2007.

The theory of projection prevails once again; this guy really comes off as being an obnoxious little nerd.  This article is one of the mot well executed acts of douchebaggery I've ever seen in my life. 

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine