Music

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Music

Can music be worshipped? Why not? Isn't there a lot of great messages in music?

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't worship music, but I

I don't worship music, but I sure do love iT!Smile

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote: I don't

22jesus22 wrote:
I don't worship music, but I sure do love iT!Smile

^ What he said... 

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Any of you guys Deadheads?

Any of you guys Deadheads?

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
whats a deadhead??

whats a deadhead??

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
THE GRATEFUL DEAD MAN.

THE GRATEFUL DEAD MAN. Sheesh, do you not know American Culture?Tongue out

Came across this little nugget of musical lyricism

I ain't a killer but don't push me
Revenge is like the sweetest joy next to gettin pussy
Picture paragraphs unloaded, wise words bein quoted
Peeped the weakness in the rap game and sewed it
Bow down, pray to God hoping that he's listenin
Seein niggaz comin for me, to my diamonds, when they glisten
Now pay attention, rest in peace father
I'm a ghost in these killin fields
Hail Mary catch me if I go, let's go deep inside
the solitary mind of a madman who screams in the dark
Evil lurks, enemies, see me flee
Activate my hate, let it break, to the flame
Set trip, empty out my clip, never stop to aim
Some say the game is all corrupted, fucked in this shit
Stuck, niggaz is lucky if we bust out this shit, plus
mama told me never stop until I bust a nut
Fuck the world if they can't adjust
It's just as well, Hail Mary
-Tupac Shakur

1 in 5 Americans believe we live in a Geocentric solar system. Who do you blame for that? God? I blame god.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry you've confused me

I'm sorry you've confused me now.  And no I don't know American Culture.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm more of a rock fan,

I'm more of a rock fan, which does not include all of it's subgenres, but many of them.

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Please, please, download the

Please, please, download the CD American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, or Skeletons in the Closet. You won't regret it, and you are gaining insight on something a lot of people enjoy listening to.

Then listen to Hail Mary be Tupac Shakur. Just because dat beat is tight as fuck yo

1 in 5 Americans believe we live in a Geocentric solar system. Who do you blame for that? God? I blame god.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does this thread really

Does this thread really belong in this forum? 

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think so...but go

I don't think so...but go AFI!

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote: I don't

22jesus22 wrote:
I don't think so...but go AFI!

Eh... not really my style. Go Tool! 

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
what about Rise Against, A

what about Rise Against, A Static Lullaby, Alexisonfire??

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have honestly never heard

I have honestly never heard of any of them.  I'll check em' out.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Or wait, no, Rise Against

Or wait, no, Rise Against the Machine, I've heard of them. They're ok.

Edit: Nevermind... Thats "Rage Against the Machine"
I'm not big on them anyway.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
good stuff.  Rise Against

good stuff.  Rise Against is somewhat of political band, they don't like to be labeled as one but a lot of their songs cover political stuff.  Very inspirational lyrics though.  Strong vocals, and wicked sound.  Solid band.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a big fan of Punk or

I'm not a big fan of Punk or whatever.  But many bands, regardless of genre, have good lyrics.  I'll look em up.  If I don't like 'em I'll at least read their lyrics.

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Heard of the Pixies? Where

Heard of the Pixies?

Where is my mind? from Fight Club

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ripple wrote:

Ripple wrote:
Heard of the Pixies?

Where is my mind? from Fight Club

I can't recall the music from fight club, but The Pixies sound familiar. I'll look them up as well. I'm always glad to get more bands to add to my list and sample.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm listening to Crisis

I'm listening to Crisis (Entire album) by Alexisonfire right now.  They're pretty good so far.

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose it depends on

I suppose it depends on what you mean by worship. As far as I can tell, there are two stances that can be taken:

A: I believe music is a sentient, guiding force. Music communicates with the world through physical vehicles (ie: musicians). Musical inspiration is always divine and must be worshipped as such.

B: I have a great appreciation of music and have found it to add positively to my life. Music is a great way to communicate the abstract and emotional. In this sense, music is a way for humans to express their humanity and should be appreciated as such.

I'd be willing to say B holds alot of clout, where as A is total bullshit. Personally, I have a great appreciation for music. It's my belief that music is the only truly perfect thing ever created by humanity. That may be because I play/write music myself, but hey, I never said it was a fact.

Oh, and for the record, Heavy Metal is my thing. If you haven't heard a good dose of Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Slayer and of course the almighty Black Sabbath, then I suggest you take care of that immediatley.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can agree with most of

I can agree with most of that.

...and all those band you listed... you're ok in my book. They're all great. My playlists are flooded with all four of them.

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Well lets use music as a

Well lets use music as a perfect transcending metaphor for something like God. Why not, brian37 said God was like Jerry fucking Springer.

So a man like John Lennon tells us to Imagine, and we make metal music. Okay...fair enough.

How can you sit here and proclaim(proclamations that I hold to be in my heart as well)

A: I believe music is a sentient, guiding force. Music communicates with the world through physical vehicles (ie: musicians). Musical inspiration is always divine and must be worshipped as such.

B: I have a great appreciation of music and have found it to add positively to my life. Music is a great way to communicate the abstract and emotional. In this sense, music is a way for humans to express their humanity and should be appreciated as such.

And not simply replace the word music with the word "god"

I believe god is a sentient, guiding force. God communicates with the world through physical vehicles(ie:humans). Musical inspiration is always divine and must be worshipped as such.

I have a great appreciation for god(and music) and have found it to add positively to my life. God is a great way to communicate the abstract and emotional. In this sense, god is a way for humans to express their humanity and should be appreciated as such.

I'd be willing to say B holds alot of clout, where as A is total bullshit. Personally, I have a great appreciation for music. It's my belief that music is the only truly perfect thing ever created by humanity. That may be because I play/write music myself, but hey, I never said it was a fact.

Oh, and for the record, Heavy Metal is my thing. If you haven't heard a good dose of Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Slayer and of course the almighty Black Sabbath, then I suggest you take care of that immediatley.

----all of THAT, I have NOTHING but agreeance with EVERY WORD. I could have wrote that. God is not a fact. But God is music to many ears.

Do I even have to proclaim my favorite Black Sabbath song? It ain't Iron Maiden, and it ain't Warpigs(hard to really and truthfully fucking say that) 6, 6, 6..the number of the beast...

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I'm guessing you are

Ok, I'm guessing you are trying to use music as an analogy to God to argue that people need a god to worship.  If that is the case, then I would disagree to a great extent, but not entirely.

I agree that some people would be very lost if you could somehow just take God away from them.  You can never hope to change these people's minds, but you have to fault their reliance on religion with their harsh indoctrination and life of living in it.  

If people, mainly as children, can be spared from their indoctrination, then they will not rely on it.  Then, their children will likely also be spared from the same kind of religious indoctrination.

Dawkins used the analogy of a virus.  It infect people, usually at a young age, and if that person is not cured of it, they run the risk of infecting the next generation.

Many people are just uncurable.  They just need to know there is a god and a heaven just to get through the day. 

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:
Hmmm. http://goodfight.org/goodfight.org/tvad.wmv

Well, that proves it.  Rock is of the devil.  We're all going to hell.
So, I'll see you guys in hell I guess.

ImmaculateDeception
User is offlineOffline
Quote: And not simply

Quote:
And not simply replace the word music with the word "god"

I suppose the diffrence for me between both those things is I don't believe god created me, where as I know I create music.  As I'm typing this, all I have to do is look up and I can see my collection of guitars, one of which I was playing ten minutes ago.   I can listen to music, play music and see other people play music.  Oh, and no one ever fought century long wars over the interperatation of "The Trooper". 

ImmaculateDeception
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I can agree with

Quote:

I can agree with most of that.

...and all those band you listed... you're ok in my book. They're all great. My playlists are flooded with all four of them.

Wicked. 

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Krehlic wrote: American

Krehlic wrote:

American Atheist wrote:
Hmmm. http://goodfight.org/goodfight.org/tvad.wmv

Well, that proves it.  Rock is of the devil.  We're all going to hell.
So, I'll see you guys in hell I guess.

It's not going to be that bad. I mean, those famous singers are going to be there.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do not know about you

I do not know about you guys, but when I go to a really good concert, I hear my favorite song played, I feel it in my body. Happyness, euphoria, tingling of the spine. To use a physical metaphor: it strikes my resonance. Now I strongly suspect that this is the kind of reaction and feelings religious people experience when worshiping, and they interpret it as God touching them. They just don't realize it's in their head, triggered by something real.

Btw, best Black Sabbath song is Supernaut.

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yes a Virus..someone has

Yes a Virus..someone has been watching the Matrix.

So why are Virus's so bad? Why can't there be a virus in THIS REASONABLE world, that gives people...superpowers? Makes us all X-Men. I bet that after something like that, all of us X-Men are going to be attacked by people who proclaim that we are all evil, and that we are the work of the Devil. But wouldn't that mean we were the work of God, because God makes everything?

Look guys, I'm using metaphors, because you can make anything out of a metaphor.

Those guitars hanging on your wall, well to some people that Cross hanging on their wall is their musical instrument of choice. Isn't it just too fucking bad that Christians listen to REALLY SHITTY MUSIC?

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I've thought long and hard

I've thought long and hard and have had a long war of interpretation in my own head over the meaning of Starship Trooper by Yes. Is that worthy of worship?

Ripple
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I'm getting a HARD ON man...

I'm getting a HARD ON man... It's all in our minds? Wow, what a GREAT fucking concept. Oh wait, that's called Buddhism.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote: I do not know

KSMB wrote:

I do not know about you guys, but when I go to a really good concert, I hear my favorite song played, I feel it in my body. Happyness, euphoria, tingling of the spine. To use a physical metaphor: it strikes my resonance. Now I strongly suspect that this is the kind of reaction and feelings religious people experience when worshiping, and they interpret it as God touching them. They just don't realize it's in their head, triggered by something real.

Good point, KSMB.  I've never thought of it like that before.

And Ripple...
First of all, what the hell does a virus analogy have to do with the Matrix? And how does an analogy of xmen fit in with what we are talking about? And as far as everything else you said:  ...what?
KSMB just compared the feelings you get when you listen to music with a spiritual religious experience.  I agree that Buddhists may have the same kind of experience, but music is the comparison being made here.

And then some of your statements go back to an earlier post of mine on this thread.  If people aren't taught to rely on religion as a crutch, then they won't need it.  We aren't going to take it away from those people, not because we don't want to, but because we can't.  I think if we could take it away they could come to terms with it, just as I did.

Ripple wrote:
Isn't it just too fucking bad that Christians listen to REALLY SHITTY MUSIC

I have to admit, I got a kick out of that line.

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
I listen to alot of

I listen to alot of electronic music and alot of times without words, so i dunno what messages it could relay other then just images and feelings. I wonder what kind of message Apex Twin would be, heh.

Christen
Christen's picture
User is offlineOffline
My favorite genres are

My favorite genres are psych rock, neo pysch, prog rock, shoegazin and any jam band. I'll pretty much listen to anything besides country. I work with an older women whose favorite artists are Yanni (WTF!!) and Barry Manilow, so I get to hear that crap every day, all day.   

melchisedec wrote:
I listen to alot of electronic music and alot of times without words, so i dunno what messages it could relay other then just images and feelings. I wonder what kind of message Apex Twin would be, heh.

Do you like Air?

ImmaculateDeception
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

Yes a Virus..someone has been watching the Matrix.

So why are Virus's so bad? Why can't there be a virus in THIS REASONABLE world, that gives people...superpowers? Makes us all X-Men. I bet that after something like that, all of us X-Men are going to be attacked by people who proclaim that we are all evil, and that we are the work of the Devil. But wouldn't that mean we were the work of God, because God makes everything?

I think he actually meant that religion is viral in the way that it spreads, not in it's attributes. Religion has a way of spreading from person to person very quickly. I don't think the implication was that religion is physically harmful.

Quote:
Those guitars hanging on your wall, well to some people that Cross hanging on their wall is their musical instrument of choice.

It takes no talent to play a cross.

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christen wrote: Do you

Christen wrote:

Do you like Air?

Totally. Though I tend to lean towards more beat driven styles. Some good artist that really captivate a great mixture of ambient soundscapes and driving beats would be Future Sound of London and Sasha & Jon Digweed(91-94 era).