Near-Death experiences

Mike D
User is offlineOffline
Near-Death experiences

I think these articles are interesting, whether you believe they have any credibility or not. I know that scientific studies suggest that the after-life is merely wishful thinking, and whether or not there is one is irrelevant to my lifestyle because since it can't be proven, I'm not going to be in denial about my mortality. I would like to hear some of your thoughts on the subject.

http://www.near-death.com

There's also a specific section on atheists.

http://www.near-death.com/atheists.html

TCPHumanist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
I have to say - my respect

I have to say - my respect for that site disappeared when I noticed that they claim that orgasm can result in a Near-Death Experience. And the woman who experienced this event links it back to 'le petit mort', or 'the little death'...

Yeah, so what she's saying, essentially, is that great physiological events result in what we term as a Near Death Experience - even when such event does not in any way bring you near to death...

Anyone surprised?

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a link to a rationa

Here's a link to a rational discussion about NDE's:

http://skepdic.com/nde.html

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
TCPHumanist wrote: I have

TCPHumanist wrote:

I have to say - my respect for that site disappeared when I noticed that they claim that orgasm can result in a Near-Death Experience. And the woman who experienced this event links it back to 'le petit mort', or 'the little death'...

Yeah, so what she's saying, essentially, is that great physiological events result in what we term as a Near Death Experience - even when such event does not in any way bring you near to death...

Maybe you're just a lousy lover? Eye-wink

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
TCPHumanist wrote:

Maybe you're just a lousy lover? Eye-wink

LOL!

I think that what yellow is trying to say that the ladies always have near-death experiences when with him.  Whether it's because he's that good or because they are too ashamed to go on living...

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled program.

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

GuentherBacon
Rational VIP!
GuentherBacon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watch me rationalize your

Watch me rationalize your misgivings without even reading that tripe. Ready?

Near death experiences are caused by a lack of oxygen flow to the brain. When that happens, additional parts of your brain attempt to compensate for it, and the result is subconscious hallucination. Hence, it's no surprise that some atheists who became Christians after a brush of death were so hasty in doing so; they fear that which they did not know.

Say unto thine own heart, "I am mine own redeemer."
The Book Of Satan IV:3, The Satanic Bible

Mike D
User is offlineOffline
GuentherBacon wrote: Watch

GuentherBacon wrote:

Watch me rationalize your misgivings without even reading that tripe. Ready?

Near death experiences are caused by a lack of oxygen flow to the brain. When that happens, additional parts of your brain attempt to compensate for it, and the result is subconscious hallucination. Hence, it's no surprise that some atheists who became Christians after a brush of death were so hasty in doing so; they fear that which they did not know.

I wasn't trying to defend the site, I was just saying that it was an interesting read. I think that a naturalistic explanation for near-death experiences is perfectly reasonable, but not having been an atheist for too long, I haven't really delved into the subject much so I just wanted to hear some thoughts and/or refutations about it.

Mike D
User is offlineOffline
and yeah...that whole orgasm

and yeah...that whole orgasm thing kinda made me say wtf...I mean come on no one's THAT good...or maybe I'm just not Sad

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
On NDE's Read up on Dawkins

On NDE's Read up on Dawkins "The Selfish Gene" and a book forwarded by Dawkins on memes.  Memes are by far the easiest way to refute the idea of NDE's and the book does a very good job of explaining it scientifically.  No God or afterlife required.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The human capacity for

The human capacity for imagination is near boundless....

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.