Help... how do you 'defend' yourself when you are the minority?

cmacohio1975
User is offlineOffline
Help... how do you 'defend' yourself when you are the minority?

It seems like I have started a virtual 'war' on my small town's forum simply because I questioned the City sponsored Christmas display (which is a nativity scene). My concern is that it does not follow the separation of church and state, and I simply asked the City to add other secular items to the display, to remain compliant. However I have been bashed to 'hell' and basically been told to leave my city! My question is, how do I defend myself agaist these people without fearing retaliation?? Thanks... Caroline

You can read the city forum here.... my username is cmacohio1975 (same as on here)
http://www.trentontalk.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=280

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Jeez, what a bunch of

Jeez, what a bunch of ignorant assholes. Does this town have more than its fair share of trailer parks? Who not post an invitation to them to come here? See how many have the balls.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you represented

I think you represented yourself impeccably. Especially when that guy started to say the pledge, lol - shot him down real nice. As far your concerns, I don't think should worry. Aslong as you can maintain your anonymity.. if you decide to persue this further and are outed then I might start to worry. I'm sure others on here might have far better advice than I can offer you.

Sheeple Files
Sheeple Files's picture
User is offlineOffline
" Sounds like you have

" Sounds like you have something personal against the nativity. In my opinion this country was a lot better off before the separation of church and state. Why not look at the nativity as a symbol of Good Will, and Peace to ALL."

WOW! what a bunch of ignorant A-HOLES!!
You did good!!! You notice no matter what you say they just totally turned it around? Arguing with fundies, I have found, is pretty useless!!! (but pretty fun sometimes!!)

"When you understand why YOU dismiss all the other gods, you will understand why I DISMISS yours"

cmacohio1975
User is offlineOffline
thanks for everyones

thanks for everyones responses so far... finally I seem to fit in a forum and not get bashed and told to leave town. The sad thing is I really love my town... just some folks are waaay too judgemental. Someone on the city forum posted another topic on religion (guess I opened a can of worms) and on that topic I tried to ask if anyone considered any other religion besides Christianity... I got one honest response and everyone else shunned me.... go figure... I guess in their eyes its the Christian way or the high way.....

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
cmacohio1975 wrote:thanks

cmacohio1975 wrote:
thanks for everyones responses so far... finally I seem to fit in a forum and not get bashed and told to leave town. The sad thing is I really love my town... just some folks are waaay too judgemental. Someone on the city forum posted another topic on religion (guess I opened a can of worms) and on that topic I tried to ask if anyone considered any other religion besides Christianity... I got one honest response and everyone else shunned me.... go figure... I guess in their eyes its the Christian way or the high way.....

The fun thing to do with narrowminded wrong people like you have there is to make them contradict themselves. If they're wrong, they WILL contradict themselves if you ask the right questions. It's terribly embarassing for them.

If they think "we were better off before seperation of church and state" ask them if they would like the Church of Scientology to be the State Religion. Mormons? Catholic? Protestant? They want their Church to control the State, they don't want their State to control their Church. The Church-State union is two-way. They do NOT want that. Point that out to them.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I sneaked into the other

I peeked into the other thread to see what the kafuffle was about.

Someone tried Pascal's Wager on the first page...... ROTF
And there's another one farther along too.

~~~~~~~~~~

Amanda
66 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 : 17:15:26
Is it not safer to believe than not too?

Man should not be so self centered and egotistic to think we are the superior beings, we are children in gods eyes.

Just an opinion

~~~~~~~~~~

edit: Ooooh and this one's good too. She/He should come here and talk about christ.

~~~~~~~~~~

myersbw
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 : 23:42:44
Amen...isn't is amazing how civil and pleasant conversation can be when centered around Christ? Ha...I'll try & keep my responses short ...yet, I do love to talk about & share the scriptures with others at every opportunity.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
You defend yourself with

You defend yourself with reason.

Where they offer insults and threats, you offer logical arguments. Where they tell you to leave town, you bring up our founders and why they left England so you couldn't be run out like that. You take the higher ground, and you hang on to it as long as humanly possible.

If that fails, you go to ridicule and criticism - not insults, there is a BIG difference, and I think our show sets an example of the demarcation line (at least when we're at our best).

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.