My favorite Carl Sagan quote (non religious spirituality?)

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
My favorite Carl Sagan quote (non religious spirituality?)

“The Universe is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. Our contemplations of the cosmos stir us. There’s a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation as if a distant memory of falling from a great height. We know we are approaching the grandest of mysteries. The cosmos is within us. We are made of star stuff. We’ve begun at last to wonder about our origins, star stuff contemplating the stars. Organized collections of ten billion billion billion atoms contemplating the evolution of matter, tracing that long path by which it arrived at consciousness here on planet Earth and perhaps throughout the cosmos. Our obligation to survive and flourish is owed not just to ourselves but also to that cosmos, ancient and vast from which we sprung.” - Carl Sagan (beginning of the Cosmos series)

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The world is so exquisite,

"The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to decieve ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look Death in the eye and to be greatful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Billions and Billions from the chapter "In the Valley of the Shadow", written mere months before cancer took one of the kindest, most brilliant and most inspirational beings starstuff ever had occasion to make. I still miss you Carl, I sincerely do.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
"History is full of people

"History is full of people who out of fear or ignorance or the lust for power have destroyed treasures of immeasurable value, which truly belong to all of us. We must not let it happen again." – Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Speaking on the destruction of the library at Alexandria.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

GodStoleMyFriends
GodStoleMyFriends's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The choice is with us

"The choice is with us still, but the civilization now in jeopardy is all humanity. As the ancient myth makers knew, we are children equally of the earth and the sky. In our tenure of this planet we've accumulated dangerous evolutionary baggage — propensities for aggression and ritual, submission to leaders, hostility to outsiders — all of which puts our survival in some doubt. But we've also acquired compassion for others, love for our children and desire to learn from history and experience, and a great soaring passionate intelligence — the clear tools for our continued survival and prosperity. Which aspects of our nature will prevail is uncertain, particularly when our visions and prospects are bound to one small part of the small planet Earth. But up there in the cosmos, an inescapable perspective awaits. National boundaries are not evident when we view the Earth from space. Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. There are not yet obvious signs of extraterrestial intelligence, and this makes us wonder whether civilizations like ours rush inevitably headlong to self-destruction. I dream about it, and sometimes they're bad dreams."-Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

NDNmatthew (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Sagan Quote

"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star-stuff. It's within us. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."  Nothing has changed my life, and outlook on it more than Carl Sagan.  I wish i would have had just one moment to be in his presence.  You're sorely missed.