Are we wasting our time arguing with DIEHARD Theists?

caligula
caligula's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are we wasting our time arguing with DIEHARD Theists?

Hello evreyone. I am new here and I have a question to ask the atheists. As atheists our time is precious since we know that our lives are finite. Do you think that using our limited time to argue with diehard theists is a waste of this priceless resource? In my opinion, a discussion is only worth having if the underlying goal is to reach a rational conclusion. Therefore shouldnt we have these discussions with those who also live their lives according to the principals of reason and logic. I am not saying that we shouldnt talk to theists. I am only suggesting that we focus more on preventative measures rather than a cure to the mental disorder. Please reply. I ask this question because I don't know if this is the best way to help our society. Thats right all you theists out there, I said those dreadful words. "I dont know".

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
I get my shits and giggles

I get my shits and giggles from annihilating theistic arguments. When I was younger and less wise, I got my ass handed to me in a few arguments, and it felt pretty bad. It was pretty obvious to me that I was wrong, but I refused to admit it openly, and it haunted me for a while, until I got the balls to admit to my opponents that I actually was wrong.

Now I have no trouble admitting I'm wrong. Hopefully some of the theists I encounter will have similar experiences.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
It isn't a waste of time if

It isn't a waste of time if people think about it. As for preventative measures I don't know. I mean it sounds like you're saying do something with children, but the theist talk to their kids too. If someone really doesn't want to listen or refuses to even consider the idea that their belief has a flaw then there isn't much that can be done to change their mind. However there are a ton of people who don't think about it, but keep doing all the church stuff and give the church cash and tell their kids to believe this is how the world should work. Really I don't see any other way to change things but bring the issue up.

caligula
caligula's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree that many people can

I agree that many people can be encouraged to "see the light" so we should try not to be too pesimistic. Its just that after reading some of the posts by a muslim theist on the thread titled "A Rational Basis for Believing in God" I wondered why many of you wasted so much time presenting rational arguments to an irrational person.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I think if he repeats

I think if he repeats himself enough will just post links to old posts...

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
For me, it is a sense of

For me, it is a sense of 'fighting the good fight' when I discuss/debate anything with a closed-minded individual.
I feel that the very epitome of open-mindedness is knowing when to walk away. If it becomes too repetitive then it is time wasted.
However, I meet MANY religious people that have NEVER! had their faith questioned. The same discussion that I had years ago is brand new to these people.

Knowing when someone will start thinking and quit praying is such an inexact science that you never know when one more little point might be the one thing that 'cures' their delusion.

Also, I do hope that my children will, one day, live in a world where reason defines their lives rather than someone else's dogma.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it is getting to be

I think it is getting to be a waste of time, particularly with the weirder ones. For instance, I live in an area where most of the radio stations are Christian. You know what that means. Crappy pop music part of the day, crazy preachers yelling the rest. I was hearing yet another moron complain about sex in popular culture, and I'm thinking, what planet are these people living on? You almost want to shoot yourself.

The very stringent theists have literally created a fantasy world inside their own heads, and they are never going to let go of it, because it is a pacifier and it keeps them insulated from all the scary crap that they don't understand. That's what religion is. It is a very elaborate series of safety-blanket daydreams.

You can't really corner a theist in an argument. They'll just make something up. You'll go through post after post of explaining to them why their god story makes no sense, and then they'll just pull a 'special plead.' "Ah, but god is different." "How?" "In a way that is beyond understanding." "Then how do you understand it?" (Head explodes)

I have vaguely looked into moving someplace where religion isn't that important, but I can't afford much.

So, we're screwed.