LonelyGirl15

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
LonelyGirl15

Okay, so I've been lurking on the LG15 message board. The religion discussions in there are BRUTAL. People are getting positively wrathful over fan speculation of a fictional girls religion..... Check it out.
Note: Please do not invade their forum, this is just something I'm fascinated by
For those of you who don't know what lonelygirl15 is, here's the partial wikipedia entry.

"lonelygirl15 is a fictional video blog that came to international attention via YouTube, a popular video sharing website. The central character is a YouTube user of the same name, although she is commonly known as Bree. The character achieved massive popularity with her series of videos, which acquired over 15 million cumulative views. But after viewers grew suspicious (see Initial speculation), lonelygirl15 was exposed as a fictitious character played by New Zealand actress Jessica Rose.

The central themes of their video blogs are:

* Unrequited love/romantic confusion - Bree is unsure of how to react when her friend Daniel confesses that he 'likes her'.
* Rebellion against parenting - Bree is homeschooled by parents who she implies are also strictly religious.
* Forbidden experimentation - her parents are apparently unaware of her video blogs.
* The Occult - Bree has a picture of Aleister Crowley in her bedroom, and she is involved in preparing for a 'ceremony'

There are also other recurring motifs in the videos. For example, the phrase "Proving Science Wrong" is repeated on many occasions, often in reference to her spirited science experiments with Daniel.

In the blog entry "Swimming," Bree refers to an old friend named Cassie. Since a second female character was listed in the project's initial casting call, the character is expected to appear at some point. Some videos called cassieiswatching have appeared on YouTube, however the lonelygirl15 creators claim to be unconnected.

In one episode, the family's religion is revealed as the Order of Denderah, and "Denderah" is one of the keyword tags on the blog. Bree is learning the secret language for an upcoming ceremony."

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Wow lonelygirl15 is getting

Wow lonelygirl15 is getting everywhere...

I remember on one vlog some was saying she might be atheist because of the picture in the background. I just pointed out that atheist tend to not worship things and moved on with my life.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dunno, It's kind of

I dunno, It's kind of getting interesting plot-wise. And that Jessica Rose girl certainly is adorable.

Incidentally, the pic was Alistair Crowley. Discussion of him is a big part of all the crazy shennanigans goin' on in their religion board right now.

ROTF

Voided
User is offlineOffline
The first video a saw of her

The first video a saw of her was something about proving science wrong. I was like "wow this is so dumb, this chick isn't going to be here long..."

Yeah I'm thinking I was wrong, see I thought dumb was a bad quality for a video...

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote:The first

Voiderest wrote:
The first video a saw of her was something about proving science wrong. I was like "wow this is so dumb, this chick isn't going to be here long..."

Yeah I'm thinking I was wrong, see I thought dumb was a bad quality for a video...

Well, I think her dumbness is kind of important to the plot. She goes along with her parents creepy religion and does whatever they want her to, without asking why. She's apparently homeschooled and is terribly ignorant and uncertain about the world outside her house. Only recently has she questioned her parents teachings... Anyway, argh I got sucked into the plot by accident, lol. Sorry to yammer. But I like what the story is saying about religion so far.

Although, I do see a LOT of dumb vlogs on youtube. With high ratings. And fanmail. Hmmm.....
You may have something there.... Laughing out loud

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Glamourkat, since you've

Glamourkat, since you've been following LonelyGirl, you will get quite a kick out of this one it's the "LonelyGirl Press Conference":

Our boy Brian Flemming even gets mentioned. For those not in the know, the stuffed animal has been featured in the LonelyGirl series

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Glamourkat,

Sapient wrote:
Glamourkat, since you've been following LonelyGirl, you will get quite a kick out of this one it's the "LonelyGirl Press Conference":

Our boy Brian Flemming even gets mentioned. For those not in the know, the stuffed animal has been featured in the LonelyGirl series

Cool, Sapient, I hadn't seen that yet. That was pretty funny. Neat stuff about Brian Flemming, too. Guess it helped drum up some more media attention on him. Awesome!
Thank you.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I wonder how someone got the

I wonder how someone got the idea that he was involved? I haven't been following him at all, but I could see that he would be into a lot of different things.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was so happy to find out

I was so happy to find out that she(Jessica) was actually 19 in real life.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
What were you thinking you

What were you thinking you were a dirty old man?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh nooo. I was thinking that

Oh nooo.
I was thinking that it was child abuse to keep her locked in her room.

I'm only 34, you whippersnapper. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.