I'm not the only atheist where I work!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm not the only atheist where I work!

I notice most of the people where I work are fairly religious - many are in recovery, for one reason. Well, last night a guy that usually works 2nd shift had signed up to work 3rd due to lack of coverage. I was reading Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion" (great book so far by the way.) He noticed and asked what it was. When I told him he asked if I agreed - I said yeah. He said he did too - "When you die you don't go anywhere." He didn't use the term "atheist" and had never read any freethought books. I showed him an issue of freethought today and recommended some of the books I have read - The Sam Harris books, Losing Faith in Faith and Robert Ingersoll. Hey, the more people who don't believe know about Freethought the better. Smiling

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am positive that the

I am positive that the percentage of atheists is larger than the polls show because many of us have to hide to keep our jobs and avoid harassment.
Ever have your car keyed? Or denied a promotion even when it was obvious your work is superior?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
No, but I don't go out of my

No, but I don't go out of my way to let people know.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote:I am positive

AiiA wrote:
I am positive that the percentage of atheists is larger than the polls show because many of us have to hide to keep our jobs and avoid harassment.
Ever have your car keyed? Or denied a promotion even when it was obvious your work is superior?

I think this depends on where you are from. I'm from the Boston area and have never had any problems. I have had a Darwin fish on my car for quite a while now and have never had anything negative happen towards my or my stuff because of my views.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've never had a problem

I've never had a problem either. I wear the many atheist T-shirts, have bumper stickers, etc and onlt get the occasional dirty looks and so forth.

Where I work (a school), there are a numbe rof atheists that I know of. For the most part, however, people are just not really interested in the subject. I'm the only active one I know of around here.

Shaun

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
ShaunPhilly wrote:I've never

ShaunPhilly wrote:
I've never had a problem either. I wear the many atheist T-shirts, have bumper stickers, etc and onlt get the occasional dirty looks and so forth.

Where I work (a school), there are a numbe rof atheists that I know of. For the most part, however, people are just not really interested in the subject. I'm the only active one I know of around here.

Shaun

I had a t-shirt that said "christianity is stupid. give up." My husband was wearing it once and almost got his ass kicked in Colorado Springs by these real nice, loving xtians. We had to retire it while we lived there. But I did see a kid probably around 16 wearing a t-shirt the other day (here in Oregon) that read "Jesus is a cunt" in huge white letters on the back. I thought he must have some huge cahones. Talk about being afraid to speak freely. Very Sad