pope's speech

reason_passion
Rational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
pope's speech

While much has been made concerning the Pope's inflammatory comments concerning Islam, other points are being ignored that should cause just as much concern. Granted, few people disagree with these other things so it's little wonder that they're getting less coverage, but I thought to bring up a quote from his speech and see what people thought here.

In the Western world it is widely held that only positivistic reason and the forms of philosophy based on it are universally valid. Yet the world's profoundly religious cultures see this exclusion of the divine from the universality of reason as an attack on their most profound convictions. A reason which is deaf to the divine and which relegates religion into the realm of subcultures is incapable of entering into the dialogue of cultures.

Notice especially the last sentence. As we, atheists and agnostics, do not agree with the ideas of religion being rational, we are accused of being anti-cultural. Seems that several of the people recently who have been writing us about our supposed dismissal of religious beliefs have an ally in the Pope.

Every one of your relationships to man and to nature must be a definite expression of your real, individual life corresponding to the object of your will. -Erich Fromm

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Damn, this pope sucks worse

Damn, this pope sucks worse than the last one.

photog
photog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not so Pope-ular now

Here is what I think about this Pope.....................

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline
I know it shouldn't be

I know it shouldn't be surprising that the islamic community is up in arms again, but maybe if some of them actually read their own religious texts they'd see that the pope was not giving opinion, he was giving facts. I think they have their towels wrapped too tight.
What would be nice is if this somehow sparks a lot of public discourse about the amount of violence called for in both the koran and the bible.

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com

reason_passion
Rational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
violence

applesforadam wrote:
What would be nice is if this somehow sparks a lot of public discourse about the amount of violence called for in both the koran and the bible.

Curiously, that's what many of the pope's cardinals are saying he was actually talking about, the problem of violence being used in the name of religion. This is rather amusing as his quote had nothing to do with religion per se, as it was only referring to islam and in addition, I don't see the pope at any time apologizing for the catholic church's efforts in handing over geneaological information to the nazi's so they could kill more jews, or the various wars in the middle ages including the crusades.

Every one of your relationships to man and to nature must be a definite expression of your real, individual life corresponding to the object of your will. -Erich Fromm