Why I hate religion

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Why I hate religion

I posted this on a few sites I am on:

People who see my posts often ask why I hate religion. here is why:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Problem. I would say

Quote:
Problem. I would say that you would probably do those things without a 'christ' to be an example. Would I be correct? Doesn't the idea that a man had to be killed for you to be good seem a bit ridiculous?

i will not speak for cp, who seems to have things well under control for themselves (herself? said husband..), but: that death was to make a point. on what level did jesus 'have to' die on the cross? to the level that the jews 'had to' sacrifice animals to attone for sins. allegory in action. demonstration of the pacifism and strength of the individual described in his three years of teaching.

Quote:
You have affiliated yourself with christians. Thus you are endorsing the agendas presented by its leaders and other supporters.

false. false false false false false. false. false. man. seriously. false. what a bizarre statement to even make....

Quote:
Likewise, we're not here to impose ANY belief structure upon you.

aside from Freethought, right? freethinkers....
seriously, no one else finds those words odd? freethought is not freedom of thought, and belief structure sits in every limiting idea.

Quote:
I'm confident that if the christians not in favor of some of the practices of their ideology were to speak out then it would make a greater difference in getting the bad things changed. Yet you present to us that 'these were done by people that weren't true christians'?

its not the 'practices of [our] ideology' that we would speak out against. for me, it is the way that the base of my ideology has been maligned for the gain of individuals and groups who desired to have and maintain power. that you cannot make this distinction, i assume, is a prime cause of the statement i just responded 'false' to (repeatedly).

if i may interpret the 'werent true christians' statement for you, i would tend to argue that they had more dominant agendas than the ones proposed by the christian philosophy. they had no interest in the (very obvious) tones of equality, peace, and sensibility that jesus taught. they wanted power, saw a dominant figure, and proceded to usurp.

Quote:
It isn't us that is causing them, it's the other way around while you attack us for being the way we are.
Honey, we was made to dislike religion. It took understanding those dislikes that caused us to hate it.

if you honestly believe that a belief in god is the thing that is _causing all of the harm you are thinking of then i have a bridge id like to sell you. no amount of destruction you could be describing could have been stopped by a lack of belief in god. power is power, and it will attempt dominance. i say it a million times: for atheists, you guys sure give god an awful lot of credit.

"In depriving myself of the acorns... what have we learned? Nothing! Not one of us has learned!
"Which isn't my point, but very well could have been."
— Ashley Raymond, Olympia, 1989

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
averyv wrote:p.s.

My POV is this, that the bible should not be Gods book. Anything that humans can invent should not be God breathed, or Gods word. Period.

Also, Christians do change denominations for different reasons, one being a want to be a truly biblical type Christian, and when that happens...suffering happens eventually. You have not been there averyv...

When a nice Christian converts a non-Christian to Christianity, or stokes the spiritual fires of a luke warm Christian, what garauntee do we have of what kind of Christian, the new convert will be later? None.

I love my parents and some of the other people at my church, they are some what liberal for Evangelicals....but they spread the disease and others may become sick from the disease...Christianity..

No. I think it is better that people use reason and empathy that is free of "God says". I will do what I can to fight it, whether that be deprogramming Christians to atheist, non-theist, or no holybooks. What ever it takes. I am anti-religion, but if in de-programming some people become atheists in the process I will not be sad about that. Not at all. Smiling

Theists like you are rare, so theists like you are irrelevant, to my anti-theism. Theism usually is more often than not "God says"

That is dangerous as history and the present proves.

Reddragon
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Hitler was

MattShizzle wrote:
Hitler was a Catholic. He spoke of continuing the work Jesus started when he talked about the persecution of Jews.

Ok I'm jumping in. This may have been resolved allready...

Who cares if Hitler was a Christian or not. The fact is that many people (weather Christian or not) do bad things and some in the name of religion. With or without religion these people would find some way to fulfill their evil desires. So blame the people instead of blaming religion in general. I'm not saying that there aren't any bad religions out there. I'm just saying that in this case it seems that you're blaming religion for things where the individual people themselves are the ones to blame.

BTW forgive me if used bad english, LoL

If I tell people the Gospel, it's not because I care about whether or not they go to heaven or hell. I do it because I honestly believe that this is God's will and purpose for my life... weeeeeeeee!!!

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
averyv

averyv wrote:

Quote:
You have affiliated yourself with christians. Thus you are endorsing the agendas presented by its leaders and other supporters.

false. false false false false false. false. false. man. seriously. false. what a bizarre statement to even make....

Yes, yes, yes. Simply Naysyaing is not an answer. You make a non-answer to darth-joshes statement.

The bible is the cornerstone of Christianity and it is where "God says" all Christians venerate that book ergo all Christians give that book power. All Christians use that book for authority in thier actions as Christians. Until ALL Christians can make the bible not teach intolerance and bigotry....faith is bigotry in and of itself...then yes ALL Christians are responsible for all the lousy interpretations that comes from the bible.

Since the bible is incoherent in regards love and tolerance, intolerance and bigotry it should not be considered relevant for today. It should not be Gods book. Yes ALL Christians are responsible for all that comes from Christianity.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reddragon wrote:MattShizzle

Reddragon wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
Hitler was a Catholic. He spoke of continuing the work Jesus started when he talked about the persecution of Jews.

Who cares if Hitler was a Christian or not. The fact is that many people (weather Christian or not) do bad things and some in the name of religion. With or without religion these people would find some way to fulfill their evil desires. So blame the people instead of blaming religion in general. I'm not saying that there aren't any bad religions out there. I'm just saying that in this case it seems that you're blaming religion for things where the individual people themselves are the ones to blame.

Because Christianity can be used to manipulate people. That is what hitler and the Church did during WW2. So religion has got to go.

You said "With or without religion these people would find some way to fulfill their evil desires. "
Not necessarily. Get rid of Faith and people are empowered to think and question. Getting rid of religion is getting rid of one more tool for manipulating people.

You said "So blame the people instead of blaming religion in general."
No. I would rather blame the few people responsilbe for the mass manipulation as well as the tool they used...which was Christianity. The manipulation must stop.

You said "I'm just saying that in this case it seems that you're blaming religion for things where the individual people themselves are the ones to blame"
Many of them were victims of manipulation. Poltics and ideologies can be questioned, where as religion it is discouraged...even today.

Religion is a tool for manipulation. Thinking and questioning should not be hindered at all and religion does hinder questioning and thinking. "God says" can even hyjack peoples natural conscience.

Here is where I lost Faith in Christ. Go into the forums there and debate. Some tough love.
http://www.evilbible.com/
Hitler Was a Christian
http://www.evilbible.com/hitler_was_christian.htm

Read your bible.
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm
http://web.biblebrowser.com/genesis/1-1.htm
http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/?action=getVersionInfo&vid=64

Reddragon
User is offlineOffline
AntiFaith wrote:Reddragon

AntiFaith wrote:
Reddragon wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

Because Christianity can be used to manipulate people. That is what hitler and the Church did during WW2. So religion has got to go.

Information can be used to manipulate people. This doesn't give us reason to get rid of the information. All it does is give us reason to encourage people to think for themselves.

Quote:

You said "With or without religion these people would find some way to fulfill their evil desires. "
Not necessarily.

These people would do whatever they can to get what they want, with or without religion. Even if we took away religion, there's nothing to stop them from creating their own religion and taking advantage innocent people who believe blindly.

Quote:

Get rid of Faith and people are empowered to think and question.

Faith does not hinder a person's ability to think or question. If you take away faith or religion, I think you would find that a lot of people would continue to take on a herdlike mentality.

Quote:

Getting rid of religion is getting rid of one more tool for manipulating people.

No. I would rather blame the few people responsilbe for the mass manipulation as well as the tool they used...which was Christianity. The manipulation must stop.

But tools are inanimate objects that can't be blamed nore held accountable. The only ones that should be blamed are those who make a consciouse descision to take up the tool to use it do wrong.

Quote:

You said "I'm just saying that in this case it seems that you're blaming religion for things where the individual people themselves are the ones to blame"
Many of them were victims of manipulation. Poltics and ideologies can be questioned, where as religion it is discouraged...even today.

This is where both atheists and theists should stand together, to encourage people to question religion as well as anything else. The problem is that not only are people not questioning religion. It's that their only information about religion is hear-say(sp). They heard it from someone else weather it be a preacher, priest, a friend, or some manipulater, instead of going directly to the source of their faith.

Quote:

Religion is a tool for manipulation. Thinking and questioning should not be hindered at all and religion does hinder questioning and thinking. "God says" can even hyjack peoples natural conscience.

I'm a Christian and I haven't seen nore heard of Christianity hindering someone from thinking or questioning. I have heard of religiouse people doing this. But again people are to blame and not religion.

I'll check this stuff out. But you have to understand that my belief in God is based on my own personal experiences with Him.

If I tell people the Gospel, it's not because I care about whether or not they go to heaven or hell. I do it because I honestly believe that this is God's will and purpose for my life... weeeeeeeee!!!

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is my post again. My

Here is my post again. My time is important so re-read it instead of dodging the problems I point out. I will ignore your post to me until you READ....ALL of what I posted.

Quote:
Because Christianity can be used to manipulate people. That is what hitler and the Church did during WW2. So RELIGION has got to go.

Not necessarily. Get rid of Faith and people are empowered to think and question. Getting rid of RELIGION is getting rid of ONE MORE TOOL for manipulating people.

Many of them were victims of manipulation. Poltics and ideologies can be questioned, where as RELIGION it is discouraged...even today.

RELIGION is a tool for manipulation. Thinking and questioning should not be hindered at all and RELIGION does hinder questioning and thinking. "God says" can even hyjack peoples natural conscience.

Here is where I lost Faith in Christ. Go into the forums there and debate. Some tough love.
http://www.evilbible.com/
Hitler Was a Christian
http://www.evilbible.com/hitler_was_christian.htm

Read your bible.
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm
http://web.biblebrowser.com/genesis/1-1.htm
http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/?action=getVersionInfo&vid=64

This is what the bible says about how Christians are to believe.
All Christians have Faith in their understanding about what all scripture says as well.
*Hebrews 11:1Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, proof of things not seen.
*Romans 8:24-25: For we were saved in hope, but hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for that which he sees? But if we hope for that which we don't see, we wait for it with patience.
*2 Corinthians 5:6-7 Therefore, we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord; for we ( ALL Christians) walk by faith, not by sight.
-----------

Faith is irrational as Faith is hope that is naked of evidences. According to scripture Faith is hoping for something blindly. To believe in something with out a reason ( blindly) is unreasonable. To believe without rational thought ( which is what Faith is -blind hope) is Irrational.
I plagiarized from todangst that I remembered reading when I was a theist.

Faith is the ultimate form of bigotry. Bigotry is discriminating for or against something irrationaly....

Get rid of religion and more people will be more open to questioning.....because Faith would be replaced by rational discrimination -REASON and EVIDENCES.

Things hoped for blindly is not evidence of anything aside from feelings about a storybook.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll analyze WHY I assert

I'll analyze WHY I assert that all of christendom is responsible for its adherents.

One example:
Pope John Paul II apologized for the catholic church's mistreatment of Galileo. (October 1992)

Did John Paul enact any of those atrocities himself? No.
Did anyone living when the apology was made have anything directly to do with Galileo's torture? No.
However, they and he felt responsible because they were affiliated with the same church.

Second reasoned analysis:
Here is one of my favorite 'old' arguments:
http://www.infidels.org/secular_web/feature/1999/apology.html

Third culminated theory:
Samuel Loveland developed an idea to keep all of christendom informed concerning problems and progress of the ideology. It was called the Christian Repository. Unfortunately we see that idea was thrown to the wayside long ago(160 yrs ago). His idea was bastardized into individual denominations having their own 'repositories of thought' and the words are still used today. However, I doubt that many have read them since most christians that we have encountered either ignore or simply don't read the whole KJV bible. Or they choose to make up their own brand because they can't stand another.

Now I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sick of apologies and would like some proactive results/progress being made in holding people accountable on Earth rather than waiting for their punishment in the afterlife. Otherwise, I am completely justified in my mind that christianity is an ideology to be hated because as a former christian, I understand the 'draw' of the drug called jesus. The very keen sense of righteousness that faith has in its wake exudes from every pore on the christian skin.

It's okay. If I'm wrong then 500 years from now an atheist can apologize for my actions. right?

Dammit. I used two metaphors in that last paragraph.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
ChristianPunk wrote:The

ChristianPunk wrote:
The lyrics in my sig refer to a song my husbands's punk band wrote. As for being Christian and Punk, I am both. I rise up against the wrongs and the injustice, I protest Bush and his regime, I even started a chapter of the World Cant Wait in the middle of the "bible belt" where anything that is not baptist is evil. True Christians, who are few and far between, do not need to conform. That which is needed comes naturally to me...for example...taking care of my family and friends, helping those who need it, respecting views that do not coexist with my own, supporting others in their endeavors etc. The way I see it, Christ died so that we can all have the freedom to choose, thats what it says anyways.

Modern punk seems less about anarchy, and more about respecting each other and standing up for what is right...this is what Anti-Flag confered at Warped Tour anyways.

The point is this, hate is rampant today, and I just dont see any reason to breed that hate. I respect your views, and I can only hope for reciprocation. Im not here to force a set of beliefs and rituals on you, Im simply trying to say that there are Christians out there that have read that one little line that says not to judge others. In today's world, that is the most important thing that should be followed.

~CP~

I own roughly 900-1000 records. (Not counting my CD collection). Half of those are punk. Not one in my glorious collection dignifies a religion. On the contrary, they do just the opposite. So you can say you are Christian AND a punk but it doesn't make it so. Just like you can say the bible is the word of god. There's no punk in it.

"That which is needed comes naturally to me..."

You admit it right here that you don't need Christianity.

BTW, I am not arguing this point, I am merely educating you. thumbs up

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
i am not responsible for any

i am not responsible for any person, any belief, any perspective that is not my own. to hold one arbitrary, totally maleable idea in common with me (i.e. belief in god, even jesus) is not in any way at all to associate me with that person. i have nothing to do with them, their perspective, their education, their feeling, desires, agenda, or any other ephimeral, limited point on the scatterplot that is experience. they are not my responsibility, i do not know them, and i claim neither to understand them as individuals nor how the arrived at their position. and specifically, very specifically, i do NOT claim them. and so i say:

Quote:
Quote:

i am a christian in the sense of 'little christ' and nothing more. i love jesus. i adore jesus and praise his being, facticity notwithstanding. i am no one but myself, and claim no responsibility for actions not taken directly by me, tho i accept my actions and their effects very directly.

i attempt to remain conscious of the after-effects of my actions (my use of money, my attention to individuals, etc) so as to maintain a justifiably removed position from any individual who would claim likeness to my stance in name alone. additionally, i would like to note, i am defending that name _against them. not for them.

Quote:
When a nice Christian converts a non-Christian to Christianity, or stokes the spiritual fires of a luke warm Christian, what garauntee do we have of what kind of Christian, the new convert will be later? None.

none at all, in fact. i have no desire to convert anyone to christianity. i have, in the past, been a catalyst for an individual eventually assuming the stance of a christian. i do not convert people. i do not associate myself with memes. (tho i recognize that, by the definition of a meme, i am associated with them) things such as these, from the base of religion or otherwise, undercut understanding for the more immediate result of personally desirable emotional reaction. memes are no more than a worthless illusion of a potentially valuable idea.

in typical life, and you must understand that this is not that, most people do not recognize my religious affiliations. i am an staunch individualist, and many have expressed surprise that i am not an atheist. i have no thought to this in one direction or another, tho i think it is worthwhile to our conversation

Quote:
Theists like you are rare, so theists like you are irrelevant, to my anti-theism. Theism usually is more often than not "God says"

your anti-theism, then, is not likely 'anti-theism' at all. the admission of "God says" from a source defined by humans ('a church' much more directly than 'the bible', at least in the modern sense) indicates an issue independent of (tho associatable with) theism. as previously stated, "God says" is terribly easy to put into terms of ANY power structure.

"In depriving myself of the acorns... what have we learned? Nothing! Not one of us has learned!

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
averyv

averyv wrote:

Quote:
AntiFaith :When a nice Christian converts a non-Christian to Christianity, or stokes the spiritual fires of a luke warm Christian, what garauntee do we have of what kind of Christian, the new convert will be later? None.

none at all, in fact. i have no desire to convert anyone to christianity.

I was pointing out certain problems with Christianity. More importanly the bible.

Keep this in mind so that you do not miss someones points or concerns averyv. Ecclesiastes 5:3 ..... Sad

Quote:
AntiFaith :Theists like you are rare, so theists like you are irrelevant, to my anti-theism. Theism usually is more often than not "God says"

averyv wrote:
your anti-theism, then, is not likely 'anti-theism' at all.

I try to plant seeds of doubt when it comes to God, but I will settle for no more "God says" from human beings. I am an anti-theist, but if I think atheism is too intimidating I will focus on debunking religions and proving that there is no way to know what God wants and that we should just worry about us. I still miss my concept of God sometimes....so I feel sorry for people that thier skydaddy is not real. Sometimes...

averyv wrote:
the admission of "God says" from a source defined by humans ('a church' much more directly than 'the bible', at least in the modern sense) indicates an issue independent of (tho associatable with) theism. as previously stated, "God says" is terribly easy to put into terms of ANY power structure.

You do not know squat about the bible. Or Jesus. Why don't you go to evil bible and debate without resorting to logical fallacies and dodges...I would be very intersted in how you demonstrate your knowlege of the bible ...with people that are very logical and who are Christian apostates...They focus on the bible over there.
RRS is anti-theism and so has to cover A LOT more than just one religion.
Quote:
"God says" is terribly easy to put into terms of ANY power structure."

God says has no effect on atheists and Free Thought or anti-theism is here to help with that. I agree that ,if possible, with a theist de-programing that idividual to atheist makes that person immune to ANY religion. Free Thought can help in encouraging questions -questioning authority. Free Thought can inspire a want to be aware of the problems you are worried about as far as poer structures.

There has never been an era where people, not just the elite, are free to encourage questioning and Free Thought. We have relatively easy access to information....unlike the past.

I think averyv, you need to look at history and compare to what we have now. We should take adavantage of our freedom while we still have it. Smiling

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
MarthaSplatterhead wrote: I

MarthaSplatterhead wrote:

I own roughly 900-1000 records. (Not counting my CD collection). Half of those are punk. Not one in my glorious collection dignifies a religion. On the contrary, they do just the opposite. So you can say you are Christian AND a punk but it doesn't make it so. Just like you can say the bible is the word of god. There's no punk in it.

Oh my. You instantly became my idol right there. Could I be allowed to flip through those records? Please? I love punk rock records.

ChristianPunk needs to go listen to GBH - Prayer of a realist Eye-wink
City baby attacked by rats is a masterpiece.

User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote: Could I be

KSMB wrote:

Could I be allowed to flip through those records? Please? I love punk rock records.

Sure how long will it take you to get to Oregon? Laughing out loud

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I own roughly 900-1000

Quote:

this is just the kind of closed-minded babble ive come to know and love from people who define punk on the lyrics of somebody else. say what you want about punk. your rules dont matter to me.

User is offlineOffline
averyv wrote:Quote:I own

averyv wrote:
Quote:

this is just the kind of closed-minded babble ive come to know and love from people who define punk on the lyrics of somebody else. say what you want about punk. your rules dont matter to me.

whatevs. There's still no punk in the bible.finger

User is offlineOffline
averyv wrote:Quote:I own

averyv wrote:
Quote:

What a hypocrit. You believe the words of somebody else AKA the Bible. I am not saying this is a rule btw. It is just a fact. Don't you remember what happened when xtianity tried to take over heavy metal? Let me remind you...Stryper-To Hell With the Devil. Was that metal to you? Ok then, I don't want to hear your babble.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Christian rock does pretty

Christian rock does pretty much suck ass. Actually, there's not "pretty much" in it. It totally sucks ass.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Punk is inferior to metal,

Punk is inferior to metal, anyway, though the Christophile pestilence infests it in some small doses.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

User is offlineOffline
Insidium Profundis

Insidium Profundis wrote:
Punk is inferior to metal, anyway, though the Christophile pestilence infests it in some small doses.

Haha. I used to say the same thing to my husband but I appreciate both now. Punk for it's political power and metal for it's rockability.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
MarthaSplatterhead

MarthaSplatterhead wrote:

Haha. I used to say the same thing to my husband but I appreciate both now. Punk for it's political power and metal for it's rockability.

If this is what you believe, you fundamentally misunderstand the philosophical, ideological, and aesthetic developments of metal since the emergence of black and death metal. I do not wish to derail this thread, however...

User is offlineOffline
I'll start a new thread

I'll start a new thread then, cupcake. Eye-wink

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
trevorus wrote:Again, I see

trevorus wrote:
Again, I see broad generalizations. That's what most atheists stand on in their arguments...

Ever hear of the fact that Ghandi hated black people? Yeah, it's true. So what?

But does that mean that everyone that likes Ghandi hates black people? Or that they even knew about Ghandi's racist tendencies? No.

I don't support the hating of anyone, because it's wrong. Just because a "Christian" does it does not make it right. Anyone that would force views on someone, or force that person to have to hide their views is evil. Anyone that hates people based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation is wrong. I don't care who you are. I don't hate atheists, or Jews, or Muslims, or people from Asia, Africa, Europe...

But then don't generalize that everyone doesn't hate these groups...

I seem to see a blame Christians viewpoint coming from you... And so be it. But people do evil things, they just use religion as an excuse. THAT is the problem, not Christianity.

I wish it were that easy. I dont think we'd have all this worldwide pissing contest between religions if it were merely an "excuse". People treat religion as if they were defending their mother being called a whore! It's that old neandrothal attitude of defending one's honor.

Religion needs to be treated as for what it is. It is a weapon and humans have always used it as a weapon.

I'd like to see the day when religion would be treated like a favorite sports star or favorite pop star. At worst they get trash talked but no one dies over it.

If you are saying that religion is used as an excuse then the only way it cant be used as an excuse is if it is not there. Baring genocide, which is sick anyway no matter what label it would be aimed at, the only way to end an "excuse" is to challenge people to think about what they believe through reason and critical thinking skills.

Christianity, Islam and Jewdaoism all make excuses as to why their super dad tells them they are intitled to something. Be it politics, or land. These people will kill over it, in the name of good vs evil. The evil one is always the other side and not their own.

Name me one religion in human history that has ever brought global peace? Thats the goal they all claim, but what they fail to tell you is that they want it on their terms where all others take a back seat.

So, show me since the start of Christianity it's exemplary perfect score on producing lasting peace? It is the same track record as Islam and Jewdaoism. Why? Because of the stupid and assinine idea of divine intitlement. Get rid of that attitude and maybe we could all get along.

BTW, In your sig

Quote:
Who is more irrational?A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?-Brad Stine

What you are being dishonest about is that there are two issues for the atheist to be offended at.

1. The believers behaivor based on mythology. If I prayed to a cactus and asked it to protect my beer making purple snarfwidget would you not think I am nuts? If I saught out leaders to sit in office who believed in the snarfwidget the way I do, wouldnt you find that offensive?

2. Yes, we also would be offended by God. IF WE ARE PRETENDING for the sake of argument that he existed. Yes I would be pissed and angrey at a being that pit us against each other on a house full of desease, war, famine, genocide and crime only to blame us for it.

If you were a kid and your dad left you in the hands of a child rapist, you confront him, he admits it and blames it on you, wouldnt you be pissed?

Again, two different issues.

1. The logic the theist uses to justify their belief.
2. Is a "what if god existed" cenerio.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

User is offlineOffline

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I wish it were that

Quote:
I wish it were that easy. I dont think we'd have all this worldwide pissing contest between religions if it were merely an "excuse". People treat religion as if they were defending their mother being called a whore! It's that old neandrothal attitude of defending one's honor.

'religion' is not the label for the root of this problem. statism is as much at fault for the general scenario as the posture of religious institutions. this has nothing to do with 'god' in absolute concept. this has to do, in my opinion, with institution taking control of such a construct. nationalism, of course, is a much more immediate cause of these 'pissing contests', but even more prevelant (and direct) is control of resource.

Quote:
Religion needs to be treated as for what it is. It is a weapon and humans have always used it as a weapon.

ok, first part: agree. treated as for what it is. every individual thing should be treated as for what it is. if it needed to be, it would die otherwise, which clearly isnt the case with religion, and therefore not the case at all.

as far as its inherency as a weapon: obviously false. at least, as i speak, i am neither in the category of 'using religion as a weapon' nor do i 'not maintain a religion'. i am neither a group nor an institution, of course, and so cannot speak for either, but your point lacks scope.

Quote:
I'd like to see the day when religion would be treated like a favorite sports star or favorite pop star. At worst they get trash talked but no one dies over it.

well, id more like to see a day when people didnt talk about things as inane as pop culture or national sports. id be more interested in a day when religion and philosophy were not considered so seperate.

and, of course, you could be of any philosophical mind you like, and people disagree and whatnot, but no one really cares once you leave the coffee shop. things as far reaching as politics should be relegated to absolute necessity and not given the oppurtunity to operate between such massively divisive issues.

Quote:
If you are saying that religion is used as an excuse then the only way it cant be used as an excuse is if it is not there.

could someone explain the difference between an 'excuse' and a 'reason' in this statement? religion may be used as a reason in personal discernment, and there is no excuse for barring an individual from that vantage.

Quote:
Baring genocide, which is sick anyway no matter what label it would be aimed at, the only way to end an "excuse" is to challenge people to think about what they believe through reason and critical thinking skills.

sure. absolutely, in fact. however, if they dont agree with you, for whatever reason, you cant get all pissy with them. people see the numbers different ways for a plethora of different reasons.

Quote:
Christianity, Islam and Jewdaoism all make excuses as to why their super dad tells them they are intitled to something.

ive never had the sense from my church that i was entitled to anything at all. i think a sense of entitlement is manufactured out of those religions, but i dont know how inherent it is.

btw, jewdaoism sounds like the awesomest religion ever. id love to hear more about it Eye-wink

Quote:
Be it politics, or land. These people will kill over it, in the name of good vs evil. The evil one is always the other side and not their own.

this, in my opinion, is an argument with a directionality problem. religion is not the primary cause. 'evil' is not the primary cause. the concept of the 'evil one' is not the primary cause. the 'other one', which is satisfied by any exclusive group, is a root issue. the scarcity of resource is a root issue as well. also to be considered are images of a 'best society', which are entirely fabricated.

on the level of the soldier, perhaps your assesment holds true. on the level of the general, i highly doubt it.

Quote:
Name me one religion in human history that has ever brought global peace? Thats the goal they all claim, but what they fail to tell you is that they want it on their terms where all others take a back seat.

they claim global peace? all religions claim global peace? i was unaware of that. and name me one thing at all thats brought global peace. and that is for the explicit reason that religion exists? i highly doubt it...

and yes, every institution pressing for any level of domination expects all others to take a back seat. the same is true with science, and unnecessarily, in terms of religion. people can only seem to keep one thing in mind at a time.

Quote:
So, show me since the start of Christianity it's exemplary perfect score on producing lasting peace? It is the same track record as Islam and Jewdaoism. Why? Because of the stupid and assinine idea of divine intitlement. Get rid of that attitude and maybe we could all get along.

again, im pretty sure neither a belief in god nor religion are the primary cause of overarching entitlement,tho the particular brand that you speak of ('divine intitlement') is affected by religion. in either case, religion is a branch of the harmful issue, not an inherent problem in its own right.

i have my religion, and i get along just fine with most. neither philosophy nor religion has ever been a factor with those who i do not get along, and i am fairly opinionated in both areas.

Quote:
What you are being dishonest about is that there are two issues for the atheist to be offended at.

1. The believers behaivor based on mythology. If I prayed to a cactus and asked it to protect my beer making purple snarfwidget would you not think I am nuts? If I saught out leaders to sit in office who believed in the snarfwidget the way I do, wouldnt you find that offensive?

i dont like your flippant invocation of insanity, and think that your offense at my belief is a little offensive in its own right.

i dont care if you pray to cacti, and i dont care what youi think of purple snarfwidgets, and i dont think much of leaders in the first place. now, if people are misappropriating funds for the sake of snarfwidgets, fund misappropriation should be stopped. not for the sake of a belief in snarfwidgets, but for the sake of the scarcity of resource.

Quote:
2. Yes, we also would be offended by God. IF WE ARE PRETENDING for the sake of argument that he existed. Yes I would be pissed and angrey at a being that pit us against each other on a house full of desease, war, famine, genocide and crime only to blame us for it.

so what are you pissed at instead?

i dont understand why humans would be immune to disease, or why a lack of disease (same with famine) would be a more appropriate existance for a god to bea part of. war, genocide, and crime are the faults of individuals whether there is a god or not.

Quote:
If you were a kid and your dad left you in the hands of a child rapist, you confront him, he admits it and blames it on you, wouldnt you be pissed?

this is both a strawman and a really stupid thing to say.

Quote:
Again, two different issues.

1. The logic the theist uses to justify their belief.
2. Is a "what if god existed" cenerio.

and, again, what i believe has no bearing on you. how we approach public policy is what matters, and should be dealt with, and there should be good education systems, and lots of other things that have nothing at all to do with religion and will probably never happen.

religion is a divisive non-issue, and fodder for consolidation of power when taken out of the hands of the individual or private group.

Reddragon
User is offlineOffline
Hello... AntiFaith

Hello...

AntiFaith wrote:
Here is my post again. My time is important so re-read it instead of dodging the problems I point out. I will ignore your post to me until you READ....ALL of what I posted.

I didn't dodge anything. You pointed religion out as being a problem that needed to be removed. I pointed out that religion isn't the problem, human nature is. Ok, we said more than that but I want to keep this short. I remember when they were arguing about gun laws in the US. One group said, "we need to get rid of guns because they kill people." The opposite said, "No guns don't kill people, people kill people and will do so with or without guns." So, with or with out religion there will be blind followers, there will be idiots, there will be manipulators who will find ways to take advantage of people's ignorance, and will create their own religion if they have to in order to do so.

Quote:

This is what the bible says about how Christians are to believe.
All Christians have Faith in their understanding about what all scripture says as well.
*Hebrews 11:1Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, proof of things not seen.

Ahhh, faith. But faith in what? What does the Bible tell us to have faith in except in the idea that Jesus died for our sins and came back to life? How does this have anything to do with religion hindering free thought? The only area where this would effect free thought is when dealing with God and Jesus. Beyond that we can think whatever we want. If a person lacks rational thought beyond the concept of God, Jesus, and biblical morals, it's that person's fault and not the fault of religion.

Quote:

*Romans 8:24-25: For we were saved in hope, but hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for that which he sees? But if we hope for that which we don't see, we wait for it with patience.

This is still faith in the idea that what Jesus did on the cross will save us, just like above. It doesn't leave any room for manipulation nore abuse.

Quote:

*2 Corinthians 5:6-7 Therefore, we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord; for we ( ALL Christians) walk by faith, not by sight.
-----------

Faith in what? Faith in the idea that Jesus died for our sins. There is no harm in this kind of faith.

Quote:

Faith is irrational as Faith is hope that is naked of evidences. According to scripture Faith is hoping for something blindly. To believe in something with out a reason ( blindly) is unreasonable. To believe without rational thought ( which is what Faith is -blind hope) is Irrational.
I plagiarized from todangst that I remembered reading when I was a theist.

Faith is the ultimate form of bigotry. Bigotry is discriminating for or against something irrationaly....

Get rid of religion and more people will be more open to questioning.....because Faith would be replaced by rational discrimination -REASON and EVIDENCES.

You're over generalising as though faith applies to everything. I agree that faith is irrational. But to me, faith in something so small as Jesus dieing on the cross for our sins doesn't cause any harm at all. It's as though I believe in the easter bunny or santa clause which shows how harmless it is. That's the point I'm trying to make now. That faith in Jesus is harmless. This isn't an atempt to convert you or anybody here. It's all IMHO.

Quote:

Things hoped for blindly is not evidence of anything aside from feelings about a storybook.

And yet you make a big deal about something so small. Really I don't understand why the Bible goes on and on about faith. In my life it's more like trust based on about 18 years of personal experiences. With every experience, belief and trust in the message of Jesus and God become stronger. It's kind of sad to have so much personal evidence but not be able to share it with people like you who want to see solid proofs before believing. You, and I guess most atheists, think I and others believe without reason. But we have our reasons. I'm not a blind follower who follows without questioning. For example. I question the nature of trueth. Can trueth be contrary to logic? I say yes it can when logic is flawed or when logic lacks the proper knowlege needed to come to the proper conclusion. I believe that we don't have the information needed to explain God in a way that makes since. But I believe that if people exist long enough, without killing eachother, that science will discover this information. Ok have to go. Keep in mind, all of this is IMOH. I'm not trying to force my beliefs on anybody. cya....

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
When religion is the primary

When religion is the primary reason for so many bad things, it is obvious that it is the problem. Do you honestly believe that if religion didn't exist that 9/11 would have still happened? Or that there would still be discrimination against women and homosexuals (which the Bible strongly supports!) ?

Reddragon
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:When

MattShizzle wrote:
When religion is the primary reason for so many bad things, it is obvious that it is the problem. Do you honestly believe that if religion didn't exist that 9/11 would have still happened? Or that there would still be discrimination against women and homosexuals (which the Bible strongly supports!) ?

That would be a big fat YES! Without religion people would find reasons to hate and discriminate (that rymes, hehehe...). Not only that but they would try to find ways to justify their attitudes. Hey, we have gange violence and racial hate, all without the aid of religion. Bleh, I got to go, they're kicking me out...

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
The point is that while

The point is that while there would be bad things regardless of religion, religion does cause some of the bad that exists in the world. Therefore, without religion, it would not exist.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reddragon wrote:MattShizzle

Reddragon wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

That would be a big fat YES! Without religion people would find reasons to hate and discriminate (that rymes, hehehe...). Not only that but they would try to find ways to justify their attitudes. Hey, we have gange violence and racial hate, all without the aid of religion. Bleh, I got to go, they're kicking me out...

Religion....the Christian religion comes from the bible also. I am also talking about the bible dear.

You did dodge and you make excuses for Christianities short commings by pointing out the short commings of human beings. The idea is that we try to improve -Reason & Empathy is how we learn from our mistakes and improve. Not Faith. Not the bible.Not religion. Faith is a double edged sword wielded by the blind.

Love can accomplish much, much more if she would stop cheating on Reason, with that loser Faith. Faith is what you know aint so, kind of like the idea of a perfect man aint so. "Perfect" is the opiated snake oil that the bibles writers brewed up.

"Perfect" is a pipe dream just like God and heaven. Reducing harm and increasing what is beneficial is worth while, but if you want to sell dope and make excuses "Without religion people would find reasons to hate and discriminate (that rymes, hehehe...). Not only that but they would try to find ways to justify their attitudes."
.......So what? Christianity IS NOT ok, Religion IS NOT ok.....the short commings of all of us poor slobs IS NOT ok.

We can make the world better than it is if we stop making lame ass excuses for our irrationality. ok.

There are things about me, you , EVERYBODY that is not ok, but we can all Reason together and make the world a better place despite the fact that humanity stumbles sometimes....

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:When religion is the

Quote:

it has been said before, but i would like to kick my own 'yay' into the pile. the thought that a belief in god is causing terrorism is as ridiculous as any publicly stated cause for terrorism that ive heard.

Quote:
The point is that while there would be bad things regardless of religion, religion does cause some of the bad that exists in the world. Therefore, without religion, it would not exist.

taking an arbitrary stance against one particular aspect of a problem does nothing for the solution, and, to the contrary, does quite a lot for convoluting the problem.

Quote:
You did dodge and you make excuses for Christianities short commings by pointing out the short commings of human beings.

this 'dodge' thing is getting old. the shortcomings of every theoretical system come from somewhere. theoretical christianity is perfect. so is theoretical communism. people (in large enough groups, given large enough incentive for dominance, other variables) screw it up.

Quote:
The idea is that we try to improve -Reason & Empathy is how we learn from our mistakes and improve.

the idea is that we try to understand. just like falling, you can only judge improvement from what you can see. if the concept is sustainability rather than and arbitrary directive of forward, time becomes much less of an object. literally and figuratively. learning from the mistakes isnt the goal, its just part of the game.

Quote:
Not Faith. Not the bible.Not religion. Faith is a double edged sword wielded by the blind.

i feel like i should salute.

do you have faith in anything, antifaith? if not, i would be truly fantastically amazed. faith is like anticipation of fact. truth override. you think something. maybe you get corrected, faith gets a little lost, finds a new home. "what do you mean newtonian physics doesnt describe reality!?"...that sort of thing?

faith is a tool that may be employed by anyone. it has been used poorly, it has been used well, and it has been mislabeled in both directions many many times. the concept of 'faith' covers a very very wide spectrum, and to categorically dismiss it as a concept is not terribly prudent.

the bible, i could agree, is a double edged sword weilded by the blind. but, in this, i recognize both the bad that it has caused and the positive value of it and the concepts within.

Quote:
There are things about me, you , EVERYBODY that is not ok, but we can all Reason together and make the world a better place despite the fact that humanity stumbles sometimes....

the concept or belief of god is immaterial in this statement. totally arbitrary. some who do believe in god are obstacles. the strong correlation that is being drawn is faulty.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
averyv : anti-faith :

Quote:

Quote:
averyv : it has been said before, but i would like to kick my own 'yay' into the pile. the thought that a belief in god is causing terrorism is as ridiculous as any publicly stated cause for terrorism that ive heard.

It was a God concept that gave a few men the courage and conviction to destroy MANY, MANY LIVES on 9/11 . The kind of theist you are is irrelevant, as you are a rare kind of theist...but...you do defend the awful God concepts right along with yours. You are a part of the problem averyv. Made your argument for your God yet averyv?
Quote:

Quote:
averyv : taking an arbitrary stance against one particular aspect of a problem does nothing for the solution, and, to the contrary, does quite a lot for convoluting the problem.

Arbitrary? Goodness mr averyv, Free Thought can help everyone to look at problems from many different angles. Get rid of God concepts and faith and the rest becomes even more easy to tacle, because ....we are all willing to be reasonable instead of acting on bigoted modes of believing which is what theistic faith is. I think you really do not know what you are talking about. I think most of what comes out of you is poor reasoning due to your attachment to theism...
Quote:
anti-faith :You did dodge and you make excuses for Christianities short commings by pointing out the short commings of human beings.

Quote:
averyv :this 'dodge' thing is getting old.

Well....if you are feeling your age, perhaps dear it would be best if you stopped dodging. From this thread at least I can see that you forgot all that you learned from other threads...
Quote:
anti-faith :You did dodge and you make excuses for Christianities short commings by pointing out the short commings of human beings.

Quote:
averyv :the shortcomings of every theoretical system come from somewhere. theoretical christianity is perfect. so is theoretical communism. people (in large enough groups, given large enough incentive for dominance, other variables) screw it up.

Please mr averyv stop making excuses for ridiculous and wreckless believing like... theistic faith. My points were that in sloppy and wreckless believing like.. theistic faith ...suffering and sometimes death happen as a result. God concepts are not theories hun...sorry. And I do agree that theoretical systems do come from somewhere...but theism smells very bad to people who try to be logical and practical...and sooo....if it smells bad I wonder where from the human being it cam from? I bet the sun doesn't shine on the place that theistic "theoretical systems" come from. *giggle*

Theism and theistic faith... are not theories averyv....
....care to demonstrate how they are theories mr averyv? Care to demonstrate how faith is the same as theistic faith? They are different.

With your tactics and defense of all God concepts you will make a full blown anti-theist out of me yet mr averyv I swear...

Quote:
anti-faith : The idea is that we try to improve -Reason & Empathy is how we learn from our mistakes and improve.

Quote:
averyv : the idea is that we try to understand.

Understanding and learning go hand in hand. Agreed. Smiling
averyv :just like falling, you can only judge improvement from what you can see.
Yes, and what we see with some critical thinking added in... is how we solve problems -not theistic faith. Not pretending that a God concept is a theoretical system is a step in the right direction. You do love to dress up your theism and theistic faith in...big words...in the attempt to make theistic faith a credible position....tsk tsk mr averyv.

Quote:
Averyv :if the concept is sustainability rather than an arbitrary directive of forward, time becomes much less of an object. literally and figuratively.

Its so easy to be deluded into thinking your actually saying something of substence, when your mind is clouded by...theistic faith. ...Oh my. Eye-wink
Quote:
averyv :learning from the mistakes isnt the goal, its just part of the game.

Well said averyv. I am glad to see you comming around to reason. Yes mr. averyv. Since God concepts that demand obediance to the very fallable, very bigoted and violent......
...."theoretical systems" Eye-wink ... of long dead primitives...we really should debunk theistic faith
and debunk holybooks. Yes, perfection isn't attainable for humanity, but trying to improve is do able. For the life of me dear I can't see why you just make excuses for sloppy and wreckless Eye-wink "theoretical systems"? I just don't get it? Are you sure your not a nihilist? Sometimes I have to wonder...it seems your mode of communication is nihilist in that the idea that we should try to use decent words that really describe what something really is, is lost on you sometimes. Theoretical systems indeed mr. avery. Too much brandy with your cigars dear? Drunk
Quote:
anti-faith : Not Faith. Not the bible.Not religion. Faith is a double edged sword wielded by the blind.

Quote:
averyv : i feel like i should salute.

That is probably because my rhetoric is reasonable as compared to your bare assertions, vaguness, equivocation and stawmans..
Yes mr averyv go ahead and salute my rhetoric as reasonable coz it is. Eat you heart out man of MANY equivocations. Smiling

Quote:
averyv :do you have faith in anything, antifaith? if not, i would be truly fantastically amazed. faith is like anticipation of fact. truth override. you think something. maybe you get corrected, faith gets a little lost, finds a new home. "what do you mean newtonian physics doesnt describe reality!?"...that sort of thing? faith is a tool that may be employed by anyone. it has been used poorly, it has been used well, and it has been mislabeled in both directions many many times. the concept of 'faith' covers a very very wide spectrum, and to categorically dismiss it as a concept is not terribly prudent.

averyv... If you are going to straw man me and equivocate sweety -you can just excuse yourself from the table and go to your room. k?

First off, I would love you to demonstrate how the faith you are describing is the same as theistic faith....which is what I was talking about....bible remember? I was addressing a Christian and so...you are indeed equivocating here averyv....I was talking to a Christian.

Second, even your brand of faith, when it comes to your God concept...your theism....is very irrational, I mean, you would rather make rebutals to me in disregard for what you have leaned in other threads rather than make your argument for your God....I think I can logically infer from that...that your theism is irrational too.

Go ahead mr averv.....demonstrate how your theistic faith is the same kind of faith that you imply that I reject? Yes I have faith in some things....but not the kind of faith you theists have in superstion or "God says" I call it confidence instead of faith. That is because I am talking about a specific kind of faith dear. We all ready covered that I believe....but you still want to equivocate. Sad

Quote:
averyv :the bible, i could agree, is a double edged sword weilded by the blind. but, in this, i recognize both the bad that it has caused and the positive value of it and the concepts within.

I suppose you think rape is ok so long as the rapist is good to his family, brushes his teeth, wears clean underwear, and maybe gives to charity that that excuses his actions? The bible teaches blind obediance to the Eye-wink "theoretical system" of those who the bible talks about. With faith there are some who are a problem. Since the bible is incoherent as to how God is to be obeyed....and since the bible gives mixes messages of love, hate, tolerance, intolerance, good advice, bad advice....well mr. averyv, I think it is clear that that book should be debunked.
Quote:
anti-faith :There are things about me, you , EVERYBODY that is not ok, but we can all Reason together and make the world a better place despite the fact that humanity stumbles sometimes....

Quote:
averyv : the concept or belief of god is immaterial in this statement. totally arbitrary. some who do believe in god are obstacles. the strong correlation that is being drawn is faulty.

Theistic faith is the antithesis to reason. To believe for no reason is to be unreasonable. Kind of like believing black folks are inferior is believing for no reason....just fear perhaps....kind of like the abrahamic Gods fuel belief through fear....

My point was that just because we are fallable and have flaws is no reason not to try and improve, through encouraging eachother to try to be reasonable. Irrational discrimination -as the bible teaches and that other holybooks teaches...other God concepts teaches....is not the way for humanity to improve. k?

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
theoretical

theoretical systems

Quote:
this 'dodge' thing is getting old. the shortcomings of every theoretical system come from somewhere. theoretical christianity is perfect. so is theoretical communism. people (in large enough groups, given large enough incentive for dominance, other variables) screw it up.

christianity describes a worldview. admittedly not in the same way that communism does, but it describes a mental model by which the experience of the individual should be compared. i find its tenants valuable, its philosophy appropriate, and in my own life, i have found that what i find in christianity holds true in the world at large, both in my personal microcosm and in the grander schemes of society and history.

it is in the sense of a 'mental model' that i mean the words 'theoretical system'.

theistic faith

theistic faith is not 'god says'. 'god says',as it turns out, is a very poor description for anything, no matter which side of the conversation who is on.

instead, ill say that theistic faith is 'faith in existance of a god with subsequent faith in all aspects that an individual in particular believes about that god (or gods)'.

my argument, whtever you said about my 'equivocating' aside, is that the worth of the individual's faith in the concept they hold is defined specifically to themselves. i, for instance, to my understanding of the makeup of things, the interaction of things, the placement of things, believe in a general order to what is. undefinable in totality, but evident through the persistance and predictablity of our environment. a 'template of intelligence', if you will. a quote taken from this video on creativity machines, discussed at another thread.

to that end, i have not completed my promised post, but it is in the works, and will be available soon enough. however, that video describes my position and gives a practical demonstration of why i think as i do.

to the harm that the belief in god is comiting on society

i just dont buy it. some churces: yes. some individuals: definitely. belief in god as inherent evil plague sitting over humanity? i just dont buy it. ive seen horrible things done, sure. ive seen horrible things done for power and control. my faith, my belief, my philosophy, while built on a belief in a godbeing, is in no danger of enacting overarching dictums forcing or even directly encouraging any particular belief... unlike your more demanding approach, which states that in order that i am up to reason-code, i must abandon my freedom of thought and immediately choose freethought as my new, more appropriate, mode of understanding.

additionally, the absense of a godbeing does not preclude either reason or a better mode of understanding. it also does nothing to stop overarching power structures. or even discourage them.

you made some comment or another about to believe for no reason is to be unreasonable. well, is experience a viable reason? what about understanding? should we divert all individual understanding to a public over-body for approval? i dont think so.

in either case, ive seen no evidence that correlates a belief in god to the detriment of a positive life, and no evidence that suggests that i should not believe in god aside from the thought of a 'positive life'. if you can present evidence, i would like to see it. otherwise, i will consider that you have simply miscategorized the issue and are on a well-intentioned witch hunt.

Quote:
Theistic faith is the antithesis to reason. To believe for no reason is to be unreasonable. Kind of like believing black folks are inferior is believing for no reason....just fear perhaps....kind of like the abrahamic Gods fuel belief through fear....

My point was that just because we are fallable and have flaws is no reason not to try and improve, through encouraging eachother to try to be reasonable. Irrational discrimination -as the bible teaches and that other holybooks teaches...other God concepts teaches....is not the way for humanity to improve. k?

fear is a reason, and unless you can define 'improvement' for me in some globally definable way, i dont think humanity can improve at all.

asking each other to be 'reasonable' sounds about as effective as each group laying forward their path to peace. unless, of course, we just agree to your terms... which im sure would be most agreeable to you.

anyway, the only improvement i could imagine at this point would be each of us learning to stay out of the other's more personal business, and developing a better understanding of how the metaphors an individual associates with reality affect their interaction with reality. maybe in this way some sort of actual reasonable solutions to actual issues may become known, rather than arbitrary fighting with a definite sense of 'right' despite a marked inability to know absolutely.

and by the way, you arent that clever, so stop being so condescending. i dont treat you like that.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
and by the way, you arent

Quote:
and by the way, you arent that clever, so stop being so condescending. i dont treat you like that.

Yea. You have never treated me like that. I am sorry .
I do not take back everything I said, ...but.. I do regret the way I said it to you after having thought about it. I am sorry averyv.

I will read what you have here and give you a thoughtful response this time.

I went to your Myspace, very nice ....but its not loud enough...just thought I'd tell you that.

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
thanks, i appreciate it.

Quote:
I do not take back everything I said, ...but.. I do regret the way I said it to you after having thought about it. I am sorry averyv.

thanks, i appreciate it. you made some good points.

Quote:
I went to your Myspace, very nice ....but its not loud enough...just thought I'd tell you that.

laptop microphones. whatchagonnado? Smiling

Reddragon
User is offlineOffline
AntiFaith wrote: ...

AntiFaith wrote:

Religion....the Christian religion comes from the bible also. I am also talking about the bible dear.

You did dodge and you make excuses for Christianities short commings by pointing out the short commings of human beings.

It may appear that I'm dodging or making excuses. But from my point of view, I don't see short commings in Christianity. So the only problems I can point out is with people.

Quote:

The idea is that we try to improve -Reason & Empathy is how we learn from our mistakes and improve. Not Faith.

I agree. What does faith that Jesus died for our sins have to do with improving? It neither helps nore hinders. So it realy has no place in such a discussion.

Quote:

Not the bible.Not religion.
Faith is a double edged sword wielded by the blind.
Love can accomplish much, much more if she would stop cheating on Reason, with that loser Faith.
Faith is what you know aint so, kind of like the idea of a perfect man aint so. "Perfect" is the opiated snake oil that the bibles writers brewed up.

"Perfect" is a pipe dream just like God and heaven. Reducing harm and increasing what is beneficial is worth while, but if you want to sell dope and make excuses "Without religion people would find reasons to hate and discriminate (that rymes, hehehe...). Not only that but they would try to find ways to justify their attitudes."
.......So what? Christianity IS NOT ok,

It wouldn't make sense for me to try to prove to you or anybody here that Christianity IS OK, if you don't believe in God in the first place. I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that. Laughing out loud

Quote:

Religion IS NOT ok.....the short commings of all of us poor slobs IS NOT ok.

We can make the world better than it is if we stop making lame ass excuses for our irrationality. ok.

I dissagree. One, it's impossible to get rid of all irrational behavior. And two, getting rid of religion wouldn't even make a small dent in the world's suffering.

Quote:

True, with or without religion. Religion, or at least Christianity, in no way hinders improvement.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I agree. What does

Quote:
I agree. What does faith that Jesus died for our sins have to do with improving? It neither helps nore hinders. So it realy has no place in such a discussion.

Quote:
t wouldn't make sense for me to try to prove to you or anybody here that Christianity IS OK, if you don't believe in God in the first place. I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

This weekend I will reply to both you Reddragon, and avery.

Want to make a wager Reddragon? I bet...that...in the end of our dialogues....you...a Christian...like many other Christians...will end up trying to justify slavery, rape, war, kiddnapping women for sex, and all sorts ot horrid things that we find in the bible that is either commanded by, condoned by, or done by.....your God. I think I can demonstrate that the bible has a little somthin' for almost everyone. It is no wonder that the Republicans love Christianity. Eye-wink

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Three very specific

Three very specific examples: 1. stem-cell research is literally being hindered by law-makers who do not know the first thing about biology, and instead refer to an idiotic, superstitious belief that is based in ignorance of basic human development.
2. The Catholic church continues to advocate an abstinence-only policy in AIDS-ridden African nations. They demonize condoms and refuse to properly inform people of their choices.
3. The abstinence-only sex education in America does not educate the children about sex, and is less effective than methods that describe sex from a more objective perspective.

Reddragon
User is offlineOffline
AntiFaith wrote:Quote:I

AntiFaith wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
t wouldn't make sense for me to try to prove to you or anybody here that Christianity IS OK, if you don't believe in God in the first place. I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

This weekend I will reply to both you Reddragon, and avery.

Want to make a wager Reddragon? I bet...that...in the end of our dialogues....you...a Christian...like many other Christians...will end up trying to justify slavery, rape, war, kiddnapping women for sex, and all sorts ot horrid things that we find in the bible that is either commanded by, condoned by, or done by.....your God. I think I can demonstrate that the bible has a little somthin' for almost everyone. It is no wonder that the Republicans love Christianity. Eye-wink

Ok but I'll admit right now that I'm ok with slavery. Details later, I guess. Just do me a favor. Don't drop a long laundry list on me all at once. Lets deal with each point one at a time. Ultimatly I expect us to disagree which is usual since Christians usualy see justification for texts where atheists see no justification.

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:stem-cell research is

Quote:
stem-cell research is literally being hindered by law-makers who do not know the first thing about biology, and instead refer to an idiotic, superstitious belief that is based in ignorance of basic human development.[/.quote]

i dont understand what place government has over scientific research. this doesnt strike me as a religious issue so much as one of organization.

i can see value in 'wisdom checks' such as these being performed in general, perhaps. an international body of scientists to reign over these sorts of things seems reasonable. maybe with the united nations. i dunno. but the ties of the current system seem faulty either way.

Quote:
2. The Catholic church continues to advocate an abstinence-only policy in AIDS-ridden African nations. They demonize condoms and refuse to properly inform people of their choices.

well, i dont know what to say about this. i cant very well stop them, but i agree their solutions are not exactly appropriate to the situation. i agree, this is a very good example of an organization in a dominant position giving very bad advice. theres not a lot of defense i would care to give to the catholic church, or any religious body who would attempt to swallow the individual the way the catholic church does.

Quote:
3. The abstinence-only sex education in America does not educate the children about sex, and is less effective than methods that describe sex from a more objective perspective.

i agree. our education system totally sucks. this is both a matter of public education and, again, organization. parents need to better understand sex education so they might make an informed decision on the subject. as it stands, i feel quite a lot of that particular debate is fueled through poor information from the media and government as much as religious bodies.

i feel that religious bodies need to be convinced that such a public education should make their message of abstinance more easily understood, as the individual they are talking to would actually understand the issues involved. currently, it is viewed as (and used as) a battle.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
averyv wrote:i dont

averyv wrote:
i dont understand what place government has over scientific research. this doesnt strike me as a religious issue so much as one of organization.

i can see value in 'wisdom checks' such as these being performed in general, perhaps. an international body of scientists to reign over these sorts of things seems reasonable. maybe with the united nations. i dunno. but the ties of the current system seem faulty either way.

First, I'd like to correct a misconception: this has nothing to do with government presiding or orchestrating scientific research; this has to do with a ban (it's a partial ban, but one that prohibits researchers from progressing from the original lines of stem cells) on a line of scientific research that is potentially the most promising in terms of pharmaceuticals for a large number of degenerative (and other) diseases. The reasoning behind this is based purely in "morality," a PR term thrown around by happy-go-lucky conservatives who don't know the difference between an embryo, a fetus, and a cell. This should have nothing to do with morality. By the way, the proposed method of extracting new stem cell lines would have been active only on embryos that were discarded anyway. This is not immoral, since a few cells (even with the potential to become human beings - something ALL our cells possess) are not a person.

Quote:
well, i dont know what to say about this. i cant very well stop them, but i agree their solutions are not exactly appropriate to the situation. i agree, this is a very good example of an organization in a dominant position giving very bad advice. theres not a lot of defense i would care to give to the catholic church, or any religious body who would attempt to swallow the individual the way the catholic church does.

If you agree with my point, just say so. You wrote several unnecessary lines of text that muddled your actual point (which I assume you do not wish to give up too readily). Anyway, if you agree with me on this point, there is no need to reply to this part.

Quote:
i agree. our education system totally sucks. this is both a matter of public education and, again, organization. parents need to better understand sex education so they might make an informed decision on the subject. as it stands, i feel quite a lot of that particular debate is fueled through poor information from the media and government as much as religious bodies.

i feel that religious bodies need to be convinced that such a public education should make their message of abstinance more easily understood, as the individual they are talking to would actually understand the issues involved. currently, it is viewed as (and used as) a battle.

What? What the hell do parents have to do with this? You are dodging and trying to avoid the issue. The point at hand is that thanks solely to religion, and "values," and "morality," children are informed that their innermost urges are forbidden and evil, and sex should be strictly a formal practice to produce offspring. This is detrimental to a child's psychology, and also does not properly inform the child of the risks of sex and how to go about alleviating them. It is also highly ineffective, and is correlated with increases in oral and anal sex (so as not to lose one's virginity). Stop muddling the issue please.

Do not bother to reply if all you have is empty rhetoric. Address the points I raise, and do so clearly.

averyv
averyv's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:First, I'd like to

Quote:
First, I'd like to correct a misconception: this has nothing to do with government presiding or orchestrating scientific research; this has to do with a ban

i dont understand how government has place to put something like that in place

Quote:
If you agree with my point, just say so. You wrote several unnecessary lines of text that muddled your actual point (which I assume you do not wish to give up too readily). Anyway, if you agree with me on this point, there is no need to reply to this part.

actually, they made my point. the action you spoke of is wrong, i agree, and said as much in my response. however, this is not an issue of 'religion' as a generality. this is a particular and particularly dominating organization, and so, i created a seperation. i dont agree with they way things get framed sometimes, so i set to re-frame them.

Quote:
What? What the hell do parents have to do with this?

parents have quite a voice in public education. if convincing parents of such a need in education is not first on the list of how-tos to fix the situation, then im not sure what is. if parent groups understand the need for a shift in curriculum, curriculum will shift. if this is not true, we are in a very unfortunate situation.

right now, parents are actively asking congress people to continue sex education in the abstinance only vein. so, i would respond, how does this not have anything to do with parents?

Quote:
The point at hand is that thanks solely to religion, and "values," and "morality," children are informed that their innermost urges are forbidden and evil, and sex should be strictly a formal practice to produce offspring.

no, the point at hand is what to teach in public school. the values taught by a family, whatever you may think about them, are up to the family. the facts taught in public school, however, should be an objective survey of the issue at hand, like you said. encouraging a seperation of roles, in my opinion, is a positive step toward a more appropriate public education.

Quote:
This is detrimental to a child's psychology, and also does not properly inform the child of the risks of sex and how to go about alleviating them. It is also highly ineffective, and is correlated with increases in oral and anal sex (so as not to lose one's virginity).

as i said, i agree that a more objective education hsould be had from a public, presumably objective, institution

Quote:
Stop muddling the issue please.

stop oversimplifying the dynamic of the issue. you are not an or the authority on these matters any more than i, and i am no more interested in dealing strictly in your terms than you are in mine.

Quote:
Do not bother to reply if all you have is empty rhetoric. Address the points I raise, and do so clearly.

reply is no bother. i wouldnt do it at all if it were.

Reddragon
User is offlineOffline
Insidium Profundis

What? What the hell do parents have to do with this? You are dodging and trying to avoid the issue. The point at hand is that thanks solely to religion, and "values," and "morality," children are informed that their innermost urges are forbidden and evil, and sex should be strictly a formal practice to produce offspring.

I just want to jump in and say that there's a big difference between what religion says and what religiouse people say. So when you're dealing with a topic like this you have to distinguish between the two.

My Bible doesn't teach me that my innermost urges are forbidden and evil. Nore do I see anywhere that says that sex is strictly for producing offspring. So we can't point the finger at Christianity(I can't defend other religions here). We have to point the finger at people who call themselves Christians. This means that where you said, "religion, and "values," and "morality" it should be changed to "religiouse people, and their values and their morality". You have to remember that there are two standards when dealing with religion: 1. the standards of the religion, and 2. the standards of the people who follow the religion. In an ideal world the two standards should be the same. But in the real world many times they are not.

Quote:

This is detrimental to a child's psychology, and also does not properly inform the child of the risks of sex and how to go about alleviating them. It is also highly ineffective, and is correlated with increases in oral and anal sex (so as not to lose one's virginity). Stop muddling the issue please.

I'm noticing how you guys tend to accuse Christians of dodging or muddling or avoiding issues. Personaly I just don't see it(dodging, etc.) happening even though I've been accused. I just assume that this is the result of two people seeing the same thing from different points of view. My advice is don't accuse the person unless you're sure the person is guilty.

User is offlineOffline
"weeeeeeeee!!!" ::

"weeeeeeeee!!!" :ROTF:

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought perhaps I might

I thought perhaps I might *bump* this topic since it is relevant to other topics as of late.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I've been hearing this

I've been hearing this mantra from razorphreak. “God is great, but man gets things wrong.” It's first up to theists to prove that “god” exists before that distinction can be meaningful (”faith” is not an answer, it's sidestepping the demand for proof). Secondly, there would need to be a religious text that requires no subjective interpretation to understand the “will of god” or a definitive interpretation of existing texts. Unless this happens, all interpretations of religious rules are subjective and all rely entirely on an unjustified assumption.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Can a mod resize the image

Can a mod resize the image of the etching? It's throwing the formatting of the page off.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
trevorus wrote: Apokalipse

trevorus wrote:
Apokalipse wrote:
Quote:
Again, I see broad generalizations. That's what most atheists stand on in their arguments...
you're trying to make a generalisastion about how most atheists argue. in reality, there is a very broad range of arguments
Good circular reasoning. I said most. That speaks to my experience, and has not proven otherwise debating with you. Not all argue like that, though. If I said "all," that's a broad generalization. But I didn't. So, come on. You can do better than that!
How is it circular?

I pointed out what you were doing, then pointed out a fact which contradicts your view.

And yes, you were generalising about atheists. Even the word "most" has this effect.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Can a mod

magilum wrote:
Can a mod resize the image of the etching? It's throwing the formatting of the page off.

I thought the same thing.  Weird, though.  The "Edit" function doesn't show up on this thread so I am unable to fix it.

Sorry! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
cluster of cells

That cluster of cells, if left to develop, becomes a functional human being. If one wants to argue when something becomes a life, one could also argue the validity of an adult's life. Then murder becomes arguable and justifiable.

A cluster of cells can become,  bubonic pleague,   A cluster of cells can become,  full blown AIDS.   A cluster of cells can become,  A.Hitler,   A. Eienstein, A.Smith, A.Jones,   etc.......

That argument is has old as the hills and it resolves nothing.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?