Is this site hypocritical?

skiminal
User is offlineOffline
Is this site hypocritical?

I'm in fear that this site may be becoming like everything it's against. I found a picture of the things you're against (can't find it anymore) and it said things such as religion, the beliefe that the holocaust didn't happen, and agnosticism. When I read that I found it not very different from a Christian saying "You can't believe in anything but what I believe in."
I consider myself to be agnostic in the sense that I'm undecided on my views of religion or the lack there of. I know you guys like to call yourselves Freethinkers, but how is trying to destroy every single different belief than your's freethinking? How is different than any other religion?
You may make the claim "Because we're right." But isn't that the exact claim a religious person would make? I mean, everyone thinks they're right. I'm just saying that from what I've seen of this site so far it really looks a lot like Christianity without God.

I do commend this "Killing them softly" forum though. Wish they had this on every forum.

I dunno, I'm just wanting you to be honest with yourself and consider what I'm saying. This is a smart community, I don't want to see it go corrupt.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
elnathan

elnathan wrote:
Whoa….sorry…wait a minute! I think I may be onto something. While waiting for the video to become playable—having to install QuickTime (three times) just to watch it, I think I may have come up with something that can explain the problem I see we are having here.

It seems even more likely given that evidently, I am slower about reading and writing than some may be. But then it occurred to me—while thinking about it, that some people, when they read, speed read, they often skip through the actual sentences, and just pick out the important words in the sentence. Or skip through descriptive and insightful text.

That led me to further thoughts about the reader, and their perspective. What is it that could cause such misunderstanding and strife. That thought, brought back the memory of composition class, regarding the tone, perspective, and subjective the reader often brings into the writing, For instance, if the reader is in a bad mood and feeling rushed they may well read a more negative understanding than they would if they were more relaxed and in a better mood.

Somehow that conjured an image of eyeglasses, and the impact they have on the reader. That got me to thinking that if the reader (in this case Sapient and darth_josh) put on their reading glasses, that focus on the perspective with arrogance and bigotry, then it stands to reason that it would be misread. If it were skimmed through, then it becomes even more clear how I could have been so misunderstood regarding the points I was trying to make, which are obviously very different than the ones that were apparently perceived.

I don’t know really.

Ironically I can tend to skim through posts, but have been reading yours twice before I hit "quote" and then respond while reading a third time.

Quote:
I am grasping at straws at this point...

That started a long time ago.

Quote:
I really don’t remember trying to piss anyone off. I am not sure why it has become such a big deal.

It's become a big deal because you keep asserting with certainty that this site is hypocritical and yet you haven't been able to prove it. You have however proven you yourself are a hypocrite, not that I care, merely more irony.

Quote:
I still haven’t gotten a straight answer as to why you are compelled to combat the majority of the things I say, and you seem to want to fight about it; especially being that it only minor points you continue to repeat.

You've got some nerve saying that. You have any idea how many points I've made in the last two posts that you've dodged? I'd gather at least 10. How many have I dodged? I'd bet NONE.

Quote:
Then, even they get blown totally out of proportion and going even farther off topic; all the while, completely ignoring the major points with blatancy refusing to discuss them when presented.

Bullshit. They've been discussed.

Quote:
Why aren’t you able to, or choose not to, address the important aspects of the discussion and get off the little shit?

Point out all of the important aspects that you don't think have been addressed. They're simply not there, but go ahead and do it.

Quote:
PLAY VIDEO:
Wow…I liked that video! I really liked it when the good doctor got so flustered that I thought he was going to snap (yes, I do like that word, now). The ending was interesting. How handy the tape and mic was still rolling, but dr. didn’t allow us to hear what was actually said; pretty convenient in my perception of accurate documentaries. I thought pastor Ted was going to loose it, but it was noteworthy that he actually did keep his cool, while the other dude was….man… did you see those facial features, the eye blinking, the rapid breathing, swallowing, the flushed skin. Man, the good doctor was about to loose it.

You watch a 1.5 hour movie on religion being the root of all evil and your commentary is a total of one paragraph representing the facial features of someone for 15 seconds while they dealt with one of the more "evil" and ignorant/dishonest people in America? That look on the face of Dawkins was the look of amazement at just how fucking dumb some people are when defending their faith.

DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR?:

"...get blown totally out of proportion and going even farther off topic; all the while, completely ignoring the major points with blatancy refusing to discuss them when presented."

Jawdropping!

Quote:
Thanks again, for the link, by the way.
--just a little fyi about the pastor. He's not real "main-stream" in the church circles, but he did represent well.

Main stream is all relative. He's probably one of the top ten most well known Pastors in the US. His Church is likely the second largest and well known behind Falwell.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This site is not

This site is not hypocritical. It has vision that theism doesn't. Secularists can be theists or atheists. As an atheist you should know that you have theistic friends and loved ones and co-workers that you get along with and respect as individuals.

However, respecting a person as a whole is not the same as respecting a claim on a specific issue. If I claim that I have a purple snarfwidget living under my bed, do you merely accept that and respect it, or do you ask for evidence and challenge me to rethink my claim. While you may respect the individual you are not always going to agree with everything they claim nor should you be required to respect it without evidence. The person and the claim are separate issues.

Sites like this are not out to commit genocide in the name of atheism. It does have an agenda, but it is not one of hate and bigotry. The anger expressed here is at people of all labels making unfounded claims. We wouldn't feel the need for sites like this if we didn't feel that religions are having a negative affect on politics and the global community.

Gravity has no agenda. Religion is far to much in the world a political and war tool to rally the masses and pit human against human.

I do think we have the right to challenge people on what they believe. I think we have a duty to our fellow humans to critically analyze at a minimum, the overbearing role religion plays on governments. The survival of humanity depends on people saying "Stop your bloody cheer leading"

It is because of the behavior of Muslims in the Middle East, and the denial of Christian theocracies of the past, that this division remains.

To say that religious politicking in the west is civil makes it OK, is a huge mistake and will lead Christians to the same barbaric acts they accuse the East of.

So if you want to accuse this site of being angry, you'd be right. If you want to accuse this site of being hateful, you'd be right, but not for the reasons you think.

Reason is with this site. We know that religion is not going away. We know that it would be sick and inhumane to have a forceful jihad ourselves. That is not what we are about.

This site and sites like it are about giving humanity a verbal smack in the face before it is too late for all of us. We see religion much like being in a passenger seat when the driver is about to run a red light and we shout "STOP!"

No one here is out to oppress anyone, but we certainly do need to stop all religions from becoming cheer leading clubs where everyone kills and dies for their club based on ancient writings.

So yes, we are angry. But it is because we see the potential of humanity getting along being distracted by religious politicking and waring when we could be as a species be taking care of disease and famine and stopping genocide.

The Middle East is bent on making Allah the god of the world. But the west with Christianity, especially in America intends on doing the same with Christianity. Both are foaming at the mouth like rabid dogs at the thought of global dominance. They simply have different tactics. Both do want peace, but peace through dominance.

Make no mistake about it though, there people of all labels both atheist and theist that are concerned with the global sky daddy dick measuring contest. So this anger and frustration toward humanities religious division is not a product of an atheist jihad nor is it limited to atheists.

If you are uncomfortable with the god cop bad cop scenario you see here, that's fine. But back it up with suggestions, get out there and do something yourself. But complaining about your image of this site is truly unfounded and misses the point of what is done here.

If theists want to prove to us that they arent out to oppress us and that all humans should have equal rights, then they need to face the fact that our governments are not owned by one deity. Again, plenty of theists would agree with that.

I see nothing wrong with saying, "Human flesh does not survive rigor mortis". Ignoring this is what it takes to believe in the death of Jesus as described by the bible. If religion and government were not mixing to the extent it has been, especially recently, and this were left up to debate outside government institutions, I wouldn't be so angry or worried.

But do not assume because I or anyone here exhibits frustration or anger toward religious behavior that somehow we assume that everyone in every religion agrees with a goal of global and political dominance. There are Christians, Muslims Jews and atheists that see what this site sees, even if they don't agree with us on the existence of a deity. There are people in theism just as concerned.

Most of us here can attest to theist friends and family who are capable of accepting us as true equals and are willing to engage us in debate without assuming that we are out to oppress them.

Do I want to see the end of religion? YES, but not by oppressive genocidal or political tactics. But through use of debate and free inquiry and objective testing outside of government.

I am rational enough to know what far to many theists of all labels cannot see. You cant expect people to follow you by use of political force. It never works because once the oppressed becomes the oppressor. I don't think anyone here is out to oppress anyone nor should they be.

So please refrain from making assumptions about what the intent of this site is. It is not oppressing every religious person. It is criticism of outrageous magical claims. It is also going after divisive fundies who have a totalitarian view of the world, be it Christian or Muslim and everyone of every label should be concerned with "My way or the highway" attitude that both Christians and Muslims have in their midst.

That is my rant and I will not back off of it. If those in theism want to prove to me that it is really about peace, then those in all camps need to stop religious funding in politics and face their own fears and bigotry of others and stop demanding that the rest of the world be a clone of them.

It does piss me off the way some in theism, far too many in my estimation use religion as a political and warfare too to achieve dominance, regardless of tactic. Humanity only has one planet to live on and for the species to survive we need to get our priorities straight. Christianity and Islam do not have enough numbers within these camps as of yet, to promote a "live and let live" attitude. And both have the selfish self interest in spreading, either through warfare or political deck stacking. Again, that is not saying all people within theism take this view.

There is more and more division amongst different religion and in America we are becoming a theocratic 1984 where Jesus is Big Brother which will, in the end lead us here to the same barbaric acts America says it is fighting in the east.

Our goal is not to wipe out religion by genocide or force, but to move humanity at a minimum, to the point where self examination and critical thought replaces "I have project myself on others otherwise I cannot validate what I believe".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Bullshit. They've

Quote:

I think you meant “dismissed.” Look at the militant antitheist. You attacked and side tracked on the use of the word militant, and totally dismissed the fact that it describes RRS very accurately. Re-qualifying the terms is not really addressing the subject. Off-handedly denying they apply is even more evasive.
Quote:

You watch a 1.5 hour movie on religion being the root of all evil and your commentary is a total of one paragraph representing the facial features of someone for 15 seconds while they dealt with one of the more "evil" and ignorant/dishonest people in America?

Actually, I was referring to the 4.5 min ditty by Dawkins. I believe I also mentioned the edited ending, which pretty much put the lid on it. The look on Dawkins face was not amazement, it was much more like fear. He looked like he was about to run from the room. I think pastor Ted shut him down quite effectively. And this is your poster boy? He was left speechless, and had to make up a dramatic ending to save face. His appearance in the other video is pretty funny too. I laughed out loud at his comment about the lunatic creationists.

Miller’s video was pretty enlightening too. Boring, slow moving, and more of a vehicle film than a documentary, but I found it quite informative. Now I see where you guys get some of your rhetoric. I mean some of the stuff is almost word for word what I have heard here. Do you guys (RRS) have to memorize that stuff to get on the squad?  Have you heard of plagiarism?

Quote:

Sites like this are not out to commit genocide in the name of atheism.

I would have sworn that I had heard differently here. I seem to remember at least one person claiming they would like to wipe religion from the face of the earth?

Quote:

No one here is out to oppress anyone, but we certainly do need to stop all religions from becoming cheer leading clubs where everyone kills and dies for their club based on ancient writings.

If you are referring to radical Muslims, then I can agree with that. But, as I understand it, most Christian religions are based on passivism. I really don’t see even Jerry Falwell encouraging people to join the army and kill people.
Quote:

The Middle East is bent on making Allah the god of the world.

I don’t think even bin Laden is looking for global dominance. I doubt he wants to rule the world. He just wants America to quit fucking shit up. He wants to be left alone, and the infidels removed from his country(ies).
Quote:

But the west with Christianity, especially in America intends on doing the same with Christianity. Both are foaming at the mouth like rabid dogs at the thought of global dominance.

Bush may be foaming at the mouth for global dominance and claim his religion tells him he is right, but that is not the same thing as Christianity seeking dominance. I am not sure how you get such a paranoid delusion. Bush may fight—as others have in the past—under the banner of Christianity, but that doesn’t mean that fight is ordained by God. I am not sure how people conceive that religion wants to dominate the world. Even the Roman Catholic Church doesn’t condone war. They may have the world bank, and may be very influential in global politics, but I doubt they are the ones telling them to fight wars for it. But if you see the RCC as a representation of the Christian religion, then I can better understand how you may perceive such an attitude. I would bet big money that Pastor Ted isn’t looking for world dominance.

Quote:

It does piss me off the way some in theism, far too many in my estimation use religion as a political and warfare too to achieve dominance, regardless of tactic.

In my opinion, Christians should not be concerned about politics and government. Those are separate entities that have little or no value in religious faith. No where in the Bible does it indicate that Christians should strive to be rulers, or governors, or politicians to change the laws we live under. We are to follow the laws that are set in place, not to try and change them. There are far too many laws as it is!

Quote:

There is more and more division amongst different religion and in America we are becoming a theocratic 1984 where Jesus is Big Brother which will, in the end lead us here to the same barbaric acts America says it is fighting in the east.

Ahhh…now I am starting to get it (not really, I have known for sometime). You have a skewed perception of what Jesus is all about. This would be understandable given that you (your side) seems to claim He isn’t real because we can’t find his birth certificate. The 1984 scenario you entertain is unrealistic also. Jesus doesn’t fit into Orwell’s vision in that sense, at all. You don’t seem to know what you are talking about here when referring to the attitude of Jesus. Granted, that may be your perception, and in light of that, it can’t be exposed as a falsehood. But it is way off base from the reality of His purpose. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to explain it to you now.

See…this has gotten even farther off track! Of course, I am just as guilty as you for being lead astray. I find it very ironic that the more you claim to be so different from theists, the more you show through your responses, actions and behaviors that you are very similar to those behaviors, you claim to be against. The sad thing is, you can’t see it, and it is right there in front of your face right now!

I have wasted enough time for today. Maybe later?

In intellectual matters you can think things out, but in spiritual matters you will only think yourself into further wandering thoughts and more confusion. --Oswald Chambers

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
elnathan

elnathan wrote:
Quote:

I think you meant “dismissed.”

No, I meant discussed.

Quote:
Look at the militant antitheist. You attacked and side tracked on the use of the word militant, and totally dismissed the fact that it describes RRS very accurately.

You didn't refute or even respond to the points I made. YOU DISMISSED THEM. I ADDRESSED THEM.

Quote:
Re-qualifying the terms is not really addressing the subject.

I didn't re-qualify, I showed the definition.

Quote:
Off-handedly denying they apply is even more evasive.

Show me where I denied they apply. I didn't. I showed you why you were muddying the waters by using the term. Miltant generally refers to acts of violence, you're simply choosing a word meant to "brainwash" (by definition) the reader into believing we're violent, when we're not.

Quote:
Quote:
You watch a 1.5 hour movie on religion being the root of all evil and your commentary is a total of one paragraph representing the facial features of someone for 15 seconds while they dealt with one of the more "evil" and ignorant/dishonest people in America?

Actually, I was referring to the 4.5 min ditty by Dawkins. I believe I also mentioned the edited ending, which pretty much put the lid on it.

Notice you just dodged the overall issue again, selectively removed my quote on it, in which I destroyed your shit argument on me not seeing the big picture, while it was you yourself doing it.

You embody hypocrisy and dishonesty every step of the way, it's no wonder you so fervently need to prove that we who hold the truthiness high ground are hypocritical.

Quote:
The look on Dawkins face was not amazement, it was much more like fear.

Fear that he is linked biologically to such stupidity. I have the same fear about my relation to you.

Quote:
He looked like he was about to run from the room.

He should've. In the presence of such ignorance he risks running the chance of some of Pastor Teds moronicism wearing off on him.

Quote:
I think pastor Ted shut him down quite effectively.

And you want to hang out in our politics forum? Hell no. I'm laying my foot down now, you are welcome in this thread, and you are welcome in any atheist vs. theist thread. You're viewpoint which you are incapable of defending is not welcome where actual intellectuals are discussing politics or anything else. You're lucky you're still even allowed to post here after I've exposed your dishonest tactics in every post you've made.

Feel free to actually defend the claim that Pastor Ted "shut him down." Prove it.

Quote:
And this is your poster boy?

Feel free to show where anyone said that.

Quote:
He was left speechless, and had to make up a dramatic ending to save face.

He didn't need to speak, it was overtly obvious to any informed person that Pastor Ted was representive of an extremely ignorant position. One which you seem to embrace, which sheds some light on your own inability to grasp the concepts we've been discussing.

Quote:
His appearance in the other video is pretty funny too. I laughed out loud at his comment about the lunatic creationists.

Me too. Dawkins is funny the way he treats creationists like the lunatics they deserve to be treated as. Oh wait... you meant.... lol... (that was a laugh at YOU)

Quote:
Now I see where you guys get some of your rhetoric. I mean some of the stuff is almost word for word what I have heard here. Do you guys (RRS) have to memorize that stuff to get on the squad?  Have you heard of plagiarism?

Keep grasping at straws. Anyone who embraces science and positions that can be verified and tested are going to eventually come to the exact same conclusions. This is the power of science, this is where religion fails. If Dawkins and I both commit to testing something scientifically without ever communicating with each other, we will come to the exact same conclusion, likely expressing much of it word for word. These same rules apply to logic and rational thought. If I embrace good logic as does Dawkins we will come to the same conclusions independently of each other, and neither of us would ever be dumb enough to accuse the other of plagiarising the others thoughts.

If you would like to listen to my interview with Sam Harris, a free show playable here, you will hear me talk about how refreshing it is that both Sam and I have many of the same conclusions about religion without have ever knowing each other. I was alerted to Sams and Dawkins work because I already held the exact same viewpoints as them, without ever knowing them. I just read Sams new book and learned nothing new, I could've written the book myself, it was virtually everything I would have said, had I decided to write a book of that sort.

Plagiarism by the way is a form of dishonesty, something that you excel at, so once again please stop projecting your inadequacies on me.

Quote:
Quote:

Sites like this are not out to commit genocide in the name of atheism.

I would have sworn that I had heard differently here. I seem to remember at least one person claiming they would like to wipe religion from the face of the earth?

Feel free to point out where anyone said by means of violence.

(another dishonesty, I'm betting you'll dodge this point like you have SOOOOOOO many others)

Quote:
Ahhh…now I am starting to get it (not really, I have known for sometime). You have a skewed perception of what Jesus is all about. This would be understandable given that you (your side) seems to claim He isn’t real because we can’t find his birth certificate.

Another dishonesty, this one extremely trivial. Point out where anyone said they want to see the birth certificate of Jesus.

Then follow up by actually proving Jesus is real without using the bible, doing such would be circular logic of course, which proves nothing. Use extra-biblical sources of his life that coincide with the biblical story that originated from the time of his existence.

$10, says you'll dodge this one too. (I'll give any loses to Rook)

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don’t have time to explain it to you now.

Allah is real, I don't have the time to explain it to you now.

See how pointless it is even bringing it up, you likely don't believe me? By the way this is two posts in a row you claim you don't have the time.

Quote:
See…this has gotten even farther off track! Of course, I am just as guilty as you for being lead astray. I find it very ironic that the more you claim to be so different from theists, the more you show through your responses, actions and behaviors that you are very similar to those behaviors, you claim to be against.

The behavior we are against is irrational thought, basing beliefs off of no evidence. Once again, show us where we've done that.

You've failed at doing so, over and over and over and over.

Where's the dead horse? It needs to get beat again.

Quote:
I have wasted enough time for today. Maybe later?

How bout you either start being intellectually honest, or you just give up?

MOD HAT: Increase the level of honesty in your posts, go back and address many of the issues that you've dodged, or your account will be blocked from posting on this site in accordance with the rules already posted to you in this thread that still appy.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was re-reading this thread

I was re-reading this thread 'cause I recently got a myspace message saying that the RRS "act like a religion and flaunt many of the flaws of religion themselves". I disagreed. I believe the main flaw of religion is believing in a non-existent god-entity. Many of Sapient's points regarding brainwashing were very informative. I also enjoyed this post.

elnathan wrote:

Wow…I liked that video! I really liked it when the good doctor got so flustered that I thought he was going to snap (yes, I do like that word, now). The ending was interesting. How handy the tape and mic was still rolling, but dr. didn’t allow us to hear what was actually said; pretty convenient in my perception of accurate documentaries. I thought pastor Ted was going to loose it, but it was noteworthy that he actually did keep his cool, while the other dude was….man… did you see those facial features, the eye blinking, the rapid breathing, swallowing, the flushed skin. Man, the good doctor was about to loose it.

We all now know that this is because Mr. Haggard has a long history of being able to lie to thousands of people..... ROTF