atheist hating

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
atheist hating

I have ran into alot more atheist haters than usual in the past month. I just got off a cruise a bit ago and on it there was a big fight because a bunch of religious "gangstas" didnt like me being an atheist. How do I avoid that kind of thing? I cant seem to get them to even consider themselves wrong.
I also just kinda lost my girlfriend because her mother doesnt like me being athest. She was alright with it. But as soon as the parents found out they took her away and I am not allowed to even talk to her. A friend tells me to move on, but if there is a way to get her parents to let me see her again I would like to try. Does anyone have any ideas? They would be very appreciated.

suttsteve
User is offlineOffline
My guess would be that those

My guess would be that those people aren't so much worried about being wrong as they are influenced by all the crazy misconceptions about atheists out there. I seriously doubt that anyone would beat up on atheists or try to "protect" their children from us, if they simply knew that atheists only lack a belief in gods and do not worship Satan, rape babies, etc. It's amazing what some people are willing to believe about anyone who doesn't think the way they do.

reason_passion
Rational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
atheist haters

Unfortunately, I'll have to disagree with the other poster on this thread. The religious hatred for us atheists has little to do with ignorance about what we believe and a lot to do with psychological well-being. Unfortunately for you greg, you've gotten caught in the middle of a problem prevalent among those who are incapable of thinking they could be wrong.

When I was a believer, shortly before deconversion, I started down a truly radical fundamentalist streak of thought. Despite still being a believer, even then I was ostracized, threatened and was even referred to as an anti-christ at one point. Having since become an atheist, I have sat across from christians and islamists who would have had no compunction in slitting my throat from ear to ear. It is bad enough to believe something different and for that you deserve hell, but to disbelieve in it all is not only to deny the existence of their cosmic bully, but also to deny a fundamental aspect of their worldview that has more to do with how the world acts around them than it does with god.

I'm not telling you to move on about the girl, but perhaps to simply recognize what is going on. If she's old enough to make her own decisions then she needs to find out just what she stands for and act on it. Your ability to make her parents see you is contingent upon them having an open mind, a fact clearly not in evidence due to their reaction.

To stand for truth is a lonely life, to act upon that truth is lonelier still. But we're all here and there are more women out there. And despite the loss, to not act upon that truth is to let their facade be the only thing people see.

Every one of your relationships to man and to nature must be a definite expression of your real, individual life corresponding to the object of your will. -Erich Fromm

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with you entirely,

I agree with you entirely, but that I would still like to atleast salvage the relationship. I mean, where I live, not alot of people even consider talking to me for my atheism, its a very religious town.

Nick
User is offlineOffline
ARRG! I hate religious

ARRG! I hate religious parents. Have you tried even talking to them? That poor girl... If she really loved you she'd stay with you anyway, regardless of what those fucking idiot bigot parents of hers say. Oh well. I guess she doesn't.

Therefore, I have to agree with your friend and say "move on." If she's willing to let your relationship slide that easily than she never really cared anyway, and is probably either a selfish bitch or a spineless coward... or both.

Oh, and move. Far away. As soon as possible. I hear England's pretty nice. Smiling

Wilson: "We were afraid that if you found out you solved a case with absolutely no medical evidence you'd think you were God." House: "God doesn't limp."

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
her parents kinda pushed it

her parents kinda pushed it to the extreme. they screen wherever she goes. and who she hangs out with.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am just a bit curious as

I am just a bit curious as to how the hell you beat the, "god made it to be that way" retort??? I can't stand it, but it is used to often.

Jutter
Jutter's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greg wrote:I am just a bit

Greg wrote:
I am just a bit curious as to how the hell you beat the, "god made it to be that way" retort??? I can't stand it, but it is used to often.

How about: "that's not up to you to decide."

How about something that rhymes sorta?

"What justification have you got, if you need to hide behind a god?"

~Let us be reasonable~

You want to claim there's such a thing as "the supernatural"? Fine. I hereby declare you to be "paracorrect" in doing so. 

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
Greg wrote:I am just a bit

Greg wrote:

ha ha, just be a complete infantile prick and go "Why? why? why? why? why?" but let them get frustrated. keep a cool head always, otherwise you'll just personify the evil they already attribute to you.

Fear is the mindkiller.

Nick
User is offlineOffline
Jutter wrote:Greg wrote:I am

Jutter wrote:
Greg wrote:

How about: "that's not up to you to decide."

How about something that rhymes sorta?

"What justification have you got, if you need to hide behind a god?"

Oooo, those are nice ones. Smiling

Wilson: "We were afraid that if you found out you solved a case with absolutely no medical evidence you'd think you were God." House: "God doesn't limp."