On child indoctrination and religion based education

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
On child indoctrination and religion based education

Just a little rant I wrote. Constructive critism is always welcome.

Disclaimer: This article is in no way scientific, researched, or supported by anything. It is merely the opinions and ranting of an individual.

Everyone is born atheist. However, only a fortunate minority stay that way. For the rest of us, indoctrination into the religion or belief system of our parents is in order. Now depending on aforementioned religion, and the severity of the parent’s belief, this can have a varying degree of impact on the child. For those born into muslim families, particularly in the Middle East, this indoctrination will be virtually impossible to escape from in latter years. For those in a Western environment, leaving the belief of one’s parents may have largely varying results, depending again on the factors mentioned above. The purpose of this essay will be to explore and condemn, through my personal experiences, the morally reprehensible fact of child indoctrination. The focus will be on fundamentalist christianity, as this is of course what I experienced and likely the majority of the readers.

I had what can only be described as the extreme misfortune of being born into a christian family. One that could be viewed as fundamentalist. Now, while it is true there are far worse things that could happen to one, I’m still not fond of the fact. My earliest memories involve christianity in some form or another. I was engulfed in it before I had the slightest discernment of true and false, before I could question anything. I was sent to christian schools my whole life. I was never asked if I wished to attend such facilities, neither did I think anything of it. Even at five, I was steeped in it; I thought nothing of my christian surroundings. I have a clear memory at about five years of age, when I first recited the ‘sinners pray”. The teacher instructed us to follow what she did, and of course we did. I was never asked if I wanted to be a christian, or if I understood the implications of my acts. I was simply brainwashed before I had any inkling what I was doing. I would repeat this prayer many times through out my schooling career, no doubt a reinforcement of that initial indoctrination.

Why do people do this? No adult would be forced into something without understanding and accepting it. Why then, is it perfectly acceptable to prey on children who will trustingly believe what ever an adult says. Is religion that desperate as to take advantage of a child’s natural naivety and innocence? It is ironic how christians will decry muslims who bring their children up to never know anything else, while their child is busy learning creationism.

Now, woes betide those who, upon reaching their mature years, decide this isn’t for them. Many will attest to the fact that coming out the closet in regard to religious differences is difficult in the extreme. Many will be forced to live a lie, others cut off from their families. And again, because children were forced into something they didn’t understand. The child must then suffer because his parents decided he will believe what they do. Yes, you have free will, but don’t try using it.

Another aspect of this which I believe is equally important and detestable is religion based education. This is a magnificent tool for brainwashing. I spent 13 years at christian schools. The child is constantly bombarded with religion, surrounded by dozens who have been similarly indoctrinated, and usually free thought is quickly suppressed by teachers. I realize this may sound like an angry rant, I may seem like I want christian schools on par with concentration camps. However, one who has been freed can not help but be disgusted. Hundreds of children, forcibly fed the bible, compelled to pray, to recite pledges to god. I don’t believe any of them asked to be there. They have never known anything else and possibly never will. Is this christianity? Is this free will?

Now I was a great indoctrinate. I wholly accepted the message and never blinked or saw anything wrong with the system I was on. I had about 8 months of school left when I became an atheist. Then I saw everyone in new light. Going to a Christian school when you find yourself to be a vehement atheist is not easy. It is torturous. What upsets me the most though, is my education. I feel severely cheated. I often heard people say that when they became christian, they had a “thirst” for god. Well, when I became a atheist, I had a thirst for knowledge. This is were the problem is. My fundamentalist christian education was …lacking. I believe my science knowledge must be disturbingly sub-standard. After all, I was taught creationism as scientific fact. That dinosaurs and humans co-existed. That the flood was how fossils were created. That the earth is 6,000 years old. And I never doubted it for a second. Indeed, when required to write 200 words on why I didn’t believe evolution, I easily filled two pages. History too, was marred by what can best be called “skewed viewpoints”. Now that I am finished school, I have to go re-learn the truth. When it comes to things like evolution, I have minus knowledge. My science consistently ridiculed evolution. And I knew no better. I have biblical studies on my Grade 12 certificate. Seriously? What am I supposed to do with that? Now it’s up to me to find the desire and time to learn the truth. All because I was never asked, never given choice.

This is why I find child indoctrination so repulsive. It is all well for the parent, content that they are doing good, but chances are it will leave the child in a unhealthy situation. Free will is supposedly the foundation of christian god’s love, so why don’t his followers try applying some to their own children.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Looks good, loc.  I was

Looks good, loc.  I was raised Baptist and was forced to go to church.  No religious school though.  Thank goodness that.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

SabbySu
SabbySu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very well written. I really

Very well written. I really enjoy reading the posts from the Atheists on this site.

I know exactly how you feel, for the lacking education department. I did get to go to public school. (Unlike my sister who went to a private school full time except for her senior year)

As I was cleaning out the garage I was reflecting on how I'm 25 and how much farther ahead I'd be if at a young age I was encouraged to pursue education and a career path.  

I found myself wondering. What the hell did my mom try to teach me... I ran across these books I was given as a teen... "Letters from God to Teens" "God are you there?" & some fat book to use to study the bible.

So like you and many others out there... we were force fed God as a critical life tool that did nothing productive for us. 

Thanks for sharing your essay.  

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
SabbySu wrote: Very well

SabbySu wrote:

Very well written. I really enjoy reading the posts from the Atheists on this site.

I know exactly how you feel, for the lacking education department. I did get to go to public school. (Unlike my sister who went to a private school full time except for her senior year)

As I was cleaning out the garage I was reflecting on how I'm 25 and how much farther ahead I'd be if at a young age I was encouraged to pursue education and a career path.  

I found myself wondering. What the hell did my mom try to teach me... I ran across these books I was given as a teen... "Letters from God to Teens" "God are you there?" & some fat book to use to study the bible.

So like you and many others out there... we were force fed God as a critical life tool that did nothing productive for us. 

Thanks for sharing your essay.  

SabbySu, you need to post more often.  It's nice to see a pretty female atheist on the forums as much as possible.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: SabbySu, you

Watcher wrote:
SabbySu, you need to post more often. It's nice to see a pretty female atheist on the forums as much as possible.

I concur.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Sean16
User is offlineOffline
I agree with a lot of your

I agree with a lot of your points, but I think that I have benefited from my catholic education quite a bit. 

Im currently on my 12th year of catholic schools, junior in highschool right now.  Granted it's a fairly moderate catholic school, they teach evolution and such, and it's in Seattle, so a generally open minded city aswell.

Without having a religion class I would have taken a lot longer to begin seeing holes in religion, and would most likely not be as interested in philosophical thought like I am now.  I might not even consider myself an agnostic athiest if i was never exposed to it.  Which I've found out was the idea of my dad, who is also an athiest, to expose me to it just enough to be able to see right through it.

However, through grade school i accepted religion as fact, but more or less ignored it.  It wasn't until my freshman year of highschool, with the combination of my english teacher encouraging us to think outside the box and the World of Warcraft off topic forums, that I really started thinking about it.  It is getting tough to endure religion class though, now that i can see faults in every single thing being taught.

So basically, if im going to encounter religion in the real world, I might as well have experience with it in school. It's the parents that try to force religions on their kids that cause the most damage.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sean16 wrote: I agree with

Sean16 wrote:

I agree with a lot of your points, but I think that I have benefited from my catholic education quite a bit.

Im currently on my 12th year of catholic schools, junior in highschool right now. Granted it's a fairly moderate catholic school, they teach evolution and such, and it's in Seattle, so a generally open minded city aswell.

Without having a religion class I would have taken a lot longer to begin seeing holes in religion, and would most likely not be as interested in philosophical thought like I am now. I might not even consider myself an agnostic athiest if i was never exposed to it. Which I've found out was the idea of my dad, who is also an athiest, to expose me to it just enough to be able to see right through it.

However, through grade school i accepted religion as fact, but more or less ignored it. It wasn't until my freshman year of highschool, with the combination of my english teacher encouraging us to think outside the box and the World of Warcraft off topic forums, that I really started thinking about it. It is getting tough to endure religion class though, now that i can see faults in every single thing being taught.

So basically, if im going to encounter religion in the real world, I might as well have experience with it in school. It's the parents that try to force religions on their kids that cause the most damage.

You sound quite fortunate with both your school and circumstances. I'm glad you were able to take something away from religious education, but when the closest thing you hve to a religion class is being told 'all other religions are the work of satan" its different. It's awesome you're seeing through it now though. 

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent post. Thanks for

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing your story.

I was fortunate to not have "benefited" by any religious indoctrination as a child. I applaud your escape from the evil clutches of religion and envy your current thirst for knowledge.

/Salute

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

SabbySu
SabbySu's picture
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten wrote: Watcher

joshpatten wrote:

Watcher wrote:
SabbySu, you need to post more often. It's nice to see a pretty female atheist on the forums as much as possible.

I concur.

Aww thanks guys. I'll try not to be such a silent reader, and a more active poster.  

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great article.  This

Great article.  This slipped by me when you first posted it, but I read it after your post in THIS THREAD.  My education was a bit different, since I went to Christian schools only until high school.  Unfortunately, I went to high school in the sphincter of the deep south, so my science education wasn't much better than if I'd gone to religious schools.  Fortunately, I went to good colleges, and have become an avid autodidact.  Most people, I'm afraid, don't have time to spend years of their adult life learning what they should have learned in school.  Incidentally, I still have time and money to do such things because I said "NO" when I was married and my wife tried to talk me into kids when i knew it wasn't a good idea.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

lledowyn
lledowyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great article, although I'm

Great article, although I'm sorry to hear the experiences that you were forced to go through.  I had a similar experience in that for the first 7 years of school, I went to a catholic school in Puerto Rico.  As you might know, given that Puerto Rico was a Spanish colony for so many years, the majority of the people there are very catholic.  However, the school that I went to, save for the fact that there was a religion class, was pretty much normal.  In this school, I was able to learn the rudiments of science, and I also got to learn English as well.  Had I gone to one of the normal public schools in Puerto Rico, I definitely would have been worse off.

I really think that my parents were doing what they thought was best for me, which explains why they sent me to that school.  Thankfully though, when we moved to the US, they sent me to the normal public school system here.  This was a fortuitous event for me, because it allowed me to see different points of view.  This is really what started my path to my atheism. 

As far as how you feel about your education, even though you might feel that you are left behind in your learning, keep in mind that knowledge is something that you can attain at any time.  If you choose to go to college, believe me, they will do everything they have to do in order to "catch you up" to where you need to be in your chosen degree path.  You might have a harder time of it than the folks that went to public school, but I think you will come off the experience a stronger person. 

Keep working at it, and I'm sure you will learn what you need to learn. Smiling

CNErasmus
CNErasmus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great Story!!!

Awesome essay Loc!! I really enjoyed it. Very well written! Don't be too hard on yourself concerning your education, you came across as very intelligent. No worries here. After all, you have chosen rationality over superstition!

"SabbySu, you need to post more often. It's nice to see a pretty female atheist on the forums as much as possible."

I'll third that!!!